BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd’s Tri Turtles 8 (Beginner, 5K, 10K, Sprint, Whatever) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2020-03-12 6:47 AM
in reply to: HuntingTriathlete

Subject: RE: Todd’s Tri Turtles 8 (Beginner, 5K, 10K, Sprint, Whatever)
Originally posted by HuntingTriathlete

Originally posted by KimFlo

Glad to hear you had a nice holiday Todd. Sorry to hear about your hip. Sounds like you're forming a solid plan for training...

I have a quick question... As this is my first sprint, how important are cycling shoes to simply putting my runners on after the swim? My budget is small for this entire endeavor. With each year I hope to expand that... but for now, I'm primarily focusing on tires, aero bars, tri-suit. But wondering if bike shoes are top of the 'necessary' list?

Cycling shoes (clipless) serve the purpose of getting more out of each pedal stroke because you get the pull up force. Are they necessary, absolutely not. They do make a difference but if you are still not comfortable on a bike and especially in aero position I would say to wait. If you are like most they will not keep you off the podium. I would say the same for aero bars as shoes. I would not put them on your bike until you feel very confident in your bike handling skills. Tri suits are also not necessary. The point is that all you really have to have is your race entry, something to swim, bike, and run in (Tri suit or top and bottom cover this) plus shoes, bike and helmet. This is a sport that can cost you a lot especially if you are trying to keep up with the Jones’.

Thanks! The purpose of the tri-suit is to avoid nasty chaffing. A bunch of reading I've done, a try suit is the best option, as a womans bathing suit, while good for running, doesn't lend itself well to biking/running afterwards... especially if the shorts I pull over the bathing suit gets wet. When I did my super sprint years ago I remember telling myself that I would not put shorts on if I ever did the sprint. Just run in the bathing suit, but so far, that seems like a big mistake according to different sites I've read.

2020-03-12 7:48 AM
in reply to: KimFlo

I know what you mean figuratively speaking, but was trying to make sure you knew that you could wear a Tri top and Tri shorts instead of a full Tri suit. They tend to cost more and that don’t fit all body sizes the same, plus it’s harder to stop and use the bathroom in one.
2020-03-13 9:03 PM
in reply to: HuntingTriathlete

User image

Extreme Veteran
I don’t know how but I just realized I have been logging workouts and posting the majority of the time from a direct account. I noticed today when I went to send an inspire time Bill and was unable to. It’s the same account name without a space. I also noticed that none of my workouts were logged in the correct account so I put in the ones since Saturday because I had a great week of running while on our camping trip. I hope everyone has a great weekend.
2020-03-14 1:23 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well the decision was made for me today by Ironman as they have decided to postpone Galveston 70.3.
2020-03-14 1:25 PM

User image

LOL!! We have so much technology at our finger tips....one little key stroke makes a huge difference!!! Especially for someone like ME who is "tech challenged"......

Absolutely crazy weather here this am!!! Super day yesterday then we wake up with 4+ inches of heavy wet snow on the ground. Weather folks had predicted just a "trace".....go figure! One thing good about this snow it'll melt quickly since sun and upper 40's predicted for tomorrow (assuming the weather folks are correct). So only minimal snow clearing is on my agenda this afternoon.

With the snow we didn't get the dogs out for our usual 3miles....got on the trainer for 46 mins or so then to the treadmill. Actually "earned" a badge on my Garmin for the effort......I'll take any little success.....:0)

Finally, I do hope all are safe and well with this crazy virus thing. Looks like it'll be a day to day thing. I have read keeping active/exercise when feeling well helps a person fight the symptoms should they contract the bug. Naturally doing all the other things suggested are important as well. My (our) goal is to keep up our regular exercise schedule as best we can.

Hang in there everybody!!!!
2020-03-14 1:26 PM

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Well the decision was made for me today by Ironman as they have decided to postpone Galveston 70.3.

Wow.....more cancellations! Probably the most prudent thing to do.....

2020-03-14 1:35 PM

User image

Kalispell, Montana

Damn, I am sorry to hear that. Did they give you any options for a different race? Did they offer you your money back? I really hope you get to put that fitness to some good use!

I hope everyone stays healthy!
2020-03-14 1:37 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Originally posted by 2NewKnees

LOL!! We have so much technology at our finger tips....one little key stroke makes a huge difference!!! Especially for someone like ME who is "tech challenged"......

Absolutely crazy weather here this am!!! Super day yesterday then we wake up with 4+ inches of heavy wet snow on the ground. Weather folks had predicted just a "trace".....go figure! One thing good about this snow it'll melt quickly since sun and upper 40's predicted for tomorrow (assuming the weather folks are correct). So only minimal snow clearing is on my agenda this afternoon.

