BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-07-06 2:07 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by fortissimo Welcome to Colorado! I'm north of Denver. What reservoir are you near?
Remind me, you are Longmont or Fort Collins...? I was originally planning to move to Longmont. I have friends there. I am by Cherry Creek Reservoir. But if you have something closer to you, and would like to swim together, let me know and I can drive
I'm in Thornton, which on a good day in Denver traffic is about 60 minutes away from you. I usually swim in Boulder Rez but it's still closed. Is Cherry Creek open for swimming? If you do swim in CC, make sure you shower ASAP when you're done. The goose poop has bacteria that can give you "swimmers itch." Every race I've done there they make you run through a sprinkler/shower station before you get on the bike. Longmont has a nice lake called Union Reservoir that has OWS times. Unfortunately they are closed as well.

I don't know a lot about your local geography but didn't I hear that there is some OWS going on in Chatfield?

Yes! Thanks for a reminder. A new friend just told me about it yesterday. She said she went there with her daughters for some kids' fun, and it didn't even occur to me it would be a good place for OWS.

I hope there are no goose poops?

I don't know, where exactly you are located, but it looks like it's 36 mins drive from Thornton.

2020-07-06 3:36 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Louisville just cancelled and there will be no 2021 race, either. The options for deferal were to 2020 IM Maryland, 2020 IM Chattanooga, 2020 IM Texas or to 2021 IM Chattanooga. I'm thinking none of the 2020 races are going to happen, so why even have people defer to those?
2020-07-06 3:37 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by glfprncs Louisville just cancelled and there will be no 2021 race, either. The options for deferal were to 2020 IM Maryland, 2020 IM Chattanooga, 2020 IM Texas or to 2021 IM Chattanooga. I'm thinking none of the 2020 races are going to happen, so why even have people defer to those?

x2 on the 2020 dates ... 

2020-07-06 3:43 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs Louisville just cancelled and there will be no 2021 race, either. The options for deferal were to 2020 IM Maryland, 2020 IM Chattanooga, 2020 IM Texas or to 2021 IM Chattanooga. I'm thinking none of the 2020 races are going to happen, so why even have people defer to those?

I was just coming here to break the news about Louisville ! I understand that this year was the 1- year extension with the city and apparently they didn't want it back.  I can't imagine any 2020 race happening either, so Choo 2021 may be very crowded while at the same time socially distanced   I see that Chattanooga has a mandatory mask order effective in a few days and running into September, so I imagine all of this year's full racers hope it crushes the curve and they will get to race. The 70.3 people look to be out of luck. 

2020-07-06 3:46 PM

User image

Master

I think when races were first getting cancelled earlier in the year, there was a lot of optimism for fall races. At this point, it is just irresponsible for IM to even consider having races this year. Lubbock should have been a wake up call--if I had've been one of the people that had already traveled to that race to have it cancelled in the 11th hour, I would be so angry.  Ironman should accept the inevitable and be proactive in canceling all 2020 races. 

/rant. 

2020-07-06 3:48 PM
in reply to: jbwills

Originally posted by jbwills

Hello Manatees,

I wanted to say hi and was happy to see the group was still going. I figured, "Once a Manatee, always a Manatee", if that's ok. I was a Manatee back in 2013-2015. I hope everyone is doing great and getting in all the training they can. I am hoping to pop in more as I am getting back to working out and looking at maybe some triathlons later this year. Currently working on training for a 100 mile gravel ride in October.

Cheers,

Jonathan
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1021659

Yup, the whole Once A Manatee thing still applies!  You have to share Alaska with another Manatee now though!

We do gravel talk, now you need to share! We want details!

I am actually back in SE Tennessee now, no longer enjoying the Arctic North, but I want to go back.

My race in October. It is the 100 miler loop of the Michigan Coast to Coast (https://micoasttocoast.com/). It has a 212 mile trip across the state of Michigan. My friend in Michigan who i will be doing the 100 miler with is also looking at a couple longer rides next summer. We want to do 1 race/ride in MI and 1 in TN each year. Keep active as we grow old, and still maintain a friendship from High School.

