BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-02-13 1:02 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

I hate to say this, really hate to say this, but I'm going to look into the diabetic cookbooks at home and see if I can't find some interesting salads for suppers.  LOL, you have to understand, I really hate eating salads.  To me, salads have always been nothing but solid green water; zero flavor, zero nutrition, zero interest.

This reminded me of a thread I saw on Twitter about making your salads exciting! I follow this guy anyway because he's hilarious, but I FELT this scripture on salads: https://twitter.com/theyearofelan/status/1222356311393751040  (foul language warning)

Personally, I've found that I need to limit the actual lettuce. Just use a small handful and then pile up all the veggies and a protein. So lettuce is not the star, or even a substantial base, for me.

That was amusing! Thanks for sharing.

2020-02-13 1:06 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by nrpoulin Hey guys sorry I have been MIA with all my travel. Was hoping to catch up on the thread a little but my internet at home as been reduced to dialup speeds. Going to goof off a little at work today and see if I can make some head way. Had a great time in Vegas and didn't gamble once! Nice hike at Arizona hot springs, but didn't make it to Red Rock Canyon. Excited to see the bike course up for Virginia Blue Ridge so lots of work to do the next few months. NP

The bike course looks amazing!

2020-02-13 1:25 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by nrpoulin Hey guys sorry I have been MIA with all my travel. Was hoping to catch up on the thread a little but my internet at home as been reduced to dialup speeds. Going to goof off a little at work today and see if I can make some head way. Had a great time in Vegas and didn't gamble once! Nice hike at Arizona hot springs, but didn't make it to Red Rock Canyon. Excited to see the bike course up for Virginia Blue Ridge so lots of work to do the next few months. NP

Wow, almost 4k of elevation in 56 miles! That is something else

2020-02-13 1:27 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Closed course. Blue Ridge Parkway.

2020-02-13 1:52 PM

Here is the pdf of that bike course. At the bottom is the elevation gains/losses.

https://cdn2.sportngin.com/attachments/document/889b-2104693/IM_703V...

I have never made a climb like this on a bike, but it looks pretty insane. The rest of the course doesn't look bad, or am I just ignorant and fooling myself? I've read about how St. George is up there in terms of difficulty. Looking at the St. George course, there are several up and down sections, and then the massive climb really starts around mile 37 and doesn't end until about mile 48. Virginia appears to start the massive climb around mile 23, and it only lasts 4 miles or so. So it is much earlier in the ride in VA (fresher legs), and doesn't last nearly as long. But, St. George looks to be about a 1200 ft gain over that span, whereas Virginia is about double 2000? That seems like an insanely hard climb for Virginia, but if you make that, you'll be ok. Thoughts?

I am interested in this race as a good friend of mine owns a bike shop in Roanoke and trying to convince me to come do this in 2021.
2020-02-13 2:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri

Here is the pdf of that bike course. At the bottom is the elevation gains/losses. https://cdn2.sportngin.com/attachments/document/889b-2104693/IM_703V... I have never made a climb like this on a bike, but it looks pretty insane. The rest of the course doesn't look bad, or am I just ignorant and fooling myself? I've read about how St. George is up there in terms of difficulty. Looking at the St. George course, there are several up and down sections, and then the massive climb really starts around mile 37 and doesn't end until about mile 48. Virginia appears to start the massive climb around mile 23, and it only lasts 4 miles or so. So it is much earlier in the ride in VA (fresher legs), and doesn't last nearly as long. But, St. George looks to be about a 1200 ft gain over that span, whereas Virginia is about double 2000? That seems like an insanely hard climb for Virginia, but if you make that, you'll be ok. Thoughts? I am interested in this race as a good friend of mine owns a bike shop in Roanoke and trying to convince me to come do this in 2021.

Yes, it's one five-mile climb up to the Parkway.

On the flip side, 36 to 42 is a nice downhill ;-)

Edited by jmkizer 2020-02-13 2:16 PM

2020-02-13 2:30 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I saw that- it will be a beautiful course!
2020-02-13 3:15 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

I was surfing Manatee training logs just now.  I know I shouldn't be doing comparisons in my head, but I can't help myself.  As I've mentioned before, I have a 21 yr old Marine living in the back of my head and he is totally an overly-competitive Type A personality.  Which brings me to the point of this post.

