BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-10-07 1:04 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by alaskatri
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by JBacarella Has anyone heard of the new helmets specialized sells that have a gps chip and blue tooth to track your ride and it sends out and emergency text if you crash and don't respond to a message on your phone within a designated period. A friend of mine just bought one. It an email when he starts and finishes his ride and a text if he crashes.

I have no info on that but I'd love his review.

Such a great idea. I'm sure my wife would appreciate me having one of these. I have a couple of different beacons and GPS safety devices we take when we go boating as well as hiking/hunting in back country. It looks like you can buy just the sensor and add it to your existing helmet as well. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stories/angihttps://www.specialized.com/us/en/angi-crash-sensor/p/170203?color=&searchText=60519-8000

This looks like a great idea for anyone who rides alone. I probably will get one. 

I will ask him to give me a review. Hopefully it doesn't include a crash test

Crash test not necessary!

2020-10-07 1:33 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by Hot Runner One of my students has four of those chickens and showed us both the chickens and the blue eggs on our Zoom call for Pet Day!

Nice...we love it when the youth show their birds.  About 15 years ago they start to do "Showmanship" contest to encourage youth to show their chickens.  I will be going to a Poultry Show in November that is about 2 hours from where I live and the winner of the Junior Showmanship Contest at that show gets $150 cash. Not bad for a day of show-and-tell at the poultry show.

I pulled the trigger and registered for the Sprint Duathlon on this Saturday.  It will be a 2mi/12mi/2mi.  It is hard to believe that a year ago I had never done a Duathlon and that I didn't feel it was worth my time to travel to a race that wasn't even organized enough to have a swim.   In 2020 I have done 5 duathlons if you count my two virtual duathlons via the USAT and my homemade duathlon the day the first race that was canceled was supposed to be held.  So... this will make 6 duathlons in 2020 and my last race of the year in September of 2019 had a canceled swim due to weather so it feels more like 7 duathlons in the past year.

Be careful there! Soon you'll be stalking the du rankings!

Speaking of which, Ann-Marie and Randee, were you as shocked as I was to see that the 2018 IM Chattanooga was ranked as a du???  I mean, fair enough, it's not like we got in the water.  It was just a surprise!

I didn't know it until reading your post!

2020-10-07 1:35 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Pennsylvania

Curtis, I love your chickens and their blue eggs!!  I've been flirting with the idea of getting a very small flock (2-5) of some sort of chickens but haven't made the jump yet.

And how cool is it that you have all these races for us to vicariously enjoy?! 

2020-10-08 1:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Speaking of which, Ann-Marie and Randee, were you as shocked as I was to see that the 2018 IM Chattanooga was ranked as a du???  I mean, fair enough, it's not like we got in the water.  It was just a surprise!

Too...late.  That has already happened.  

My race last September that had the canceled swim was counted as a Triathlon.  I asked before the race started if it would be counted as a Triathlon or a Duathlon since there was no swim and I was told that results were always listed at what they were scheduled for.  I was happy about that because I needed my 3rd race for my ranking and if it got counted as a Duathlon I would have been out of luck.  There was a Duathlon option and I saw that the 2-3 people who had been registered for that option were scored separately even though they did the exact same race at the exact same time as everyone else.  First place in the Duathlon would have been 4th place is his AG if he was scored with the people who were scheduled for the Triathlon.  :-)

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-10-08 1:04 PM
2020-10-09 10:20 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by melbo55

Curtis, I love your chickens and their blue eggs!!  I've been flirting with the idea of getting a very small flock (2-5) of some sort of chickens but haven't made the jump yet.

Some people are cat people, some are dog people. I am a chicken person.  Good luck with starting the flock of hens they can be a lot of fun those cat and dog people will be jealous that your pet makes you your breakfast.   

2020-10-10 9:33 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by melbo55

The super sprint Duathlon went well today.  I set the course record meaning that of the 30 some people that were there for the inaugural race I was first place over all.  That is my second overall win at a sanctioned USAT race.  I road my new bike that I have battling with on the fit since June.  I made two more adjustments to the fit this week and my priming trainer ride yesterday morning felt like I finally had things dialed in.  It felt great today so I am happy that I can finally stop adjusting the bike and just enjoy riding it now. 

My goal for the race was to run faster closing run than opening run and to break my PR for fastest average speed for a bike leg in a race.  I think I was pretty even on the opening and closing run and haven't seen results yet so I am keeping my fingers crossed for a negative split.  There were lots of rough patch of road on the bike ride and hills too so it was not a PR course for the bike and I was just happy to make it off the course without a flat tire. 

This was the only race my family got to come to this year.  They were a great support.  It was fun to have them there. 

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-10-12 9:01 AM

2020-10-12 12:45 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Congrats, Curtis! Sounds like a great day for you! 

2020-10-12 4:14 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Nice Curtis!! Love the homemade signs!

2020-10-13 8:17 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by lisac957

Nice Curtis!! Love the homemade signs!

The race director liked the homemade signs too.  When they read the awards/placings the RD read my name with the Daddy-O appellation.  