I am doing about 80-100 miles a week between road and trail. On road I am using a 2001 Gary Fisher Tassaja mountain bike, and trail a 2020 Trek XCaliber 8. I am slowly stepping up miles and getting some great time in. On a couple longer rides I have averaged 12-14 mph on the bikes. I am going to try and pull in my Strava data to BT Training Log, but not sure how easy that will be. I want to get a gravel bike before next summer to make it easier for the longer rides. This weekend I am planning a 60-70 miles ride on Sunday to get some miles in and work some distance issues.

Once this COVID stuff slows I will also be doing rides occasionally in Kentucky as I go to Ft Knox for Reserve Drill once a month.

I am way behind in keeping up with this thread, but thought I'd at least chime in here since there was a former Alaskan popping in. I joined the group this year and it has been really great for support and chats as I get going into the world of tri. That's too bad you had to leave Alaska. I was at Ft Knox years ago and can definitely say I like AK a bit better.

As for my tri update, everything here is pretty much cancelled for the year. I haven't been able to get on the swim calendar yet but will keep trying. I have been using my new Asics the last couple of weeks but still have not settled on the size. I have 9.5 and 10. I actually did one on each foot for a bit and think I am pretty well settled on the 10, but will give it one more run to verify.

Glad to see everyone is hanging in there.

2020-07-06 3:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by IronOx

I think when races were first getting cancelled earlier in the year, there was a lot of optimism for fall races. At this point, it is just irresponsible for IM to even consider having races this year. Lubbock should have been a wake up call--if I had've been one of the people that had already traveled to that race to have it cancelled in the 11th hour, I would be so angry.  Ironman should accept the inevitable and be proactive in canceling all 2020 races. 

/rant. 

Agreed. I think IM just needs to make the decision NOT to hold anything until 2021. Conserve resources and focus on managing races for 2021 vs. spending money on resources planning races that inevitably will be cancelled.

I was looking at Louisville again in 2021 as it checked almost every box I need for a successful IM bid. Will be looking at some alternate options, but wary as well since we have no idea what Covid 19 is going to look like 6 months from now. Plus, I'm a teacher. I'm pretty certain I'll be getting sick sometime between August 3rd and Christmas since our district is doing pretty much nothing to protect anyone in the buildings (except say they'll do a lot of things that will never get done).

Edited by glfprncs 2020-07-06 4:03 PM
2020-07-06 4:32 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Same situation here with the schools. I know from talking with our principal and custodian that they don't take this that seriously. So have pretty much zero confidence that they are going to do any more than lip service to any precautions they are asked to take. And I don't think most of the effective precautions are going to be doable anyway from a financial or logistical standpoint. Really wondering if it wouldn't make more sense to retire/resign now than risk it..... That would mean no employer-provided health insurance but not sure how much good it would be anyway if I got seriously ill, or worse, from exposure at work.

In the same boat with IM. Calgary 70.3 was cancelled and deferral to a 2021 race was not an option. They did not reply to my inquiry about why not. I "chose" to switch to Washington 70.3 on Sept. 20, but no way is that going ahead, short of a miracle. Even if it did I would not do the event. I think it's irresponsible of them to advertise, organize or collect $ for any 2020 events, unless maybe some countries are pretty much virus-free and want to just hold the event for their own residents, without Worlds qualifying slots. I could see that working for places like New Zealand, Tawian, or Vietnam.

I'm not signing up or paying for any 2021 events either at this point until/unless we are at/close to zero cases or have an effective, available vaccine. Despite what government mouthpieces may be saying, I think that's very far from being a given in this country.
2020-07-06 6:12 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by IronOx

Some of you may remember that my brother is deployed in Kuwait. One of his roommates tested positive for covid and Dan was put in quarantine.  In an air conditioned tent in 120 degree desert.  One of the quarantined people tested positive, and they kept everyone in the same tents.  Now Dan has tested positive.  What with the army quarantining positive and negative people together, I'm somehow not trusting the army to take good are of him. :-(

Oh no!  Really sorry to hear this Janyne.  Sending good thoughts.

x2. That really shows you how much intelligence is lacking in certain areas. Ugh.

