BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-07-10 8:53 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Hmmm....I am not 2K interested, when soup cans are $2, less if it's on sale! I do have swim cords as well. Really my main reason to consider a pool isn't so much training for events with swims (who knows when an event might actually happen??) but recovery from bike and run. The soup cans and swim cords are boring, but do seem to help maintain a modicum of fitness. But nothing "undoes" running for me like swimming. Since about age 40, it's been really hard for me to keep up any kind of run "training" without accumulating a ton of niggles, unless I can swim regularly.

2020-07-11 4:57 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Illinois
For whatever reason, DH is suddenly interested in getting a hot tub -- even to the point where he stopped in at a local dealer and talked to a saleslady. There's a slick brochure sitting on our kitchen counter. I don't know how serious he is about moving forward with this, but I did mention some of the comments on here about increased utility costs, maintenance being a pain, etc. Thank you, Manatees!
2020-07-11 7:21 AM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

Champion
Bronze member
We bought a hot tub YEARS ago. It is the best thing ever. With my arthritis, recovery from exercise, yard work, life is made bonmuch easier. I would do it again in a heart beat but I would a swim or exercise feature Those were not an option when ours was purchased. The increased electric is minimal and maintenance is also minimal. My advise is get the best model yiubcan afford. It covers its cost in quality over the years.
2020-07-11 11:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Swim craziness for comic relief, because we need some, probably:

#1 Yesterday I decided to see if, as a swimmer I met at the lake suggested, my run Garmin (FR 20) would track OWS distance by pulling it in my buoy. And the answer is....nope. When I extracted it after the swim, turns out it had only recorded the approximately 0.2 mile walk down the lake shore to where my swim buddy wanted to enter the water (there were water plants and logs closer to the parking area). Then it apparently turned itself off due to lack of input. Story not over yet....On the way home, it turned itself on again (I must have it set to turn on/off with motion. Haven't used the thing in about 18 months so not sure about the settings!) It then recorded that I had done a 30 mile run in 48 minutes! That was quite a day of training.

#2 After swimming, I walked over to where my buddy was getting out (I'd finished in a different place, near where my mom was with my stuff). As far as I know, I'd taken off my cap and goggles and put them in my bag before heading over. We were chatting after she got out and started to take off wetsuits. Mine got stuck on my ankle. Thought that was odd since that suit has calf zippers and I'd unzipped them already. Looked down to check and my goggles were looped around my ankle. How does that happen?!

About the only thing crazier that has happened with the swim was at the Bintan Tri in Indonesia one year (my pic is from that race). We were waiting, waiting, waiting in the hot sun (it claims to be the only tri in the world that is right on the equator, and the Oly starts early afternoon after a morning sprint race) for some local officials to finish giving speeches so we could start. I could swear my head and brains were melting.....Turns out my swim cap was. As I exited the water, took off goggles and then attempted to take off cap. It wouldn't budge. Kept trying with no luck. Finally in T1 I gave it a desperate tug and it came off--with a big patch of my hair. OMG

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-07-11 11:45 AM
2020-07-13 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

Originally posted by jmkizer

For those of you who ride with hydration packs, what brand/model do you use?  Camelbak? Orange Mud? USWE?

I use a camelbak that was my "go bag" in Afghanistan when we flew. It has a ton of extra space, but I can't find my small one right now.

2020-07-14 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Question for the smart peeps in the group: I want to put my run in "maintenance" and focus on biking in my next block. It's not that I ever go my run in super good shape after my injury in December but I'd like to not drop the run to zero before starting my Outseason plan the end of October. I've read that:  "By cutting back on the volume of your training by one third, you'll be able to maintain your fitness level until you are ready to ramp up again."  RW

What has your experience been with this?

2020-07-14 10:11 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
My run fitness would be fine with that. For part of last school year, until I got the treadmill, it got to where I was basically just running on weekends, for lack of safe times/places to run after the time change. I probably wasn't race ready, but was still able to easily finish some longer runs (60-90 minutes) on the weekends. Since I typically run 3-4 days a week, that's a cut-back of 1/3 to 1/2. I think with two runs a week, you can maintain basic run fitness but probably not race-level fitness. Three to stay at a decent race level and four to five to really work on the run. In HS I pretty much took all the winters (November through February) off run "training" (due to swim team) and only did two easy runs per week--maybe 3-5 miles on Saturday and 8-10 on Sunday. Yet three times I bounced back from that and was able to be one of the most competitive distance runners in our state during track season, and place well in road races from 5K to marathon. No doubt the "bounce back" part takes a little longer now though!

