BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-07-02 1:29 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Sending Karen gets some good swim slots zen your way!

2X

2020-07-02 3:45 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Originally posted by marysia83

Originally posted by fortissimo

Welcome to Colorado! I'm north of Denver. What reservoir are you near?

Remind me, you are Longmont or Fort Collins...? I was originally planning to move to Longmont. I have friends there.
I am by Cherry Creek Reservoir. But if you have something closer to you, and would like to swim together, let me know and I can drive

I'm in Thornton, which on a good day in Denver traffic is about 60 minutes away from you. I usually swim in Boulder Rez but it's still closed. Is Cherry Creek open for swimming?

If you do swim in CC, make sure you shower ASAP when you're done. The goose poop has bacteria that can give you "swimmers itch." Every race I've done there they make you run through a sprinkler/shower station before you get on the bike.

Longmont has a nice lake called Union Reservoir that has OWS times. Unfortunately they are closed as well.
2020-07-02 4:08 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Denver, Colorado

Welcome to Colorado! I'm north of Denver. What reservoir are you near?

Remind me, you are Longmont or Fort Collins...? I was originally planning to move to Longmont. I have friends there.
I am by Cherry Creek Reservoir. But if you have something closer to you, and would like to swim together, let me know and I can drive

I'm in Thornton, which on a good day in Denver traffic is about 60 minutes away from you. I usually swim in Boulder Rez but it's still closed. Is Cherry Creek open for swimming?

If you do swim in CC, make sure you shower ASAP when you're done. The goose poop has bacteria that can give you "swimmers itch." Every race I've done there they make you run through a sprinkler/shower station before you get on the bike.

Longmont has a nice lake called Union Reservoir that has OWS times. Unfortunately they are closed as well.

Um... ok, you convinced me... no swimming in CC....
I will wait until the other two are open
2020-07-02 6:42 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Eeeewwww! Glad for my Cottage Grove Lake. Very few waterfowl.... That was an issue in Boise at Quinn's Pond though, if I didn't shower off quickly enough. I came very close to running into ducks or geese a couple of times.

I did manage to get the slots I wanted, although at one point (was told to check back with them after swimming) found out I was #253. No idea how that happens....Apparently their system can take 50 calls at a time. To be on top you just have to happen to get through exactly when their line opens, and not a second before. Ugh. Anyway, the schedule lady said there is less demand for mid-day slots, due to people working, and not wanting to get fried. (Mid-day in summer in Oregon is actually usually sunny!)

Good to go for the next two weeks, untilI get to repeat this madness again!
2020-07-03 10:53 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by Hot Runner Maybe being overly cautious but it just seems there's so much we don't know about this virus. First they said people can't spread if asymptomatic, and now they can.... Now they say that pools are safe, but... I think an indoor pool at this point is a risk. 

Everything I've read (of course as you note, subject to change as we learn) indicates pools themselves are fine:
There is no evidence that the virus that causes COVID-19 can be spread to people through the water in pools, hot tubs, or water playgrounds. Additionally, proper operation of these aquatic venues and disinfection of the water (with chlorine or bromine) should inactivate the virus.

And the rest depends on your gym set up I suppose. For me, when I get out of my car I'm greeted at the open doors by staff in masks who do a no-touch temperature check. I scan my key card (touchless) to check in. I am required to wear a mask until I begin working out. All doors inside the facility are open (so no touching any surface whatsoever) and locker rooms are closed. Water fountains are shut off. You walk directly to the pool area (again, open doors, no surfaces, handles or door knobs to be touched), put your stuff on the ground and swim all the laps. The only surface you would potentially touch is the single-stall restroom door, but hopefully you are washing your hands and using a paper towel to turn the door knob as you exit. 

I know not everyone's indoor pool set up is like this, but in my mind a situation like this is an extremely low risk.

That sounds like about as safe a situation as you can get, Lisa.  I'd feel comfortable with that.

Speaking of swimming, I'm not sure where/how I'll swim once we're allowed to.  My YMCA is in dire, dire straights and may not re-open.  I think the other YMCAs in the area are in trouble, too, and are a much farther drive. 

My only other options would be get my friends to let me into F&M when they can (read: sporadically) or re-join the masters group there which really isn't my fave choice.  They guy who runs it now caters to his tri-gang (I mean 'tribe' ~sarcasm~) and doesn't offer much if any individual attention, not to mention the lanes are so full there's typically 5-6 people in a lane, the least being 4 occasionally.  F&M is such a great facility and has the coolest water around which I love, plus it isn't super-chlorinated like the Y and I don't sneeze and blow my nose the rest of the day after swimming there. 

