BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd’s Tri Turtles 8 (Beginner, 5K, 10K, Sprint, Whatever) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2020-02-05 9:04 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

Subject: RE: Todd’s Tri Turtles 8 (Beginner, 5K, 10K, Sprint, Whatever)
Name: j-roc/Jason

Story: I am a 43yr old beginner that has been mulling around the idea of triathlons for a few years now and since I am no longer playing ice hockey I finally have the time to fit the training in. I have a loose training plan but would like to tighten that up, but I am not really sure where to start so I am here for some mentoring.

Family: Amazing wife of 13 years with 3 kids: 21 and 10-year-old girls and a 14-year old boy.

2020 Plan: Drop some LBs, get to a point where I am comfortable with the thought of signing up for a sprint (hopefully one in August) and just get a good health routine.

Training/Weight Loss. I'm at 230 and would like to get to 160-170. I have been doing running and biking (in the gym until winter ends) but the swim terrifies me, and I am not sure why since I am a decent swimmer. I am conservatively looking to do a sprint in August, but my main goal is to get to a point to where I can run a 5k and get a long-distance (15 miles +) bike in and not feel utterly destroyed (not necessarily on the same day, but wouldn't that be cool)

Really hoping that I can get my training on a regular schedule and get back to the performance I was capable of before I got out of the Army. I think that some mentoring and accountability will really help me to achieve this goal, and I am looking forward to logging my workouts and getting some good feedback (positive or negative) on how to achieve my goal and complete my first sprint. And if I am really lucky I may even get my youngest off the couch and out there with me.

2020-02-05 9:57 AM
in reply to: #5266805

User image

Jason...welcome! Very effective in setting your goals!! You can do it!!!
2020-02-05 10:02 AM

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Bill you’re right. I had a post not show up for almost 3 Days. Great job Rod. So today I decided that I have to stop being “To Busy” to get my workouts in. I can always wake up earlier or stay up later and that at some point I’m making excuses not to workout instead of reason to workout. I got up at 3:30 this morning and got in a 1.25 mile run before getting in my HIIT workout and was home by 6:00 am

WOW!
2020-02-05 10:22 AM
in reply to: KimFlo

Welcome Jason! Sounds like a great plan!

My head cold is finally mostly gone. I feel like I shook it off much easier than those around me. I even got back in the gym by last Friday. I've been having calf problems with my left leg. I'm pretty sure my sneakers are telling me it's time for an upgrade. Lucky for me I found out I was getting a raise at work yesterday, so new sneakers are now in the budget.

I've been a bit of a negative Nancy lately in regards to my progress. I was whining to my husband saying the days are ticking down and I'm not feeling stronger. He suggested I do a workout/walk/bike from when I started all of this about 5-6 weeks ago. I've been keeping a detailed fitness log, and when I see my entries from 6 weeks ago when I was winded walking 2.5 km, and now being able to run most of that (through walk/run training) I realize that I'm still pushing as hard, but keep upping my goals. I can't get to the finish line if I don't leave my driveway.

I've not been swimming yes, partly because we've been hovering around 0F and the thought of getting in a pool gives me chills. The other part is a mind game where I'm afraid my cardio level isn't quite there yet and I don't want to be "that" girl... tying up the lane for the other fitter people. The internal battle never ends. I have set March 1st as a goal for myself (I plan on buying monthly passes to the pool) but I keep telling myself I should go and see and "scope it out" beforehand.

Hope you're all having a great week!!!
2020-02-06 12:37 AM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Originally posted by 2NewKnees

Rod....that’s pretty toasty in your part of the world; those indoor workouts can be sooo boring; hopefully temps will soon break for you....

Nowhere near as boring as swimming laps in the pool.
2020-02-06 1:56 PM

User image

Originally posted by KimFlo

I've not been swimming yes, partly because we've been hovering around 0F and the thought of getting in a pool gives me chills. The other part is a mind game where I'm afraid my cardio level isn't quite there yet and I don't want to be "that" girl... tying up the lane for the other fitter people. The internal battle never ends. I have set March 1st as a goal for myself (I plan on buying monthly passes to the pool) but I keep telling myself I should go and see and "scope it out" beforehand.

