BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-07-07 7:05 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Curtis,

Yes on Muncie being canceled. I think they called it 3 or 4 days ago.

2020-07-08 6:17 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs Curtis, Yes on Muncie being canceled. I think they called it 3 or 4 days ago.

Boulder 70.3, Buffalo Springs 70.3, and Maine 70.3 were canned at the same time.

The Texas State Fair was also canceled. That does not bode well for the delayed IM Texas.

I think that the bigger question may be does Ironman survive this?  That have had income (and expenses) for this year but deferred most events to next year. With safe racing requirements, they may not be able to open any more slots (or may, in fact, be oversold).  So 2021 brings continued expenses and not a lot more income. Will they declare bankruptcy and if so, will our entries just vaporize?  I just don't see how this is sustainable for them or any other event organizers.

2020-07-08 6:43 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by glfprncs Curtis, Yes on Muncie being canceled. I think they called it 3 or 4 days ago.

Boulder 70.3, Buffalo Springs 70.3, and Maine 70.3 were canned at the same time.

The Texas State Fair was also canceled. That does not bode well for the delayed IM Texas.

I think that the bigger question may be does Ironman survive this?  That have had income (and expenses) for this year but deferred most events to next year. With safe racing requirements, they may not be able to open any more slots (or may, in fact, be oversold).  So 2021 brings continued expenses and not a lot more income. Will they declare bankruptcy and if so, will our entries just vaporize?  I just don't see how this is sustainable for them or any other event organizers.

I think this is an interesting topic and IM may have been in a position of damned if you do, damned if you don't. I doubt when all this started happening and the first races were canceled that IM had even a passing thought that all races would end up being canceled. So with that in mind did they decide to allow deferments to next year rather than just telling us all we were out of luck, the agreement we all sign says we don't get refunds when races have to cancel. Then cancelations started to pick up steam and they have been left with the process they put in place in the spring and which they may not have decided on had they known what a mess this year would end up being.

I also wonder what the insurance situation is - i am assuming that they wait until the location says no to the race so they can collect the insurance. Does that insurance make up for the lost revenue they experience? Does it cover entry fees only or does it cover all the lost money from gear sales etc? If the insurance is good enough, they could be relatively ok if we get back to some kind of normal in 2021.  

2020-07-08 6:57 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

I think this is an interesting topic and IM may have been in a position of damned if you do, damned if you don't. I doubt when all this started happening and the first races were canceled that IM had even a passing thought that all races would end up being canceled. So with that in mind did they decide to allow deferments to next year rather than just telling us all we were out of luck, the agreement we all sign says we don't get refunds when races have to cancel. Then cancelations started to pick up steam and they have been left with the process they put in place in the spring and which they may not have decided on had they known what a mess this year would end up being.

I also wonder what the insurance situation is - i am assuming that they wait until the location says no to the race so they can collect the insurance. Does that insurance make up for the lost revenue they experience? Does it cover entry fees only or does it cover all the lost money from gear sales etc? If the insurance is good enough, they could be relatively ok if we get back to some kind of normal in 2021.  

I'm not sure that any of us thought that all of 2020 would be canceled. I mean, I guess we knew it was a possibility but if someone asked me in March would things still be getting worse in July, I'm pretty sure that I was under the impression that the "first wave" would be done and we'd hae a little lull before the fall.  That has not turned out to be the case, at least where I live.

What is Ironman's insurance situation?  Did the purchase of Ironman ever close? Advance, the owner of Discovery networks, was set to close on the deal in the second quarter.  Did the deal close?

This seems to be a situation where the consolidation of races has bitten us in the butt.  From marathons under RnR to triathlons under IM to gravel/mtb races under Lifetime, racers could see choices limited based on the financial stability of these major players.  I know that I was so upset when B2B and Vineman were purchased :-/  On the up side, maybe we will see an independent race renaissance?  More local/regional races like Redman?