Final resort would be get a pool membership at the Rec center which isn't the greatest choice, either, because the water and pool room is ridiculously hot plus since I'm not a resident of the district I'd have to pay a lot more.  

2020-07-03 10:53 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

Pictures of cats in sinks made my Friday! 

2020-07-03 6:47 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sigh--I don't know what I will do for swimming when the weather gets colder and if/when normal work resumes and I have to squeeze already limited access into very limited hours. (School's a whole other can of worms. I think our district, and a whole lot of others, were really basing their planning on things being considerably "better" by fall, and more and more it's looking like, at least in our neck of the woods, it might be a whole lot worse. It's really a dilemma--all but the most medically vulnerable kids would probably be better off back in school. But that's a real problem for many of the teachers and other school staff, as well as family members in high-risk groups. And so many of the recommended precautions just aren't realistic financially, logistically, or developmentally. What a mess!)

Does anyone here have any experience with tethered swimming and/or endless pools? I might have access to the former at someone's house; the same person also has an endless pool motor (or whatever the current thingie is) from a previous pool that they could possibly loan or sell me. Do the pool and "treadmill" component need to be bought/installed as a unit, or can you install the "treadmill" separately into a small spa-type pool? Just thinking about it..... I really, really need my pool time.It's not so much a matter of keeping in swim shape or elbow rehab, but just keeping my 50+ body in gear--legs, back, etc. really were feeling it when I couldn't swim!
2020-07-03 7:24 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Marysia,

Yay for the move! My husband grew up in Dam East which is right where it sounds....east of the dam at Cherry Creek Reservoir.

Enjoy!
2020-07-06 8:44 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Getting caught up and trying to be more social now.
I enjoy seeing pictures of kitties in sinks (or boxes) and welcome more at any time.
Sounds like finding a swim venue is tricky for a lot of people. I feel lucky to be walking distance from a neighborhood outdoor pool. So far I've only been once and it was fine. Weather permitting Jen and I will check it out again this afternoon. Basically you enter through the back gate, wear a mask until you get in the water, do the swimmy swimmy, then mask up and leave. You touch nothing except the walls.
2020-07-06 8:49 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia Getting caught up and trying to be more social now. I enjoy seeing pictures of kitties in sinks (or boxes) and welcome more at any time. Sounds like finding a swim venue is tricky for a lot of people. I feel lucky to be walking distance from a neighborhood outdoor pool. So far I've only been once and it was fine. Weather permitting Jen and I will check it out again this afternoon. Basically you enter through the back gate, wear a mask until you get in the water, do the swimmy swimmy, then mask up and leave. You touch nothing except the walls.

That sounds like a great setup!

2020-07-06 9:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I'm not ready to go out an by a Whoop or an Oura but this is interesting.

PGA Tour procures 1,000 smart bands to help detect coronavirus symptoms in golfers

Nancy may have some insider info for us.

I've read something similar about Fitbit, etc. -- Wearable tech can spot coronavirus symptoms before you even realize you’re sick

I know that my watch keeps track of respiration and PulseOx so I look at those most days.  I kind of figure if the trend is bad, it's worth knowing about. So far, stable.  Waking respiration steady at 11 brpm, pulseox normal. 

I honestly don't have the scoop. The player who tested positive where's a Whoop band, and he said that although he felt fine, there was something in his data that revealed that he may be sick.

That said, the PGA Tour went out and bought Whoop bands for every player and caddie to where. My husband was supposed to get his last Monday. He hasn't mentioned it, so I'm not sure. That said, he's on the Korn Ferry Tour (the developmental tour below the main PGA Tour), and they don't get the same 'perks' as the main tour.

They do get tested every Monday when they show up at a new tournament (and aren't allowed 'on property' until they get their test results). Turnaround time for their testing is generally within 2-6 hours, and if they fly on the flight chartered by the PGA Tour, they also have to get tested Saturday afternoon prior to getting on the flight Monday morning. They are required to get temperature checked daily when they arrive, have to stay in the host hotel (unless you're in your own RV or your own local home), cannot go out to eat (can only get take-out or use room service), and if they're found violating the policies, they get suspended for a set period of time.

Edited by glfprncs 2020-07-06 10:24 AM

2020-07-06 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Some of you may remember that my brother is deployed in Kuwait. One of his roommates tested positive for covid and Dan was put in quarantine.  In an air conditioned tent in 120 degree desert.  One of the quarantined people tested positive, and they kept everyone in the same tents.  Now Dan has tested positive.  What with the army quarantining positive and negative people together, I'm somehow not trusting the army to take good are of him. :-(

2020-07-06 9:58 AM

User image

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by Hot Runner Maybe being overly cautious but it just seems there's so much we don't know about this virus. First they said people can't spread if asymptomatic, and now they can.... Now they say that pools are safe, but... I think an indoor pool at this point is a risk. 

