BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2019-12-31 9:01 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s!

Originally posted by JBacarella I do have a 2030 race plan that does include aging out the good athletes and qualifying for Kona. Realistically, I expect that when I'm in the 70-74 group in 2040.

It's good to know that we'll have a good KQ contingent in 2030! 

2019-12-31 9:02 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Janyne, what kind of bike are you looking to get? tri? road? cross? I'm thinking about a new bike too, but thinking is about as far as i've gotten!

I'm looking at replacing my road bike. I looked at a few Specialized models and a Trek to get an idea of pricing (spendy!)  I decided to hold off until the spring mostly because I am inside for this training block.  Maybe March?  I will probably go for electronic shifting and I will definitely get something that can handle today's wider tires.

I'm kind of interested in trying gravel but NC has had a campaign to pave all the roads so there is not a lot of that in my immediate area so it won't be a gravel-specific bike but perhaps something that can handle a gravel wheelset down the road.

Speaking of new bikes and gravel bikes, I saw a really purty one over the weekend in a bike shop.  Bike lust is strong and real!

Yeah, I knew better than do to a test ride when I looked this fall!

2019-12-31 9:10 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania

Throwing a fun idea out there for those of you that still have the opportunity to get another workout in for 2019:  my coaching group/tri club/whatever we are had an idea:  do a final workout of 2019, either 20:19 (minutes) or 20.19 miles (bike or run if you are so inclined and abled) or if you can somehow parse it out correctly without going over or under, 2019 yard swim.  I'm aiming to do a 20:19 run when I get home from work.

2019-12-31 9:11 AM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by JBacarella I do have a 2030 race plan that does include aging out the good athletes and qualifying for Kona. Realistically, I expect that when I'm in the 70-74 group in 2040.

It's good to know that we'll have a good KQ contingent in 2030! 

I think I have a solid 20 year plan going.
2019-12-31 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Happy New Year! I hope that you all have a great year meet your goals and remain/become injury free.
2019-12-31 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Janyne, what kind of bike are you looking to get? tri? road? cross? I'm thinking about a new bike too, but thinking is about as far as i've gotten!

I'm looking at replacing my road bike. I looked at a few Specialized models and a Trek to get an idea of pricing (spendy!)  I decided to hold off until the spring mostly because I am inside for this training block.  Maybe March?  I will probably go for electronic shifting and I will definitely get something that can handle today's wider tires.

I'm kind of interested in trying gravel but NC has had a campaign to pave all the roads so there is not a lot of that in my immediate area so it won't be a gravel-specific bike but perhaps something that can handle a gravel wheelset down the road.

Speaking of new bikes and gravel bikes, I saw a really purty one over the weekend in a bike shop.  Bike lust is strong and real!

I don't have any reason to get a gravel bike but this bike looks awesome! Reading comments about it on slow twitch it is super versatile as both a road bike and gravel bike. One comment I read was that a bike shop owner said if he could only stock 1 bike this would be it.  Very intriguing !

2019-12-31 9:20 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I don't have any reason to get a gravel bike but this bike looks awesome! Reading comments about it on slow twitch it is super versatile as both a road bike and gravel bike. One comment I read was that a bike shop owner said if he could only stock 1 bike this would be it.  Very intriguing !

Yes, the Cervelo is also on my list of bikes to look at :-D

2019-12-31 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Throwing a fun idea out there for those of you that still have the opportunity to get another workout in for 2019:  my coaching group/tri club/whatever we are had an idea:  do a final workout of 2019, either 20:19 (minutes) or 20.19 miles (bike or run if you are so inclined and abled) or if you can somehow parse it out correctly without going over or under, 2019 yard swim.  I'm aiming to do a 20:19 run when I get home from work.

Heading to the gym soon, maybe i can lift weights for 20:19. Doing so will require more attention to detail than i usually have, so we shall see! Good luck with your run and sorry you are at work

2019-12-31 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella Happy New Year! I hope that you all have a great year meet your goals and remain/become injury free.