With the snow we didn't get the dogs out for our usual 3miles....got on the trainer for 46 mins or so then to the treadmill. Actually "earned" a badge on my Garmin for the effort......I'll take any little success.....:0)

Finally, I do hope all are safe and well with this crazy virus thing. Looks like it'll be a day to day thing. I have read keeping active/exercise when feeling well helps a person fight the symptoms should they contract the bug. Naturally doing all the other things suggested are important as well. My (our) goal is to keep up our regular exercise schedule as best we can.

Hang in there everybody!!!!

Very crazy weather indeed! We will hit single digits over night today. I am supposed to run today, but really don't want to leave the house, LOL.
2020-03-15 9:59 AM
in reply to: RockHead

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by RockHead

Damn, I am sorry to hear that. Did they give you any options for a different race? Did they offer you your money back? I really hope you get to put that fitness to some good use!

I hope everyone stays healthy!

I have heard they are deciding on one of three things. 1. Have the race on a different day this year (I doubt this one) 2. Defer all paid entries this year to next year. 3. Allow people to defer to next year or transfer to another open race this year (I believe this is the most likely)
2020-03-16 3:16 PM

User image

Good swim today; longer time in the water and longer sets. I think I was anticipating the announcement that came later this afternoon that the pool is closing this evening through 3/30 due to the virus concerns. I wasn't surprised at the decision based on all the closings/cancellations that's been announced just since late yesterday. Will just have to do more time on the bike trainer until the pool and weight room reopens.....

Stay well everyone!!!
2020-03-16 5:54 PM

User image

Hi Turtles

Lots of events being cancelled or postponed to sometime in the future. I think all triathlons around the country are on hold. Our football season is off to a bad start, round 1 of Rugby was last weekend and was unaffected but all future games are being played without spectators. Australian Rules Football starts this weekend and will be played without spectators. My personal view is that games will be abandoned once a player has the virus.

On a personal note, I'm training outdoors and enjoying warm autumn weather(70F- 85F). I still can't get my head around how you guys survive in the snow. One of my boys was in Texas recently and it even snowed there!!

Not sure how long our local gym & pool will remain open.

2020-03-17 12:26 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Hey everyone. Looks like the virus has finally hit Montana and is starting to affect events within the state. My gym closed, so swimming is out the window for me, that and I was behind schedule with the previous closure. In light of these new circumstances, I am going to revise my training to normal bike routine (X3) and a long run once a week. I think this will keep my fitness in check until we get some clarity on this summer.
2020-03-18 7:13 AM
in reply to: RockHead

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
I'm still here... this month has been a big miss so far... The Y is closed, so no pool, and I've just been so tired I've been going home and crashing out.

Need to pick it up on the bike & run for the rest of the month.
2020-03-19 9:51 PM
in reply to: #5265133

User image

Hate to double up... but I'm laying down with a fever, sore throat, cough and I just hurt all over... not looking forward to the Dr vidit
2020-03-20 5:54 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Hate to double up... but I'm laying down with a fever, sore throat, cough and I just hurt all over... not looking forward to the Dr vidit

Sorry to hear that you are feeling bad, but it very well may not be what you fear it is. If it is you will deal with it and come out the other side fine. Drink plenty of fluids and keep us updated if you don’t mind because we are all a part of this.
2020-03-21 11:00 AM

User image

Rick...thoughts are with you! Please take care!!

2020-03-21 4:50 PM
in reply to: #5268611

User image

Negative on test, just a simple touch of flu. Never been so happy to be sick.. I share a 14' x 20' office/supply closet with 2 others and we were sharing symptoms. Toss in that my wife and boss man's g/f are nurses (mine in the ER), and our new clerk was a parts delivery driver, and you can see why I was worried! LOL!!

We've not been locked down as of yet, but if they're going to do it to attempt to slow the progress, it needs to be done sooner than later...
2020-03-21 8:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
That is what I was hoping you would say. One of the problems here in Texas right now is the time of the season. Vehicles and everything are covered in pollen and sinus infections / allergy problems are high this time of year. The problem is that sinus infections and allergies show a lot of the same signs as the virus, which makes people think the worse and are complicating an already complicated issue
2020-03-22 3:05 PM
in reply to: #5268682

User image

Rick, glad the test proved to be negative!

Locally the state of Illinois went in a “stay at home” status at 5:00 yesterday; naturally essential services are still operating (grocery stores, gas stations, etc);

Interestingly enough while out on our walk this am; quite a few folks walking their dogs just as we were. My “training” this past week has been 3.5 to 4 mile walks with the dogs; no close contact with anyone; I did have to pick up a new pair of Brooks yesterday before things shut down.