Everything I've read (of course as you note, subject to change as we learn) indicates pools themselves are fine:
There is no evidence that the virus that causes COVID-19 can be spread to people through the water in pools, hot tubs, or water playgrounds. Additionally, proper operation of these aquatic venues and disinfection of the water (with chlorine or bromine) should inactivate the virus.

And the rest depends on your gym set up I suppose. For me, when I get out of my car I'm greeted at the open doors by staff in masks who do a no-touch temperature check. I scan my key card (touchless) to check in. I am required to wear a mask until I begin working out. All doors inside the facility are open (so no touching any surface whatsoever) and locker rooms are closed. Water fountains are shut off. You walk directly to the pool area (again, open doors, no surfaces, handles or door knobs to be touched), put your stuff on the ground and swim all the laps. The only surface you would potentially touch is the single-stall restroom door, but hopefully you are washing your hands and using a paper towel to turn the door knob as you exit. 

I know not everyone's indoor pool set up is like this, but in my mind a situation like this is an extremely low risk.

That sounds like about as safe a situation as you can get, Lisa.  I'd feel comfortable with that.

Speaking of swimming, I'm not sure where/how I'll swim once we're allowed to.  My YMCA is in dire, dire straights and may not re-open.  I think the other YMCAs in the area are in trouble, too, and are a much farther drive. 

My only other options would be get my friends to let me into F&M when they can (read: sporadically) or re-join the masters group there which really isn't my fave choice.  They guy who runs it now caters to his tri-gang (I mean 'tribe' ~sarcasm~) and doesn't offer much if any individual attention, not to mention the lanes are so full there's typically 5-6 people in a lane, the least being 4 occasionally.  F&M is such a great facility and has the coolest water around which I love, plus it isn't super-chlorinated like the Y and I don't sneeze and blow my nose the rest of the day after swimming there. 

Final resort would be get a pool membership at the Rec center which isn't the greatest choice, either, because the water and pool room is ridiculously hot plus since I'm not a resident of the district I'd have to pay a lot more.  

I've been swimming at the indoor pool of my local YMCA for the past 4 weeks. The proceure goes:

*Arrive and walk, already in swimsuit, to the front doors where patrons are social distancing to wait.
*Step up to the check-in where you get a thermal temperature scan. The person manning the scanner is behind a plexiglass 'sneeze' guard.'
*Walk to pool check in area, wearing mask. Check in. If you time it right, you immediately get released to your assigned lane.
*Dump things at end of lane, take mask off, goggles on, and swim.
*You have exactly ONE HOUR (of a 90 minute time slot) to swim. An hour after the time slot has begun, if you're still swimming, the guards blow their whistles and you get out.
*You gather your things, throw a towel around your waist, put your mask on a leave.
*The guard staff then dump some mysterious white powder into the water, and spray something from a spray bottle at the end of each lane where a person was. 30 minutes later, the next group of swimmers arrive.

I haven't been bumped out of my typical swim slots yet, but that's typically because I swim in the 9 or 10:30 a.m. slots, and many people are working. We'll see whata occurs once I go back to work.

I've been doing an OWS here and there at the dam, but they've found some fish downstream dead with burns to their bodies. They've been investigating what could be causing it, but have yet to come to any conclusions. I've decided to stay out for now.

I saw that someone suggested that Marysia shower if she swims at Cherry Creek Reservoir because of the goose poop. FUN STORY!! A few years ago, I was swimming at a local 'lake' called Langley Pond, and developed these painful lumps on my back. When the 2nd arrived, my doctor lanced it and sent off the contents to the lab. The result was infection from "fecal coliform bacteria.' The likely culprit was the amount of goose poop in the water.
2020-07-06 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Some of you may remember that my brother is deployed in Kuwait. One of his roommates tested positive for covid and Dan was put in quarantine.  In an air conditioned tent in 120 degree desert.  One of the quarantined people tested positive, and they kept everyone in the same tents.  Now Dan has tested positive.  What with the army quarantining positive and negative people together, I'm somehow not trusting the army to take good are of him. :-(

Well, that stinks! You'd think they would have a better procedure, especially after the debacle with the Navy ship where they pretty much let everyone get exposed and fired the Captain who complained. I hope your brother has a mild case and recovers quickly -his roommates and the others too!

