BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-02-27 10:29 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5  One of the downsides to typing quickly is that I do go on... so forewarned about my posts!    Matt 

Welcome back Matt!  I only returned to the fold back in December, after an 8  yr hiatus.  Nice to see another verbose typist in the bunch.  The only thing that saves me from having posts that are way too long is that I delete all of the quotes except the specific part I am reply in to.  My own posts, eh, not so much. 

2020-02-27 10:36 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Walk/Jog - 45m 50s - 2.86 miles - 16m 02s /Mi
4 x W9:J1 plus 5m cool down - I am quite pleased with this workout,,,,, now that it is done. The hardest part of today's workout was actually starting it. Getting out of the truck I could think of a dozen different reasons why I didn't want to or didn't have time to. But once I started walking I never bothered to look back. When I sync'd with my phone I became even happier. First, because if I had been outside, doing a real 5k, my pace would have been a PR. (I know, 16m/mi is nothing to brag about, but it was the best I had done in MANY years.Not that the pace was fast or anything, BUT the sections where I was jogging were faster than 12m/mi, one of them even peaked at 10m/mi. With 5 months to go until the Lumberjack I believe I can expect to manage 10m miles, maybe even a sub-30. That would be SO cool!
  • Weight: 363, but when I took my sneakers off and weighed in again, it was 361.  Perhaps I should not wear my sneakers?  I take them off when I weigh in at the dr's office. My NB's are 1.2 lbs each.
2020-02-27 10:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by jmkizer  We have two shoulder surguries and and elbow recovery that I can think of off the top of my head.  

It was my left bicep that caused my initial absence in 2013, then a knee in 2014, a rotator cuff in 2015, a stent in 2017 and shoulder rehab in 2018.  And those are just the ones since my first tri in 2012.  Needless to say, I am trying to be more cautious this time since it is the first time in a VERY long time that I have actually enjoyed working out.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2020-02-27 10:41 AM
2020-02-27 11:06 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by amd723  Alex Hutchinson has been basically saying a lot of this for years . And Staci Sims has a strong take on sport drinks as well. 

My take on the Hutchinson article boils down to, each athlete has to learn what their own body is telling them and treat it accordingly.  I found a lot more benefit to the Sims article.  In fact, it seems that my 50:50 Gatorade and water mix might be just about right according to her.  And I usually use a Boost Glucose Control shake for recovery on my "long" days.  It seems to me that for a sprint, like the Lumberjack, I already have a decent plan that works for my body.

Now, if I can just find my Feed Zone Portables book so I can research and plan for my Chattanooga Olympic in 2021......

2020-02-27 11:46 AM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Happy Thursday my fellow Manatees!

I'm sorry that I haven't been as active here as I would have liked. As those of you who've read my BT training log know, I've been sidelined with a sinus infection that's lasted almost two weeks now. I am now about half way through an antibiotic treatment and I am starting to feel better. My plan is to get back to the workouts starting Monday. 

So I thought I would take a moment and open a discussion topic:

With regards to illness and training, what are your policies when it comes to training through it, taking a break to recover, and when to return? I think all of us new to multisports could benefit from what works for you.

--Tom

2020-02-27 12:47 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by abake

This article is kind of interesting and seems to track with my personal experience. That being said, I use Nuun on shorter rides and Skatch on longer trainer rides.

Sorry, hard core athletes, those electrolytes don't help as much as you may think

"participants with EAH (exercise-associated hyponatremia) had, on average, shorter training programs, weighed more and took five to six hours longer to complete the race, the authors said"

In my experience, if I am less well trained for the distance or less well acclimated, I am more likely to have hydration issues. Also, on rides like Bike MS or Tour de Cure, if it's not and I can spend less time at rest stops, and therefore less time in the heat, I tend to feel better.

As with all things, your mileage may vary.

That is an interesting article. I just skimmed it, so if it mentioned what the runners were using as far as brand, I did not find it. They referenced "salt tabs". Most of the sports drinks now have much more than just sodium -- calcium, magnesium, etc. all come into play. I also use Skratch on longer rides and can say without hesitation that I can stave off leg cramps on hot days if I am mindful about drinking it. But yes, YMMV

The article just said: Some runners took salt tablets every hour, while others diluted electrolytes in a water bottle

reading the article, i didn't find that the title was accurate. The bottom line was that people were drinking more liquid trying to replace electrolytes, thus getting hyponatremia. So it isnt that the electrolytes were the problem, it is a dosing issue.

