BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-03-25 2:41 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Smart trainer peeps:

RGT - Road Grand Tours - is free for the time being.

https://www.rgtcycling.com/covid-19/

The last review that I saw on DCR said that it was a bit clunky but that was over a year ago.  Anyway, if you are bored with Zwift, etc. Here's an option.

There's a few Zwift like offerings out there from Rouvy and someone else (maybe RGT above). I saw it this morning on GCN 

Evidently, a few companies are stepping up with deals during this current mess we're in.

2020-03-26 4:50 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Saw these calming manatee memes and thought of you all

https://cheezburger.com/10959109/the-calming-manatee-meme-is-back-wi...

hugs, stay safe!

Awww, LOVE the calming manatees
2020-03-26 10:25 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Challenge Roth has been cancelled and the Ironman brand has been sold.

https://www.endurancebusiness.com/2020/industry-news/ironman-group-s...
2020-03-26 10:41 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo Challenge Roth has been cancelled and the Ironman brand has been sold. https://www.endurancebusiness.com/2020/industry-news/ironman-group-s...

2020-03-26 10:43 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by cdban66

POL and unsick post. Things are pretty calm here, although I must admit that the news has not been on regularly in our home in a week +

I've been keeping up with the conversation and can't help but be gutted for those that are going through this mess. Cancellations, unavailability, and all around lack of clarity are all combining to cause a mess indeed. Add to that the group of people that think this current mess doesn't apply to them (I'm looking at you, spring breakers) and I think it makes for something that is more difficult then it needs to be and will last longer as well. I am working from home and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. After a recent call with my sister (retired county administrator) it is apparent that many of our officials and decision makers seem to be struggling with how best to react, what to close, what to open, how long, etc

TW and I have been trying to keep some semblance of normalcy and calm for our families, with an increase in phone and video calls. This just proved to us that we need to do this more often, even when the crud isn't hitting the fan. Just more proof to me that it is people that matter in life, not all the ancillary stuff. Also, I do have to say that this group (and triathletes in general) has been long view type people. We'll get through the mess, but it's gonna take a while.  Let me know if you need a video chat on the book of faces and we'll be happy to put you in the list!

There are definitely pros and cons of technology during these times. Missinformation and social media created panic is not helpful, but the tools we have to communicate with others is incredible! I remember when I was a kid, and our grandma used to live in Chicago (we were in Poland, and it was communism). She was able to call us for few minutes only once in a while. It was expensive, and there were technical and political obstacles (phone calls from US were tracked by "special folks" who made sure you were not conspiricing......). Nowadays we can talk to relatives and friends from all countries, for free, with a video call! This is definitely helpful in times like these

At work we are taking advantages of video calls right now, to have a sense of community. Also, when you have a video call with other managers, and you see them in their homes, that are sometimes messy, with kids and cats all over the place, you realize you are not on it alone, and we all laugh and just support each other, while also doing work

I absolutely love your idea of vide meet-up! Even just for a coffee break I have a grouop at work with whom we decided to do wirtual coffee breaks. You know, when you go to the lunchroom to grab a coffee at work, and meet co-workers there, and have all sorts of chat, until you have to refill your coffee again We decided to do that virtually now, for few minutes while we enjoy the coffee
2020-03-26 10:46 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by fortissimo Challenge Roth has been cancelled and the Ironman brand has been sold. https://www.endurancebusiness.com/2020/industry-news/ironman-group-s...

...wow!

2020-03-26 12:25 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by marysia83 I absolutely love your idea of vide meet-up! Even just for a coffee break I have a grouop at work with whom we decided to do wirtual coffee breaks. You know, when you go to the lunchroom to grab a coffee at work, and meet co-workers there, and have all sorts of chat, until you have to refill your coffee again We decided to do that virtually now, for few minutes while we enjoy the coffee

Similar here. My work team now has a Tuesday morning virtual coffee and a Friday afternoon virtual happy hour. It's not mandatory, and we encourage bringing your pets, kids, partners, etc. into view to say hello. I thought I would just roll my eyes, but I really enjoyed both of them in the past week. Even this extreme introvert is missing real interactions with real people  I'm on week 4 of working from home, so a bit farther along than most.

2020-03-26 3:59 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Just checking in!!

We're on Day #8 of "Learn from Home" for our public school system, and other than those 20 (out of 260) students who didn't do anything at school and aren't doing anything from home, I have to say I'm pretty darned pleased with my kiddos. The fact that no one has rolled their eyes at me or mouthed off is an even bigger win. I do, however, miss many of my students dearly. We're having a Google Meet check-in tomorrow, so I hope many of them will pop in to say hi so I can see their faces.

The governor announced we'll be out until at least April 24th, but one more week until spring break, so a nice break to get caught up and not have to sit in front of this laptop for 10 hours each day!

