BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-02-28 4:05 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Today it was announced that Hershey will no longer be holding their half marathon.  The 10K went the way of the dodo first, now the HM.  No reason was given.  It makes me sad because I had this as a 'someday' race because it's local and well-run.  Plus, well, chocolate at the aid stations!  Running through HersheyPark!  Bummer.

2020-02-28 5:07 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

I hope nobody minds, but I added the next two months (9 weeks) to the JoGo Weight Loss and Keep Moving sheets.  I discovered that some parts of the sheets did not auto-generate though.  I am thinking about spending some time recreating the entire thing in new files, one for each two month period.  My first thought was to make the new ones for one quarter (3 months) each.  Which way would you folks rather see, 2 months or 3 months?

I am happy to go two months out, and thanks for doing this. It was on my mind on my ride home tonight that we wanted to do March or longer. Cool.

2020-02-28 5:48 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

I hope nobody minds, but I added the next two months (9 weeks) to the JoGo Weight Loss and Keep Moving sheets.  I discovered that some parts of the sheets did not auto-generate though.  I am thinking about spending some time recreating the entire thing in new files, one for each two month period.  My first thought was to make the new ones for one quarter (3 months) each.  Which way would you folks rather see, 2 months or 3 months?

I am happy to go two months out, and thanks for doing this. It was on my mind on my ride home tonight that we wanted to do March or longer. Cool.

Actually, I would prefer if a new challenge was started because some of us, myself included, signed up for six weeks. It's kind of not cool to move the finish like like that.  In addition, others who did not join the initial challenge may want to participate.

2020-02-28 6:45 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by cdban66

Actually, I would prefer if a new challenge was started because some of us, myself included, signed up for six weeks. It's kind of not cool to move the finish like like that.  In addition, others who did not join the initial challenge may want to participate.

Makes sense.

2020-02-28 6:54 PM

Admittedly, I totally dropped the ball on JoGo the last two weeks. I have a travel week coming up - spring break - but will be doing some skiing, so I think I can do much better the next round. I'm in if a new one gets started for sure!!!!
2020-02-28 7:14 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
I will try to get new challenge sheets up on Monday, two months, nine weeks total.

2020-02-28 7:25 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Expert
Originally posted by alaskatri

Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by alaskatri Question for folks on the Sufferfest - does anyone do it on an Ipad? I have a newer Ipad that allows for multitasking and split screens, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to Sufferfest and Amazon Prime Video to split screens on there. I'd love to just put Sufferfest on my phone, but it's an Android and they don't have an app yet. If it doesn't work, I may switch over to TR next month and see if I can do it on there. Catching up on shows is a good distraction.

Yes, I use The Sufferfest on the iPad.  I have not try to split screen it though.  I just had The Sufferfest on the iPad using a tripod music stand to hold it up and I could put on the TV if I wanted to. 

I do it mostly on an all in one laptop, I have done it on the TV and have the means to do it on the phone. You're good on an Ipad.

I don't think either app is split screen compatible. Suffererfest can run in the background though so it'll at least keep track of stats I'll probably run my wife's laptop for the video watching though.

So then the question is what to watch. I loved Breaking Bad, so I'm thinking Better Call Saul. Also thinking The Wire.

I could imagine watching anything but their video streams that correspond with the workout. I thrive on emotional abuse though.
2020-02-29 9:38 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
I had a little bike debacle today, but also discovered a bike hack. I found a flat on my back tire. I pulled out my electric pump and it must have died in one of the floods. I decided to just blow it up with a CO2 cartridge. I blew it up, took the adapted off of the presta valve and it unscrewed with the adopter. I also found that the extra valves were also lost in one of the floods. I decided to reuse the old one, but it wouldn't stay screwed in. I normally have Loctite, but I may have lost that in a flood too. I remembered that loctite has sugar in it. I had a used GU in the trash from the night before. I used the residue from the GU as a thread sealer. It Worked!
2020-03-01 5:24 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by ceilidh

Racing Manatees!!!

February 29-March 1
Ann- Rocheport Roubaix ride

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Ride, Ann, Ride!

Thanks Robin, it was a tough ride but you know I love those
2020-03-01 5:24 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by melbo55

Racing Manatees!!!

February 29-March 1
Ann- Rocheport Roubaix ride

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Have fun out there, Ann!!