What really kills my run fitness is when I don't run at all. Then it doesn't seem to matter how much of other activities I do; getting back to running is hell. When I had the broken elbow last year I was forced to do zero running for almost three months. During that time, from Day 3 after surgery, I was walking 60-90 minutes most days at a brisk pace AND cycling 5-6 days a week, progressing from a basic get-back-in-shape program for the first month or so to pretty challenging 60-90 minute workouts by the end of the layoff, and it still felt for several weeks like I'd never run before in my life! (And this after 40 YEARS of running!)

So at our age, I'd say 2-3 runs a week is "safe", but never go to zero runs unless medically necessary! I think you do have to be careful not to ramp up run mileage too quickly at first once the bike focus is over, because your body is going to get "un-used" to the normal volume of pounding, esp. if you are building to something long like HIM, IM, or marathon.
2020-07-15 6:46 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Question for the smart peeps in the group: I want to put my run in "maintenance" and focus on biking in my next block. It's not that I ever go my run in super good shape after my injury in December but I'd like to not drop the run to zero before starting my Outseason plan the end of October. I've read that:  "By cutting back on the volume of your training by one third, you'll be able to maintain your fitness level until you are ready to ramp up again."  RW

I've found that i can do 0 running and ramp back up fairly easily as long as the period of time for 0 runnings is no more than about a month.If it's more than that it is a struggle. As you know, i was on complete lockdown for about 9 weeks and am finding it really hard to get my run back. The bike is returning much easier.  So, I'd say you'll be ok reducing volume as you describe.

2020-07-15 8:05 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

I've found that i can do 0 running and ramp back up fairly easily as long as the period of time for 0 runnings is no more than about a month.If it's more than that it is a struggle. As you know, i was on complete lockdown for about 9 weeks and am finding it really hard to get my run back. The bike is returning much easier.  So, I'd say you'll be ok reducing volume as you describe.

Thanks for the feedback! It really helps. :-)

2020-07-15 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

My own experience is that muscle memory really is an amazing thing. That coming back to it is way easier than starting from scratch. 

That said, you're still not talking about going to zero  right? You could easily cut back to a few easy runs a week? Along with biking you're going to have other fitness that will make it easier to build to where you want to be. And even within that cut back you can do it's own build/cut back over weeks. 

For me, taking full on breaks for pregnancy and birth were very different than what you are talking about. And to AMD's point above, i feel like i could start with a run/walk and get back to steady running in 6-8 weeks. With my son it was harder, i gained more weight, had tearing and pelvic floor issues that needed me to be much more cautious in my build. But for something like you would do you probably wouldn't need more than 4 weeks to get to where you were - or at least HM fitness. 

2020-07-15 8:39 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

My own experience is that muscle memory really is an amazing thing. That coming back to it is way easier than starting from scratch. 

That said, you're still not talking about going to zero  right? You could easily cut back to a few easy runs a week? Along with biking you're going to have other fitness that will make it easier to build to where you want to be. And even within that cut back you can do it's own build/cut back over weeks. 

For me, taking full on breaks for pregnancy and birth were very different than what you are talking about. And to AMD's point above, i feel like i could start with a run/walk and get back to steady running in 6-8 weeks. With my son it was harder, i gained more weight, had tearing and pelvic floor issues that needed me to be much more cautious in my build. But for something like you would do you probably wouldn't need more than 4 weeks to get to where you were - or at least HM fitness. 

No, I was looking at maybe about 4 runs/week totaling maybe 15 miles  All easy pace, some with strides. The focus will be on the bike.

2020-07-15 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think you'll be fine. Unless you are planning for an early-season marathon or IM (and who of us believes those are even going to be a thing?) shorter and more frequent is probably better than longer and fewer runs.
2020-07-15 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner I think you'll be fine. Unless you are planning for an early-season marathon or IM (and who of us believes those are even going to be a thing?) shorter and more frequent is probably better than longer and fewer runs.