My training has been a hot mess. I developed a pollen created cough about 2 weeks ago that I still can't shake. No other symptoms except sinus drainage, so pretty sure it's not COVID. I haven't done anything except walk dogs in the last week. Hoping I can get back to it in the next few days.

Zink (puppy #3) seems to have luxated his patella on Saturday, so we're now keeping him as calm and quiet as possible which isn't very fun. He's quite vocally not amused with the situation. Two weeks and we'll know if he needs surgery. Here's hoping he doesn't because Puppy #1 (James AKA Old Man Turner) had surgery to remove some lumps a few weeks ago and my fridge and microwave took a poop at the same time, so funding is low right now!

Hope everyone is well.
2020-03-26 8:31 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Expert
My virtual life story. I've told this story, but today it has a spin. My youngest daughter and most vicious child once asked me if I was going to ride on my trainer and she said so you are going to go pretend ride. I answered yes. She said you watch videos of people riding, and I said yes. So you are going to go pretend ride with your pretend friends. Ouch. That stuck for several years now. I have embraced this and tonight said I was going to go pretend ride with me pretend friends. My wife chimed in good thing you have established those pretend friendships or you would be pretend riding alone tonight. Double ouch.
2020-03-27 6:58 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs Just checking in!! We're on Day #8 of "Learn from Home" for our public school system, and other than those 20 (out of 260) students who didn't do anything at school and aren't doing anything from home, I have to say I'm pretty darned pleased with my kiddos. The fact that no one has rolled their eyes at me or mouthed off is an even bigger win. I do, however, miss many of my students dearly. We're having a Google Meet check-in tomorrow, so I hope many of them will pop in to say hi so I can see their faces. The governor announced we'll be out until at least April 24th, but one more week until spring break, so a nice break to get caught up and not have to sit in front of this laptop for 10 hours each day! My training has been a hot mess. I developed a pollen created cough about 2 weeks ago that I still can't shake. No other symptoms except sinus drainage, so pretty sure it's not COVID. I haven't done anything except walk dogs in the last week. Hoping I can get back to it in the next few days. Zink (puppy #3) seems to have luxated his patella on Saturday, so we're now keeping him as calm and quiet as possible which isn't very fun. He's quite vocally not amused with the situation. Two weeks and we'll know if he needs surgery. Here's hoping he doesn't because Puppy #1 (James AKA Old Man Turner) had surgery to remove some lumps a few weeks ago and my fridge and microwave took a poop at the same time, so funding is low right now! Hope everyone is well.

I'm glad that your students have adjusted. I support N.C.Cooperative Extension and I have had reports that some of the 4-H groups were meeting in person every other week and now they want to meet twice a week on Zoom   I guess they've embraced the technology?

Fingers crossed that Zink recovers with rest. If you can't keep him calm, can your vet prescribe something mild so that he can tolerate crate rest?  I know that it's not optimal but neither is surgery.

We had bad pollen here last week. Then lots of rain so we had a bit of a break. I think that it's supposed to be nice (but lots of pollen again) this weekend.

2020-03-27 6:59 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella My virtual life story. I've told this story, but today it has a spin. My youngest daughter and most vicious child once asked me if I was going to ride on my trainer and she said so you are going to go pretend ride. I answered yes. She said you watch videos of people riding, and I said yes. So you are going to go pretend ride with your pretend friends. Ouch. That stuck for several years now. I have embraced this and tonight said I was going to go pretend ride with me pretend friends. My wife chimed in good thing you have established those pretend friendships or you would be pretend riding alone tonight. Double ouch.

Haha! Tell her that you are a pro at social distancing!

2020-03-27 7:17 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs Just checking in!! We're on Day #8 of "Learn from Home" for our public school system, and other than those 20 (out of 260) students who didn't do anything at school and aren't doing anything from home, I have to say I'm pretty darned pleased with my kiddos. The fact that no one has rolled their eyes at me or mouthed off is an even bigger win. I do, however, miss many of my students dearly. We're having a Google Meet check-in tomorrow, so I hope many of them will pop in to say hi so I can see their faces. The governor announced we'll be out until at least April 24th, but one more week until spring break, so a nice break to get caught up and not have to sit in front of this laptop for 10 hours each day! My training has been a hot mess. I developed a pollen created cough about 2 weeks ago that I still can't shake. No other symptoms except sinus drainage, so pretty sure it's not COVID. I haven't done anything except walk dogs in the last week. Hoping I can get back to it in the next few days. Zink (puppy #3) seems to have luxated his patella on Saturday, so we're now keeping him as calm and quiet as possible which isn't very fun. He's quite vocally not amused with the situation. Two weeks and we'll know if he needs surgery. Here's hoping he doesn't because Puppy #1 (James AKA Old Man Turner) had surgery to remove some lumps a few weeks ago and my fridge and microwave took a poop at the same time, so funding is low right now! Hope everyone is well.

