BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-03-31 3:27 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by ceilidh I called to cancel my reservation. The hilton has a wonderful recording explaining that, due to the current situation, people are working from home so please understand if you hear pets or children in the background. That made me smile.

Funny, as part of my real job, I wrote a similar script for our Care agents to say if they had unexpected background noise. My company sent 2,000+ call center agents to work from home over the past 3 weeks - unprecedented! But seems to be working well!

Interesting. I am wondering how that may change the future work enviroment. My current employer never wanted to hear about remote work (private university), but recently started allowing some folks, due to lack of actual physical office space... Now almost all of us are working from home. And it seems to work really well. So far absolutely everyone is responsive, the work is being done. My departmnt always struggles with finding new lab space, and places for new students. Having some admin folks working from home would definitely help solving the problem...
Listening to anyone competent regarding COVID 19 we have another 18 months for this thing to run it's course. I think that we will have to adapt the way we all do business to both get through this and keep the economy moving. One of my jobs is in a prosecutor's office. I've been there for 15 months and the entire time I have been fighting an uphill battle to modernize it. Little things like changing our computers which are 10 years old and run on Windows 7 have been difficult. The whole concepts of electronic files, cloud storage and working remotely are just short of voodoo. Now that Michigan is on lock down it's very clear that we have to change the way we do business. The current process has me going into the office everyday, dropping off the work from the day before and picking up more work for the next day. We can't share everything, if I take home a file no one else can work on it. It's cumbersome and slow. None of this really increases costs, and would make us more efficient.

My agency is sort of up to date enough that makes working remotely not too, too bad. However, bc we are a law enforcement agency with lots of sensitive information there are lots of rules and some barriers to accessing everything when remote. We also have digitized all our litigation files. But, on the whole when i work from home I can be somewhat productive. 

I have everything digitized at my civil office and can just as easily work remotely as I do in the office. I usually just take my laptop to court on my civil cases, I did the same when I did defense work. I can even work off of my phone. The prosecutor's office does have the same type of privacy concerns. The real problem is the current prosecutor. He struggles with emails and texts, and has never had an interest in learning. In fact our office still uses legal sized files, even though our state Supreme Court has not allowed a legal sized filing since 1994.

2020-03-31 3:28 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by alaskatri

Originally posted by jmkizer

For those of you who are riding your trainers more but are not using Zwift/TrainerRoad/TheSufferfest, here is an offer for you

The Sufferfest is free for six weeks with the following code:

To make sure everyone can benefit from these plans, we're offering new users a free month in addition to the standard 14-day trial, so you can get oriented in the app and complete a 4-week plan for free. Just use promo code ALLINSUFPLAN when you create your subscription.

Amazing offer! Sufferfest is really coming out with some neats things. 

I wish they would get their Android app developed. I've seen promises on the web going back a couple years to getting an Android app, but still nothing. I am actually considering switching over to Trainer Road just for the Android capability.

yes, I understand that is a big issue! For some reason, they keep running into problems with it. I saw them address the issue in the comments section after the DCRainmaker article about the various training apps. I just glanced at it though so don't know the full response!

Zwift, oddly enough, made me motion sick watching it on ipad. I like Sufferfest because it's just a workout and done, not racing (although I get that's the attraction for lots of folks to Zwift). I also like the yoga/stretching on Sufferfest, but that's plenty available on youtube. Maybe my reasons for switching are lame, but my ipad can't run Sufferfest and Amazon prime video at the same time. I want to be able to have my bike app run from my phone. Since I just do the canned workouts, I'm thinking TR might work just as well, only cost $5 more a month.

If it gets you on the trainer it's not lame! Trainer Road is a great product too. I understand they just came out with the ability for you to do workouts with up to 5 of your friends. As i understand it, you all do the same workout and the program keeps you all together. You can see each others' power and each other. That sounds pretty cool!

My training partner and I were going to use this, but we wanted to do a non-TR workout (i.e. one that was built by her coach). Instead, we start a Zoom meeting and start the workout at the same time.  Works well!

If you Zwift, you can do workouts together as well

https://zwiftinsider.com/zwift-meetup-group-workouts/

2020-03-31 5:05 PM

Pssst… Challenge Daytona... December 5...

haha, that race has gotten lots of good reviews!

Never heard of that race so I looked it up. That actually looks like a TON of fun!!!
2020-03-31 6:03 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Never heard of that race so I looked it up. That actually looks like a TON of fun!!!

My brother-in-law did it last year and said it was a blast! He said the interaction with the pros was amazing. He did say that because the bike is so flat you stay in aero the entire time, making the transition to the run more difficult.