I clicked over to Laura's website/blog and read her post where she said she hates Zone 2 work, because " ...I really hate to slow down."  I can so relate to that feeling.  I'm curious whether this is a common attitude among triathletes?  Who else has this struggle?

I know it is a huge challenge for me.  I have read about training zones, and I have tried to use them in the past.  In fact, I'm going to try to do it again tomorrow.  My bike is supposed to be 50 minutes on Alpine Splash, but I think I wanted to try to hold back just a little bit this time.  At my age, weight, and very basic level of fitness it doesn't much for me to jump the ticker up to Zone 2 and beyond.  Looking back at my previous Alpine Splash rides I see my Avg HR's have been at 80% or above , with Max HR's reaching well into the 90%+ range.  So tomorrow I am going to try to hold myself back, try to keep my Avg HR somewhere in the 70% range, and hopefully keep my Max HR in the lower 80% range.

My plan is probably going to be reducing gears while still trying to rpm's in the 60's, which seems to be my natural cadence.  Opinions?

Hey Mike, Sorry I am a little behind in here.
I consistently struggle at zone 2 running. Some paces just feel awkward and change your stride. I have really be focusing on zone 2 this year for running. I don't know my zones for cycling but hope to soon. For now I have just been doing Netflix time on the bike trainer. That has to change really soon. My new watch does HR in the water which I have enjoyed. I tried to do a swim speed test yesterday but the darn pool closed before I could finish. I think CSS uses more pace zoned that HR zones.

NP
2020-02-13 3:48 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Here is the pdf of that bike course. At the bottom is the elevation gains/losses. https://cdn2.sportngin.com/attachments/document/889b-2104693/IM_703V... I have never made a climb like this on a bike, but it looks pretty insane. The rest of the course doesn't look bad, or am I just ignorant and fooling myself? I've read about how St. George is up there in terms of difficulty. Looking at the St. George course, there are several up and down sections, and then the massive climb really starts around mile 37 and doesn't end until about mile 48. Virginia appears to start the massive climb around mile 23, and it only lasts 4 miles or so. So it is much earlier in the ride in VA (fresher legs), and doesn't last nearly as long. But, St. George looks to be about a 1200 ft gain over that span, whereas Virginia is about double 2000? That seems like an insanely hard climb for Virginia, but if you make that, you'll be ok. Thoughts? I am interested in this race as a good friend of mine owns a bike shop in Roanoke and trying to convince me to come do this in 2021.

Yes, it's one five-mile climb up to the Parkway.

On the flip side, 36 to 42 is a nice downhill ;-)

EEK!

not only is it nearly 4K elevation - it's all in like 20 miles! OOF

2020-02-14 4:48 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Expert
Illinois
Happy Valentine's Day, Manatees!
2020-02-14 7:57 AM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

Originally posted by nrpoulin

I was surfing Manatee training logs just now.  I know I shouldn't be doing comparisons in my head, but I can't help myself.  As I've mentioned before, I have a 21 yr old Marine living in the back of my head and he is totally an overly-competitive Type A personality.  Which brings me to the point of this post.

I clicked over to Laura's website/blog and read her post where she said she hates Zone 2 work, because " ...I really hate to slow down."  I can so relate to that feeling.  I'm curious whether this is a common attitude among triathletes?  Who else has this struggle?

I know it is a huge challenge for me.  I have read about training zones, and I have tried to use them in the past.  In fact, I'm going to try to do it again tomorrow.  My bike is supposed to be 50 minutes on Alpine Splash, but I think I wanted to try to hold back just a little bit this time.  At my age, weight, and very basic level of fitness it doesn't much for me to jump the ticker up to Zone 2 and beyond.  Looking back at my previous Alpine Splash rides I see my Avg HR's have been at 80% or above , with Max HR's reaching well into the 90%+ range.  So tomorrow I am going to try to hold myself back, try to keep my Avg HR somewhere in the 70% range, and hopefully keep my Max HR in the lower 80% range.

