BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-11-27 9:55 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by Hot Runner Tomoko says hi to Lilith. Here she is exploring my treadmill and swim cords.

Swiiiiim cords ... the mark of every well-sustained or well-improved swimmer.

I really hope swim cords help. I bought a pair last month. I have no swim options right now, and IM Tulsa in May. If things don't get better and the pools don't open, my best case is swim cords until may. Then hopefully we have a warm Spring so I can swim a couple of weeks in the inland Lakes. Lake Huron isn't swim-able in June. What was I thinking?
I did find out there is a serious problem with my stroke because of the instructional video. Maybe I won't swim like a barge anymore, maybe an icebreaker or tugboat instead.

2020-11-27 10:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I did okay last spring with a combo of the swim cords, dryland exercises for upper body strength, core, and kicking, and "soup can swimming". (You go through the strokes while holding approximately 14-16 oz cans in each hand. It sounds easy....until it isn't. There are some Youtube videos with workouts for this, or just "translate" a normal workout. It takes me about 24 strokes to go 25m, so I just call 50 "strokes" 50m and so on.)

I was in a pretty bad swim fitness state last spring, as my swimming had really been limited all of 2019 by discomfort and limited ROM after breaking my elbow, then I wasn't cleared to swim until early February 2020 after getting the plate and screws out at the end of the year. So I'd had only one month of pain-free swimming and was JUST getting back to any kind of fitness (as in 400-500 not being a huge ordeal) when the Covid closures hit. It was cords and cans only until local OWS become doable about mid-June (and pools opened a few weeks after that). It didn't seem nearly as hard to get back to"normal" as I'd thought. (At least for distance; my sprint speed is even worse than it was pre-injury, though that might be mainly a function of training--I was coming off several months of IM training then a break when I got injured, then focused on building up to a 5K OWS last summer, so speed hasn't been a focus for almost three years now!)

Swimming actually never even felt awkward after the first few hundred meters in the lake in June.... Maybe it was just that my expectations were really low at that point, or maybe the cords and cans were good for something. I remember at first feeling like OMG, this is going to be a real slog and I better keep this short, then all of a sudden something seemed to click and it was heavenly. Maybe just so excited to be back in the water. Plus that lake is really a nice place to swim before the motorboats get going later in the morning! I did take about six weeks (?) to work up to 4K though and about two more to the 5K swim. Dunno--I still think it would be hard to build up IM swim endurance with only cords, soup cans, and the like. But I think if you're a confident swimmer and you could get in 4-6 weeks of water time, you should be able to do it.

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-11-27 10:28 PM
2020-11-28 10:51 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by Hot Runner Tomoko says hi to Lilith. Here she is exploring my treadmill and swim cords.

I really hope swim cords help. I bought a pair last month. I have no swim options right now, and IM Tulsa in May. If things don't get better and the pools don't open, my best case is swim cords until may. Then hopefully we have a warm Spring so I can swim a couple of weeks in the inland Lakes. Lake Huron isn't swim-able in June. What was I thinking? I did find out there is a serious problem with my stroke because of the instructional video. Maybe I won't swim like a barge anymore, maybe an icebreaker or tugboat instead.

What's in the instructional video if I may ask?

2020-11-28 1:17 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Expert

I really hope swim cords help. I bought a pair last month. I have no swim options right now, and IM Tulsa in May. If things don't get better and the pools don't open, my best case is swim cords until may. Then hopefully we have a warm Spring so I can swim a couple of weeks in the inland Lakes. Lake Huron isn't swim-able in June. What was I thinking? I did find out there is a serious problem with my stroke because of the instructional video. Maybe I won't swim like a barge anymore, maybe an icebreaker or tugboat instead.

What's in the instructional video if I may ask?

I just started running searches on YouTube on how to use them, so I have no idea. I watched a bunch until I got the point on what to do with them.
2020-11-30 8:12 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

REMINDER: Today at 11:30 eastern...