2020-07-06 10:12 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Well, that stinks! You'd think they would have a better procedure, especially after the debacle with the Navy ship where they pretty much let everyone get exposed and fired the Captain who complained. I hope your brother has a mild case and recovers quickly -his roommates and the others too!

Thanks.

2020-07-06 10:12 AM

User image

I guess I'm on a roll this morning!! Probably because I have to clean the house and anything to procrastinate that process, right??

Two things:

1. I am wanting to go tubeless on the my gravel bike. My wheelset (a WTB i19) is tubeless ready, so I just need to get: rim tape, valve stems, sealant, and new tires. I have a friend that is going to help me get the new tires on, but I need to buy the supplies. I have a few questions, though.
Regarding rim tape...how do you know which width to get?
Tires. Good grief so many options. I'm running 700x38 clinchers with tubes, but need to find a nice tire that fits the variety of riding surfaces I'm on, which include about 50% bumpy asphalt, 20% sandy roads, 15% dirt/gravel roads, 5% potentially muddy trails, and 5% roads with big, chunky, loose gravel. I 'think' the 700x38 or 700x40 tubeless would be the right size with the amount of pavement I'm also riding. However, any suggestions on tread? Tire suggestions? People have thrown out GravelKing and WTB Riddlers, but I honestly have no idea what would work best. I'm open for suggestions.
Anything else I need to know? Suggestions? Tips? Tricks?

2. While I've still got 2 triathlons on the schedule for Sept and October (postponed from March and April), and am training for those (olympic and spring distance), I am now contemplating a gravel race that I found in October that is a mere hour from home. They have 3 distances, but for my first, I'm going to pick the super beginner 27-mile division. How do gravel races work? Are the courses marked? Are you expected to know it beforehand? Do you just download it to your bike computer and follow the turn by turn directions? Give me all your gravel race wisdom. What do I need to know so that I don't look like the complete and total newbie the morning of the ride.

2020-07-06 10:14 AM

User image

Ugh! What an awful situation. The U.S. military has dropped the ball on this one for sure.
2020-07-06 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs I guess I'm on a roll this morning!! Probably because I have to clean the house and anything to procrastinate that process, right?? Two things: 1. I am wanting to go tubeless on the my gravel bike. My wheelset (a WTB i19) is tubeless ready, so I just need to get: rim tape, valve stems, sealant, and new tires. I have a friend that is going to help me get the new tires on, but I need to buy the supplies. I have a few questions, though. Regarding rim tape...how do you know which width to get? Tires. Good grief so many options. I'm running 700x38 clinchers with tubes, but need to find a nice tire that fits the variety of riding surfaces I'm on, which include about 50% bumpy asphalt, 20% sandy roads, 15% dirt/gravel roads, 5% potentially muddy trails, and 5% roads with big, chunky, loose gravel. I 'think' the 700x38 or 700x40 tubeless would be the right size with the amount of pavement I'm also riding. However, any suggestions on tread? Tire suggestions? People have thrown out GravelKing and WTB Riddlers, but I honestly have no idea what would work best. I'm open for suggestions. Anything else I need to know? Suggestions? Tips? Tricks? 2. While I've still got 2 triathlons on the schedule for Sept and October (postponed from March and April), and am training for those (olympic and spring distance), I am now contemplating a gravel race that I found in October that is a mere hour from home. They have 3 distances, but for my first, I'm going to pick the super beginner 27-mile division. How do gravel races work? Are the courses marked? Are you expected to know it beforehand? Do you just download it to your bike computer and follow the turn by turn directions? Give me all your gravel race wisdom. What do I need to know so that I don't look like the complete and total newbie the morning of the ride.

My wheelset is tubeless-ready too and i've been thinking about converting, but thinking about it is as far as i've gotten, so i'm interested to see answers to your questions and to hear how your conversion goes.

2020-07-06 10:38 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Oh no! I hope all goes well and they will receive a proper treatment... despite the fiasco with quarantine...
2020-07-06 10:57 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Oh geez.  Wishing the best for your brother and a quick recovery.

2020-07-06 11:40 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

So sorry about your brother, it does not sound as if they have figured out how to deal with Covid at all.

2020-07-06 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by glfprncs

Originally posted by melbo55

I've been swimming at the indoor pool of my local YMCA for the past 4 weeks. The proceure goes:

*Arrive and walk, already in swimsuit, to the front doors where patrons are social distancing to wait.
*Step up to the check-in where you get a thermal temperature scan. The person manning the scanner is behind a plexiglass 'sneeze' guard.'
*Walk to pool check in area, wearing mask. Check in. If you time it right, you immediately get released to your assigned lane.
*Dump things at end of lane, take mask off, goggles on, and swim.
*You have exactly ONE HOUR (of a 90 minute time slot) to swim. An hour after the time slot has begun, if you're still swimming, the guards blow their whistles and you get out.
*You gather your things, throw a towel around your waist, put your mask on a leave.
*The guard staff then dump some mysterious white powder into the water, and spray something from a spray bottle at the end of each lane where a person was. 30 minutes later, the next group of swimmers arrive.