You may be correct, perhaps the electrolytes are too diluted.

Alex Hutchinson has been basically saying a lot of this for years . And Staci Sims has a strong take on sport drinks as well.

There have only been 2 instances where cramping has been an issue with me: swimming right after long runs at the beginning of a training plan and during the run at IMChoo. Both were due to muscle fatigue.

Most research I've read previously pointed to muscle fatigue being the major driver of muscle cramps (has been a bit of a stumper for physiologists for a long time).  Has been absolutely true for me.  If I'm well rested, I can be dehydrated and not cramp.  If I'm pushing the TSS, I can cramp (rarely, but gets your attention when you do) even if I'm well hydrated.  It's usually in the pool after running (either toe/foot or, much worse, sartorius - the inside of your thigh muscle... thought I was gonna drown in 3' of water when that one happened during a big block).  

I've also gone from Nuun on short and Skratch on long rides (sound familiar?) to just propel in water on Zwift rides, mostly for flavor, and the bubblers (OK, "water fountains") around Town Lake here on longer runs.  Might go back to Skratch for the sugar if I start doing big blocks again.  The e-lytes are a bonus, but not a driver *for me.*

YMMV, of course...
M

2020-02-27 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Originally posted by jmkizer  We have two shoulder surguries and and elbow recovery that I can think of off the top of my head.  

It was my left bicep that caused my initial absence in 2013, then a knee in 2014, a rotator cuff in 2015, a stent in 2017 and shoulder rehab in 2018.  And those are just the ones since my first tri in 2012.  Needless to say, I am trying to be more cautious this time since it is the first time in a VERY long time that I have actually enjoyed working out.

Dayumm! That is quite a list.

But how great that you're digging working out again!  Love to hear that.

Caution isn't a strong suit of mine, unfortunately, but I'm trying to do the same (don't want to rip my bicep out from where they stapled it in, after all).  

Keep after it (cautiously, but not, but cautiously...

2020-02-27 12:59 PM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

Happy Thursday my fellow Manatees!

I'm sorry that I haven't been as active here as I would have liked. As those of you who've read my BT training log know, I've been sidelined with a sinus infection that's lasted almost two weeks now. I am now about half way through an antibiotic treatment and I am starting to feel better. My plan is to get back to the workouts starting Monday. 

So I thought I would take a moment and open a discussion topic:

With regards to illness and training, what are your policies when it comes to training through it, taking a break to recover, and when to return? I think all of us new to multisports could benefit from what works for you.

--Tom

Different for everyone, of course.  So, MY approach - if it's above the neck I try to HTFU and get the workout in.  Below the neck (chest cold) and I back waaaaaaay off until I recover pretty close to fully.  Pneumonia can take you out for several months - even after the infection proper clears.  Not something to mess with, IMO.  

Two exceptions for me.  1 - Sinus infections that aren't caught early and treated with the appropriate antibiotic (surprisingly easy for that combination to happen).  Those require most people to spend their physiological reserves on healing, not pushing fitness, or they linger miserably.  2 - Days when I am recovering from or in the midst of a minor bug and trying to HTFU but just can't hit my targets even with teeth firmly gritted.  Those days I still try to complete the rough time of the workout, but bag the intensity for either a soft pedal or light jog (and I will trade a hard swim for one of those two, as I haven't mastered the (I think fictional) easy swim).  So, a bit of "it depends." 

Oh, and I don't try to make the missed intensity up with other workouts in the week.  That can lead to injury (DAMHIK)...

And now for the obligatory YMMV.  "YMMV"

Matt

2020-02-27 1:01 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by abake

This article is kind of interesting and seems to track with my personal experience. That being said, I use Nuun on shorter rides and Skatch on longer trainer rides.

Sorry, hard core athletes, those electrolytes don't help as much as you may think

"participants with EAH (exercise-associated hyponatremia) had, on average, shorter training programs, weighed more and took five to six hours longer to complete the race, the authors said"

In my experience, if I am less well trained for the distance or less well acclimated, I am more likely to have hydration issues. Also, on rides like Bike MS or Tour de Cure, if it's not and I can spend less time at rest stops, and therefore less time in the heat, I tend to feel better.

As with all things, your mileage may vary.

