BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-07-08 8:00 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

For those of you who ride with hydration packs, what brand/model do you use?  Camelbak? Orange Mud? USWE?

I have some off brand vest that is actually advertised for runners. I like the pockets up front(Gels, trash, leys, etc), but I too have had to get a new bladder. Platypus brand bladder, which I use both in the vest and in a hiking backack that gets used on occasions. Generally, I wear this vest on the MTB. I have an Orange Mud Hydraquiver single, which is a vest that carries a water bottle in the back of it. It is awesome for running, but the bottle is up high and hits the back of my helmet on the bike. I also have a cheap hip bag that has side pockets for bottles on it.  This is the solution for me for gravel, until I get a bike with the ability to carry three or more bottles. I carry a phone, bandana, small first aid kit, keys, and nutrition in it. It has a ton of room for more stuff, if needed. When it dies, I will seek out a quality one that should last long enough to get me to another bike. The draw back is that it is a challenge to get the bottles in and out. So, I keep one bottle on the frame, and change it out as I go.

2020-07-08 8:04 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by amd723

Another race  canceled - Dirty Kanza.  I didn't know about the drama with one of its organizers and the rebranding that it is undergoing.

And the Harvest Half is gone as well...

Attention Fire Mountain Inferno XC & Enduro Weekend, Cherokee Harvest Half Marathon, and Cherokee Harvest 5K racers! The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians has made the decision to cancel or postpone all events scheduled on the Qualla Boundary for the remainder of 2020. This includes the Fire Mountain Inferno XC & Enduro Weekend, the Cherokee Harvest Half Marathon and the Cherokee Harvest 5K which were all scheduled for September 12, 2020.

Can't say i'm surprised, but i am sad! Hopefully, conditions will be such that our group can still go to Bryson City and do our created really hard half marathon route! 

I think we all need to acknowledge that virtual races may be the only racing we do for the forseeable future. I have to go read this and see what other people think.

2020-07-09 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

For those of you who ride with hydration packs, what brand/model do you use?  Camelbak? Orange Mud? USWE?

I have an Osprey....I think the Salida. Comfy, cleans up pretty easy, does the job.
2020-07-09 9:45 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I just realized I have 3. 

First is a regular smallish backpack-style EMS that has a large bladder and pockets for storing other stuff.  This I wear when MTB since that bike only holds one bottle.  Does the job of holding snacks, first aid (both for humans and bikes), maybe an extra shirt or misc can be stuffed in with the bladder.  I also use this [day] hiking.

Second is the Salomon Sense Ultra vest.  2 small bottles up front, I've carried a larger bottle in the pocket in the back.  Lightweight, has pockets for phone, gels, salt, etc.  I've worn this in most of my HIM races.

Third I just bought last year, Orange Mud Gear Vest.  2 bottles up front (slightly more volume than the Salomon bottles), one large bladder in the back.  Large pocket in the back, smaller pockets on the shoulders and front.  I like the pocket design on these less than the Salomon, but like the amount of liquid I can carry more.

I really dislike running holding a bottle.  I can/will but prefer not to, hence the vests.  I also have the old hydration belt but that sometimes feels like it is in my way, too.  Plus I cannot wear that trail running, the bottles fall out.

2020-07-09 1:44 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
ok so I've missed a lot.

I've pretty much lost my mojo and don't even care that all the races were cancelled because I don't feel like going anywhere anyway. It's not to say I'm depressed or sitting around doing nothing but I've decided to take 2 months off (coach is on pause) and I'm just doing fun stuff. I've been battling back issues since March and I had an MRI last week. I have a herniated disc that's hitting a nerve - but it's MUCH better than it was at its worst. So we're continuing with PT and see where it goes. Running and sitting at my desk are the only things that really aggravate it.

That of course brings me to CDA. It is now on the IM website (not open for reg yet) but I have my doubts as to if it's really going to happen. And I think reg will sell out so do I risk the $1400 reg fee? (me and DH). THAT is the question! I heard that this year the people registered for St George were given CDA as a deferral option. I have ZERO desire to do SG - and did they ever announce the third race in that rotation?

hydration packs - for hiking/running I mostly use my orange mud and I also have a nathan (bladders). For MTB I use my camelbak.

BTW, I'm enjoying doing a lot of HIKING and mountain biking this year. I figure the uneven ground on hikes is probably good for my back and stabilizing muscles.

