BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-04-09 12:06 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by abake Proof of Life post here. From a training perspective, all of my spring events have been either cancelled or rescheduled to the fall. I'm waiting to hear on an August race and don't have a lot of faith that it will take place. Basically 2020 will just be a year of base training. I really feel for those of you who are trying to homeschool AND work from home --- it doesn't seem possible to do both. My friends who are in the same boat have expressed feelings of helplessness and frustration, one is looking into using Family Leave Act to get through the school year.

I just told my coach, only 58.5 weeks until my A race!

Yes, home school + work at the same time seems impossibly stressful. 

2020-04-09 1:44 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Happy almost long weekend everyone!! However that looks. 

At least we won't have to work and kid wrangle for a few days. 

How will you be enjoying your time at home? 

2020-04-09 1:55 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by juniperjen

my cousin who just lost her husband is coming to visit (staying in one of our currently vacant cottages) I hope to get a few long walks with her if the weather cooperates.
2020-04-09 10:29 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Enjoy???? From the teacher end of this, there is no "weekend" or "enjoy". Trying to make up engaging, instructive online lessons that conform to the constantly changing guidelines from our district, and trying to help the less tech-savvy parents cope. Plus maybe putting on my biohazard suit to go to the grocery store. It's supposed to be nice so hopefully can get in a little sun time on our patio.
2020-04-10 6:28 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm working Friday.  NC State University is open for Good Friday and then closed extra time over Christmas.  The good news is that the counties are mostly closed and my department mostly supports the counties so it should be a quiet day.  We've been in serious whack-a-mole mode for the past month and I may be able to catch up a bit today.

I hope to get in a nice, outdoor ride this weekend.  I've been Zwifting during the week.

2020-04-10 6:32 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Enjoy???? From the teacher end of this, there is no "weekend" or "enjoy". Trying to make up engaging, instructive online lessons that conform to the constantly changing guidelines from our district, and trying to help the less tech-savvy parents cope. Plus maybe putting on my biohazard suit to go to the grocery store. It's supposed to be nice so hopefully can get in a little sun time on our patio.

I see many of the events that go on in the county as part of my daily work. They had zillions of summer events planned -- 4-H camps and summer fun programs.  All of those have been scrapped.  Now I see a lot of virtual events coming in. Some are super creative. So yeah, I understand the do-over that you are going through! Hang in there!

2020-04-10 6:35 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I keep on wanting to tell Dr. Birx that she's wearing her face mask wrong. That scarf should not be around her neck.

2020-04-10 9:37 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

We don't have Good Friday off, but today is one of my work from home days, so it will be enjoyed by having my co-worker follow me everywhere, steal my running shoe (usually the left) whenever he wants more attention, and give me kisses just because! He's too cute to report to HR!

On the weekend I hope to complete IM's 2d virtual race. I'm dealing with a bit on a leg issue, so we shall see about that. I also hope to take the gravel bike out Sunday.

2020-04-10 9:39 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

I keep on wanting to tell Dr. Birx that she's wearing her face mask wrong. That scarf should not be around her neck.

She does love her scarfs! During one of our local briefings, the city mayor wore his face mask trying to set a good example for the rest of us. 

2020-04-10 10:55 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

Well, Alaska schools are now officially on distance learning for the rest of the year. And the majority of court hearings being cancelled is extended to the end of May. So we're in this for quite a while longer I guess.
2020-04-10 12:37 PM

User image

Thanks so much everyone for the commiseration yesterday. We are all in this together with its own issues. 

I am very much thinking about pausing my triathlon training - it's been going well but i am not really into it. The chances of my race actually happening on June 21st are pretty slim at this point.

One of the things I wanted to do was one of the Beach Body programs from start to end ... so i might pick up that and then re-assess the tri season at that point. Just mulling some options 

Which are you thinking about? I have done some beach body with my wife (they are always asking some guys to join their challenge groups) Chris Downing is a riot, and I personally like LIIFT4

2020-04-10 12:48 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Originally posted by melbo55

Perhaps a virtual manatee 5K?  Trying to get everyone coordinated for some sort of live group interface might be akin to herding cats.

Fun April holidays we could turn into event day(s):  maybe do a 5K walk, run, whatever mode of movement that makes you happy

April 6: tartan day - wear some sort of plaid or Scottish garb 
April 7: national beer day (although I know not all manatees are beer drinkers - we'll accept other drinks)
April 11: pet day
April 16: high five day
April 22: earth day
April 24: arbor day
April 26: pretzel day
April 30: international jazz day

Damn sorry I missed it, but April 9th is Unicorn day (I have daughters)
2020-04-10 1:09 PM

User image

Originally posted by jmkizer

How are all of you rethinking your year from a training perspective? Like most (all?) of the other Manatee Choo 70.3ers, I have deferred to May 2021.  That leaves lots of wide open spaces.  

I think that I am going to pretend that I am training for some fall cycling -- something like Bike MS in September or or FestiVelo in November and also pretend that I will be able to run a half marathon or three (Ocean Isle or OBX or Mother Earth).  Anyway, making plans that might well fall through just to provide a loose run and bike structure for the year.

Of course those are my current thoughts and that might change!

Once they postponed 70.3 VBR, I essentially stopped my long run. I general enjoy it be it tough to carve out the time. Today they announced the race would be rescheduled for 2021 or you could move to 1 of 7 races. Currently trying to rebuild a fall season that would include either white lake or OBX and the NC 70.3 in Wrightsville.

Although I enjoy the training its hard to justify the longer efforts if I don't have a race. A 5 mile run or a bike under an hour I don't feel guilty about, but longer efforts I do. Without an event I feel a little guilty if my wife wants to watch a movie and I had a workout planned. Family tends to understand if I have a goal.