Thank you! Fun ride!
2020-03-01 5:52 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by JBacarellaI had a little bike debacle today, but also discovered a bike hack. I found a flat on my back tire. I pulled out my electric pump and it must have died in one of the floods. I decided to just blow it up with a CO2 cartridge. I blew it up, took the adapted off of the presta valve and it unscrewed with the adopter. I also found that the extra valves were also lost in one of the floods. I decided to reuse the old one, but it wouldn't stay screwed in. I normally have Loctite, but I may have lost that in a flood too. I remembered that loctite has sugar in it. I had a used GU in the trash from the night before. I used the residue from the GU as a thread sealer. It Worked!
Good thinking! And explains why Gu kills my stomach

2020-03-01 4:31 PM
in reply to: amd723

Got in another swim in the Bay today - I love open water swimming, even when it's 55 degrees. Was calm in the start and then the wind picked up and took some chop. 5 weeks out from Oceanside 70.3.
2020-03-02 8:30 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella I had a little bike debacle today, but also discovered a bike hack. I found a flat on my back tire. I pulled out my electric pump and it must have died in one of the floods. I decided to just blow it up with a CO2 cartridge. I blew it up, took the adapted off of the presta valve and it unscrewed with the adopter. I also found that the extra valves were also lost in one of the floods. I decided to reuse the old one, but it wouldn't stay screwed in. I normally have Loctite, but I may have lost that in a flood too. I remembered that loctite has sugar in it. I had a used GU in the trash from the night before. I used the residue from the GU as a thread sealer. It Worked!

Yikes!  I'm glad that you were able to improvise a solution!

2020-03-02 8:46 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by JBacarellaI had a little bike debacle today, but also discovered a bike hack. I found a flat on my back tire. I pulled out my electric pump and it must have died in one of the floods. I decided to just blow it up with a CO2 cartridge. I blew it up, took the adapted off of the presta valve and it unscrewed with the adopter. I also found that the extra valves were also lost in one of the floods. I decided to reuse the old one, but it wouldn't stay screwed in. I normally have Loctite, but I may have lost that in a flood too. I remembered that loctite has sugar in it. I had a used GU in the trash from the night before. I used the residue from the GU as a thread sealer. It Worked!

Speaking of killing stomachs...

I'm sure that many of you have noticed that there is yet another change to the on course nutrition at Ironman events. Nope, not BASE bars at Chattanooga this year. We will be getting Quantum Energy Squares instead.  I received an offer to get their sample back of three bars for $1 so I went ahead and ordered them despite the fact that I have no plans to use them. Then again, one never plans to drop their nutrition (it happens) so I did want to know if it would work for me as a backup plan. 

The samples arrived last week so I got one out for my longer ride this weekend. 45 or so minute into the ride, I decided to try it. Crumbly, nutty to the point of a choking hazard when trying to breath while working out. Taste was ok. Sat like a rock in my stomach. 

I only looked at the nutrition after the fact. #1 ingredient is peanuts. 10 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber << not good for mid race.

How do I know that they are the official bars for the race? Did Ironman tell me or is it on the Chattanooga 70.3 website anywhere? Nope. Quantum emailed me and has the Ironman US Series -- 2020 Official Energy Bar logo on their website.

2020-03-02 8:46 AM
in reply to: rmschwartz418

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rmschwartz418 Got in another swim in the Bay today - I love open water swimming, even when it's 55 degrees. Was calm in the start and then the wind picked up and took some chop. 5 weeks out from Oceanside 70.3.

Sounds wonderful and invigorating, all but the wind/chop.

2020-03-02 8:47 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JBacarella I had a little bike debacle today, but also discovered a bike hack. I found a flat on my back tire. I pulled out my electric pump and it must have died in one of the floods. I decided to just blow it up with a CO2 cartridge. I blew it up, took the adapted off of the presta valve and it unscrewed with the adopter. I also found that the extra valves were also lost in one of the floods. I decided to reuse the old one, but it wouldn't stay screwed in. I normally have Loctite, but I may have lost that in a flood too. I remembered that loctite has sugar in it. I had a used GU in the trash from the night before. I used the residue from the GU as a thread sealer. It Worked!

Very interesting solution and very 'MacGyver' of you!  

2020-03-02 8:49 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by alaskatri Admittedly, I totally dropped the ball on JoGo the last two weeks. I have a travel week coming up - spring break - but will be doing some skiing, so I think I can do much better the next round. I'm in if a new one gets started for sure!!!!