I haven't been bumped out of my typical swim slots yet, but that's typically because I swim in the 9 or 10:30 a.m. slots, and many people are working. We'll see whata occurs once I go back to work.

I've been doing an OWS here and there at the dam, but they've found some fish downstream dead with burns to their bodies. They've been investigating what could be causing it, but have yet to come to any conclusions. I've decided to stay out for now.

I saw that someone suggested that Marysia shower if she swims at Cherry Creek Reservoir because of the goose poop. FUN STORY!! A few years ago, I was swimming at a local 'lake' called Langley Pond, and developed these painful lumps on my back. When the 2nd arrived, my doctor lanced it and sent off the contents to the lab. The result was infection from "fecal coliform bacteria.' The likely culprit was the amount of goose poop in the water.

Thank you for posting the procedure at the Y -- I actually scored a slot tomorrow morning and didn't really know what to expect. I think the instructions are out there somewhere but our Y's web and Facebook pages are pretty messy and there's a lot of info to sort through. I'm sure we'll have a similar process.
That's terrifying about the painful lumps...
2020-07-06 11:48 AM

User image

Master

Oh no!  Really sorry to hear this Janyne.  Sending good thoughts.

2020-07-06 11:50 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by glfprncs I guess I'm on a roll this morning!! Probably because I have to clean the house and anything to procrastinate that process, right?? Two things: 1. I am wanting to go tubeless on the my gravel bike. My wheelset (a WTB i19) is tubeless ready, so I just need to get: rim tape, valve stems, sealant, and new tires. I have a friend that is going to help me get the new tires on, but I need to buy the supplies. I have a few questions, though. Regarding rim tape...how do you know which width to get? Tires. Good grief so many options. I'm running 700x38 clinchers with tubes, but need to find a nice tire that fits the variety of riding surfaces I'm on, which include about 50% bumpy asphalt, 20% sandy roads, 15% dirt/gravel roads, 5% potentially muddy trails, and 5% roads with big, chunky, loose gravel. I 'think' the 700x38 or 700x40 tubeless would be the right size with the amount of pavement I'm also riding. However, any suggestions on tread? Tire suggestions? People have thrown out GravelKing and WTB Riddlers, but I honestly have no idea what would work best. I'm open for suggestions. Anything else I need to know? Suggestions? Tips? Tricks? 2. While I've still got 2 triathlons on the schedule for Sept and October (postponed from March and April), and am training for those (olympic and spring distance), I am now contemplating a gravel race that I found in October that is a mere hour from home. They have 3 distances, but for my first, I'm going to pick the super beginner 27-mile division. How do gravel races work? Are the courses marked? Are you expected to know it beforehand? Do you just download it to your bike computer and follow the turn by turn directions? Give me all your gravel race wisdom. What do I need to know so that I don't look like the complete and total newbie the morning of the ride.

My wheelset is tubeless-ready too and i've been thinking about converting, but thinking about it is as far as i've gotten, so i'm interested to see answers to your questions and to hear how your conversion goes.

Tubeless -- This is one area where I default to our LBS. I spent a lunch hour with our shop owner just so that I could understand the process, and came away with the conclusion that it's easier to just pay those guys to set it all up. Getting the tire to "seat" properly is best accomplished with an air compressor, which is something we don't have. That said, once it's set up, it's not a big deal to top off the sealant every 3 months or so through the stem.
2020-07-06 1:24 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo Welcome to Colorado! I'm north of Denver. What reservoir are you near?
Remind me, you are Longmont or Fort Collins...? I was originally planning to move to Longmont. I have friends there. I am by Cherry Creek Reservoir. But if you have something closer to you, and would like to swim together, let me know and I can drive
I'm in Thornton, which on a good day in Denver traffic is about 60 minutes away from you. I usually swim in Boulder Rez but it's still closed. Is Cherry Creek open for swimming? If you do swim in CC, make sure you shower ASAP when you're done. The goose poop has bacteria that can give you "swimmers itch." Every race I've done there they make you run through a sprinkler/shower station before you get on the bike. Longmont has a nice lake called Union Reservoir that has OWS times. Unfortunately they are closed as well.

I don't know a lot about your local geography but didn't I hear that there is some OWS going on in Chatfield?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127