2020-10-13 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

PSA for anyone needing a new/wanting a new garmin product (watches, varia, tracker), they are up to 48% off on Amazon. It's part of the Prime Days sale, so you must have Prime and be logged in to see the deals. Not all watches are part of the deal, 

ETA: I'm told the Garmin site has a sale too. confusion reigns , this may not be true!

Edited by amd723 2020-10-13 10:38 AM
2020-10-13 10:28 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

PSA for anyone needing a new/wanting a new garmin product (watches, varia, tracker), they are up to 48% off on Amazon. It's part of the Prime Days sale, so you must have Prime and be logged in to see the deals. Not all watches are part of the deal, 

DC Rainmaker has a decent list going as well, including the Varia RTL510 (not the newer 515 but still, a nice product)

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/10/amazon-prime-day-best-sports-tech-deals.html

2020-10-13 10:29 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

ETA: I'm told the Garmin site has a sale too.

Makes me want one - even though i have absolutely no actual need for one ... 

2020-10-13 10:31 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

I know! I'm trying hard not to think of some reason to buy one. Or maybe another varia -a gravel bike needs a varia doesn't it? I can't let gators sneak up behind me!

2020-10-13 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

DC Rainmaker has a decent list going as well, including the Varia RTL510 (not the newer 515 but still, a nice product)

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/10/amazon-prime-day-best-sports-tech-deals.html

Amazon has the 510 too.

2020-10-13 10:33 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I know! I'm trying hard not to think of some reason to buy one. Or maybe another varia -a gravel bike needs a varia doesn't it? I can't let gators sneak up behind me!

Haha!  Maybe the gravel bike needs a mount for the Varia ;-)  I know! I know! Crazy talk!

2020-10-13 10:39 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Amazon has the 510 too.

And the Edge 1030 for the price of the 530. I'm not looking for a touch screen display though. It's to sweaty here for that and I don't want to fiddle with turning the touch screen off, etc.

2020-10-13 10:41 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Haha!  Maybe the gravel bike needs a mount for the Varia ;-)  I know! I know! Crazy talk!

Damn, you are too logical!

I was hoping Stryd would be part of these deals, but I suppose I will have to wait til Black Friday to spend my money on something I probably don't need 

2020-10-13 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I was hoping Stryd would be part of these deals, but I suppose I will have to wait til Black Friday to spend my money on something I probably don't need 

Stryd or Coros or both?

2020-10-13 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Stryd or Coros or both?

I'm leaning toward just the Stryd since i don't actually need a new watch. If i read things correctly, you can load workouts into the Garmin from the stryd app and I think get alerts when you are out of the zones. That is something that I need to confirm bc it might make a difference regarding purchase.

2020-10-13 11:59 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Stryd or Coros or both?

I'm leaning toward just the Stryd since i don't actually need a new watch. If i read things correctly, you can load workouts into the Garmin from the stryd app and I think get alerts when you are out of the zones. That is something that I need to confirm bc it might make a difference regarding purchase.

Yeah, the app is new since my marathon training last year.

https://blog.stryd.com/2020/04/02/stryd-connect-iq-power-based-workouts-app/

2020-10-13 2:15 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Prime day deal Lasko fan for $59.  I got a similar fan and it was a game changer on the trainer. DO IT!  Lots of air, no more noise than my crummy fan.

(hopefully fixed the formatting)

Edited by jmkizer 2020-10-13 2:55 PM

2020-10-13 3:05 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by Hot Runner One of my students has four of those chickens and showed us both the chickens and the blue eggs on our Zoom call for Pet Day!

Nice...we love it when the youth show their birds.  About 15 years ago they start to do "Showmanship" contest to encourage youth to show their chickens.  I will be going to a Poultry Show in November that is about 2 hours from where I live and the winner of the Junior Showmanship Contest at that show gets $150 cash. Not bad for a day of show-and-tell at the poultry show.

I pulled the trigger and registered for the Sprint Duathlon on this Saturday.  It will be a 2mi/12mi/2mi.  It is hard to believe that a year ago I had never done a Duathlon and that I didn't feel it was worth my time to travel to a race that wasn't even organized enough to have a swim.   In 2020 I have done 5 duathlons if you count my two virtual duathlons via the USAT and my homemade duathlon the day the first race that was canceled was supposed to be held.  So... this will make 6 duathlons in 2020 and my last race of the year in September of 2019 had a canceled swim due to weather so it feels more like 7 duathlons in the past year.

Sorry, I didn't notice! EEK

and damn all you people pointing out prime day deals. I saw the 1030 this am and was going to think about it but it was gone within 2 hours! Now I've got the varia in my head........
2020-10-13 5:06 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Speaking of deals -- Kevin said that he needed some arm warmers. I started price hunting and found https://cambriabike.com/; where they had buy 2 get 1 free Pearl Izumi arm warmers four pair of Pearl Izumi arm warmers for $37 including shipping.  They arrived today.

2020-10-13 6:45 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Speaking of deals -- Kevin said that he needed some arm warmers. I started price hunting and found https://cambriabike.com/; where they had buy 2 get 1 free Pearl Izumi arm warmers four pair of Pearl Izumi arm warmers for $37 including shipping.  They arrived today.

Great find!

2020-10-14 6:36 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Great find!

I know that some Manatees train with local groups (Randee, I'm looking at you!) and I thought that a group order might work out.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127