BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-02-24 10:42 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by glfprncsOh, and so many people were complaining about the cold. All it took for me to zip it was a memory of a 15 mile training run in GA in August when it was 101 + humidity.I'll take that 26 degree running day, thank you.
Wow.. that is a toss up for me on which i would dislike more. Way to go on the improvement and the Manatee Representation, too.

2020-02-24 10:52 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by glfprncs The coldest day of the year? Of course it's 10k morning. I know 25 degrees is warm for many of you, but I live in SC and don't own the layers I had while living in Ohio & Utah. Seriously, though, once I'm 5 min in, I really enjoy cold weather runs. My goal was under 59 min. Well, in typical Augusta, GA fashion, the course didn't measure 10k. In fact, we were 1/2 mile short. The last 10k I did was almost 1/2 mile long. I met the goal (actually pleased with my 9:17 pace considering 2 years ago I was struggling to get near a 10 min/mile.) & would've easily hit the real goal had it been an actual 10k vs 9.2k. I think what I'm most proud of is my ability to be able to "suffer" a bit when the effort started to get hard without backing off the pace. Now that I've written it, what an odd proud moment that seems to the non-runner/non-triathlete. LOL.

Great job with your pacing and fortitude, boo on the miss-marked course.  Give me 25 degrees over 85 degrees any day!

2020-02-24 10:54 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by amd723

The first ride with the new gravel bike is in the books! What a fun bike!! While its rider isn't fast, the bike is and is super comfortable - at least for the 15-mile maiden ride. I forgot to put the water bottle in the cage, so I can't say whether or not a gritty drink will be an issue  The trail was around a lake with typical Florida scenery of lots of gators, birds of all variety, and vegetation you don't get elsewhere. The part i rode was dead flat, but there is a section that has hills, so that's on tap for my next outing. I think this is going to be a lot of fun!

Good stuff!  I was visualizing the scenery as you were describing it , fond memories of when I would visit my snowbird parents in Lakeland and we'd walk around the lakes or go to nature preserves.  You and your bike will have many fun adventures to be sure!

2020-02-24 10:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Walk/Run - 3 x W9m:J1m - 30m - 1.79 miles - 16m 46s /Mi
Okay, new build cycle starts today. And to "celebrate" I am adding jogging intervals in my own version of C25k. I am walking 9 minutes then jogging 1 minute and repeat to predetermined time. Today, that was only 30 minutes. In fact, I think I'm going to keep it at 30 minutes for Thu and Sat as well. Then go up to 40 minutes for next week. So my log will now show 3 x W9m:J1m = 30m. I have no complaints about how it went, but I have to admit that I was struggling for the 3rd jog interval. I'm going to cap my W/J workouts at 40 minutes for a while, since I will be adding 1m of jogging each week. In theory, I should be able to jog non-stop for 40 minutes by the end of 12 weeks. We shall see.

Swim -  35m 45s - 1500.00 yards - 02m 23s /100 yards
15 x 100 w/ 30s rests
I can't complain. Yes, it's a little slower than normal (3s/100) but when you consider that this came after I had just completed my first real running workout in 8 years ,,,,,,
  • Weight: 363, on a Monday, with my sneakers on, as compared to last Thursday w/o sneakers.  I'm pretty happy with that considering how little work I actually put in last week.
2020-02-24 11:23 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Walk/Run - 3 x W9m:J1m - 30m - 1.79 miles - 16m 46s /Mi
Okay, new build cycle starts today. And to "celebrate" I am adding jogging intervals in my own version of C25k. I am walking 9 minutes then jogging 1 minute and repeat to predetermined time. Today, that was only 30 minutes. In fact, I think I'm going to keep it at 30 minutes for Thu and Sat as well. Then go up to 40 minutes for next week. So my log will now show 3 x W9m:J1m = 30m. I have no complaints about how it went, but I have to admit that I was struggling for the 3rd jog interval. I'm going to cap my W/J workouts at 40 minutes for a while, since I will be adding 1m of jogging each week. In theory, I should be able to jog non-stop for 40 minutes by the end of 12 weeks. We shall see.

Swim -  35m 45s - 1500.00 yards - 02m 23s /100 yards
15 x 100 w/ 30s rests
I can't complain. Yes, it's a little slower than normal (3s/100) but when you consider that this came after I had just completed my first real running workout in 8 years ,,,,,,
  • Weight: 363, on a Monday, with my sneakers on, as compared to last Thursday w/o sneakers.  I'm pretty happy with that considering how little work I actually put in last week.

Nice work! I like how detailed you are in your descriptions and notes
2020-02-24 11:24 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by melbo55

The first ride with the new gravel bike is in the books! What a fun bike!! While its rider isn't fast, the bike is and is super comfortable - at least for the 15-mile maiden ride. I forgot to put the water bottle in the cage, so I can't say whether or not a gritty drink will be an issue  The trail was around a lake with typical Florida scenery of lots of gators, birds of all variety, and vegetation you don't get elsewhere. The part i rode was dead flat, but there is a section that has hills, so that's on tap for my next outing. I think this is going to be a lot of fun!