Thank you and back at ya!

2019-12-31 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I can walk for 20:19. That's all I'm allowed to do right now as I can't sweat or get the incision otherwise wet until it heals. I took the bandages off and had a look at things this morning. I guess the good thing is nothing looks infected or oozing. But lots of bruising and very yucky-looking staples. Kind of like Frankenstein. Definitely do not want to get that wet or make swelling worse! Only about 50% of my pre-op ROM. Hope that will resolve as swelling comes down. It doesn't look swollen on the outside but must be internally. YUCK!
2019-12-31 10:32 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Happy New Year Manatees!

NAME: Laura

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: @laurayouldon on Instagram, Laura Cruz Youldon on FB

STORY: I'm 39, I did my first tri in 2004, and have been pretty actively racing since 2016. Open water makes me happy, I'm not terrified of my bike anymore, and trail running heals my soul. I love chocolate and lentils, although not together. My day job is managing a tech company service desk.

FAMILY STATUS: married

CURRENT TRAINING: house hunting. It's the most exhausting endurance race I've ever taken on. I'm on Team Z and do a lot of training with fellow Z-er and Manatee Jen....but not lately.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: MiamiMan Aquathlon and International Aquabike for sure. Probably Rev3 Williamsburg. I'm not signing up for anything really until the house/moving stuff starts to take shape

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I plan to have greater consistency this year. Too often I spend a lot of energy making plans and trying to improve, when really I should just be focusing on showing up and doing the work

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I try to keep up with inspiring people, I'm up for meetups, and I like to listen.

2019-12-31 11:13 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back, Laura!

2019-12-31 2:27 PM

User image

NAME: Sheri Larsen

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook (sheri.larsen), Fitbit

STORY: I'm a 51 year old business executive, wife and mom to two teens. I completed two sprint triathlons several years ago but have been struggling to prioritize my own fitness goals.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 25 years, 2 kids (boy,16 and girl,14)

CURRENT TRAINING: Getting started *again*.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I signed up for a Sprint on September 12th, 2020 earlier today

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Complete the event in September, make fitness a priority.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I'd love to participate in a community that will keep me honest and where I can give and receive feedback.
2019-12-31 4:01 PM
in reply to: sllarsen

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by sllarsen NAME: Sheri Larsen OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook (sheri.larsen), Fitbit STORY: I'm a 51 year old business executive, wife and mom to two teens. I completed two sprint triathlons several years ago but have been struggling to prioritize my own fitness goals. FAMILY STATUS: Married for 25 years, 2 kids (boy,16 and girl,14) CURRENT TRAINING: Getting started *again*. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I signed up for a Sprint on September 12th, 2020 earlier today GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Complete the event in September, make fitness a priority. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I'd love to participate in a community that will keep me honest and where I can give and receive feedback.

Hi Sheri, and welcome!

2019-12-31 5:52 PM
in reply to: sllarsen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome, Sheri!

If you are looking for a community, you've found one! I'm looking forward to getting to know you!

2019-12-31 11:25 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy New Year!

2020-01-01 5:47 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by sllarsen NAME: Sheri Larsen OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook (sheri.larsen), Fitbit STORY: I'm a 51 year old business executive, wife and mom to two teens. I completed two sprint triathlons several years ago but have been struggling to prioritize my own fitness goals. FAMILY STATUS: Married for 25 years, 2 kids (boy,16 and girl,14) CURRENT TRAINING: Getting started *again*. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I signed up for a Sprint on September 12th, 2020 earlier today GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Complete the event in September, make fitness a priority. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I'd love to participate in a community that will keep me honest and where I can give and receive feedback.

Hi Sheri, and welcome!

Welcome aboard Sheri!
2020-01-01 5:48 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!!
2020-01-01 8:52 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Happy New Year All!!! Back for 2020!! Kind of crazy, i know some folks have been here longer but my logs here go back to December 2008!!