Consider checking with the pool staff on times of day the pool isn't that busy; perhaps that'd fit into your schedule. Then give it a shot. It'll take some time to build stamina in the water so be patient; short swims to start then lengthen the time as you can.

Best of luck!

2020-02-06 1:58 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Rod....I laughed out loud when I read your comment!!!! Yep....it can be boring....I use the time to think through things which usually leads to me forgetting where I am in the set or workout!
2020-02-07 8:39 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I'm blessed with a job that fairly flexible, so I've been hitting the pool around 11:30-12. On days the wife is home, I'll get to work a bit early and take an extended lunch. Since I'm only in the pool for 15 mins or so right now, I'm always back within my hour... They know that eventually I'll be swimming longer.
2020-02-07 10:23 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

What (if anything) do you use for mobility work? I know it's something I need to be better with, but haven't consistently added it in to my routine.

I found this a while ago and it seems like it would help a lot, but have not yet made it stick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B-3Khbht5s

Any other options that you guys use for mobility?
2020-02-07 1:32 PM

Consider checking with the pool staff on times of day the pool isn't that busy; perhaps that'd fit into your schedule. Then give it a shot. It'll take some time to build stamina in the water so be patient; short swims to start then lengthen the time as you can.

Best of luck!

Great suggestion! Thanks!

I hope everyone is having a great week.

We're being pummeled with a snow/ice storm. That means it'll be another few weeks before I'll be able to get outside. I got new sneakers, my feet have been thanking me. In fact after a great run today, I took a moment to reflect on all I've accomplished in the last 5 weeks. I'm still working through a walk/run program but in 3 weeks I'm already 6 minutes faster than where I was. It's really amazing what we're capable of if we put the time and effort into it.

Unrelated, the middle school athletic staff in our area comes to the elementary school to check out the talent every once in a while - the "up and coming" grade 5's. My son (who's in grade 3) was asked to participate in the 12 minute run that they use as a metric. He ran 2.8km in 12 minutes. He's already been told he'll have a spot on cross country/track waiting for him. I can't wait until he's old enough to sign up for relay with me, I believe he needs to be 12, only 3 more years! He's offered to be my running partner once it gets nice out. Unfortunately I don't think he knows how to run my speed.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
2020-02-12 12:57 PM
in reply to: #5266831

User image

Soooo..... This arrived today. Cant wait to take it out!

(20200212_125449.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20200212_125449.jpg (3035KB - 5 downloads)

2020-02-12 3:16 PM
in reply to: #5267109

User image

Congrats on the new device! Always exciting to pick up some new electronics!! Amazing how we all become “attached” to our devices...;0)

Enjoy!

Swam ok today; fair strength session; tomorrow’s “workout” will be snow removal.....ugh
2020-02-14 12:03 AM

User image

Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Rod....that’s pretty toasty in your part of the world; those indoor workouts can be sooo boring; hopefully temps will soon break for you....

During a long solo session I do different drills EG Breathe to the right, Breathe to the left, Breathe either side and Practice sighting every 5th stroke. It helps pass the time and they are required skills in open water.
2020-02-14 12:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hi Turtles,

I'm having a recovery week. I find the body appreciates the rest and the mind gets keen to restart next week. 1 ride, 1 gym session and 1 run this week.

Bought some new socks with a padded sole this week, can't believe how comfortable they are. Looking forward to seein what difference they make on a long run. Anybody else use them?

Heading off on nearly 3 weeks holiday. Plan to run one day, swim the next and repeat. That's the plan...........we'll see what happens.

How's everybody else going?

Edited by AussieTurtle 2020-02-14 1:51 AM
2020-02-14 8:11 AM

User image

I'm getting back on track after a bit of a family emergency last weekend. I have to admit, the new toy... ummmm... I mean tool is helping too. The only way I'm going to figure all the features out is to use it.
2020-02-15 8:56 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great to read that everyone is still at it and sorry for being absent again. Congrats on the watch, I’m a gadget guy when it comes to Tri. Congrats on the young man already opening eyes and likely already securing his spot on CC team. Rod you are absolutely right on the rest, it was so hard years again for me to view rest as a good thing.