My plan is probably going to be reducing gears while still trying to rpm's in the 60's, which seems to be my natural cadence.  Opinions?

Hey Mike, Sorry I am a little behind in here. I consistently struggle at zone 2 running. Some paces just feel awkward and change your stride. I have really be focusing on zone 2 this year for running. I don't know my zones for cycling but hope to soon. For now I have just been doing Netflix time on the bike trainer. That has to change really soon. My new watch does HR in the water which I have enjoyed. I tried to do a swim speed test yesterday but the darn pool closed before I could finish. I think CSS uses more pace zoned that HR zones. NP

UGH.. Zone 2.. I have such a love/hate (emphasis on the hate) relationship with zone 2.  If you look at my training logs from last summer June - August(ish) you will see my struggles.  My run zone 2 is literally slower than walking my dogs.  It is HARD to "run" a 22+ min/mi.  Same with the bike, it is hard to keep myself in zone 2, esp if there is any kind of hill involved.  My HR spikes just looking at a hill.  But if you can stick with it, it gets easier to keep yourself in zone 2 for longer and longer periods at a time.  I think it took 2-3 months to really learn my body and my pace to keep my HR down.

2020-02-14 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Hey Mike, Sorry I am a little behind in here. I consistently struggle at zone 2 running. Some paces just feel awkward and change your stride. I have really be focusing on zone 2 this year for running. I don't know my zones for cycling but hope to soon. For now I have just been doing Netflix time on the bike trainer. That has to change really soon. My new watch does HR in the water which I have enjoyed. I tried to do a swim speed test yesterday but the darn pool closed before I could finish. I think CSS uses more pace zoned that HR zones. NP

This x a million! The training program i am currently following has me doing so much zone 2 running and I HATE it for the reasons stated and bc i feel like i'm not getting anywhere! I know that my current zones are the result of doing a TT on completely fried legs so they may not be accurate which makes things even harder. Assuming the little soreness i have in a leg muscle goes away today, I plan on running a 4 mile race tomorrow and using it as another assessment -first part of the race as warm up and then finish 5k as the TT. I am way out of run shape, so I'm not expecting huge improvements, but i am desperate to inch up my zone 2 pace!

2020-02-14 8:32 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by abake Happy Valentine's Day, Manatees!

You too!

2020-02-14 10:10 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

This x a million! The training program i am currently following has me doing so much zone 2 running and I HATE it for the reasons stated and bc i feel like i'm not getting anywhere! I know that my current zones are the result of doing a TT on completely fried legs so they may not be accurate which makes things even harder. Assuming the little soreness i have in a leg muscle goes away today, I plan on running a 4 mile race tomorrow and using it as another assessment -first part of the race as warm up and then finish 5k as the TT. I am way out of run shape, so I'm not expecting huge improvements, but i am desperate to inch up my zone 2 pace!

I did do for running and have been trying Z2 since the new year because i decided to do the Fink HIM plan where the bulk is in Z2. I had recent HM to base run HR on and i was so frustrated that I retested and got a MHR only 1 beat higher (LOL!) BUT I did manage to miss the part of the book that explains to the Zones and for Fink it is NOT 60-70% (it's 75-84%) .... so reading your HR methods correctly is important! 

2020-02-14 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Bike - 45m - 10.00 mi - 13.30 Mi/hr
I opted for a little longer course this time, something called Ironhorse Rush. Built up a good sweat but it wasn't really harder than Alpine Splash. Wound up with what I think is a Zone 2 workout, although it doesn't give me how much time I spent in that zone. I think I would like to invest in a heart rate monitor for more accurate data. RPE = 4-5, AHR = 112, MHR = 138.

