BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-12-14 4:58 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Anyone use an espresso machine? Thinking about getting one that doesn't break the bank, but is also awesome. Anyone have one of those?

I don't have any personal experience but the EN group seems to gravitate towards the Jura models but holy cow, are they $$$$$$$$$$$$.  Let us know what you decide!

So much reading was giving me paralysis by analysis! So, i bought a DeLonghi. Not quite their least expensive, but close!

2020-12-14 6:11 PM

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Things are going fine. I got tested on Friday and those results came back Saturday as negative. I got tested again this morning because we are required to be out of the office on quarantine for 7 full days, and get a negative test within 48 hours prior to returning on day 8. So as long as this test comes through negative, I'm back to the office on Wednesday. The nice thing about living in Alaska is that it is easy to drive to a place where no people are around. My son and I masked up the other day and drove to a spot to cross-country ski for a bit. We didn't see another person at all...until we stopped at the testing site on the way back home for him to get tested. My whole family has tested negative as well. My assistant is definitely on the sick/symptoms spectrum, but nowhere near the point of needing hospital care, so that is good. Her mom has been staying with them, and she came up positive, and her husband is showing symptoms now as well. So it is definitely spreading through her house.
2020-12-14 6:33 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by alaskatri

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Things are going fine. I got tested on Friday and those results came back Saturday as negative. I got tested again this morning because we are required to be out of the office on quarantine for 7 full days, and get a negative test within 48 hours prior to returning on day 8. So as long as this test comes through negative, I'm back to the office on Wednesday. The nice thing about living in Alaska is that it is easy to drive to a place where no people are around. My son and I masked up the other day and drove to a spot to cross-country ski for a bit. We didn't see another person at all...until we stopped at the testing site on the way back home for him to get tested. My whole family has tested negative as well. My assistant is definitely on the sick/symptoms spectrum, but nowhere near the point of needing hospital care, so that is good. Her mom has been staying with them, and she came up positive, and her husband is showing symptoms now as well. So it is definitely spreading through her house.

I'm so glad the results came back negative! That's a relief. When will you get today's results?

I hope your assistant's family get better and stay healthy...
2020-12-14 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by alaskatri

So glad you are negative! This virus can be really bad and it's just not worth the risk. An acquaintance was just discharged from the hospital after 3 weeks. The virus did a lot of organ damage and he is now on Oxygen.
2020-12-15 8:22 PM
in reply to: #5264887

Second test came back today negative. I wasn't terribly concerned because I've felt fine, but ya never know. My assistant is doing better, but I think she'll be out awhile. I've been out 8 days since I last saw her and had 2 negative tests, which is our court protocol. So I'm headed back in to the office tomorrow. Covering hearings from the bedroom for two days with limited access to files was not much fun.
2020-12-15 8:22 PM
in reply to: #5273844

Thanks for all the well wishes

2020-12-16 10:51 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I'm glad to hear you're feeling better
2020-12-16 11:51 AM

This was not a bad way to spend "quarantine" time out of the office.

(Ski pic cropped.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Ski pic cropped.jpg (1300KB - 22 downloads)
2020-12-16 12:13 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Anyone use an espresso machine? Thinking about getting one that doesn't break the bank, but is also awesome. Anyone have one of those?

I don't have any personal experience but the EN group seems to gravitate towards the Jura models but holy cow, are they $$$$$$$$$$$$.  Let us know what you decide!

So much reading was giving me paralysis by analysis! So, i bought a DeLonghi. Not quite their least expensive, but close!

fun! We had a really nice Rancillio for about 10 years, then just sorta stopped making good espresso. We got a medium range Breville to fill the gap last year but it isn't as good the Rancillio but pretty good with a few features that are neat (stops grinding when pre-set do so, same with auto pours a single or double shot

2020-12-16 12:20 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by alaskatri Second test came back today negative. I wasn't terribly concerned because I've felt fine, but ya never know. My assistant is doing better, but I think she'll be out awhile. I've been out 8 days since I last saw her and had 2 negative tests, which is our court protocol. So I'm headed back in to the office tomorrow. Covering hearings from the bedroom for two days with limited access to files was not much fun.

So glad to hear you're okay!