Originally posted by jmkizer

Monday the is the monthly Zoom call, if anyone is interested.

---

The last  Monday  of the month at 11:30am eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific).

Monday Meetup: https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

Password: manatee

2020-11-30 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

REMINDER: Today at 11:30 eastern...

Monday the is the monthly Zoom call, if anyone is interested.

---

The last  Monday  of the month at 11:30am eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific).

Monday Meetup: https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

Password: manatee

I'm going to have to bow out, I have a training meeting from 11-2 today.

2020-12-01 11:38 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pennsylvania

Did any manatees take advantage of Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals for gear/goodies?  I'll be getting a Garmin 935 on Thursday.  My husband has been using my old 910XT which has been being a bit fickle lately, so he said to get something new so I can pass along my 920XT.  He thinks it's up in the air who is getting the new watch but we all know it's going to be me.  A totally different face/layout and he doesn't do well with change or technology, so it's a no-brainer I should get it.  LOL

2020-12-01 5:46 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Originally posted by melbo55

Did any manatees take advantage of Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals for gear/goodies?  I'll be getting a Garmin 935 on Thursday.  My husband has been using my old 910XT which has been being a bit fickle lately, so he said to get something new so I can pass along my 920XT.  He thinks it's up in the air who is getting the new watch but we all know it's going to be me.  A totally different face/layout and he doesn't do well with change or technology, so it's a no-brainer I should get it.  LOL

I really like my 935. I've had it for four years. I will probably get a new one this Winter. My battery isn't what it was, and if I have a slow race in May, I think I will outlast my battery.
I did get some closeout stuff from Zoot
2020-12-01 6:28 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Nice! I have the 935 and really like it though it’s started giving me weird elevation numbers. Not crazy high like some I’ve seen, but this May be the start! its a total no-brainer that the new watch should be yours!

I didn’t get any training gear or goodies, but I did buy a Roomba! It should be here Monday and then I can see whether Teddy will think it’s a new, expensive toy!

2020-12-01 7:38 PM
in reply to: amd723

Originally posted by amd723

I didn’t get any training gear or goodies, but I did buy a Roomba! It should be here Monday and then I can see whether Teddy will think it’s a new, expensive toy!

Or maybe he'll be scared to death of it? My dog is terribly afraid of the vacuum. A couple weeks ago my wife was vacuuming up in our loft. Dog was up there and decided it was safer to hop on the running treadmill with my daughter than to have the vacuum get too close to him. It did not end well for anyone involved. I do think he's learned his lesson on that though.
2020-12-01 7:38 PM

Or maybe he'll be scared to death of it? My dog is terribly afraid of the vacuum. A couple weeks ago my wife was vacuuming up in our loft. Dog was up there and decided it was safer to hop on the running treadmill with my daughter than to have the vacuum get too close to him. It did not end well for anyone involved. I do think he's learned his lesson on that though.

2020-12-02 7:34 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri

Haha, that must have been some sight!

Thankfully, my dog is not afraid of vacuums. Unfortunately, he  is a jerk  and I can see him chasing it around.

2020-12-02 1:18 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by alaskatri

Haha, that must have been some sight!

Thankfully, my dog is not afraid of vacuums. Unfortunately, he  is a jerk  and I can see him chasing it around.

haha my dog in poland hated the vacuum and treated it like the biggest enemy. I currently have a cat, who believes he's the boss in the house, and just keeps watching the vacuum patiently, making sure we don't vacuum for too long, not to disturb cat's precious time and space...
2020-12-02 1:20 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
Sorry if it was mentioned in this forum, and I missed it... but I want to say that Melanie's paintings and drawings are AMAZING! What a talent!
I absolutely loved the blue boat and the waterfall...
(Melanie's posting pictures of her art on FB)
2020-12-02 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I upgraded to a Kickr Core.

Well, I also got socks from REI, Kevin got a jersey from Primal (yes, AM, another one!), Kevin got some kind of connected alarm clock thing.