For me the best thing about racing in Daytona - Walt Disney World is on the way back to the airport. We're probably going to stay at WDW a few days because I'm 5 and I need to see my friends Mickey, Tigger, and Dug.
2020-04-01 9:40 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Good morning Manatees! Glad to see all the chatter going on.

I am having a super down day - it's early. And there seems to be no logical reason.  Everything is fine. It's tough having all of us home - we are getting paid, we have food, etc etc. My manager isn't worried about any particular productivity. I know i have a good situation I still feel super bummed. With the start of April i just am feeling like it's not going to end. 

So, hope you all are having a sunnier day than me and we keep on as best we can. 

2020-04-01 9:47 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania

For those of you who are riding your trainers more but are not using Zwift/TrainerRoad/TheSufferfest, here is an offer for you

To make sure everyone can benefit from these plans, we're offering new users a free month in addition to the standard 14-day trial, so you can get oriented in the app and complete a 4-week plan for free. Just use promo code ALLINSUFPLAN when you create your subscription.

Thanks for this, Janyne!!

And thanks to all the Chatt folks chiming in; it looks like we'll be having a 'let's try this again' May 2021?  I didn't officially defer yet but will soon.

2020-04-01 9:55 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

And thanks to all the Chatt folks chiming in; it looks like we'll be having a 'let's try this again' May 2021?  I didn't officially defer yet but will soon.

I'd highly recommend The Sufferfest, even if you only use it for six weeks of yoga. It does not require a fast internet connection (you can download to your device) and works great on an iPad -- no fancy requirements.

Regarding Chattanooga 70.3, I wish that we could do a poll. I do believe that you are correct, Ann-Marie has already deferred and I think that Robin is deferring to next May as well. I wanted to touch base with you, Melanie, before I made my final decision but I'm pretty much in for 2021.  If you want to do IMNC, that could sway me in that direction.  It sounds like you are in for May 2021 though so that's it. Four for four, right?

2020-04-01 9:56 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by juniperjen

I am having a super down day - it's early. And there seems to be no logical reason.  Everything is fine. It's tough having all of us home - we are getting paid, we have food, etc etc. My manager isn't worried about any particular productivity. I know i have a good situation I still feel super bummed. With the start of April i just am feeling like it's not going to end. 

So, hope you all are having a sunnier day than me and we keep on as best we can. 

Sorry to hear you are having a down day.  Even though your situation is overall good (job, home, etc), it is still claustrophobic feeling not being allowed to live life as we are accustomed.  Knowing that this altered lifestyle is going to be extended for sure is a buzz kill, no matter how important it is for our health and safety.  I hope your mood lifts soon.

I am struggling as well.  It started yesterday when I learned we'd be working from home to at least April 30 but likely May 16, the end of the semester even though my job isn't fully tied to campus activity.  It was further compounded by the pres of PSU discussing releasing and/or furloughing people after April 30.  My dept chair said he will work hard to prevent that and I know he will - he's fought for us in the past.  But still, the anxiety of that is not pleasant. I also *think* I might be OK (to not be released and hopefully not furloughed, either) but who the heck knows in this crazy climate.

We'll just keep on keeping on and soldiering forward.

2020-04-01 9:57 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

hope your say gets better. It is an overwhelming situation. It is easy to get down..
2020-04-01 9:58 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I'd highly recommend The Sufferfest, even if you only use it for six weeks of yoga. It does not require a fast internet connection (you can download to your device) and works great on an iPad -- no fancy requirements.

Regarding Chattanooga 70.3, I wish that we could do a poll. I do believe that you are correct, Ann-Marie has already deferred and I think that Robin is deferring to next May as well. I wanted to touch base with you, Melanie, before I made my final decision but I'm pretty much in for 2021.  If you want to do IMNC, that could sway me in that direction.  It sounds like you are in for May 2021 though so that's it. Four for four, right?

Yup, I can easily be convinced to try Chatt in 2021 instead of NC.  NC, although it sounds like a nice race and is in my preferred temp range, worries me because of hurricane season plus the possible resurgence of COVID-19 causing that to be cancelled, too. 

2020-04-01 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling down today. I'm sure that when we were thinking about spring 2020, none of us though, "I think we should all stay at home for a month or two!"  I'm glad that I able to get outside to run and bike and walk Zoe.  Like you, I know that we are fortunate regarding food, shelter, paycheck.  I'm sure that we will all have good days and bad days. I only hope that we -- and our loved ones -- all stay healthy.

Thinking of all of the Manatees! {{hugs}}

2020-04-01 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Sorry to hear you are having a down day.  Even though your situation is overall good (job, home, etc), it is still claustrophobic feeling not being allowed to live life as we are accustomed.  Knowing that this altered lifestyle is going to be extended for sure is a buzz kill, no matter how important it is for our health and safety.  I hope your mood lifts soon.