That is an interesting article. I just skimmed it, so if it mentioned what the runners were using as far as brand, I did not find it. They referenced "salt tabs". Most of the sports drinks now have much more than just sodium -- calcium, magnesium, etc. all come into play. I also use Skratch on longer rides and can say without hesitation that I can stave off leg cramps on hot days if I am mindful about drinking it. But yes, YMMV

The article just said: Some runners took salt tablets every hour, while others diluted electrolytes in a water bottle

reading the article, i didn't find that the title was accurate. The bottom line was that people were drinking more liquid trying to replace electrolytes, thus getting hyponatremia. So it isnt that the electrolytes were the problem, it is a dosing issue.

You may be correct, perhaps the electrolytes are too diluted.

Alex Hutchinson has been basically saying a lot of this for years . And Staci Sims has a strong take on sport drinks as well.

There have only been 2 instances where cramping has been an issue with me: swimming right after long runs at the beginning of a training plan and during the run at IMChoo. Both were due to muscle fatigue.

Most research I've read previously pointed to muscle fatigue being the major driver of muscle cramps (has been a bit of a stumper for physiologists for a long time).  Has been absolutely true for me.  If I'm well rested, I can be dehydrated and not cramp.  If I'm pushing the TSS, I can cramp (rarely, but gets your attention when you do) even if I'm well hydrated.  It's usually in the pool after running (either toe/foot or, much worse, sartorius - the inside of your thigh muscle... thought I was gonna drown in 3' of water when that one happened during a big block).  

I've also gone from Nuun on short and Skratch on long rides (sound familiar?) to just propel in water on Zwift rides, mostly for flavor, and the bubblers (OK, "water fountains") around Town Lake here on longer runs.  Might go back to Skratch for the sugar if I start doing big blocks again.  The e-lytes are a bonus, but not a driver *for me.*

YMMV, of course...
M

Yeah, I think that I use Nuun for flavor as much as anything else. ;-)

Re: bubblers. Did you live in Milwaukee?

2020-02-27 2:52 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Yeah, I think that I use Nuun for flavor as much as anything else. ;-)

Re: bubblers. Did you live in Milwaukee?

I'm a "Masshole" through and through.    Pretty universally called a "bubblah" anywhere they drop an R in New England (so, maybe less so in CT...).

I only recently learned that they are also called that in the upper midwest.  Weird...  

2020-02-27 3:03 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

For the longest time this

water fountain

was a water fountain to me. I was so confused when we left Milwaukee!  I don''t see any water fountain down the hall! I see a bubbler though!

2020-02-27 5:25 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Here’s part 2 of the Hunter Allen video re gravel v road bike training. 

2020-02-27 5:48 PM

That pic definitely looks like a fountain to me Janyne.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that hasn't been around much last couple weeks. Lots of traveling for work. Got back last night and hoping to hit trainer again soon.

Question for folks on the Sufferfest - does anyone do it on an Ipad? I have a newer Ipad that allows for multitasking and split screens, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to Sufferfest and Amazon Prime Video to split screens on there. I'd love to just put Sufferfest on my phone, but it's an Android and they don't have an app yet. If it doesn't work, I may switch over to TR next month and see if I can do it on there. Catching up on shows is a good distraction.
2020-02-27 6:06 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri Question for folks on the Sufferfest - does anyone do it on an Ipad? I have a newer Ipad that allows for multitasking and split screens, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to Sufferfest and Amazon Prime Video to split screens on there. I'd love to just put Sufferfest on my phone, but it's an Android and they don't have an app yet. If it doesn't work, I may switch over to TR next month and see if I can do it on there. Catching up on shows is a good distraction.

Yes, I use The Sufferfest on the iPad.  I have not try to split screen it though.  I just had The Sufferfest on the iPad using a tripod music stand to hold it up and I could put on the TV if I wanted to. 

2020-02-27 6:32 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri Question for folks on the Sufferfest - does anyone do it on an Ipad? I have a newer Ipad that allows for multitasking and split screens, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to Sufferfest and Amazon Prime Video to split screens on there. I'd love to just put Sufferfest on my phone, but it's an Android and they don't have an app yet. If it doesn't work, I may switch over to TR next month and see if I can do it on there. Catching up on shows is a good distraction.

Yes, I use The Sufferfest on the iPad.  I have not try to split screen it though.  I just had The Sufferfest on the iPad using a tripod music stand to hold it up and I could put on the TV if I wanted to. 

yep use the ipad held in a music stand and then have my tv on. I wonder if those apps are split-screen compatible?