Thanks J for checking on me

OH LASTLY - BIG STORY - we have a LOT of bears near me. My former Gym trainer and his dog were both BIT while hiking!! Unprovoked attack. EEK! They closed off that trail. Hopefully the bear knows she's supposed to stay on that trail.

2020-07-09 1:47 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by glfprncs Louisville just cancelled and there will be no 2021 race, either. The options for deferal were to 2020 IM Maryland, 2020 IM Chattanooga, 2020 IM Texas or to 2021 IM Chattanooga. I'm thinking none of the 2020 races are going to happen, so why even have people defer to those?

I think when races were first getting cancelled earlier in the year, there was a lot of optimism for fall races. At this point, it is just irresponsible for IM to even consider having races this year. Lubbock should have been a wake up call--if I had've been one of the people that had already traveled to that race to have it cancelled in the 11th hour, I would be so angry.  Ironman should accept the inevitable and be proactive in canceling all 2020 races. 

/rant. 

Do you guys know Kelly Gallagher? You've probably seen the name on FB or around here in other forums. Anyway, her and her husband are well connected and she's an attorney. She said WTC does not cancel races - ever. The ones getting cancelled are because the governing bodies in the towns the races are held are pulling their permits. Just look at the LP disaster. They emailed everyone and said they wanted to have it on 8/30 and to stay tuned. The town of LP came out in droves and said "NO we don't want you here" and the town revoked the permit.

Totally makes sense!

2020-07-09 1:59 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk ok so I've missed a lot. I've pretty much lost my mojo and don't even care that all the races were cancelled because I don't feel like going anywhere anyway. It's not to say I'm depressed or sitting around doing nothing but I've decided to take 2 months off (coach is on pause) and I'm just doing fun stuff. I've been battling back issues since March and I had an MRI last week. I have a herniated disc that's hitting a nerve - but it's MUCH better than it was at its worst. So we're continuing with PT and see where it goes. Running and sitting at my desk are the only things that really aggravate it. That of course brings me to CDA. It is now on the IM website (not open for reg yet) but I have my doubts as to if it's really going to happen. And I think reg will sell out so do I risk the $1400 reg fee? (me and DH). THAT is the question! I heard that this year the people registered for St George were given CDA as a deferral option. I have ZERO desire to do SG - and did they ever announce the third race in that rotation? hydration packs - for hiking/running I mostly use my orange mud and I also have a nathan (bladders). For MTB I use my camelbak. BTW, I'm enjoying doing a lot of HIKING and mountain biking this year. I figure the uneven ground on hikes is probably good for my back and stabilizing muscles. Thanks J for checking on me OH LASTLY - BIG STORY - we have a LOT of bears near me. My former Gym trainer and his dog were both BIT while hiking!! Unprovoked attack. EEK! They closed off that trail. Hopefully the bear knows she's supposed to stay on that trail.

I'm surprised to hear you say that you lost your mojo because I see that you've been really active!  I guess you mean your structured training mojo?  I figured that you had returned to your love of mtb!

Yes, St. George folks were given deferrals to CdA. I have several teammates that took that option because was the most distant choice and they wanted to punt their race as far down the road as possible.

June 2021 *might* be OK for a race, although I have my doubts about Chattanooga in May so there is that.  If our government took things seriously and we had treatments/vaccine without shortages... Personally, I'd probably feel more comfortable with a driving distance type event.

I'm sorry to hear that your back has been angry.  I had a bulged disc (L5/S1) with sciatica and it was not fun but did eventually resolve (knock wood).  Lots of PT and stretching and eventually an epidural.

Yikes!  Bears and hiking and unprovoked bites! Oh my!

2020-07-09 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by glfprncs Louisville just cancelled and there will be no 2021 race, either. The options for deferal were to 2020 IM Maryland, 2020 IM Chattanooga, 2020 IM Texas or to 2021 IM Chattanooga. I'm thinking none of the 2020 races are going to happen, so why even have people defer to those?

I think when races were first getting cancelled earlier in the year, there was a lot of optimism for fall races. At this point, it is just irresponsible for IM to even consider having races this year. Lubbock should have been a wake up call--if I had've been one of the people that had already traveled to that race to have it cancelled in the 11th hour, I would be so angry.  Ironman should accept the inevitable and be proactive in canceling all 2020 races. 

/rant. 