2020-07-06 6:51 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by glfprncs I guess I'm on a roll this morning!! Probably because I have to clean the house and anything to procrastinate that process, right?? Two things: 1. I am wanting to go tubeless on the my gravel bike. My wheelset (a WTB i19) is tubeless ready, so I just need to get: rim tape, valve stems, sealant, and new tires. I have a friend that is going to help me get the new tires on, but I need to buy the supplies. I have a few questions, though. Regarding rim tape...how do you know which width to get? Tires. Good grief so many options. I'm running 700x38 clinchers with tubes, but need to find a nice tire that fits the variety of riding surfaces I'm on, which include about 50% bumpy asphalt, 20% sandy roads, 15% dirt/gravel roads, 5% potentially muddy trails, and 5% roads with big, chunky, loose gravel. I 'think' the 700x38 or 700x40 tubeless would be the right size with the amount of pavement I'm also riding. However, any suggestions on tread? Tire suggestions? People have thrown out GravelKing and WTB Riddlers, but I honestly have no idea what would work best. I'm open for suggestions. Anything else I need to know? Suggestions? Tips? Tricks? 2. While I've still got 2 triathlons on the schedule for Sept and October (postponed from March and April), and am training for those (olympic and spring distance), I am now contemplating a gravel race that I found in October that is a mere hour from home. They have 3 distances, but for my first, I'm going to pick the super beginner 27-mile division. How do gravel races work? Are the courses marked? Are you expected to know it beforehand? Do you just download it to your bike computer and follow the turn by turn directions? Give me all your gravel race wisdom. What do I need to know so that I don't look like the complete and total newbie the morning of the ride.

My wheelset is tubeless-ready too and i've been thinking about converting, but thinking about it is as far as i've gotten, so i'm interested to see answers to your questions and to hear how your conversion goes.

Tubeless -- This is one area where I default to our LBS. I spent a lunch hour with our shop owner just so that I could understand the process, and came away with the conclusion that it's easier to just pay those guys to set it all up. Getting the tire to "seat" properly is best accomplished with an air compressor, which is something we don't have. That said, once it's set up, it's not a big deal to top off the sealant every 3 months or so through the stem.

I agree with Anne, so much so that my LBS has my bike at the moment, working through the new tire install. My rims are so old that they are Schrader valve compatible. So, while I wanted to go tubeless, it was going to be a hassle to make it work. Glad I dropped it off. 

You won't have that issue, since the bike is new.  Question 1) What I have read is that you measure the inner width of the rim and add 3-5 mm. The tape should lay flat in the middle and sit on both bead shelves(the sides). 1a) Tires - It looks like a 50/50 blend of road/non road for you. So a tire with a fairly "slick" or less knobby center combined with some knobs on the side should work. The idea is that the outside of the tire comes into play when you sink down into the softer or chunkier stuff. Both of the ones mentioned above have a small bit of "tread" in the center and a bit more knobby tread on the outside. Both are good tires for your use, I would guess. 2) My experience with gravel races is that they are "marked" but you are "on your own" to a certain degree. I didn't have a map on my GPS for the one I did a couple years ago, but used a map on my phone. I also relied on the kindness of others to a degree, and gravel event participants are AWESOME in this regard. As a "newbie" I believe that you will be able to tun to others in a time of need without anyone being too harsh or whatever. The serious racers take off at the beginning and the rest of us do our best, have fun, make friends, etc. I was prepared to download maps to my new GPS, but all of my events were cancelled. I did a 50+ mile ride with a friend back in mid March, where I had the map downloaded and that worked great. Now that I have used turn by turn on my GPS, I highly encourage it. 

Ann-Marie - There are some great maps available for download for Lake Apopka on RideWithGPS. I'm hoping to take a midweek day off in October to come up there and do the full loop, friends have and it looked awesome.