Will be back to peruse and say a better hi! 

2020-01-01 10:01 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Happy New Year All!!! Back for 2020!! Kind of crazy, i know some folks have been here longer but my logs here go back to December 2008!!

Will be back to peruse and say a better hi! 

Welcome back, Jen!

2020-01-01 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

NAME: Jen Snyder

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA:  i use most things except Twitter - Facebook, Instagram, Strava are the big ones. It's usually some variation of this handle - juniperjen176 if you're looking for me. Except on Garmin connect where i am jkolstein

STORY: 39 years old (40 in 2020!) and living those busy years of life. I have a family and job and a house. Starting running first way back in 2005 which led me to meet my husband and get into tri. I learned how to swim as an adult. I have done all the distances up to IM but it's been a few years since actually doing a tri. I am feeling a bit far away from my Ironman days but i suspect it's not as steep of a slope as i feel like it is. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 10 years this year! 2 cute kids - a 6 year old daughter (that's first grade) and a 2.5 year old boy.  No furbabies at the moment and likely to stay that way for a few more years ... see this kids business

CURRENT TRAINING: Since my son was born in 2017 i've done 5 half marathons and continued to swim pretty regularly with my tri club. I've been ramping up my consistency and my swim and run are in pretty good shape (at least in my opinion). i signed up for Ironman Mont Tremblant 70.3 one week after my 40th birthday so i am looking to get back on my bike and ramp up into Don Fink's half ironman plan

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Registered for Ironman Mont Tremblant 70.3 in June. Thinking about a few tune up races prior to that (i always love a half marathon). And that's it. 

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Keep up with you super awesome tri peeps. I find having like-minded folks helpful. There are lots of awesome parents around but many do not understand this triathlon/running business, i can tell. It's one thing to do fitness but this is another thing

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I love to cheer you all on and contribute however i can. You are all amazing people!

2020-01-01 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hi Sheri, and welcome!

Welcome aboard Sheri!

Yes! Welcome! and Happy New Year! 

2020-01-01 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Yes, the Cervelo is also on my list of bikes to look at :-D

Do you have any good bike expo/sales in your area? We have one in Feb/Mar and there's where i got a steal of a deal on my Felt! 

2020-01-01 2:45 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Happy New Year friends! 

NAME: Lisa

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Same user name, Lisac957, on Instagram and Twitter. On Instagram I like to cook meals in my stories, just a warning LOL! Strava is Lisa Conklin in Sandy Springs, Georgia but please let me know if you're going to request to follow me. I'm mildly picky about who I approve and I won't unless I know you're a Manatee.

STORY: Been at triathlon since 2006 - I'm not fast, but I love training and racing. In the past 14 years I've completed 10 sprints, 5 olympics, 14 Half Ironmans, 4 Ironmans and a stupid number of running races including 19 half marathons, 6 marathons and 2 ultra marathons. 

Personal life: I live in Atlanta, GA with my senior rescue dachshund Ellie Mae. We were meant to find each other last year! I work for an amazing telecommunications company in internal communications.

FAMILY STATUS: Single. Still.  

CURRENT TRAINING: Ramping up for a February half marathon, then will roll into Ironman training.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: It's an Ironman year for me! This will be my 6th start and 5th finish, and at the same finish line as my first Ironman in Wisconsin 10 years ago, alongside my original Ironbuddy Linda (LindaKC here on BT). This may or may not be our last Ironman, but we've been saying that for years. Not sure how the year will shake out in terms of other races - I'll be riding in my 11th Tour de Cure and likely some other charity rides along the way. Probably Peachtree Road Race 10K. Nothing set in stone yet though.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Support you all! I've been around for so long and am happy to answer questions or give advice.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: So much love and support here; I'm so happy to be part of this group again.

2020-01-01 4:44 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Happy new year all!

And welcome Sheri!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127