Be safe everyone!!!
2020-03-22 8:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
So here is where my race and I stand. 1. Race is now Nov 22nd, 2. Chose 1 of 3 out of state races, 3. Defer to next year. So I thought this year and reserved a new room. My wife then reminded me that is right next to our 20 year anniversary and that I promised to take her somewhere, so Nov is out. I did not tell y’all but I had made up my mind not to do the race before it was postponed. I had also decided to sell my TT bike and purchase a Trail / XC mountain bike. Why, because I love camping and being outdoors. Road riding on the other hand is something that has been getting crazier, especially with crazy / texting drivers (no cars on the trails). I had planned to start doing road / trail running events and mix in the occasional Xterra Triathlon to tickle that itch. My thought was that I can do most of these trail and xterra races at locations who offer camping as well which makes it a win win for me and the family. I decided to defer my 70.3 to next year with three thoughts. 1 not doing it, 2 doing it on my XC mountain bike, 3 doing it on a rented road / TT Bike, our my own if I’ve already switched back. Those who have been here for a while now I can get a little wishy washy, but this change is something I have been thinking about for almost 2 years now. The one thing that worries me about this is the increased chance of injure as I would be the old man on the trail in most cases, which is also something I think is cool. The first and most important think for me as everyone else in here is to get through this pandemic and back to somewhat of a normal life. For those who don’t know I’m a first responder and currently on 24 hour call out status for the past 2 weeks with no certainty for how long that will last.
2020-03-24 11:49 AM

User image

Glad to hear everyone seems to be doing okay.

Todd: I understand that, I have a co-worker that is a volunteer fire fighter and is on call as well.

Right now we're deemed an "Essential Service" because we are a recovery company, and we maintain our own wreckers. As far as events, my May 17th race (Memphis in May) has been postponed with no make up date posted. I found out they did change venues before this happened and the race will eventually be held at Shelby Farms Park (where the Memphis 70.3 will be), so that's a plus. So far, my June & July races are still on as planned.

2020-03-26 12:00 PM

User image

Hrmm.... 2 in a row again, hehe

Had a Dr appt this morning. Just my usual checkup. As far as indicators go, I got another good one this AM. No, my weight is still the same... but my A1C dropped from 7.4 to 6.7. If that isn't an indicator that I'm doing the right thing... mostly.. then I don't know what is!
2020-03-28 8:48 PM

User image

Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Hrmm.... 2 in a row again, hehe

Had a Dr appt this morning. Just my usual checkup. As far as indicators go, I got another good one this AM. No, my weight is still the same... but my A1C dropped from 7.4 to 6.7. If that isn't an indicator that I'm doing the right thing... mostly.. then I don't know what is!

Good results Rick. Heading in the right direction.
2020-03-28 9:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hi Turtles,

Corona Virus is causing the same problems over here so I won't repeat the same discussions.

From a personal perspective I entered a race series and completed 1 race of 6.(Our season runs from November to March) I have a series T-Shirt as a souvenir, the way I look at it that's a $300 T-Shirt. So what happened?.........I went on holiday to New Zealand a few weeks before race 1 and came back unfit to race. I then injured my hip in a Fun Run and missed races 2 & 3. I completed race 4. Races 5 & 6 were called off due to the pandemic. They have been combined and rescheduled to the end of October so that they can have a series winner in each age group. Also get a credit for 1 race next season.

This is the second season in a row I haven't completed so it's time for a new approach:

1. Stop Running and Swimming (pools & beaches closed) and walk daily. I've walked 8 - 9 KMs per day for the last 4 days and plan to continue unless we go into lock down.

2. Set up home gym, workout 6 days per week. Include specific stretching and strength exercises for lower body. Set myself the challenge of 100 push ups per day throughout April. Join in different Challenges each month.

3. Improve my diet and drop 26 lb by October. Only commence running once I have dropped 13 lb so reduce the pressure on my joints.

4. 2 rides a week, planning 10 KM at race pace at local velodrome and 40 KM on bike paths. I'm with Todd, I avoid roads and the only time I ride on the road is during a race.

While carrying extra weight hasn't stopped me from racing it has limited the number of events I complete so it's my new focus.

The other thing I wanted to share with you is that we all need to take care of our mental health as well as our physical health. I'm out of a rut now as I'm focusing on what on CAN do, not dwelling on what I CAN'T do.

Take care and keep posting and enjoy the social interaction.

Edited by AussieTurtle 2020-03-28 11:26 PM
2020-03-31 11:30 AM
in reply to: #5265133

User image

Rod, your list/goals are outstanding!!! Continuing to “cross train” is very wise! I need to pay attention to your philosophy!!

Right now my focus has been on walking; a loose goal I’ve been keeping is meeting the steps goal my garmin sets each day. So far I’ve maintained a string of 14 days; hope to make it 15 today. The walks also does our 2 dogs a lot of good as well.

Take care everyone!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd’s Tri Turtles 8 (Beginner, 5K, 10K, Sprint, Whatever) Rss Feed  

of 9