Do you guys know Kelly Gallagher? You've probably seen the name on FB or around here in other forums. Anyway, her and her husband are well connected and she's an attorney. She said WTC does not cancel races - ever. The ones getting cancelled are because the governing bodies in the towns the races are held are pulling their permits. Just look at the LP disaster. They emailed everyone and said they wanted to have it on 8/30 and to stay tuned. The town of LP came out in droves and said "NO we don't want you here" and the town revoked the permit. Totally makes sense!

Ah! And here I was giving them the benefit of the doubt and thinking it was insurance policy related!

Any insight on how they plan to conduct events with two years of payroll covered by one year's entry fees?

2020-07-09 2:12 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk That of course brings me to CDA. It is now on the IM website (not open for reg yet) but I have my doubts as to if it's really going to happen. And I think reg will sell out so do I risk the $1400 reg fee? (me and DH). THAT is the question! I heard that this year the people registered for St George were given CDA as a deferral option. I have ZERO desire to do SG - and did they ever announce the third race in that rotation?

Yes, St. George folks were given deferrals to CdA. I have several teammates that took that option because was the most distant choice and they wanted to punt their race as far down the road as possible.

June 2021 *might* be OK for a race, although I have my doubts about Chattanooga in May so there is that.  If our government took things seriously and we had treatments/vaccine without shortages... Personally, I'd probably feel more comfortable with a driving distance type event.

I was trying to be positive with my above statement. Personally, I am over race registrations of any kind until I am confident that races can move forward. I plan to ride my bike a lot from now through the fall and then do an off season plan and see where things stand in February before starting an HIM plan for May.  Worst case, I ride my bike a lot again next year.

2020-07-09 2:16 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Are you considering CDA this year or next? If this year, I would definitely not plunk down $1400. Or $100, for that matter, for anything happening this year. I would be shocked if the event actually took place. CDA's a small community and they can't handle that amount of potential exposure. But Idaho's a red state--dunno. Maybe they're not taking too many precautions???

I was also given CDA (Sept. 6, 2020) as a deferral option, for Calgary 70.3. Did not choose it as in theory it is the weekend before our first day of school and I wouldn't have the time to travel back. (Whether there will in fact be a first day of school, and whether I will still be teaching at said school, is another can of worms entirely...) I was given NO deferral options to 2021. Ended up "choosing" Washington 70.3 on Sept. 20, thinking maybe if it's cancelled they might defer me into 2021, but I don't intend to actually do it, and anyway I don't think the race will actually happen. I don't expect to see my money back from this. Really an annoyance after losing so much last year as well. (I had registered for but couldn't do St. George and Honu due to injury; lost some travel $ too). I'm just done with registering for anything until there's a vaccine, or this goes away. Seriously thinking about resigning/retiring and I can't afford to throw $$$ around like that anymore.

2020-07-09 2:16 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk ok so I've missed a lot. I've pretty much lost my mojo and don't even care that all the races were cancelled because I don't feel like going anywhere anyway. It's not to say I'm depressed or sitting around doing nothing but I've decided to take 2 months off (coach is on pause) and I'm just doing fun stuff. I've been battling back issues since March and I had an MRI last week. I have a herniated disc that's hitting a nerve - but it's MUCH better than it was at its worst. So we're continuing with PT and see where it goes. Running and sitting at my desk are the only things that really aggravate it. That of course brings me to CDA. It is now on the IM website (not open for reg yet) but I have my doubts as to if it's really going to happen. And I think reg will sell out so do I risk the $1400 reg fee? (me and DH). THAT is the question! I heard that this year the people registered for St George were given CDA as a deferral option. I have ZERO desire to do SG - and did they ever announce the third race in that rotation? hydration packs - for hiking/running I mostly use my orange mud and I also have a nathan (bladders). For MTB I use my camelbak. BTW, I'm enjoying doing a lot of HIKING and mountain biking this year. I figure the uneven ground on hikes is probably good for my back and stabilizing muscles. Thanks J for checking on me OH LASTLY - BIG STORY - we have a LOT of bears near me. My former Gym trainer and his dog were both BIT while hiking!! Unprovoked attack. EEK! They closed off that trail. Hopefully the bear knows she's supposed to stay on that trail.

Unprovoked bear attack/bite?!?!?!?!!!!!  WOW!!!!  Hopefully trainer and dog are OK and yeah, that the bear knows to only stay in the closed area, ha!