We had similar last week. We got a note from the school that a child in my daughter's class tested positive. It was kind of annoying because there was a serious lag. The child was last in school on Dec 3 and we found out on Dec 10. It likely happened that they didn't test the child and then had to wait for results - nothing malicious or problematic in the process, particularly. But really with a week already gone we were pretty sure we were fine but upset at the possible spread in between. We've been pretty diligent. My only contact was a running partner in the neighbourhood but we worried about the daycare. We all got tested last weekend and results came back negative for all of us. So my 3-year old is back at daycare but my daughter's class is online until Thursday. It does largely confirm that the safety protocols of masks and co-horting seem to be working. 

But i am with you. Ready for us to get past this - but I know we have months still to go. It's not the end yet. 

2020-12-16 2:34 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri Second test came back today negative. I wasn't terribly concerned because I've felt fine, but ya never know. My assistant is doing better, but I think she'll be out awhile. I've been out 8 days since I last saw her and had 2 negative tests, which is our court protocol. So I'm headed back in to the office tomorrow. Covering hearings from the bedroom for two days with limited access to files was not much fun.

I'm glad that you are doing well and I hope that she recovers quickly as well.

One of my coworkers was out literally the entire month of November from covid.  He first felt sick on October 30 and did not return to work until after Thanksgiving.  (we are working from home so no exposure on my part).

2020-12-16 2:34 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri This was not a bad way to spend "quarantine" time out of the office.

BEAUTIFUL!

2020-12-17 9:49 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by alaskatri This was not a bad way to spend "quarantine" time out of the office.

That is indeed an optimal way to quarantine !!

2020-12-18 9:38 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hey Manatees - turns out i need new cycling shoes. any thoughts on the tri shoe vs road shoe and or recommendations?  I am training for 70.3 but pretty open. I've had the same pair of Mavic road shoes which have served me very well for a LONG time but the clips mounted in plastic are starting to break off.  I tend toward narrow feet so i am looking at women's specific

2020-12-18 9:57 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hey Manatees - turns out i need new cycling shoes. any thoughts on the tri shoe vs road shoe and or recommendations?  I am training for 70.3 but pretty open. I've had the same pair of Mavic road shoes which have served me very well for a LONG time but the clips mounted in plastic are starting to break off.  I tend toward narrow feet so i am looking at women's specific

I have the pearl izumi tri fly shoe. It’s about 10 years old and while it looks like it needs a good washing, it is still going strong. So if you decide on a tri shoe I recommend taking a look at them.  That said, I’ve read/heard that for 70.3 and 140.6 races cycling shoes may be more beneficial than tri shoes bc they can be adjusted more, are potentially more aero dynamic, better road performance and maybe some other things. In those longer distances the quick in and out of a tri shoe isn’t needed, so go for the better performance shoe.  For shorter course, a tri shoe is recommended. 
I may buy a road shoe for Choo 70.3 ( assuming it happens in 2021!)

2020-12-18 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I have the pearl izumi tri fly shoe. It’s about 10 years old and while it looks like it needs a good washing, it is still going strong. So if you decide on a tri shoe I recommend taking a look at them.  That said, I’ve read/heard that for 70.3 and 140.6 races cycling shoes may be more beneficial than tri shoes bc they can be adjusted more, are potentially more aero dynamic, better road performance and maybe some other things. In those longer distances the quick in and out of a tri shoe isn’t needed, so go for the better performance shoe.  For shorter course, a tri shoe is recommended. 

I've always used road shoes for triathlon.  Honestly, I'd pick whatever you think will be comfortable for that long on the bike. Another 30 seconds in T1 is not likely to make or break your day in an HIM or IM. 

I just saw Mavic road shoes on sale at Cambria Bike (https://cambriabike.com/pages/search-results-page?q=mavic+road&page=1&rb_product_type=Shoes+-+Road). I have no idea if that;s what you are looking for.

BTW, I'm in the market for some gravel shoes.  I have very very very old mtb shoes that I am using now. I kind of wanted to try something on but that's not happening right now so I am making due.  Suggestions are welcome.

2020-12-19 12:01 PM

User image

Expert
I have tri-shoes, but I also don't wear socks. I did switch out the insoles for the massaging ones. The stiff carbon soles make my feet fall asleep.
2020-12-19 6:42 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Originally posted by JBacarella

I have tri-shoes, but I also don't wear socks. I did switch out the insoles for the massaging ones. The stiff carbon soles make my feet fall asleep.

I never thought of switching insoles! Which ones to you use?

I have a shim in my left shoe that I keep forgetting to put in my new shoe. Maybe if I switched insoles I would finally remember!
2020-12-20 4:18 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Expert
Originally posted by fortissimo

Originally posted by JBacarella

I never thought of switching insoles! Which ones to you use?