I'm working from home 4/5 days and it is brutal and i don't have to sit in front of the computer all day, so I can't imagine what you are dealing with 10 hours a day!! I feel like i've been on lockdown forever and it's only been 1 week and a bit. 

Our oak and grass pollen has been off the charts and since my adult development of allergies, I've been walking around with a runny nose for a month or so. Hope that's all yours is too!

Fingers crossed for Zink and your funds!!

2020-03-27 7:18 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella My virtual life story. I've told this story, but today it has a spin. My youngest daughter and most vicious child once asked me if I was going to ride on my trainer and she said so you are going to go pretend ride. I answered yes. She said you watch videos of people riding, and I said yes. So you are going to go pretend ride with your pretend friends. Ouch. That stuck for several years now. I have embraced this and tonight said I was going to go pretend ride with me pretend friends. My wife chimed in good thing you have established those pretend friendships or you would be pretend riding alone tonight. Double ouch.

Your family sounds a like like mine! Pretend friends are the best

2020-03-27 7:39 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Jim, how are the ribs coming along?

2020-03-27 8:56 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I've found that my pretend friends are pretty cool!

2020-03-27 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Haha! Tell her that you are a pro at social distancing!

My hubby and i were on our bikes the other night watching a travel show about italy - and we joked that we were touring through italy the safe way!!! Think of it that way!!! 

And for 'pretend riding' the sweat sure is real!

2020-03-27 9:16 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Funny!!  Friends are critical at times like this; pretend, internet, or real.  Keep those connections going!

2020-03-27 11:18 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Between Youtube videos for virtual cycling and the I-fit program on our treadmill, which allows you to do virtual runs in scenic locations all over the world, I can safely travel the world by run and bike.

Beginning to think Covid has ruined Italy for me. My favorites virtual rides (I watch GoPro footage on Youtube on the trainer) are largely in the Dolomites. We have been there several times in real life, both for biking and hiking. Also some routes in Spain and France. But now when I see the footage I keep wondering what those towns are like now, how many of the people I see on the screen are still alive.... If you've ever been to some of those little Italian hill towns in real life, then you'd know--guessing the average age in some of them is well over 70. Many young people leave for the city to work and come back only for holidays or other family gatherings (probably what spread the virus to the elders in the first place). Maybe the end of a way of life there?? So sad.
2020-03-27 11:45 AM

User image

Expert

Your family sounds a like like mine! Pretend friends are the best

I've never had drama with a pretend friend.

The ribs are healing. The bottom of my rib cage is still sore and I can't lay on one side. I have accepted the fact that I will not be able to run for a couple more weeks. I can ride, I can't get into the aero position. I think I have reduced the amount of rocking I do in the saddle, which is good. I can do some strength exercises and walk.
Thanks for asking.
2020-03-27 12:14 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by JBacarella My virtual life story....

Funny!!  Friends are critical at times like this; pretend, internet, or real.  Keep those connections going!

My only pretend friend on the bike trainer is Coach Chad at TrainerRoads and I roll my eyes at him and backtalk to him on a regular basis. 

Coach Chad:  "Okay, get into the Aero position.  We will try to go for 5 minutes but we will take it for 1 minute at a time."

Me:  "Ooo...5 minutes this time. I see we are building on the 30" in 30" out from previous rides". ....Eye roll...

Coach Chad:  "Okay, one minute down.  Well done.  If you need to come up do so now.  If you are feeling good stay down and keep going".

Me:  "Am I doing this aero thing wrong?  I thought that putting my hand in the aero bars and getting low is what they meant when they said "aero".  I have been doing that since the ride started 30 minutes ago.  Is there some type of TrainerRoads youtube video to explain this aero drill better?  If 1 minute is supposed to be enough to make a difference then what I am doing must not be it" 

Coach Chad:  Two minutes.  If your form is struggling come up.  You don't want to reinforce poor form.  If your form is still good and you can push things a little further keep going.

Me:  "That does it.  I know I am doing things wrong.  I am coming. up". 

Chad Chad:  "Three minutes...."

Me:  "I am can't hear you...I am not listening..."  Followed by totally ignoring Coach Chad and his in-ride instructions.   

Ya..I know...I need to make new pretend friends so I don't feel like I always pretend ride alone.

2020-03-27 1:06 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by JBacarella My virtual life story....

My only pretend friend on the bike trainer is Coach Chad at TrainerRoads and I roll my eyes at him and backtalk to him on a regular basis. 

Coach Chad:  "Okay, get into the Aero position.  We will try to go for 5 minutes but we will take it for 1 minute at a time."

Me:  "Ooo...5 minutes this time. I see we are building on the 30" in 30" out from previous rides". ....Eye roll...