I am struggling as well.  It started yesterday when I learned we'd be working from home to at least April 30 but likely May 16, the end of the semester even though my job isn't fully tied to campus activity.  It was further compounded by the pres of PSU discussing releasing and/or furloughing people after April 30.  My dept chair said he will work hard to prevent that and I know he will - he's fought for us in the past.  But still, the anxiety of that is not pleasant. I also *think* I might be OK (to not be released and hopefully not furloughed, either) but who the heck knows in this crazy climate.

We'll just keep on keeping on and soldiering forward.

We just got the official word at NC State -- no face-to-face summer classes. Online only.

I've been crazy busy. I hope that means job security.  Who knows. :-(

2020-04-01 10:05 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yup, I can easily be convinced to try Chatt in 2021 instead of NC.  NC, although it sounds like a nice race and is in my preferred temp range, worries me because of hurricane season plus the possible resurgence of COVID-19 causing that to be cancelled, too. 

Personally, I'm more worried about Covid than hurricanes.  I just don't want to be six weeks out and have the race canned, again.

2020-04-01 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Same here. Looks like Oregon will go to all online learning for the rest of the school year. Not 100% certain, but the latest info from the state and district seems to be saying that is most likely.

Pretty much resigning myself to no racing this year, either, after sitting out last year entirely, except for one half-marathon that, due to other health issues, was really just a supported training run. Summer hopes fading quickly. I'm still holding out a little hope for Crater Lake Marathon in August but really no idea. Even if the virus subsides, the logistics of a 70.3 or longer during the school year (we start early September) are just too daunting, and would worry about spreading myself too thin and then facing a resurgence of virus cases in fall. I guess (if I'm lucky) my Kona/Worlds fantasies will have to wait for 55-59 or beyond. For now I'm still training to keep in shape and maintain sanity....

Going to check out online learning websites. OMG.
2020-04-01 11:22 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh

hope your say gets better. It is an overwhelming situation. It is easy to get down..

yes, sorry you are feeling down and I hope your mood brightens soon. It is so odd to be in this situation. I am working from home 4/5 days, yesterday being my in the office day. It was weird to feel so happy to be going into work  It’s also weird to see the difference in my dog on the days I work from home. Following me from room to room must take a lot of energy bc our evenings are much quieter!

2020-04-01 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

yes, sorry you are feeling down and I hope your mood brightens soon. It is so odd to be in this situation. I am working from home 4/5 days, yesterday being my in the office day. It was weird to feel so happy to be going into work  It’s also weird to see the difference in my dog on the days I work from home. Following me from room to room must take a lot of energy bc our evenings are much quieter!

Zoe has repeatedly reminded me that having us home is exhausting!  Also, the service her sucks.

2020-04-01 12:44 PM

I've been lucky enough to still get to come into the office. Small town, very few covid cases here, and I can come in and pretty much shut my door and do work in isolation. For hearings I just call in to the courtroom conference line and everyone is telephonic. It is working nicely thus far, which is good because DW is working at home and doing Zoom meetings with students and parents all day, and the kidlets are doing their 'home school' work through the day. I'm not sure it would go well for all of us to be working from home at the same time. So I definitely feel for those of you having to do that.

It has been warming up a bit here and it feels like spring may be in the not too distant future, but I've been surprised plenty in years past how long winter can hang on. I have been able to come in early with nobody in the office and then skip out of work a little early most days and we all do an afternoon walk to get outside and wind down a little. I've been back on the trainer a couple times this week for the first time in a while and keeping my hydration in good order. Also starting to look for 2021 races since it looks like there won't be much going on this year.

Best of luck for everyone to hang in!!!
2020-04-01 3:22 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Expert
Originally posted by fortissimo

My brother-in-law did it last year and said it was a blast! He said the interaction with the pros was amazing. He did say that because the bike is so flat you stay in aero the entire time, making the transition to the run more difficult.

For me the best thing about racing in Daytona - Walt Disney World is on the way back to the airport. We're probably going to stay at WDW a few days because I'm 5 and I need to see my friends Mickey, Tigger, and Dug.

My Friend/client/the guy that owns the Company that owns the race here manages the race for Challenge Daytona. He wanted me to come race it last fall. I had IMFLA going, so I passed. He puts on a good race. It is usually run well and everything is where it is supposed to be when he says it will be there. He can be defensive and abrupt, but I think he runs a good race, especially for being a small company.
2020-04-01 3:28 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Expert

I've been lucky enough to still get to come into the office. Small town, very few covid cases here, and I can come in and pretty much shut my door and do work in isolation. For hearings I just call in to the courtroom conference line and everyone is telephonic. It is working nicely thus far, which is good because DW is working at home and doing Zoom meetings with students and parents all day, and the kidlets are doing their 'home school' work through the day. I'm not sure it would go well for all of us to be working from home at the same time. So I definitely feel for those of you having to do that.