I have a shim in my left shoe that I keep forgetting to put in my new shoe. Maybe if I switched insoles I would finally remember!

I just got off the rack Dr. Scholl's messaging insoles. Because they are the messaging type with the little bumps, I did use glide on the bottom of my feet until I got used to them. I have used the gel insoles before and never had a problem.
2020-12-21 1:09 PM

I'm curious if anyone here subscribes to the premium Strava features? Pros/cons, worth doing? As we head into a new year, I am thinking of monthly and annual goals, and I think I like the layout of their goals feature. Wondering if anyone uses that? Thanks.
2020-12-22 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Slowtwitch has been spying on us!  They agree that for longer distances, whichever shoe is most comfortable is the correct answer.  For sprints, however, a tri shoe is best.

2020-12-22 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri I'm curious if anyone here subscribes to the premium Strava features? Pros/cons, worth doing? As we head into a new year, I am thinking of monthly and annual goals, and I think I like the layout of their goals feature. Wondering if anyone uses that? Thanks.

I don't personally subscribe to Strava, however, I think that if you would do well with their Goals feature and their training analysis/fitness and freshness dashboard, I say DOOOO EEEETTT!

I don't pay for Strava because I am currently paying for Training Peaks and there is a bit of overlap there.

2020-12-22 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Slowtwitch has been spying on us!  They agree that for longer distances, whichever shoe is most comfortable is the correct answer.  For sprints, however, a tri shoe is best.

Good to know we are ahead of slowtwitch!

2020-12-22 9:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri I'm curious if anyone here subscribes to the premium Strava features? Pros/cons, worth doing? As we head into a new year, I am thinking of monthly and annual goals, and I think I like the layout of their goals feature. Wondering if anyone uses that? Thanks.

I don't personally subscribe to Strava, however, I think that if you would do well with their Goals feature and their training analysis/fitness and freshness dashboard, I say DOOOO EEEETTT!

I don't pay for Strava because I am currently paying for Training Peaks and there is a bit of overlap there.

I don’t pay for Strava bc it would just be one more platform for me to ignore I don’t follow tss or whatever other performance metrics there are, I just try to follow whatever plan I have and hit the pace and distance  ( or time) numbers given. If I’m fatigued I rest either by not doing a workout or by easing the intensity . I am always interested in what my pace is or power numbers but beyond that, I let the plan do the heavy lifting on all other  metrics! But, like Janyne said, if you don’t have something with those type of features, Strava would be useful. I know that without a structured plan to follow I am very prone to being lazy, so I do need one for accountability. 
ETA: I did buy a Stryd foot pod bc I got hooked into thinking I really needed to know that metric. So far, it hasn’t been very helpful, but I hope that as I really start training for races ( whenever they happen again) that I can use that figure to help execute my races better. 
ETA x2: just realized I didn’t really answer the questioned posed! So, my new answer is, sign up if you want something to keep you accountable and help you reach your goals 

Edited by amd723 2020-12-22 9:34 AM
2020-12-22 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I don’t pay for Strava bc it would just be one more platform for me to ignore I don’t follow tss or whatever other performance metrics there are, I just try to follow whatever plan I have and hit the pace and distance  ( or time) numbers given. If I’m fatigued I rest either by not doing a workout or by easing the intensity . I am always interested in what my pace is or power numbers but beyond that, I let the plan do the heavy lifting on all other  metrics! But, like Janyne said, if you don’t have something with those type of features, Strava would be useful. I know that without a structured plan to follow I am very prone to being lazy, so I do need one for accountability. 
ETA: I did buy a Stryd foot pod bc I got hooked into thinking I really needed to know that metric. So far, it hasn’t been very helpful, but I hope that as I really start training for races ( whenever they happen again) that I can use that figure to help execute my races better. 
ETA x2: just realized I didn’t really answer the questioned posed! So, my new answer is, sign up if you want something to keep you accountable and help you reach your goals 

X3. No Strava subscription for me. I'm not doing anything remotely related to "training" at this point, so I don't need it. I agree with the others, if you would use the metrics, go for it. But at some point I believe that if you pay for another training tool like Golden Cheetah, MapMyWhatever, TP, or whatever, it would be fiscally prudent to maximize use of that tool before paying for another.

Thank you for attending my Ted Talk - Training on the Cheap

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127