Coach Chad:  "Okay, one minute down.  Well done.  If you need to come up do so now.  If you are feeling good stay down and keep going".

Me:  "Am I doing this aero thing wrong?  I thought that putting my hand in the aero bars and getting low is what they meant when they said "aero".  I have been doing that since the ride started 30 minutes ago.  Is there some type of TrainerRoads youtube video to explain this aero drill better?  If 1 minute is supposed to be enough to make a difference then what I am doing must not be it" 

Coach Chad:  Two minutes.  If your form is struggling come up.  You don't want to reinforce poor form.  If your form is still good and you can push things a little further keep going.

Me:  "That does it.  I know I am doing things wrong.  I am coming. up". 

Chad Chad:  "Three minutes...."

Me:  "I am can't hear you...I am not listening..."  Followed by totally ignoring Coach Chad and his in-ride instructions.   

Ya..I know...I need to make new pretend friends so I don't feel like I always pretend ride alone.

Unlike JBacarella, it sounds like you have some drama going with your pretend friends. :-D

I have not been as active this week as I would have liked in terms of bike/run, but I have been pretty committed to the run/walk a mile tab, yoga/stretch tab, and the hydrated tab on the JoGo this week. Yesterday was not so great on the hydration at work, so I had quite a bit of water to drink after work last night. Needless to say, I spent all night drinking and peeing. Got a 2+ mile walk in on the treadmill as well though.

2020-03-27 1:43 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

Choo manatees, I saw a FB that one of the hotels (THe Chatanooga, I believe) is canceling reservations through the race date! 

I saw that. Ironman is really dropping the ball on this one.

Yep, I'm not going even if they somehow managed to get Chatanooga to allow them, but it would be nice to have some clarity.

i am not either. Now to cancel my hotel reservations. The bad thing is i cant find my confirmation email. Poop.

Ann-Marie and I were having a side conversation about this and I wanted to bring it to the pod for a quick update.

I have not yet canceled my hotel reservations even though I would not seriously consider participating in a May 2020 event. I guess I am kind of waiting to hear the official word.  Yes, I know this makes no sense.

Robin, if you have not found your reservation and you made it through the Hilton site, you should be able to cancel that way.

After hearing what happened with IM St. George and noticing a note that I put on my to do list a while back, I think that we may get word on April 3.  St. George was rescheduled the day after the transfer deadline.  Our refund deadline is April 2.  Here's the info from the race website.

Withdrawal Options

a) Partial Refund

Withdrawal requests must be received in writing via email to [email protected]. Without exception, all requests must be received on or before April 2, 2020 to be eligible for a partial refund of $75.00 USD. Deferments and Transfers are NOT permitted. The Withdrawal Policy also applies to the Foundation and Relay Entries.

2020-03-27 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Any other work from homers having issues with their co-worker/s? Mine seems to think it is ok to lay with his head in my lap or lick my cheek. He must have missed the sex harassment training

2020-03-27 7:41 PM

User image

Any other work from homers having issues with their co-worker/s? Mine seems to think it is ok to lay with his head in my lap or lick my cheek. He must have missed the sex harassment training

My co-workers have been horrible! The newest co-worker insists on yelling at the oldest during every zoom meeting. The youngest female co-worker walked by the newest, hissed and swatted him in the butt. I'm expecting a harassment suit coming up very shortly.

2020-03-27 7:46 PM

User image

Choo manatees, I saw a FB that one of the hotels (THe Chatanooga, I believe) is canceling reservations through the race date! 

I saw that. Ironman is really dropping the ball on this one.

Yep, I'm not going even if they somehow managed to get Chatanooga to allow them, but it would be nice to have some clarity.

i am not either. Now to cancel my hotel reservations. The bad thing is i cant find my confirmation email. Poop.

Ann-Marie and I were having a side conversation about this and I wanted to bring it to the pod for a quick update.

I have not yet canceled my hotel reservations even though I would not seriously consider participating in a May 2020 event. I guess I am kind of waiting to hear the official word.  Yes, I know this makes no sense.

Robin, if you have not found your reservation and you made it through the Hilton site, you should be able to cancel that way.

After hearing what happened with IM St. George and noticing a note that I put on my to do list a while back, I think that we may get word on April 3.  St. George was rescheduled the day after the transfer deadline.  Our refund deadline is April 2.  Here's the info from the race website.

Withdrawal Options

a) Partial Refund

Withdrawal requests must be received in writing via email to [email protected]. Without exception, all requests must be received on or before April 2, 2020 to be eligible for a partial refund of $75.00 USD. Deferments and Transfers are NOT permitted. The Withdrawal Policy also applies to the Foundation and Relay Entries.

I think you guys should cancel and then do Challenge Daytona with me on Dec. 5.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127