My biggest piece of advice on gravel events is have fun, and enjoy the post ride party (a challenge during these wacky times). I think that as much as IM is having trouble, gravel events will take a pretty serious hit this year. The surrounding festival plays a role in the cache of those events. They have nearly all gone to some sort of virtual type of thing, be it #diyGravel or Giddy Up Challenge.  We are working through the post ride party for our little event and I think it is going to change how the whole thing looks. But I digress.

Edited by cdban66 2020-07-06 7:00 PM
2020-07-06 6:51 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Double Whammy

Edited by cdban66 2020-07-06 6:52 PM

2020-07-06 9:08 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
On the plus side, I finally decided to break down and support our local running store today by getting myself an early birthday present. I've been having fairly minor but annoyingly persistent heel pain that I think is related to wearing the same worn-out shoes too long earlier in the pandemic. Got some new Kinvara in May, and they are great for our local trails, but just not enough padding right now for the hilly roads. I've been wearing this ancient, battered pair of what I thought were Hoka Clifton 5's but in fact are 3's (circa 2016 or 2017?) every time I run on pavement and they are literally falling apart. Wanted to actually try the shoes on as Hoka sizing tends to vary a lot from model to model, so I put on mask, sanitized hands, signed register for contact tracing....and went shopping at the running store! At least THEY are taking things seriously! Only four customers allowed at one time. Anyway, total damage was:

*One pair of Hoka Clifton 6
*One discount pair of Saucony Iso something or other that also felt good and fit (this is rare, for me)
*One running belt for phone and keys (previous one was elastic, lost its stretch, and keeps falling over my butt)
*One personal safety alarm with flashing strobe light (Mom insists; anyway, only $15). Also good for emergency disco??
*One pair Lock Laces
*One big squeezy pack of Trail Butter. I had a gu gross-out on my long ride yesterday (when it starts to be nauseating) and realized I really miss this stuff. The run shop in Boise also sold it and I got addicted while training for IM; it was one of my "rotation" foods on the bike in IM Malaysia. It comes in a few different flavors; I have almond butter/coffee/dark chocolate/sea salt. Oh so good!

That should be enough to help keep the shop afloat!

Looked at the Garmin display but holding off for now. I don't actually need or want the GPS for running, and I do have an old cheap Forerunner. Want to use it for lake swimming--I'm doing a challenge that involves a 5K swim and want to verify it. Does anyone know if it's possible to use a run Garmin to map OWS? Or do you need one of the higher-end "triathlon" watches? I think I've heard of people putting the watch in their swim buoy after turning it on. Does that actually work???

2020-07-06 9:59 PM

User image

Expert

Some of you may remember that my brother is deployed in Kuwait. One of his roommates tested positive for covid and Dan was put in quarantine.  In an air conditioned tent in 120 degree desert.  One of the quarantined people tested positive, and they kept everyone in the same tents.  Now Dan has tested positive.  What with the army quarantining positive and negative people together, I'm somehow not trusting the army to take good are of him. :-(

Yikes! I'm sorry to hear this. The military has some great leaders and some bozo's. I thought it was strange at the time, but when I was in boot camp they taught us the Peter principle. The instructor ended the the lecture with, this means that everyone leading you is either incompetent or about to be promoted.
I hope he heals well.
2020-07-06 10:03 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by glfprncs

Louisville just cancelled and there will be no 2021 race, either. The options for deferal were to 2020 IM Maryland, 2020 IM Chattanooga, 2020 IM Texas or to 2021 IM Chattanooga. I'm thinking none of the 2020 races are going to happen, so why even have people defer to those?