You are so funny!

2020-07-15 5:20 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

IM officially canceled both the CHOO HIM and IM. Options for the 70.3 included Choo 2021. I'm really interested to see what kind of numbers that race will have since there have been so many racers from other venues who were also given that choice. I didn't see anything about a cap. I assume that all races in 2021 (assuming we get to race in 2021!) will have the new, social distance rules, which, seems to me, would require a smaller field to do properly.  This could be interesting!

2020-07-15 5:24 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

And in other news, it appears my paralegal has COVID! She hasn't been tested yet, but all signs point to it. That (assuming it is true) means that of the 9 people in my department, 2 have it. I am not amused to be working in the office! More importantly, this woman has asthma, is in her 60s, and is overweight, so she really could be in a bad way. Unfortunately, she is also one of the people who was/is sure this is a hoax, no big deal, i shouldn't have to wear a mask and won't!  Because of her attitude, i have refused to meet with her in person, all things by email! Phew!

2020-07-15 6:09 PM

And in other news, it appears my paralegal has COVID! She hasn't been tested yet, but all signs point to it. That (assuming it is true) means that of the 9 people in my department, 2 have it. I am not amused to be working in the office! More importantly, this woman has asthma, is in her 60s, and is overweight, so she really could be in a bad way. Unfortunately, she is also one of the people who was/is sure this is a hoax, no big deal, i shouldn't have to wear a mask and won't!  Because of her attitude, i have refused to meet with her in person, all things by email! Phew!

Good luck to you and to her. Found out my wife's aunt went into the hospital in Colorado yesterday with it. Unfortunately under similar circumstances as your paralegal - hoax, all political, and it's my "right" to not wear a mask. Hopefully they didn't infect others.

2020-07-15 8:30 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
One of my colleagues and good friends is getting tested. She's feeling okay so far, but her daughter (11 or 12?) came down with a fever and chills yesterday, so whole family is hoping to get tested today. Kids that age don't often seem to get noticeable symptoms, so hoping it is something else. For some reason strep is pretty prevalent here year-round for kiddos, so hoping it's that.

We were supposed to both attend a get-together at someone's house yesterday but I had already said I was't going, due to living with an 81 year old, plus one colleague who doesn't seem to take this seriously, and another who's a 20-something and I know (from Facebook posts) has been running around a lot all over the state with friends. She is leaving the state for a new job and this was her goodbye party. Really--the teachers may well be the worst danger to each other in a school. Kids are probably less likely to run around so much. And we know they won't go to bars!

Supposed to find out Friday what our plan for beginning the school year is. All that's been said (by the union) is that it is "more conservative than many districts in our area". Whatever that means....
2020-07-16 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

IM officially canceled both the CHOO HIM and IM. Options for the 70.3 included Choo 2021. I'm really interested to see what kind of numbers that race will have since there have been so many racers from other venues who were also given that choice. I didn't see anything about a cap. I assume that all races in 2021 (assuming we get to race in 2021!) will have the new, social distance rules, which, seems to me, would require a smaller field to do properly.  This could be interesting!

I was thinking the same thing! I was given a bunch of other 2020 HIM's as an option for IMMT 70.3 and i wonder how many took it and then now have that race deferred which maybe is a race they didn't want to do - it's a second choice. It's going to be really interesting. 

2020-07-16 9:28 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yep. Washington 70.3 wasn't a race I originally wanted to do. First year for it and I try to avoid those if possible. I'd signed up for Calgary, which is during my summer break (in a normal year, I can make it into a great road trip via favorite city Vancouver, the awesome bike trail between Banff and Canmore, and friends in Idaho on the way back, plus it works a lot better with taper, and recovery for a longer event not to have to sandwich a HIM into a weekend between teaching 8-year-olds). But now I am stuck with Washington 2021. Whatever....If it does happen and is safe, I can do it as travel is fairly simple and would just need to take off a day or two.