2020-04-10 2:14 PM
in reply to: #5269246

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
After 4 weeks of non-stop coughing (that started when the pine pollen turned my car yellow the first time), I finally went to urgent care. Bronchitis, so a nice shot in the booty, some prednisone & a Z-pack.

Zink is day 4 post op from his double medial patellar luxation surgery & is doing amazing.

We're both chilling on the patio in the sunshine waiting to get better.

Husband is a Tour caddie (coming off a horrible year last year), so we finally applied for unemployment since he now can. Waiting on approval so we won't go down the financial debt rabbit hole. No idea when he may be able to return to work.

What an interesting time this is. It's a little frightening thinking about how this may all play out.
2020-04-10 2:30 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by nrpoulin

Thanks so much everyone for the commiseration yesterday. We are all in this together with its own issues. 

I am very much thinking about pausing my triathlon training - it's been going well but i am not really into it. The chances of my race actually happening on June 21st are pretty slim at this point.

One of the things I wanted to do was one of the Beach Body programs from start to end ... so i might pick up that and then re-assess the tri season at that point. Just mulling some options 

Which are you thinking about? I have done some beach body with my wife (they are always asking some guys to join their challenge groups) Chris Downing is a riot, and I personally like LIIFT4

I started 80 Day Obsession this week! i have tried Liift 4 as it came highly recommended but i want more frequency for now ... i could see using it when training for a run race But so far enjoying something basically completely different than tri training and all i have to do is blindly follow the program! No decisions! 

Is your wife a coach? 

And i am so with you on the longer efforts when there is no event on the horizon ... really hard to justify the time away. And at least for me, isn't the way i really want to spend my time at the moment. 

Also are you working more with all of this going on? 

2020-04-10 2:30 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by glfprncs

After 4 weeks of non-stop coughing (that started when the pine pollen turned my car yellow the first time), I finally went to urgent care. Bronchitis, so a nice shot in the booty, some prednisone & a Z-pack.

Zink is day 4 post op from his double medial patellar luxation surgery & is doing amazing.

We're both chilling on the patio in the sunshine waiting to get better.

Husband is a Tour caddie (coming off a horrible year last year), so we finally applied for unemployment since he now can. Waiting on approval so we won't go down the financial debt rabbit hole. No idea when he may be able to return to work.

What an interesting time this is. It's a little frightening thinking about how this may all play out.

From one of my favorite youtube videos ever!!!! Hope you feel better soon.

Edited by alaskatri 2020-04-10 2:31 PM

(bronchitis.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bronchitis.jpg (41KB - 2 downloads)

2020-04-10 3:01 PM

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin

I started 80 Day Obsession this week! i have tried Liift 4 as it came highly recommended but i want more frequency for now ... i could see using it when training for a run race But so far enjoying something basically completely different than tri training and all i have to do is blindly follow the program! No decisions! 

Is your wife a coach? 

And i am so with you on the longer efforts when there is no event on the horizon ... really hard to justify the time away. And at least for me, isn't the way i really want to spend my time at the moment. 

Also are you working more with all of this going on? 

She has fluctuated with her coaching over the last few years. Now she is more of a discount coach. She has done 80 day a few times and I think is currently 40 days in. She has paused a little on this one once the kids came out of school. She likes the longer programs, and likes Autumn. I think she recently did a little obsessed and didn't like it as much. A few years ago I worked with their coaching group to help encourage the male clients as the coaching group was all female. LIIFT4 and Shift Shop work more with my running and tri type training but I usually frizzle out. When I did my 70.3 in SC I used BB performance line, and really liked it. It was fun doing the workouts together and we may start again now that my spring races have ghosted me.
2020-04-10 5:53 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Still here! Next to no internet on the mountain and all my free WiFi Hangouts are closed due to stay at home. Been going for walks every other day but afraid to really kick it until after upcoming stress test. 16 more days to go.

We lost 8 hens to fox attacks over the last few weeks but I'm pretty sure I killed him last time he visited. Wild game tends to run a while before it dies but I have always qualified expert on the range at work so I'm pretty sure of my shots.

DW insisted on a new and improved hen house and a fenced yard for them. They used to be free range but not since the fox. So I've spent the last week building the hen house. Plan to finish it tomorrow.

Maybe during one of my breaks I will take the Hulk for a ride.

Tom, congrats on the "new" bike. I love the way you are upcycling.
2020-04-11 10:37 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Mont Tremblant has 70.3 marked as postponed now. No word from race organizers but flagged on tri group on Facebook. 

2020-04-11 12:43 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Mont Tremblant has 70.3 marked as postponed now. No word from race organizers but flagged on tri group on Facebook. 

interesting the FB group has the information before the race emails everyone!

we knew Chattanooga 70.3 was being postponed before race told us too because the hotels told some people who cancelled their reservations what was in the works!

2020-04-11 12:45 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando

So, I’ve had a rather crappy Saturday. On what I knew was going to be a short run and why was I even doing it, I tripped and fell hard enough to crack my patella. ortho appointment to be scheduled Monday. Good thing Choo is postponed!

2020-04-11 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ouch! My sympathies. Hope no surgery is needed!
2020-04-11 1:00 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Ouch! My sympathies. Hope no surgery is needed!

thanks, me too!

2020-04-11 2:47 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by amd723

So, I’ve had a rather crappy Saturday. On what I knew was going to be a short run and why was I even doing it, I tripped and fell hard enough to crack my patella. ortho appointment to be scheduled Monday. Good thing Choo is postponed!

OH NO!! So sorry! I hope you aren't on much pain.
2020-04-11 4:13 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by ceilidh
Originally posted by amd723

OH NO!! So sorry! I hope you aren't on much pain.

Oh man! that stinks. As she said above, hope you're feeling okay - but also not great to take away exercise for a while! So sorry. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127