I wrote off any 2020 races. Especially now that we appear completely incompetent when it comes to dealing with any serious medical condition which requires our population to cooperate. I'm a little sad they are done in Louisville for good. Honestly one of the best IM finishes there was. I guess that means the club will be racing a new venue.
2020-07-06 10:48 PM

User image

So sorry to hear this! I will send every positive thought his way!
2020-07-06 10:57 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by fortissimo Welcome to Colorado! I'm north of Denver. What reservoir are you near?
Remind me, you are Longmont or Fort Collins...? I was originally planning to move to Longmont. I have friends there. I am by Cherry Creek Reservoir. But if you have something closer to you, and would like to swim together, let me know and I can drive
I'm in Thornton, which on a good day in Denver traffic is about 60 minutes away from you. I usually swim in Boulder Rez but it's still closed. Is Cherry Creek open for swimming? If you do swim in CC, make sure you shower ASAP when you're done. The goose poop has bacteria that can give you "swimmers itch." Every race I've done there they make you run through a sprinkler/shower station before you get on the bike. Longmont has a nice lake called Union Reservoir that has OWS times. Unfortunately they are closed as well.

I don't know a lot about your local geography but didn't I hear that there is some OWS going on in Chatfield?

Yes! Thanks for a reminder. A new friend just told me about it yesterday. She said she went there with her daughters for some kids' fun, and it didn't even occur to me it would be a good place for OWS.

I hope there are no goose poops?

I don't know, where exactly you are located, but it looks like it's 36 mins drive from Thornton.

I'm on the very north edge of Thornton so it's about a 15 drive to get to the south end if I25 isn't backed up. Which rarely happens. When we first moved to this area it took us about 20 minutes to drive the 13 miles to school. The past 10 years that time has increased to 35-40 minutes.

Back to the important things! Chatfield has a really nice swim area. They actually have a lane set up outside the roped-off swim beach. When I first started doing triathlons, I would make my husband go to Chatfield with me so I could swim in my wetsuit and then we would ride around the park for a few hours. Right now they are limiting the number of swimmers on the beach area to 25.

2020-07-07 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I suspect that WTC's has an insurance policy that says that if the city cancels, WTC gets something back and if WTC cancels, they don't. WTC always seems to wait for the permitting body to take the initiative.

The city of Raleigh is looking at pulling permits for all events through October 31st.  I imagine other cities are doing the same.

At this rate, I'm not even sure that large spring 2021 events will be a go. The good news is, I think that the 70.3 Choo-ers will have a good sense of where things stand before starting most serious training block in late February.  I figure, we get to the Tour of Sufferlandria and evaluate the situation. 

2020-07-07 9:38 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri

Hello Manatees,

I wanted to say hi and was happy to see the group was still going. I figured, "Once a Manatee, always a Manatee", if that's ok. I was a Manatee back in 2013-2015. I hope everyone is doing great and getting in all the training they can. I am hoping to pop in more as I am getting back to working out and looking at maybe some triathlons later this year. Currently working on training for a 100 mile gravel ride in October.

Cheers,

Jonathan
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1021659

Yup, the whole Once A Manatee thing still applies!  You have to share Alaska with another Manatee now though!

We do gravel talk, now you need to share! We want details!

I am actually back in SE Tennessee now, no longer enjoying the Arctic North, but I want to go back.

My race in October. It is the 100 miler loop of the Michigan Coast to Coast (https://micoasttocoast.com/). It has a 212 mile trip across the state of Michigan. My friend in Michigan who i will be doing the 100 miler with is also looking at a couple longer rides next summer. We want to do 1 race/ride in MI and 1 in TN each year. Keep active as we grow old, and still maintain a friendship from High School.

I am doing about 80-100 miles a week between road and trail. On road I am using a 2001 Gary Fisher Tassaja mountain bike, and trail a 2020 Trek XCaliber 8. I am slowly stepping up miles and getting some great time in. On a couple longer rides I have averaged 12-14 mph on the bikes. I am going to try and pull in my Strava data to BT Training Log, but not sure how easy that will be. I want to get a gravel bike before next summer to make it easier for the longer rides. This weekend I am planning a 60-70 miles ride on Sunday to get some miles in and work some distance issues.

Once this COVID stuff slows I will also be doing rides occasionally in Kentucky as I go to Ft Knox for Reserve Drill once a month.