Swim - 28m - 1200.00 yds - 02m 20s /100 yds
12x100 w/30s rests. This part of the workout went surprisingly fast. If I hadn't been using my chrono to count splits I never would have believed I had gotten to 1200 yds already. Add in the fact that even after a relatively hard 45m on the bike I was still able to maintain a 2:20 average and I'm going to call this one a win.  I am up to 25,700 yds of swimming so far this year, 14.6 miles.  And Moby has been moved to reflect that on the wall.
  • Weight: 365
2020-02-14 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

So, who wants to recommend a good basic-to-mid-range HRM?  Remember, I'm a retiree on a fixed income (and not receiving SSI until October), so let's not talk about the high-end stuff.  (Y'all give me heart palpitations when you talk about $4k bicycles and such.)  I just want to be able to upload workouts and view the graphs from my bike & run workouts, maybe into Strava since that is where all of you folks hang out.

2020-02-14 11:26 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

I did do for running and have been trying Z2 since the new year because i decided to do the Fink HIM plan where the bulk is in Z2. I had recent HM to base run HR on and i was so frustrated that I retested and got a MHR only 1 beat higher (LOL!) BUT I did manage to miss the part of the book that explains to the Zones and for Fink it is NOT 60-70% (it's 75-84%) .... so reading your HR methods correctly is important! 

I should clarify that when i say zone 2 i'm referring to pace zone 2. I don't train by heart rate. My Garmin measures my heart rate and according to it most of my runs are zone 5 -including HMs. If that were true my heart would have exploded years ago!

2020-02-14 11:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

So, who wants to recommend a good basic-to-mid-range HRM?  Remember, I'm a retiree on a fixed income (and not receiving SSI until October), so let's not talk about the high-end stuff.  (Y'all give me heart palpitations when you talk about $4k bicycles and such.)  I just want to be able to upload workouts and view the graphs from my bike & run workouts, maybe into Strava since that is where all of you folks hang out.

This is a really good one. You can wear it on your forearm or bicep (rather than around your chest). If you go to clever training's website they have a Wahoo heart rate monitor for about $50. It is the chest strap version. 

2020-02-14 11:44 AM

I got the Wahoo Tickr. $50 at REI, although I imagine you can find one cheaper on Amazon or ebay perhaps.

I just plugged "Wahoo Tickr" into a search on Ebay and found a number of them from about $15-20 (used) up to $35 new, along with many at $50 (which I've never understood why people sell things on Ebay for list price, but that's just me).

Edited by alaskatri 2020-02-14 11:47 AM
2020-02-14 12:57 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

This is a really good one. You can wear it on your forearm or bicep (rather than around your chest). If you go to clever training's website they have a Wahoo heart rate monitor for about $50. It is the chest strap version. 

I second Ann-Marie's recommendation.  I switched to the Scosche after fighting a severe rash/allergy to my Garmin chest strap.   No more rashes and it's easy to take on and off.  In an interesting note, I purchased the Rhythm 24 by Scosche since it is able to be used during the swim but it didn't record my HR the same as the +, the 24 measured it higher than reality .  I actually don't wear it because of that, although maybe I should see if any software updates make it any better.

Editing to be more clear:  I highly recommend the Scosche+, I wear it regularly for biking and running.   The 24 has more bells and whistles but didn't seem to record as accurately.

Edited by melbo55 2020-02-14 1:04 PM
2020-02-14 2:30 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Expert

I got the Wahoo Tickr. $50 at REI, although I imagine you can find one cheaper on Amazon or ebay perhaps.

I just plugged "Wahoo Tickr" into a search on Ebay and found a number of them from about $15-20 (used) up to $35 new, along with many at $50 (which I've never understood why people sell things on Ebay for list price, but that's just me).

Wahoo is a good call for reasonable prices, plus you can also get bike sensors to and it all uploads to strava. The Wahoo Tickr is also picked up by my Garmin.

2020-02-14 2:39 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

February 15-16
Curtis - Out Law 135 mile trail run (pacing brother for 20 miles)
Chris - ONG Metric ride on Sunday
Melanie - Frozen Foot #2 on Sunday
Jim, Ann-Marie. Janyne - Tour of Sufferlandria (all week)

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

2020-02-14 3:51 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

February 15-16

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck, racers!  Have fun, be fast, be safe!

2020-02-14 3:51 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

February 15-16

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck, racers!  Have fun, be fast, be safe!

2020-02-14 7:06 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

February 15-16

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Go racers! Enjoy
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127