Same, I disappointed myself with JoGo efforts and results.  I'd be in for a new round.

2020-03-02 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I'm sure that many of you have noticed that there is yet another change to the on course nutrition at Ironman events. Nope, not BASE bars at Chattanooga this year. We will be getting Quantum Energy Squares instead.  I received an offer to get their sample back of three bars for $1 so I went ahead and ordered them despite the fact that I have no plans to use them. Then again, one never plans to drop their nutrition (it happens) so I did want to know if it would work for me as a backup plan. 

The samples arrived last week so I got one out for my longer ride this weekend. 45 or so minute into the ride, I decided to try it. Crumbly, nutty to the point of a choking hazard when trying to breath while working out. Taste was ok. Sat like a rock in my stomach. 

I only looked at the nutrition after the fact. #1 ingredient is peanuts. 10 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber << not good for mid race.

How do I know that they are the official bars for the race? Did Ironman tell me or is it on the Chattanooga 70.3 website anywhere? Nope. Quantum emailed me and has the Ironman US Series -- 2020 Official Energy Bar logo on their website.

I received an email about the change too -I thought it was from IM, but maybe it was the company. 

2020-03-02 11:38 AM
in reply to: rmschwartz418

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by rmschwartz418 Got in another swim in the Bay today - I love open water swimming, even when it's 55 degrees.
  SO jealous!!  There is no ice on our river, but I'd bet the temps is down in the 30's.  I probably won't be able to get an open water swim until Memorial Day!

2020-03-02 11:40 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Walk/Jog - 45m - 2.89 miles - 15m 34s /Mi
4 x W9:J1 Distance is up slightly, this is exactly what I wanted to see. The jogging sections did not kill me, not even the last one. All 4 jogging sections were 12mph or faster. I do really want to try to find knee braces that will work though. My knees feel like pockets full of loose change for about the last 15 minutes or so. I will finish this week at W9:J1, then step it up to W8:J2 next week. AHR = 120, MHR = 155

Swim - 30m 28s - 1500.00 yards - 02m 02s /100 yards
Speed Day - 5x100 w/30s rests - 10x50 w 20s rests - 20x25 w/10s rests
It doesn't get much better than that! My speed drills turned in a pace that I would be "satisfied" with on race day. And I have little doubt that I will finish even faster on race day since this set of speed drills was completed AFTER I have done my W9:J1 workout. I know that for some of you the order seems backward, but I really need to be "fresh" for my Walk/Jog workout because it is,after all, my weakest discipline. AHR = 124, MHR = 142
  • Weight: 362, up 1 lb, but I am ALWAYS up on Mondays.  Goal for Friday is 359.5, I am adjusting my expectations to only 1.5 lbs/wk.
2020-03-02 1:31 PM

Hopefully everyone is aware of the change, and reads the labels before trying. Peanuts are a pretty serious allergy these days. I know because my son carries an epi-pen for it. Hopefully there are no hiccups/emergencies as a result of any allergic racers being unaware of the change.

2020-03-02 1:39 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hopefully everyone is aware of the change, and reads the labels before trying. Peanuts are a pretty serious allergy these days. I know because my son carries an epi-pen for it. Hopefully there are no hiccups/emergencies as a result of any allergic racers being unaware of the change.

I was actually wondering if more people have peanut allergies or gluten intollerence?  Anyway, should something bad happen to my nutrition, I'll search for on course options other than these Quantum bars.

2020-03-02 1:42 PM

User image

Next North America race is O-Side so I looked at their nutrition. They have Quantum listed at their bars.

2020-03-02 1:43 PM

I was actually wondering if more people have peanut allergies or gluten intollerence?  Anyway, should something bad happen to my nutrition, I'll search for on course options other than these Quantum bars.

I imagine more people have gluten intolerance, or at least a lot of people are getting away from gluten for what they perceive as an intolerance. But, for a lot of folks, the peanut allergy isn't really an intolerance. Rather, it creates anaphylaxis response and requires ER visit. I'd much rather have a stomach ache than that.
2020-03-02 1:43 PM

User image

Next North America race is O-Side so I looked at their nutrition. They have Quantum listed at their bars.

From the O-Side site:

On course you will find these fine products provided by our partners.

Hydration - Gatorade Endurance
Energy Drink - Red Bull
Salt - BASE Performance
Bars - Quantum Energy Squares
Gels - GU Octane
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127