I am way behind in keeping up with this thread, but thought I'd at least chime in here since there was a former Alaskan popping in. I joined the group this year and it has been really great for support and chats as I get going into the world of tri. That's too bad you had to leave Alaska. I was at Ft Knox years ago and can definitely say I like AK a bit better. As for my tri update, everything here is pretty much cancelled for the year. I haven't been able to get on the swim calendar yet but will keep trying. I have been using my new Asics the last couple of weeks but still have not settled on the size. I have 9.5 and 10. I actually did one on each foot for a bit and think I am pretty well settled on the 10, but will give it one more run to verify. Glad to see everyone is hanging in there.

Thanks for checking in!

I really feel for the swimmers in the group. That seems to be the toughest of our sports to coordinate right now.

Ha, funny story. Someone posted on Raleigh Reddit -- Treadmill for desperate marathoner??  I read the post because I was curious. We have a perfectly good outside to run in, what's the scoop?  Yeah, the advice was that if you don't like the heat, get up early and run ;-)

2020-07-07 9:49 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner On the plus side, I finally decided to break down and support our local running store today by getting myself an early birthday present. I've been having fairly minor but annoyingly persistent heel pain that I think is related to wearing the same worn-out shoes too long earlier in the pandemic. Got some new Kinvara in May, and they are great for our local trails, but just not enough padding right now for the hilly roads. I've been wearing this ancient, battered pair of what I thought were Hoka Clifton 5's but in fact are 3's (circa 2016 or 2017?) every time I run on pavement and they are literally falling apart. Wanted to actually try the shoes on as Hoka sizing tends to vary a lot from model to model, so I put on mask, sanitized hands, signed register for contact tracing....and went shopping at the running store! At least THEY are taking things seriously! Only four customers allowed at one time. Anyway, total damage was: *One pair of Hoka Clifton 6 *One discount pair of Saucony Iso something or other that also felt good and fit (this is rare, for me) *One running belt for phone and keys (previous one was elastic, lost its stretch, and keeps falling over my butt) *One personal safety alarm with flashing strobe light (Mom insists; anyway, only $15). Also good for emergency disco?? *One pair Lock Laces *One big squeezy pack of Trail Butter. I had a gu gross-out on my long ride yesterday (when it starts to be nauseating) and realized I really miss this stuff. The run shop in Boise also sold it and I got addicted while training for IM; it was one of my "rotation" foods on the bike in IM Malaysia. It comes in a few different flavors; I have almond butter/coffee/dark chocolate/sea salt. Oh so good! That should be enough to help keep the shop afloat! Looked at the Garmin display but holding off for now. I don't actually need or want the GPS for running, and I do have an old cheap Forerunner. Want to use it for lake swimming--I'm doing a challenge that involves a 5K swim and want to verify it. Does anyone know if it's possible to use a run Garmin to map OWS? Or do you need one of the higher-end "triathlon" watches? I think I've heard of people putting the watch in their swim buoy after turning it on. Does that actually work???

Wow, you certainly made the most of your time in the store! Great haul! I've never tried it, but i understand some people have put their Garmin under their swim cap to record an OWS, I assume if it works that way it would work on the buoy. 

2020-07-07 9:51 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by JBacarella
I wrote off any 2020 races. Especially now that we appear completely incompetent when it comes to dealing with any serious medical condition which requires our population to cooperate. I'm a little sad they are done in Louisville for good. Honestly one of the best IM finishes there was. I guess that means the club will be racing a new venue.

I've 99% written off racing this year, except for the registration money I still have tied up. I enjoy long training sessions UP TO A POINT, and my training plan for IM Wisconsin is getting to that point. I suppose I'll just keep plugging away at it, but realistically I know it's just for fun and I won't actually be racing. 

I'm also sad about Louisville. I have lots of memories there... my 2nd IM and fastest IM finish... and the bike crash a few years later that sidelined me for a year. I never had plans to re-visit the course for redemption or anything, but that finish line was pretty dang cool. I hope there will be some sort of replacement in the area.