2020-07-09 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Are you considering CDA this year or next? If this year, I would definitely not plunk down $1400. Or $100, for that matter, for anything happening this year. I would be shocked if the event actually took place. CDA's a small community and they can't handle that amount of potential exposure. But Idaho's a red state--dunno. Maybe they're not taking too many precautions??? I was also given CDA (Sept. 6, 2020) as a deferral option, for Calgary 70.3. Did not choose it as in theory it is the weekend before our first day of school and I wouldn't have the time to travel back. (Whether there will in fact be a first day of school, and whether I will still be teaching at said school, is another can of worms entirely...) I was given NO deferral options to 2021. Ended up "choosing" Washington 70.3 on Sept. 20, thinking maybe if it's cancelled they might defer me into 2021, but I don't intend to actually do it, and anyway I don't think the race will actually happen. I don't expect to see my money back from this. Really an annoyance after losing so much last year as well. (I had registered for but couldn't do St. George and Honu due to injury; lost some travel $ too). I'm just done with registering for anything until there's a vaccine, or this goes away. Seriously thinking about resigning/retiring and I can't afford to throw $$$ around like that anymore.

I believe that Randee is referring the the CdA full on Sunday, June 27, 2021.

2020-07-09 2:39 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by Hot Runner Are you considering CDA this year or next? If this year, I would definitely not plunk down $1400. Or $100, for that matter, for anything happening this year. I would be shocked if the event actually took place. CDA's a small community and they can't handle that amount of potential exposure. But Idaho's a red state--dunno. Maybe they're not taking too many precautions??? I was also given CDA (Sept. 6, 2020) as a deferral option, for Calgary 70.3. Did not choose it as in theory it is the weekend before our first day of school and I wouldn't have the time to travel back. (Whether there will in fact be a first day of school, and whether I will still be teaching at said school, is another can of worms entirely...) I was given NO deferral options to 2021. Ended up "choosing" Washington 70.3 on Sept. 20, thinking maybe if it's cancelled they might defer me into 2021, but I don't intend to actually do it, and anyway I don't think the race will actually happen. I don't expect to see my money back from this. Really an annoyance after losing so much last year as well. (I had registered for but couldn't do St. George and Honu due to injury; lost some travel $ too). I'm just done with registering for anything until there's a vaccine, or this goes away. Seriously thinking about resigning/retiring and I can't afford to throw $$$ around like that anymore.

Yep, the full. It's only supposed to come around once every 3 years.

Our Des Moines 70.3 options were for 2021 (too close to CDA) or a few in 2020. We picked NC hoping it would get cancelled and we can just roll that one to 2021. We have ZERO intentions of going to NC at the end of October.

I'm thinking about putting all my saved race travel money from this year into a hot tub :D

NO buzz on how WTC intends to operate payroll with no income. My guess would be like others - layoffs and a reliance even MORE on volunteers. I think the deal did close - so maybe new management with have new ideas?

2020-07-09 2:49 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yep, the full. It's only supposed to come around once every 3 years. Our Des Moines 70.3 options were for 2021 (too close to CDA) or a few in 2020. We picked NC hoping it would get cancelled and we can just roll that one to 2021. We have ZERO intentions of going to NC at the end of October. I'm thinking about putting all my saved race travel money from this year into a hot tub :D NO buzz on how WTC intends to operate payroll with no income. My guess would be like others - layoffs and a reliance even MORE on volunteers. I think the deal did close - so maybe new management with have new ideas?

Well, if things settle down, maybe you can come to western NC rather than the coast in the fall. If things settle down...

2020-07-09 2:59 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

ok so I've missed a lot.

I've pretty much lost my mojo and don't even care that all the races were cancelled because I don't feel like going anywhere anyway. It's not to say I'm depressed or sitting around doing nothing but I've decided to take 2 months off (coach is on pause) and I'm just doing fun stuff. I've been battling back issues since March and I had an MRI last week. I have a herniated disc that's hitting a nerve - but it's MUCH better than it was at its worst. So we're continuing with PT and see where it goes. Running and sitting at my desk are the only things that really aggravate it.