Good stuff!  I was visualizing the scenery as you were describing it , fond memories of when I would visit my snowbird parents in Lakeland and we'd walk around the lakes or go to nature preserves.  You and your bike will have many fun adventures to be sure!

Ahhh... I was visualising too...! Sounds like fun!

2020-02-24 11:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Nancy, sounds like a great 10k, make that 9.2k.  I'm with Jim on this one, that is just poor race management.  Your train incident made me laugh.  I remember on bicycle race I was motor-refing in the now defunct Tour de 'Toona.  It was a circuit race and my first time officiating something that was national level, if not international.  I had to stop a chase group for a train, which meant they completely lost the leaders.  And the peloton caught them at the crossing.  What a nightmare, trying to keep peloton riders from taking off with the chase group.  I was NOT popular that day.

2020-02-24 11:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Ann-Marie, I don't know whether the bike envy or the scenery envy is stronger.

Melanie, I feel ya.  I know that if my parents were still alive I would definitely be looking for a mid-winter event around Tampa, just for the break in the weather.

2020-02-24 12:01 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by marysia83  Nice work! I like how detailed you are in your descriptions and notes

Thank you.  Those detailed notes serve three purposes;

1. They let me look back to track progress and provide motivation.
  2. I have to report to my DW every morning.  I keep hoping it will motivate her to start some kind of consistent plan of her own, obviously not as intense as tri-training.  But anything is better than nothing, she's desk-bound at work.
  3. And, my brother Jack (LeatherneckTN on BT) is also tracking my workouts.  I'm kind of hoping that now that I am starting my modified C25k he will ease up on his "run more" nagging.

LOL, actually, he's just repeating what he's heard me say, that one should spend more time focusing on their weakest discipline and less time on their favorite.  He KNOWS swimming is my fav and running is the one I hate.  So he's been on me to step up my game.  I had a plan in mind, but he kept urging me to step it up.  In the end, he won.  I actually started my C25k plan a week early, but not because of him.  I started it early because I decided to add that 5k on May 9th and would really like to be able to at least attempt to jog the whole thing.

2020-02-24 2:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

John

The course actually wasn't mismarked. There was a 1/4 out and back in mile 2; however, there was miscommunication between the RD and the individuals manning the beginning of the out & back (there was also a turn after the out & back). Many runners questioned them about the out & back and they said, "No. You just turn here."

The worst part is that as a fast 10k, many were planning to use it as a Peachtree Road Race qualifier, but because it was only 9.2k, they can no longer use it.

There was also a train that stopped a bunch of 1:45-1:50 half marathon runners & took 8 minutes to navigate through the crossing. The RD pulls permits and the train engineers are aware. They're supposed to hold outside of town until a set time, but this one must've missed the memo.

That's crappy. Sorry But good job!

Sorry for the MIA lately. I'm really busy at work for the next 7 weeks or so. I pop in but don't always get to respond. Oh and if anyone checks my Strava, I did NOT OWS yesterday - we went XC skiing on a frozen lake in VT. I'm looking at you Nancy! :p

Carry on (and I don't think I'm not noticing all this gravel talk )

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2020-02-24 2:11 PM
2020-02-24 2:32 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Originally posted by marysia83  Nice work! I like how detailed you are in your descriptions and notes

Thank you.  Those detailed notes serve three purposes;

1. They let me look back to track progress and provide motivation.
  2. I have to report to my DW every morning.  I keep hoping it will motivate her to start some kind of consistent plan of her own, obviously not as intense as tri-training.  But anything is better than nothing, she's desk-bound at work.
  3. And, my brother Jack (LeatherneckTN on BT) is also tracking my workouts.  I'm kind of hoping that now that I am starting my modified C25k he will ease up on his "run more" nagging.

LOL, actually, he's just repeating what he's heard me say, that one should spend more time focusing on their weakest discipline and less time on their favorite.  He KNOWS swimming is my fav and running is the one I hate.  So he's been on me to step up my game.  I had a plan in mind, but he kept urging me to step it up.  In the end, he won.  I actually started my C25k plan a week early, but not because of him.  I started it early because I decided to add that 5k on May 9th and would really like to be able to at least attempt to jog the whole thing.

That makes so much sense.

That's awesome your brother is involved. It is a huge motivation, and it's also really great to have someone to talk to about the sport for most of my "training life" I had nobody in my family/circle of friends who would be interested in sports, and I had to have all motivational dialogues done with myself.

Good luck with your plans and goals!