I think that you are right, you should get the new watch.  How else will you be able to train him on it?

2020-12-02 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I really like my 935. I've had it for four years. I will probably get a new one this Winter. My battery isn't what it was, and if I have a slow race in May, I think I will outlast my battery. I did get some closeout stuff from Zoot

For years I had a cr*ppy watch and I just did not record the swim. It's not like I look at my watch and adjust my pace while I'm swimming anyway.  Granted, you don't get the cook map showing how straight (or not) you swim.  Anyway, I just put my watch on in transition and got an extra 1.5 hours to spend on the run

2020-12-02 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice! I have the 935 and really like it though it’s started giving me weird elevation numbers. Not crazy high like some I’ve seen, but this May be the start! its a total no-brainer that the new watch should be yours!

Zoe is pretty sure that the robovac means that she should leave. We have a two story house and we have a robovac for each level (Zoe generates a lot of fur!).  The downstairs one comes on at 10am and she is sure to be upstairs.  The upstairs one comes on at 2pm and she uses that as her cue to go downstairs.

2020-12-02 8:04 PM

User image

Expert

I really like my 935. I've had it for four years. I will probably get a new one this Winter. My battery isn't what it was, and if I have a slow race in May, I think I will outlast my battery. I did get some closeout stuff from Zoot

For years I had a cr*ppy watch and I just did not record the swim. It's not like I look at my watch and adjust my pace while I'm swimming anyway.  Granted, you don't get the cook map showing how straight (or not) you swim.  Anyway, I just put my watch on in transition and got an extra 1.5 hours to spend on the run

Since I have 1 swim speed, the swim equivalent of walking, I use my watch so I know how much of it I have to endure the water. I am incapable of swimming at any other speed, not matter how long of short the swim is. I also need to know (100% an emotional comfort issue for me) how long I've been going, so I can figure out the pace I need to finish. My first IM when my watch died on the run, I freaked a little, because I couldn't calculate my pace to make sure I finished on time. It's a weird habit I started when I was a teenager and way before GPS. I calculate pace and distance in my head to figure out finishing time.
2020-12-02 8:51 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
That is kind of funny. I am also a one speed wonder! There is only maybe 5 seconds/100m for me between a hard pace for 400m and my IM pace. Fortunately by AG tri standards my swim speed is actually pretty good for a full IM, not bad for HIM, okay for Oly, semi-serviceable for sprints. I am really mediocre to pretty awful at anything shorter than that but as an adult never have to swim that anyway in a competition!

The good news (I think?) on the swim front is that our newly announced regulations allow outdoor pools to re-open tomorrow. There is one such facility within about 50 miles and it is a 10-15 minute drive from our house. (The rest are closed for the winter or due to renovations.) I now have 12 swim slots for the remainder of the year. So I am going to keep trying to maximize my swim time/yards. (My only other training goal is to make it to 200 hours of biking for 2020. Wish me luck--15 hours and change to go. Trying not to go down to the wire as much as the first time I did that--Mile 200 happened early afternoon on December 31! (During my first-ever century, much of it in the rain, on hilly dirt/mud roads, on a bike tour in Sri Lanka! Only ride I've ever had that included a detour around an elephant.) The bad news is that only the outdoor pool is open, and Oregon sure isn't Florida or California. Mostly 30's or 40's when I swim. But, I guess as our fearless leader said, "It is what it is." There is water, so I'm not complaining (except when I exit the water). Still better than swim cords!
2020-12-03 6:45 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Karen, if memory serves, you are a triathlete that can be described as a swimming runner who tolerates the bike. I was talking with a friend this week about Survival of the Shawangunks. This may be the race for you. I'm not sure if the race has made it through "these challenging times" but I sure hope so. Anything that is a bit different is a winner to me.