That of course brings me to CDA. It is now on the IM website (not open for reg yet) but I have my doubts as to if it's really going to happen. And I think reg will sell out so do I risk the $1400 reg fee? (me and DH). THAT is the question! I heard that this year the people registered for St George were given CDA as a deferral option. I have ZERO desire to do SG - and did they ever announce the third race in that rotation?

hydration packs - for hiking/running I mostly use my orange mud and I also have a nathan (bladders). For MTB I use my camelbak.

BTW, I'm enjoying doing a lot of HIKING and mountain biking this year. I figure the uneven ground on hikes is probably good for my back and stabilizing muscles.

Thanks J for checking on me

OH LASTLY - BIG STORY - we have a LOT of bears near me. My former Gym trainer and his dog were both BIT while hiking!! Unprovoked attack. EEK! They closed off that trail. Hopefully the bear knows she's supposed to stay on that trail.

so sorry to hear about the herniated disc, that sounds so painful. Definitely time to hit pause and focus on healing.
2020-07-09 6:37 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hmmm....I like the travel money into hot tub concept! We normally travel a lot, not just for racing; I'm sure it would more than finance a hot tub. But this fall is just too uncertain to sink any $$ into anything right now.

Still pondering if an Endless Pool would be a worthwhile investment. Has anyone tried one of these? Possible to swim normally? I'm sure it's boring as h.... but that's not a big issue right now. Not just Covid concerns but at the best of times, when I'm working, it's very hard for me to swim at any available pool in town given their hours and mine, and my options are really limited (and crowded). And the past few months have shown me how much I need the pool for bike/run recovery (and sanity).

Someone I know has an endless pool motor (I guess that's what it is--the part that generates the flow) that they are willing to loan or sell me. Can this be installed in a random small pool/spa or do the components have to match? Just curious. I think we do have the space (previous owner had a large spa/hot tub and that patio space is just bricked up now). But not sure I want to shell out the $$$.

2020-07-10 7:37 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Hmmm....I like the travel money into hot tub concept! We normally travel a lot, not just for racing; I'm sure it would more than finance a hot tub. But this fall is just too uncertain to sink any $$ into anything right now.

Still pondering if an Endless Pool would be a worthwhile investment. Has anyone tried one of these? Possible to swim normally? I'm sure it's boring as h.... but that's not a big issue right now. Not just Covid concerns but at the best of times, when I'm working, it's very hard for me to swim at any available pool in town given their hours and mine, and my options are really limited (and crowded). And the past few months have shown me how much I need the pool for bike/run recovery (and sanity).

Someone I know has an endless pool motor (I guess that's what it is--the part that generates the flow) that they are willing to loan or sell me. Can this be installed in a random small pool/spa or do the components have to match? Just curious. I think we do have the space (previous owner had a large spa/hot tub and that patio space is just bricked up now). But not sure I want to shell out the $$$.

I've wanted one for a long time and now with my back it seems like a no brainer. I hear you on spending money right now. My car dealer keeps sending me emails and snail mails about how badly they want to sell me a new car. And it's temping but I just can't.

A hot tub I think I can justify. Even though we have the money I'm sure they do no interest for a year so why not?
2020-07-10 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Hmmm....I like the travel money into hot tub concept! We normally travel a lot, not just for racing; I'm sure it would more than finance a hot tub. But this fall is just too uncertain to sink any $$ into anything right now. Still pondering if an Endless Pool would be a worthwhile investment. Has anyone tried one of these? Possible to swim normally? I'm sure it's boring as h.... but that's not a big issue right now. Not just Covid concerns but at the best of times, when I'm working, it's very hard for me to swim at any available pool in town given their hours and mine, and my options are really limited (and crowded). And the past few months have shown me how much I need the pool for bike/run recovery (and sanity). Someone I know has an endless pool motor (I guess that's what it is--the part that generates the flow) that they are willing to loan or sell me. Can this be installed in a random small pool/spa or do the components have to match? Just curious. I think we do have the space (previous owner had a large spa/hot tub and that patio space is just bricked up now). But not sure I want to shell out the $$$.

I think that this could be a good solution for you, however, I'd definitely want to try it out before spending that kind of money. It *seems* like it would be more similar to OWS than pool swimming but I have no idea.