It has been warming up a bit here and it feels like spring may be in the not too distant future, but I've been surprised plenty in years past how long winter can hang on. I have been able to come in early with nobody in the office and then skip out of work a little early most days and we all do an afternoon walk to get outside and wind down a little. I've been back on the trainer a couple times this week for the first time in a while and keeping my hydration in good order. Also starting to look for 2021 races since it looks like there won't be much going on this year.

Best of luck for everyone to hang in!!!

MDOC just moved from Polycom to Zoom for court appearances and it has been great. It is much more user friendly and consistent that Poly com was. I am fairly sure that everyone that used that system hated it.
A 55 year old male that my wife went to HS with passed away from complications due to COVID-19. She wasn't close to him, but it certainly is sobering and brings it home.
2020-04-01 3:29 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
I love The Sufferfest. That was an unpaid for endorsement.
2020-04-01 3:44 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

Originally posted by JBacarella

MDOC just moved from Polycom to Zoom for court appearances and it has been great. It is much more user friendly and consistent that Poly com was. I am fairly sure that everyone that used that system hated it.

We use polycom and I am definitely in the "everyone" camp that hates it.

2020-04-01 6:44 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Jen, I am sorry to see this. I don't think you are alone. We just got off a call with a friend that had a rough day as well. She is having to shut out her granddaughter, due to some family concerns with this whole mess. She was a crying mess on the phone and I have NEVER seen that side of her. It was heartbreaking.  One thing I try to keep in the front of my mind is perspective. This sucks, not seeing people sucks, not doing the things we love sucks, the list goes on. But the reality for most of us is that we have to keep moving forward.  And that can be trying at times, so go easy on yourself. It's going to take a while to get through it and you will go through a ton of emotions. Accept them, work through them and rememebr how strong you truly are. Those that have known me for a while know that I have a spiritual core, although I am mostly internal about it. However, I do want you all to know that I am keeping each and every one of you and your families in my thoughts and prayers. 

Now for the lighter stuff. I have almost accepted the fact that I am going to have to get a trainer for the bike, especially given the Stay at Home order that Florida received today. So, since I haven't received a stimulus check yet, but have managed to spend it three times over, what is one more thing?  Time to go shopping. From my couch.

Stay well eveyone.

2020-04-01 8:33 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
GA made the decision today that all public k-12 schools will finish the year online.

My 115 students doubled to 230 on Thurs when my co-worker went on maternity leave.

Zink was diagnosed with a luxated patella last week & will need surgery. It's congenital & they warned us about the other rear leg. It started luxating today, so he'll likely need 2 surgeries.

I'm still not over my pollen induced cough so I cannot run or bike.

It sucks.

But my pups love having me home. My husband is home, so we're together. It was a stunner of a day today. And I have Tussionex cough syrup that's gonna knock my coughing arse out in about 30 minutes.

XO my manatees
2020-04-02 7:15 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by glfprncsGA made the decision today that all public k-12 schools will finish the year online.My 115 students doubled to 230 on Thurs when my co-worker went on maternity leave.Zink was diagnosed with a luxated patella last week & will need surgery. It's congenital & they warned us about the other rear leg. It started luxating today, so he'll likely need 2 surgeries.I'm still not over my pollen induced cough so I cannot run or bike.It sucks.But my pups love having me home. My husband is home, so we're together. It was a stunner of a day today. And I have Tussionex cough syrup that's gonna knock my coughing arse out in about 30 minutes. XO my manatees
115 students!!!!!!! Now 230!!!!! Holy hell. That is 200 too many. I am sorry about Zink..that is rough
2020-04-02 7:59 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs GA made the decision today that all public k-12 schools will finish the year online. My 115 students doubled to 230 on Thurs when my co-worker went on maternity leave. Zink was diagnosed with a luxated patella last week & will need surgery. It's congenital & they warned us about the other rear leg. It started luxating today, so he'll likely need 2 surgeries. I'm still not over my pollen induced cough so I cannot run or bike. It sucks. But my pups love having me home. My husband is home, so we're together. It was a stunner of a day today. And I have Tussionex cough syrup that's gonna knock my coughing arse out in about 30 minutes. XO my manatees

Wow, that's a lot of kids even without the doubling up! So sorry about Zink, I hope the surgeries are as easy as they can be both on him and your pocketbook! 

I had a few coughs yesterday morning and immediately thought the secretary that went home sick Tuesday had infected me with COVID-19. Then I remembered allergies and felt a lot better And, my secretary is fine too.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127