2020-07-07 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I suspect that WTC's has an insurance policy that says that if the city cancels, WTC gets something back and if WTC cancels, they don't. WTC always seems to wait for the permitting body to take the initiative.

The city of Raleigh is looking at pulling permits for all events through October 31st.  I imagine other cities are doing the same.

At this rate, I'm not even sure that large spring 2021 events will be a go. The good news is, I think that the 70.3 Choo-ers will have a good sense of where things stand before starting most serious training block in late February.  I figure, we get to the Tour of Sufferlandria and evaluate the situation. 

The idea of doing the Tour right now scares me, good thing its 7ish months away! On the other hand, i can't wait for 2020 to be done with and 2021 to hopefully providing some semblance of normalcy!!

2020-07-07 9:55 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Hot Runner On the plus side, I finally decided to break down and support our local running store today by getting myself an early birthday present. I've been having fairly minor but annoyingly persistent heel pain that I think is related to wearing the same worn-out shoes too long earlier in the pandemic. Got some new Kinvara in May, and they are great for our local trails, but just not enough padding right now for the hilly roads. I've been wearing this ancient, battered pair of what I thought were Hoka Clifton 5's but in fact are 3's (circa 2016 or 2017?) every time I run on pavement and they are literally falling apart. Wanted to actually try the shoes on as Hoka sizing tends to vary a lot from model to model, so I put on mask, sanitized hands, signed register for contact tracing....and went shopping at the running store! At least THEY are taking things seriously! Only four customers allowed at one time. Anyway, total damage was: *One pair of Hoka Clifton 6 *One discount pair of Saucony Iso something or other that also felt good and fit (this is rare, for me) *One running belt for phone and keys (previous one was elastic, lost its stretch, and keeps falling over my butt) *One personal safety alarm with flashing strobe light (Mom insists; anyway, only $15). Also good for emergency disco?? *One pair Lock Laces *One big squeezy pack of Trail Butter. I had a gu gross-out on my long ride yesterday (when it starts to be nauseating) and realized I really miss this stuff. The run shop in Boise also sold it and I got addicted while training for IM; it was one of my "rotation" foods on the bike in IM Malaysia. It comes in a few different flavors; I have almond butter/coffee/dark chocolate/sea salt. Oh so good! That should be enough to help keep the shop afloat! Looked at the Garmin display but holding off for now. I don't actually need or want the GPS for running, and I do have an old cheap Forerunner. Want to use it for lake swimming--I'm doing a challenge that involves a 5K swim and want to verify it. Does anyone know if it's possible to use a run Garmin to map OWS? Or do you need one of the higher-end "triathlon" watches? I think I've heard of people putting the watch in their swim buoy after turning it on. Does that actually work???

Wow, you certainly made the most of your time in the store! Great haul! I've never tried it, but i understand some people have put their Garmin under their swim cap to record an OWS, I assume if it works that way it would work on the buoy. 

I thought the same thing!

2020-07-07 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

That's....not how quarantining should work...
So sorry, Janyne. Wishing your brother and his fellow soldiers uncomplicated cases and speedy recoveries.
2020-07-07 3:33 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Ouch...this was supposed to be one of the safest bets for IM races this year.  Has Muncie been canceled yet?  That one is just a few weeks out but I was thinking that one had better chances of being canceled than Louisville. 

2020-07-07 4:02 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Hot Runner On the plus side, I finally decided to break down and support our local running store today by getting myself an early birthday present.

.., total damage was:

*One pair of Hoka Clifton 6

*One discount pair of Saucony Iso something or other that also felt good and fit (this is rare, for me)....

I have a pair of the Asic GlideRide  shoes (some new model that they introduced last October).  I checked the equipment log on them this morning and they are at 486 miles which means they actually are probably over 500 miles.  They are holding up great and I haven't been haveing any problem with work out cushioning yet but it is time to start looking into some new training shoes for me too.  I was considering getting a pair of OnRunning Cloudflow.  I have never tried on a pair of OnRunning shoes, but I get a huge discount through my ambassador team so their price would be hard to beat.  Does anyone run in Cloudflows? 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127