2020-02-24 2:33 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by glfprncs The coldest day of the year? Of course it's 10k morning. I know 25 degrees is warm for many of you, but I live in SC and don't own the layers I had while living in Ohio & Utah. Seriously, though, once I'm 5 min in, I really enjoy cold weather runs. My goal was under 59 min. Well, in typical Augusta, GA fashion, the course didn't measure 10k. In fact, we were 1/2 mile short. The last 10k I did was almost 1/2 mile long. I met the goal (actually pleased with my 9:17 pace considering 2 years ago I was struggling to get near a 10 min/mile.) & would've easily hit the real goal had it been an actual 10k vs 9.2k. I think what I'm most proud of is my ability to be able to "suffer" a bit when the effort started to get hard without backing off the pace. Now that I've written it, what an odd proud moment that seems to the non-runner/non-triathlete. LOL.

Nice work!  Sorry about the course SNAFU...  and yes, we do seem to be proud of odd things. ("I can pee on the bike!")  

2020-02-24 2:34 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy Manatee Monday!

It sounds like everyone had an active weekend! So much goodness!

Let's finish out this JoGo Challenges STRONG!  It's the final week - dooo eeettt!!!

2020-02-24 2:42 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

I finally feel some fitness coming back.  I ran Sat morning, didn't feel great, but not terrible either.  HR didn't skyrocket so that was good.  Swam Sat evening and felt good.  Bike run brick yesterday (2:20 and :35).  Bike targets were tough, but do-able, and I kept a 5:35/km or better pace on the run for the first time in months.  Certainly not 'in shape' yet, but felt strong for the first time in awhile .  Yay iron supplements!

2020-02-24 2:45 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I have some friends that recently drove up and did a ride around the lake. I think you did part of it, it is available on Ride w/GPS as "around the lake with clay and gravel". Evidently, we are returning with a larger group, since it was so enjoyable. You have hit the nail on the head with one of the challenges I find with gravel. I find it so enjoyable that I keep slowing down and looking around at everything.

2020-02-24 3:12 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

I have some friends that recently drove up and did a ride around the lake. I think you did part of it, it is available on Ride w/GPS as "around the lake with clay and gravel". Evidently, we are returning with a larger group, since it was so enjoyable. You have hit the nail on the head with one of the challenges I find with gravel. I find it so enjoyable that I keep slowing down and looking around at everything.

That is some ride! Looks like you start in downtown Winter Garden and ride along the west orange trail (asphalt) then onto the roads for some elevation before getting onto the unpaved miles that run next to the lake then back onto the road and west orange trail. So, you get a little bit of everything. When my mileage is up i may consider this -though those hills on a gravel tired bike will prove rather interesting! Can't wait to hear how you like it.

2020-02-24 4:33 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Happy Manatee Monday!

It sounds like everyone had an active weekend! So much goodness!

Let's finish out this JoGo Challenges STRONG!  It's the final week - dooo eeettt!!!

with everything that went on this month with my elimination diet and trying to get back to some training, I dropped JoGo like a hot potato.

2020-02-24 7:55 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Expert
My weekend went sideways, so I have to finish the tour over the next three nights. Too many things fell into the wrong place.
2020-02-24 8:42 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Updated my GoJo info. Do we start another one? I have a couple weeks coming up where I will be out of town and training will be hard again but hope to make some solid gains in the meantime.

My first race was rescheduled and apparently I missed the email. Hopefully can find another race or two to tune up for my half as I haven't done a tri in almost 2 years.
2020-02-24 10:14 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I've actually trained most days this month but haven't been logging it on JoGo. Just too busy!
2020-02-25 9:38 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

I am currently three pounds behind my goal on the weight loss, BUT there is a really positive note from it as well.  My Nutrition goal was to keep my blood sugar readings within 10% of the recommended ADA guidelines, which I  have managed to do that for all but the first week (before I actually started the JoGo and created that goal).

Even better, For the last 10 days I have actually been below the ADA's recommended fasting score in the mornings!

2020-02-25 9:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by nrpoulin Updated my GoJo info. Do we start another one?

I think it would be pretty cool to  just INSERT six to eight more weeks at the end of this one and just keep it running wild.

2020-02-25 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by nrpoulin Updated my GoJo info. Do we start another one? I have a couple weeks coming up where I will be out of town and training will be hard again but hope to make some solid gains in the meantime. My first race was rescheduled and apparently I missed the email. Hopefully can find another race or two to tune up for my half as I haven't done a tri in almost 2 years.

Azalea or White Lake? 

2020-02-25 9:45 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner I've actually trained most days this month but haven't been logging it on JoGo. Just too busy!

Hey, as long as the training is getting done, right?  Hopefully you are feeling good about that!

2020-02-25 1:09 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by IronOx

Nice work!  Sorry about the course SNAFU...  and yes, we do seem to be proud of odd things. ("I can pee on the bike!")  

I definitely "embrace the suck," but peeing on the bike is one I STILL haven't managed.  Oddly, was thinking about it last night while day-dreaming about actually racing again.  Yep, we're an odd bunch!  Good on ya' both (but I definitely won't be drafting during a group ride with you)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127