2020-07-08 7:39 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

I'm not sure that any of us thought that all of 2020 would be canceled. I mean, I guess we knew it was a possibility but if someone asked me in March would things still be getting worse in July, I'm pretty sure that I was under the impression that the "first wave" would be done and we'd hae a little lull before the fall.  That has not turned out to be the case, at least where I live.

What is Ironman's insurance situation?  Did the purchase of Ironman ever close? Advance, the owner of Discovery networks, was set to close on the deal in the second quarter.  Did the deal close?

This seems to be a situation where the consolidation of races has bitten us in the butt.  From marathons under RnR to triathlons under IM to gravel/mtb races under Lifetime, racers could see choices limited based on the financial stability of these major players.  I know that I was so upset when B2B and Vineman were purchased :-/  On the up side, maybe we will see an independent race renaissance?  More local/regional races like Redman?

That's the silver lining I'm hoping for! In particular it has been disappointing to see multi-distance festivals get purchased by IM and then turned into a Full or a 70.3 for a year only to then be cancelled entirely. I do also worry about smaller companies not surviving this (Rev3, I'm holding out hope that you can weather this) but figure there will still be a desire to race and therefore RDs who will find ways to make it happen.
2020-07-08 8:00 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia

That's the silver lining I'm hoping for! In particular it has been disappointing to see multi-distance festivals get purchased by IM and then turned into a Full or a 70.3 for a year only to then be cancelled entirely. I do also worry about smaller companies not surviving this (Rev3, I'm holding out hope that you can weather this) but figure there will still be a desire to race and therefore RDs who will find ways to make it happen.

I'm hopeful that the smaller race organizers like Kinetic and Setup and Ex2 will survive this. They seem better positioned to have small/medium size events.  Fingers crossed!

2020-07-08 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I'm hopeful that the smaller race organizers like Kinetic and Setup and Ex2 will survive this. They seem better positioned to have small/medium size events.  Fingers crossed!

Agreed! It's been sad to see so many smaller races being eaten up by IM! I do worry that the smaller RDs are in trouble and that we may lose even more independent races as a result.  

2020-07-08 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Agreed! It's been sad to see so many smaller races being eaten up by IM! I do worry that the smaller RDs are in trouble and that we may lose even more independent races as a result.  

My hope is that for the smaller organizers, it's not their full time gig.  I know Setup has some of part-time weekend only staff. I don't know what their full time staff situation is.  I know some events have zero full time staff.

2020-07-08 8:51 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Another race  canceled - Dirty Kanza.  I didn't know about the drama with one of its organizers and the rebranding that it is undergoing.

2020-07-08 9:02 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

On the subject of smaller independent races, the ones that I have seen that are still running races have very low overhead costs and have race directors that live in the communities where the races are run.  The Super Sprint Duathlon that I did is put on by a one-man show.  He owns his own timing equipment and the city council all know him because he has been doing the race for a dozen years in their community of 10,000 people.  We did the race in the dirt parking lot of a Bakery/Donut Shop at the edge of town.  The Standard Distance Duathlon that I did wasn't too much more involved.  That event was run by the OKC Triathlon club.  No one gets paid at that event.  They have the club officers organize the race with volunteers from the club membership.  These are races organized by triathletes for triathletes.  I was at one of these races a few years ago where the RD was also the overall winner of the race.  The small events that have been getting choked out but the out of town corporations that have been moving in are perfectly situated for a surge right now.  Of course, these small races are NOT what the big races are.  Both the Duathlons I did this year had problems with the timing and were not able to do awards at the event.  There is no comparison to the live athlete tracker that you get at the big corporate events and the small events I went to last month, but the course and the competition were great at the smaller events.