2020-07-10 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner Hmmm....I like the travel money into hot tub concept! We normally travel a lot, not just for racing; I'm sure it would more than finance a hot tub. But this fall is just too uncertain to sink any $$ into anything right now. Still pondering if an Endless Pool would be a worthwhile investment. Has anyone tried one of these? Possible to swim normally? I'm sure it's boring as h.... but that's not a big issue right now. Not just Covid concerns but at the best of times, when I'm working, it's very hard for me to swim at any available pool in town given their hours and mine, and my options are really limited (and crowded). And the past few months have shown me how much I need the pool for bike/run recovery (and sanity). Someone I know has an endless pool motor (I guess that's what it is--the part that generates the flow) that they are willing to loan or sell me. Can this be installed in a random small pool/spa or do the components have to match? Just curious. I think we do have the space (previous owner had a large spa/hot tub and that patio space is just bricked up now). But not sure I want to shell out the $$$.
I've wanted one for a long time and now with my back it seems like a no brainer. I hear you on spending money right now. My car dealer keeps sending me emails and snail mails about how badly they want to sell me a new car. And it's temping but I just can't. A hot tub I think I can justify. Even though we have the money I'm sure they do no interest for a year so why not?

My husband has been doing A LOT of shopping for pools/hot tubs/spas/swim spas and apparently a huge drawback to the endless pool is that it uses a TON of power. Like double your hydro bill kind of power ... so take a look and research that before jumping in. Could still be worth it!

2020-07-10 10:13 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by juniperjen

I've wanted one for a long time and now with my back it seems like a no brainer. I hear you on spending money right now. My car dealer keeps sending me emails and snail mails about how badly they want to sell me a new car. And it's temping but I just can't. A hot tub I think I can justify. Even though we have the money I'm sure they do no interest for a year so why not?

My husband has been doing A LOT of shopping for pools/hot tubs/spas/swim spas and apparently a huge drawback to the endless pool is that it uses a TON of power. Like double your hydro bill kind of power ... so take a look and research that before jumping in. Could still be worth it!

I'd wondered about the bills. Would be interesting to see how the increased utility/power/water costs compare to a year of pool membership/access.
2020-07-10 10:33 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

My home in Kansas came with a hot tub, and it definitely about doubled my electricity bill when I had it running (small 2-bedroom home for reference). It had it's own breaker box.

I'm probably not the ideal person to ask because I'm not great at upkeeping things, but when I bought the house I was excited about the hot tub. I used it occasionally for about 2 years. Then a few things broke () but I kept thinking I would use it or worst case it would be enticing for a buyer down the road. Then it just got to the point of too much for only using a few times a year - the chemical upkeep, the cleaning, the parts breaking. I ended up not using it for many years and then having to pay a bunch of money () to have it hauled away and have the deck re-done as it was built into the back deck. 

2020-07-10 11:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Well.....When the issue is not having safe pool access, comparison to pool membership becomes a moot point. My access is sporadic at best this summer and depends on either being able to dial into a number along with thousands of other people and scheduling very limited slots, or driving 50 miles round-trip to a lake. If/when we do go back to school, it'll be really hard to get any usable slots as my available times will be limited to the times when everyone else who's working can swim. And lake is not doable after about September. All (two) other indoor facilities are in older, poorly-ventilated buildings. The only indoor option I might be comfortable with (bigger, newer facility) is in a neighboring city; 30 mile drive round-trip, only doable on weekends if we are back to school in the normal sense.

But the cost of Endless Pool or similar definitely gives me pause. Not just installation but maintenance, power (it's almost never warm here overnight, would always have to be heated), and insurance (I understand premiums go WAY up with a pool or hot tub). Probably not realistic. And there is some possibility we won't be here long-term anyway; not sure how much $$ I want to sink into the house at this time.

Hate to say it, but swimming is probably going to go by the wayside this fall/winter. If all else fails, I can go back to "soup can swimming". (You just go through the motions while holding soup cans. Strokes, drills, etc. The only thing you can't do is pull and kick. Not as much joint stress as swim cords, but definitely works the swim muscles if you do it long enough. My swim paces since getting back in the water this summer have actually been pretty close to normal beginning of season speed, despite the layoff and last year's injury, so it appears to work for maintaining fitness, though boring as h.... and obviously none of the recovery benefits of swimming in actual water.)