At this point, it's all just hypothetical anyway. Thinking maybe a 50% chance for next summer's races--and that might be overly optimistic. Actually wondering if IM Corp. will survive if this goes on more than a year or so. I do hope Calgary 70.3 comes back in some form--it was a great race with lots of community support. And that things will improve enough that Canada will let us in. (I can definitely understand why they wouldn't right now!)
2020-07-16 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm not surprised that they were canceled. I really feel for the folks signed up for the remaining events

I know someone who was signed up for St. George, changed to Lake Placid when STG was canned, changed to Chattanooga when LP was canned...    I also know of people who signed up for Lou and changed to Choo and now....  I realize that it;s a nightmare all around -- for potential participants and for the race organizers. 

Lisa, I really feel for you and the other IM Wisconsn people who are all training just in case the race happens but are also waiting for the shoe to drop.

Yesterday, I heard that one of the bigger regional race organizers in SoCal filed for bankruptcy.  Will Ironman do something similar if only to hit the "reset" button with regards to registration?

2020-07-16 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Oh geez! Just hours after you took your test too :-(

2020-07-16 10:51 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner One of my colleagues and good friends is getting tested. She's feeling okay so far, but her daughter (11 or 12?) came down with a fever and chills yesterday, so whole family is hoping to get tested today. Kids that age don't often seem to get noticeable symptoms, so hoping it is something else. For some reason strep is pretty prevalent here year-round for kiddos, so hoping it's that. We were supposed to both attend a get-together at someone's house yesterday but I had already said I was't going, due to living with an 81 year old, plus one colleague who doesn't seem to take this seriously, and another who's a 20-something and I know (from Facebook posts) has been running around a lot all over the state with friends. She is leaving the state for a new job and this was her goodbye party. Really--the teachers may well be the worst danger to each other in a school. Kids are probably less likely to run around so much. And we know they won't go to bars! Supposed to find out Friday what our plan for beginning the school year is. All that's been said (by the union) is that it is "more conservative than many districts in our area". Whatever that means....

Fingers cross for your friends.  I hope that it's "only" strep.

The schools in my county (we have county-wide school districts in NC) are going hybrid or virtual.  Hybrid is 1/3 in person, 2/3 online so one week in person, two weeks at home).  Parents can also choose to register for a "virtual academy."  So far more than 30,000 students (of 162,000 ins the district) are enrolled.  They have to commit to at least one semester.  The deadline is next Monday.

2020-07-16 10:54 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Yep! My scientist BIL and sister gave me a definite maybe  when i asked whether my test would catch an infection i may have as a result of exposure to the sicky Monday and or Tuesday. Belief is it depends on viral load, if i got a big enough one, probably would catch it, but if small there may not have been time to make it the passages swabbed.  Oh well, I'll know soon enough I guess

2020-07-16 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Yep. Washington 70.3 wasn't a race I originally wanted to do. First year for it and I try to avoid those if possible. I'd signed up for Calgary, which is during my summer break (in a normal year, I can make it into a great road trip via favorite city Vancouver, the awesome bike trail between Banff and Canmore, and friends in Idaho on the way back, plus it works a lot better with taper, and recovery for a longer event not to have to sandwich a HIM into a weekend between teaching 8-year-olds). But now I am stuck with Washington 2021. Whatever....If it does happen and is safe, I can do it as travel is fairly simple and would just need to take off a day or two. At this point, it's all just hypothetical anyway. Thinking maybe a 50% chance for next summer's races--and that might be overly optimistic. Actually wondering if IM Corp. will survive if this goes on more than a year or so. I do hope Calgary 70.3 comes back in some form--it was a great race with lots of community support. And that things will improve enough that Canada will let us in. (I can definitely understand why they wouldn't right now!)

Same.

Maybe we'll have a coordinated federal response by the end of next January.  That may allow things to safely happen in the second half of 2020.  I still think that my/our deferred May 2021 70.3 is on the bubble. I don't see a February Kona happening but I may be a pessimist.

2020-07-16 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yep! My scientist BIL and sister gave me a definite maybe  when i asked whether my test would catch an infection i may have as a result of exposure to the sicky Monday and or Tuesday. Belief is it depends on viral load, if i got a big enough one, probably would catch it, but if small there may not have been time to make it the passages swabbed.  Oh well, I'll know soon enough I guess

I'm so sorry that you are working in that kind of environment.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127