2020-07-08 9:05 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

On the subject of smaller independent races, the ones that I have seen that are still running races have very low overhead costs and have race directors that live in the communities where the races are run.  The Super Sprint Duathlon that I did is put on by a one-man show.  He owns his own timing equipment and the city council all know him because he has been doing the race for a dozen years in their community of 10,000 people.  We did the race in the dirt parking lot of a Bakery/Donut Shop at the edge of town.  The Standard Distance Duathlon that I did wasn't too much more involved.  That event was run by the OKC Triathlon club.  No one gets paid at that event.  They have the club officers organize the race with volunteers from the club membership.  These are races organized by triathletes for triathletes.  I was at one of these races a few years ago where the RD was also the overall winner of the race.  The small events that have been getting choked out but the out of town corporations that have been moving in are perfectly situated for a surge right now.  Of course, these small races are NOT what the big races are.  Both the Duathlons I did this year had problems with the timing and were not able to do awards at the event.  There is no comparison to the live athlete tracker that you get at the big corporate events and the small events I went to last month, but the course and the competition were great at the smaller events.

This is good to hear.  Hopefully, we'll all see these grassroots races return sooner rather than later.

2020-07-08 9:11 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Another race  canceled - Dirty Kanza.  I didn't know about the drama with one of its organizers and the rebranding that it is undergoing.

And the Harvest Half is gone as well...

Attention Fire Mountain Inferno XC & Enduro Weekend, Cherokee Harvest Half Marathon, and Cherokee Harvest 5K racers! The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians has made the decision to cancel or postpone all events scheduled on the Qualla Boundary for the remainder of 2020. This includes the Fire Mountain Inferno XC & Enduro Weekend, the Cherokee Harvest Half Marathon and the Cherokee Harvest 5K which were all scheduled for September 12, 2020.

2020-07-08 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Have been wondering myself if IM Corp. is going to survive this. I wouldn't place bets on any of next year's races, at least for events that draw people from beyond a local area. Would even give the Olympics a 10% chance at best. And I don't know....even if this passes, will there still be big events like Kona and 70.3 Worlds? I think it will be quite some time before a lot of countries fully open themselves to international travel again, even if/when there is a vaccine, and before most people are comfortable hopping on a plane and going to a big event. The US in particular are going to be international pariahs for quite some time. Hate to be a pessimist, but nothing I have seen in this country in the past six months has made me an optimist.
2020-07-08 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm not a UCAN user myself but I wanted to put this info out there for the group.

DIY UCAN info

If you’re looking for a cheaper alternative check out High Branch Chain Cyclic Dextrin, also called cluster dextrin. It’s the carb used in First Endurance products. You can buy it in bulk and mix with electrolyte drink. It has a high molecular wt so the osmotic load or pressure is low. It gets into the small intestine very nicely. No insulin spikes. Steady blood sugar.

Buy in bulk: https://www.nutrabio.com/product/SCARB30/

2020-07-08 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Attention Fire Mountain Inferno XC & Enduro Weekend, Cherokee Harvest Half Marathon, and Cherokee Harvest 5K racers! The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians has made the decision to cancel or postpone all events scheduled on the Qualla Boundary for the remainder of 2020. This includes the Fire Mountain Inferno XC & Enduro Weekend, the Cherokee Harvest Half Marathon and the Cherokee Harvest 5K which were all scheduled for September 12, 2020.

Can't say i'm surprised, but i am sad! Hopefully, conditions will be such that our group can still go to Bryson City and do our created really hard half marathon route! 

2020-07-08 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

For those of you who ride with hydration packs, what brand/model do you use?  Camelbak? Orange Mud? USWE?

2020-07-08 10:47 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Can't say i'm surprised, but i am sad! Hopefully, conditions will be such that our group can still go to Bryson City and do our created really hard half marathon route! 

Are you still planning to go up next week?  We are heading to Fletcher for the week of the 20th.

2020-07-08 12:39 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

This is good to hear.  Hopefully, we'll all see these grassroots races return sooner rather than later.

These are my thoughts as well. Lower overhead, plenty of volunteers, some of the small/local races I participated in did not even had medals, and the rewards were as small as $50 or $100. If IM or the big organizers are in trouble and not able to organize events, all those athletes and participats will want to go somewhere - and small/local races will will have an opportunities to welcome all those big groups. So there may be an interesting dynamics going on.
2020-07-08 12:43 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

For those of you who ride with hydration packs, what brand/model do you use?  Camelbak? Orange Mud? USWE?