So here is the deal with me right now. I have been stupid crazy at work and been fighting with flare ups in my back lately. For those that don’t know I have 2 bulging disk in my lower back, which usually cause little to no problem when I’m working out consistently, which is not happening. Add into it that I’m about to put another 1500 into my truck bringing it to 4000 in the past 4 weeks. (No I don’t have money like that lying around). So now here I am 50 days from my 70.3, with 3 Saturday’s already spoken for with Special Olympics competitions (I help coach and am also a unified partner that participates in 4x100 relay and basketball with them. This is something I will not give up and truly love doing. I am low on money (hotel for race is around 400), undertrained, over worked, and just really wondering if I truly can participate in this sport the way I want at this time. I know we all go through things like this but for some reason this time I am more frustrated than normal. This is something that’s been an issue for years now and I always wonder if I should just run and go to the gym and stop trying to Tri for a while until life slows down. I’m going to take this weekend and really think about where I am and how I am going to proceed.

2020-02-15 1:00 PM
in reply to: #5265133

User image

Todd....hang in there! Life throws curves at us all the time so if not doing the upcoming event is necessary no sweat! Continuing with the Special Oly thing is a great motivation to many. All of us here will want to hear about the event.
2020-02-17 4:40 PM

Hi, I am new to this website. Is it too late to join this mentor group? A mentor is exactly what I need. (And I might need help navigating this site too)

I did my first super sprint and sprint in 2017. Life challenges prevented me from continuing, but I am seriously getting back with the program..so to speak.

This years goal is a comfortable sprint length, with the possibility of doing an Olympic length. That might be next years goal. I hope to train with some 5k and 10k charity races along the way. I am also hoping to find a bike club or some other avenue of learning more about riding a bike.

2020-02-18 7:44 AM

Wow Todd.
That sounds like a lot!
You're commitment to the special Olympics is wonderful though. I'm sure it's as rewarding as it is appreciated by all those involved.
Do what you can with what you can without burning yourself out. No need to put a negative connotation to something you clearly do enjoy, but just can't quite make work right now.

We just got over flu #2 in our house. My plan is to get back on schedule this week. I took the weekend to spend with the family and didn't get my runs in. We did spend 2 days sledding for a few hours and I'm sure walking up hill pulling a child counts for something.

Less than 21 weeks left to get race ready.

Have a great week everyone!
2020-02-19 3:58 AM
in reply to: MsOpus

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by MsOpus

Hi, I am new to this website. Is it too late to join this mentor group? A mentor is exactly what I need. (And I might need help navigating this site too)

I did my first super sprint and sprint in 2017. Life challenges prevented me from continuing, but I am seriously getting back with the program..so to speak.

This years goal is a comfortable sprint length, with the possibility of doing an Olympic length. That might be next years goal. I hope to train with some 5k and 10k charity races along the way. I am also hoping to find a bike club or some other avenue of learning more about riding a bike.

Welcome to the site and welcome to the Turtles, so of course you can join. You already know how everything works for the most part because you have completed a race. I have always liked and used your thoughts of participation in single events 5 & 10k races, charity bike rides to help keep me motivated and to give me shorter term goals. I know that for me being around like minded people at an event really helps to motivate and keep me going. As far as the bike a group can help if you can find one but it’s like driving a car, the more time you have in the saddle the better you get at it. You have to be on rides to miss pot holes, cracks, glass, dumb drivers, and what ever comes at you to gain that confidence. Work at the things that worry you, go to empty parking lots, calm bike paths, if nervous about clipping in and out then do it 100+ times on a trainer where you know you won’t fall over. I don’t know specifically what you are looking for but I’m sure you get what I’m saying.
2020-02-19 4:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Wow Todd.
That sounds like a lot!
You're commitment to the special Olympics is wonderful though. I'm sure it's as rewarding as it is appreciated by all those involved.
Do what you can with what you can without burning yourself out. No need to put a negative connotation to something you clearly do enjoy, but just can't quite make work right now.