2020-02-27 8:58 PM

User image

Expert

I do it mostly on an all in one laptop, I have done it on the TV and have the means to do it on the phone. You're good on an Ipad.

2020-02-27 10:56 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

Originally posted by JBacarella

I do it mostly on an all in one laptop, I have done it on the TV and have the means to do it on the phone. You're good on an Ipad.

I don't think either app is split screen compatible. Suffererfest can run in the background though so it'll at least keep track of stats I'll probably run my wife's laptop for the video watching though.

So then the question is what to watch. I loved Breaking Bad, so I'm thinking Better Call Saul. Also thinking The Wire.
2020-02-28 7:59 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Proof of Life Post! (thank you for the reminder, Janyne!)
It has been a busy winter with house hunting, but the end is in sight. We close on Monday!!! Obviously things will still remain crazy as we adjust to being homeowners, but I'm looking forward to having a shorter commute and starting up my usual routines again.
Hope everyone has an amazing weekend
2020-02-28 9:41 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Atlantia Proof of Life Post! (thank you for the reminder, Janyne!) It has been a busy winter with house hunting, but the end is in sight. We close on Monday!!! Obviously things will still remain crazy as we adjust to being homeowners, but I'm looking forward to having a shorter commute and starting up my usual routines again. Hope everyone has an amazing weekend

Lots of good stuff here!  A new home, closer to work, and getting back to the usual routine.  Congratulations!!!

2020-02-28 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

February 29-March 1
Ann- Rocheport Roubaix ride

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

2020-02-28 2:48 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

February 29-March 1

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Ride, Ann, Ride!

2020-02-28 3:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Bike #1 - 34m 57s - 7.87 miles - 13.50 Mi/hr
OH MAMA! That was the name of the hill course I decided to try today. In fact, I deliberately searched for the course with the greatest number of ups and downs. All I can say is that this course was appropriately named. First of all, it took me 5.5 miles just to catch and pass the pace bike. At one point I was 33 seconds behind him. After I got past him, the best I could do was to get 11 seconds ahead of him.  Usually, I lead the pace bike, sometimes even lap him.   How brutal was it? Well, after the first lap I usually just hit CONTINUE and ride the same course until my time is up. NOT TODAY! When I finished that first lap I abandoned the course and did my last 10 minutes on the totally flat Speedway course.  AHR = 123, MHR = 139

Bike #2 - 10m 03s - 2.50 miles - 14.90 Mi/hr
This was supposed to be a "cool down" after riding Oh Mama, but I just decided to keep my cadence at 70 or better. It felt really easy after the previous ride!  AHR = 118, MHR = 129

Swim - 27m 36s - 1200.00 yards - 02m 18s /100 yards
12 x 100 w/30s rests     I desperately wanted to cool off after riding OH MAMA! And I knew it was a short 1200 yd swim, but I wanted to make it a little harder somehow. So I decided to swim "in drag". No, I did not borrow a suit from one of the old ladies. I swam it wearing my t-shirt and shorts. And I still managed to turn in a 2:18 average. Remember, this is after killing myself on OH MAMA.  The first three sets were all at 2:21, but once my arms and shoulders loosened up I dropped down to 2:15's and such, WEARING THE T-SHIRT.  I wonder why my arms shoulders and biceps felt so strained and weak at first? Anyway, I think I might make Drag Days a regular part of my regimen.
  • Weight: 361
2020-02-28 3:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

February's totals

Swim: 6h 11m 54s - 16000 Yd
Bike: 5h 25m - 76.1 Mi
Run: 5h 35m 50s - 19.21 Mi
Hiking: 45m

2020 totals

Swim: 12h 31m 56s - 32100 Yd
Bike: 11h 25m - 160.6 Mi
Run: 10h 27m 19s - 35.56 Mi
Hiking: 45m

Edited by leatherneckpa 2020-02-28 3:22 PM
2020-02-28 3:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

I hope nobody minds, but I added the next two months (9 weeks) to the JoGo Weight Loss and Keep Moving sheets.  I discovered that some parts of the sheets did not auto-generate though.  I am thinking about spending some time recreating the entire thing in new files, one for each two month period.  My first thought was to make the new ones for one quarter (3 months) each.  Which way would you folks rather see, 2 months or 3 months?

2020-02-28 4:03 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

February 29-March 1

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Have fun out there, Ann!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127