I use Camelback, it was a birthday gift and I have not tried anything else, so can't compare. I like it - I like the fact it has pockets. One warning: do not run with it without a shirt... I did trail marathon on a very hot day, took off my shirt and run in a sprts bra, and the skin on my back was almost all gone after 5 hours of chaffing....

I use it for both, running and biking, and it worked well for both. I just met couple of folks who use one for the hip/hip bag thing. They said they liked the fact it was not too hot for their back, and their backs did not sweat as much. But it was for biking. I used to run with hip back and did not like how it was moving, but maybe it was just wrong size/brand (i think that hip bag was more for hiking than running).
2020-07-08 1:17 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Are you still planning to go up next week?  We are heading to Fletcher for the week of the 20th.

Plan is to go up in 2 weeks assuming NC doesn't decide to keep me out! 

2020-07-08 1:40 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

I am currently using the Camelback Chase Vest --- I do have a larger Camelback but find that it hurts my back and is really, REALLY hot. The Chase can even be worn while running. I like the pockets in the front!
https://www.backcountry.com/camelbak-chase-bike-vest?CMP_SKU=CAM008P...

2020-07-08 1:45 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake

I am currently using the Camelback Chase Vest --- I do have a larger Camelback but find that it hurts my back and is really, REALLY hot. The Chase can even be worn while running. I like the pockets in the front! https://www.backcountry.com/camelbak-chase-bike-vest?CMP_SKU=CAM008P...

I've heard good things about the Chase as well as the USWE.  I currently have an Orange Mud and I like it well enough but it only as a 1L bladder.

2020-07-08 2:06 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I have a Nathan system I got a few years back for the 50K I did. It's great. This is the newer version of the one I have. Lots of zipped compartments and pockets for phone, gels, etc. - you can even put a small flask bottle in one of the front pockets if you have a 2nd type of hydration you need (like an Infinite or Gatorade or something). I had to replace the bladder after it got a pinhole leak, but that was an easy swap. It's a 2L bladder but I usually only fill it to 50 oz max. I've been using it on all of my long runs.

2020-07-08 2:53 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Cypress, Texas

I don't use the bladder water systems much but tried on my mom's Orange Mud vest and pack when I was in Moab, UT last week.  I loved the Vest because it didn't cover my back (which always makes it sweaty), it was not bulky, or limit my mobility.  I am not a fan of wearing anything on my back but I liked the Orange Mud Vest.  I pack was not for me.  It did cover my back, was bulky, and did limit my mobility.  I preferred to just carry a water bottle in my hand for the 3-4 mile hikes we were doing at Arches National Park.   

2020-07-08 5:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Have not used hydration vests much but might look into them if/when I can handle longer runs (over two hours) here and have a reason to do them. I tried some when I was in Vietnam (we had some parents who designed products for one of the pack companies and they gave me prototypes to test) and wasn't happy with any--chafing and/or too hot. But that might be different in a cooler climate. I've pretty much always used waist packs for hydration. Have been happy with Nathan packs; I also have a two-bottle pack from Ultimate Direction. That is enough for me in Oregon for probably close to 2 hours. With waist packs, I've found what's critical is #1 The waist can be adjusted to actually fit. (This isn't a given with "one-size-fits-all" stuff, for smaller women at least) and #2 The design holds the bottles at an angle, not parallel to your back. This seems to keep them from banging around and causing bruising or chafing.

I had a Camelback (and some similar products from another company) that I used for MTB rides in Vietnam (because my water bottles go so muddy and disgusting) but I didn't really like it. Hot; water quickly got warm and plastic-tasting, hard to clean if you're drinking anything but straight water, and for some reason I find it hard to get enough liquid with the bite and suck valve. It's also hard to keep track of how much you're drinking. Okay for gravel/MTB rides and maybe hiking but I would never run with one.

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-07-08 5:56 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127