We just got over flu #2 in our house. My plan is to get back on schedule this week. I took the weekend to spend with the family and didn't get my runs in. We did spend 2 days sledding for a few hours and I'm sure walking up hill pulling a child counts for something.

Less than 21 weeks left to get race ready.

Have a great week everyone!

Kim sorry about the sickness in the house, but congrats on the Quality family time. It’s funny what you said because it is true and a workout. Until I got a watch with built in heart rate I did not realize just how effective some things are in relation to a “workout”. When you are having fun like a kid you don’t realize how much you are actually putting in.

2020-02-19 4:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Okay, so follow up to my crazy life post. Over the weekend I thought long and hard about what I should do and how. I also received a message from Bill (thank you) who put things in perspective for me and gave me a little wake up slap, which is what makes groups and everyone in them great. I thought about what advice I would give someone in this group when coming to my conclusion. First and most important is that while the race is only 50 days away that also means I still have 50 days to prepare. I would say to not quit on the race until much closer when you know it would not be smart to do it. This number will vary for everyone and race length but is true no matter what. Next I was viewing my workouts as work and they are not. I love swimming, biking and running, but was viewing them as a part of the work day, which left me not doing them. I had to remind myself that they are fun and more importantly are stress relief and not a part of work. I thought about the distance and once again this is relative to each individual, but I have done three 70.3 races and know exactly what it will be so I have all the knowledge I need to make a decision when that day comes. I went out Sunday evening and did an 18 mile ride with a huge smile on my face and had a blast. The ride went much better than I thought it would and reminded me that I still could likely do the race if I started putting in the “fun” not work. I also realized little things like the fact that I can get in 2 or 3 thirty minute swims during my lunch breaks, which takes care of one discipline during the work day. I reminded myself that I have an entire week off for spring break where I can run and ride till my hearts content. I am the one recently who also said I needed to find reasons not excuses, so here I am putting on my big boy pants.
2020-02-20 11:17 AM

Hi Everyone...

Hope you're all having a great week.

Todd, glad to see you got yourself all worked out. Sometimes it's not easy to untangle the mess and you need a few people to show you where the strings are...

I was getting overwhelmed with my training. I'm still 'learning' to run... then I was adding stationary bike because I felt like it was the right thing to do, then I've been stressing about the swimming. I took a step back and realized that my biggest fear is the running. I've never been a runner. I'm doing a learn to run program and crazy enough, I'm enjoying it and I'm doing it. It's really quite shocking. All these years I thought I hated it, but I just never trained properly and really knew how. Today I ran 3.6kms in 32 minutes. After every run I'm shocked by what I've done. This has been quite the process for me.

So, what I've decided to do is focus on my running for 5 more weeks. That will put me 15 weeks before the race and give me lots of time to train in the pool and hopefully with my bike outside. (Hoping snow is mostly gone by then.)

Have a wonderful day!

2020-02-22 7:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well Special Olympics Regional Basketball dome and we got the bronze. I got 32 minutes of running up and down the court over the two games and as always had a blast. Every athlete scored and most importantly had smiles on their faces throughout. I can not express enough just how much fun it is to participate with these young men and women. If you ever get a chance to volunteer in your area, do so. I promise you will feel incredible when you leave and it really puts things into perspective. Looking forward to a long ride tomorrow.
2020-02-25 11:05 AM
in reply to: #5267263

User image

Todd, those athletes will long remember their successes. Cudos to you for being a part of their day!!!

Crappy winter weather here today...ugh! Snow and wind all day today; took the pups to a nearby doggy daycare to run off cabin fever energy; I did an indoor “training” session today. 30 mins or so on the bike and then 15 mins on the treadmill.....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd’s Tri Turtles 8 (Beginner, 5K, 10K, Sprint, Whatever) Rss Feed  

of 9