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-07-10 11:29 AM
2020-07-10 11:45 AM

When I got my new job and moved down where I am now at the beginning of 2019, my wife and I decided we would get 2 things. A hot tub for her, and a boat for me. The boat was a no brainer because we live right on the water now and have a harbor nearby to dock and I'd rather be fishing than doing anything else. We ended up getting a hot tub last August when the state fair was going since they run pretty good deals. They installed it in October. As others indicated, the upkeep and maintenance is kind of a pain, and our electricity bills are crazy, especially in the winter. The water and chemicals don't agree with my wife's skin so much (she's not a swimmer), so she can only stay in for 10-15 minutes at a time. A couple weeks ago she said she regrets getting it and we should sell it. So that's probably going to be the plan. We'll take a decent loss for sure.

With that said, the boat is a terrible financial decision as well, but I absolutely love it and we use it a lot. But it sucks money like crazy. Haha.
2020-07-10 12:21 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Well.....When the issue is not having safe pool access, comparison to pool membership becomes a moot point. My access is sporadic at best this summer and depends on either being able to dial into a number along with thousands of other people and scheduling very limited slots, or driving 50 miles round-trip to a lake. If/when we do go back to school, it'll be really hard to get any usable slots as my available times will be limited to the times when everyone else who's working can swim. And lake is not doable after about September. All (two) other indoor facilities are in older, poorly-ventilated buildings. The only indoor option I might be comfortable with (bigger, newer facility) is in a neighboring city; 30 mile drive round-trip, only doable on weekends if we are back to school in the normal sense. But the cost of Endless Pool or similar definitely gives me pause. Not just installation but maintenance, power (it's almost never warm here overnight, would always have to be heated), and insurance (I understand premiums go WAY up with a pool or hot tub). Probably not realistic. And there is some possibility we won't be here long-term anyway; not sure how much $$ I want to sink into the house at this time. Hate to say it, but swimming is probably going to go by the wayside this fall/winter. If all else fails, I can go back to "soup can swimming". (You just go through the motions while holding soup cans. Strokes, drills, etc. The only thing you can't do is pull and kick. Not as much joint stress as swim cords, but definitely works the swim muscles if you do it long enough. My swim paces since getting back in the water this summer have actually been pretty close to normal beginning of season speed, despite the layoff and last year's injury, so it appears to work for maintaining fitness, though boring as h.... and obviously none of the recovery benefits of swimming in actual water.)

Well, if the Endless Pool is not an option and you are considering Soup Can Swimming in the interim, you could see if a Vasa system is a middle ground.  I know some people who have them and have found that they have good results without spending a lot of time to/from pools until quite close to race date. They've had enough success with them that I looked into it but decided that I was $500 interested, not $2k interested.

2020-07-10 3:35 PM

Originally posted by Hot Runner Well.....When the issue is not having safe pool access, comparison to pool membership becomes a moot point. My access is sporadic at best this summer and depends on either being able to dial into a number along with thousands of other people and scheduling very limited slots, or driving 50 miles round-trip to a lake. If/when we do go back to school, it'll be really hard to get any usable slots as my available times will be limited to the times when everyone else who's working can swim. And lake is not doable after about September. All (two) other indoor facilities are in older, poorly-ventilated buildings. The only indoor option I might be comfortable with (bigger, newer facility) is in a neighboring city; 30 mile drive round-trip, only doable on weekends if we are back to school in the normal sense. But the cost of Endless Pool or similar definitely gives me pause. Not just installation but maintenance, power (it's almost never warm here overnight, would always have to be heated), and insurance (I understand premiums go WAY up with a pool or hot tub). Probably not realistic. And there is some possibility we won't be here long-term anyway; not sure how much $$ I want to sink into the house at this time. Hate to say it, but swimming is probably going to go by the wayside this fall/winter. If all else fails, I can go back to "soup can swimming". (You just go through the motions while holding soup cans. Strokes, drills, etc. The only thing you can't do is pull and kick. Not as much joint stress as swim cords, but definitely works the swim muscles if you do it long enough. My swim paces since getting back in the water this summer have actually been pretty close to normal beginning of season speed, despite the layoff and last year's injury, so it appears to work for maintaining fitness, though boring as h.... and obviously none of the recovery benefits of swimming in actual water.)

Well, if the Endless Pool is not an option and you are considering Soup Can Swimming in the interim, you could see if a Vasa system is a middle ground.  I know some people who have them and have found that they have good results without spending a lot of time to/from pools until quite close to race date. They've had enough success with them that I looked into it but decided that I was $500 interested, not $2k interested.

Interestingly, Vasa's website says that due to COVID, they had a lot of orders and are pretty much out of everything for the time being.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127