2020-12-03 12:04 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Hot Runner

That is kind of funny. I am also a one speed wonder! There is only maybe 5 seconds/100m for me between a hard pace for 400m and my IM pace. Fortunately by AG tri standards my swim speed is actually pretty good for a full IM, not bad for HIM, okay for Oly, semi-serviceable for sprints. I am really mediocre to pretty awful at anything shorter than that but as an adult never have to swim that anyway in a competition!

The good news (I think?) on the swim front is that our newly announced regulations allow outdoor pools to re-open tomorrow. There is one such facility within about 50 miles and it is a 10-15 minute drive from our house. (The rest are closed for the winter or due to renovations.) I now have 12 swim slots for the remainder of the year. So I am going to keep trying to maximize my swim time/yards. (My only other training goal is to make it to 200 hours of biking for 2020. Wish me luck--15 hours and change to go. Trying not to go down to the wire as much as the first time I did that--Mile 200 happened early afternoon on December 31! (During my first-ever century, much of it in the rain, on hilly dirt/mud roads, on a bike tour in Sri Lanka! Only ride I've ever had that included a detour around an elephant.) The bad news is that only the outdoor pool is open, and Oregon sure isn't Florida or California. Mostly 30's or 40's when I swim. But, I guess as our fearless leader said, "It is what it is." There is water, so I'm not complaining (except when I exit the water). Still better than swim cords!

Oh wow for the outdoor swim...! Funny enough, when I visited Florida in December and February, they closed their pools when the weather was 70 degrees (which was considered HOT for us, Chicagoans...), and recently came back from Vegas area with the pools closed as well due to "cold"... Interesting that Oregon has no problem with cooler air and opening the pools

Good for you! I hope you get some swim in. Indoor pools in my area are in a reservation system, and only allow 6 people... so it's impossible to get in :/

2020-12-03 3:42 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Karen, if memory serves, you are a triathlete that can be described as a swimming runner who tolerates the bike. I was talking with a friend this week about Survival of the Shawangunks. This may be the race for you. I'm not sure if the race has made it through "these challenging times" but I sure hope so. Anything that is a bit different is a winner to me.

Speaking of races, we need an update on the event that you did last weekend!

2020-12-03 4:17 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Speaking of races, we need an update on the event that you did last weekend!

In keeping with my mid pack feeling, I placed 3rd out of 5 in the first heat, 2nd out of 4 in the second heat for a total of 14 point. Nipped at the line as I laid up in the last 50 yards or so, because the parking lot is sketchy in that section. The guy that beat me was on an MTB with 2.4 tires and is a multiple IM finisher with a Cross Florida time of under 9 hours (Excuses abound). He is a bike beast. The overall winner, same guy, placed 2nd in the first heat and first in the second heat and won with 18 points. Sliding scale (10/8/6/4/2) used for placement in heats. The reality is we figured out this is something we (SCORR) will do as close to the full moon as possible each month in 2021, because it was a blast. 

5 people showed up to race, I don't know if everyone paid the entrance fee of 3 beers. The winner took home the beers that were left in the cooler, although let's be honest, everyone drank one when they were dropped from a heat.  And possibly more after that.

Last part of this is that I am currently 5th on Strava on that segment, but 5 seconds will tie me for first. I'm not much into that sort of thing, but this is one I'll work on, since it is equal parts handling, speed and tactic.

2020-12-04 9:37 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by marysia83 Sorry if it was mentioned in this forum, and I missed it... but I want to say that Melanie's paintings and drawings are AMAZING! What a talent! I absolutely loved the blue boat and the waterfall... (Melanie's posting pictures of her art on FB)

They are breathtaking. Her photography is too.

2020-12-04 11:09 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

The race wasn't held this year, but is still slated for next year.  I have friends who are doing it and it is my goal to get a sub-7 hour HIM in order to at least be eligible to try to enter the race.  I recently learned from one of my friends who is doing the NY SOS that there is a Cape Cod SOS and she's considering it.  Not 100% if it is the same name since the NY SOS is specific to the area in which the race is held.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127