BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd’s Tri Turtles 8 (Beginner, 5K, 10K, Sprint, Whatever) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2020-01-02 10:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Todd’s Tri Turtles 8 (Beginner, 5K, 10K, Sprint, Whatever)
GROUP FOCUS: Sprints, 5K, 10K, this group will be geared more towards those with limited to no experience to get you through your Sprint, 5K, 10K, group bike ride, or whatever challenge you issue to yourself. In case you are wondering "Turtles" has to do with moving at whatever pace is necessary to accomplish the goals that are set. Speed is not an issue in this group, if you have it great, if you don't have it great, it makes no difference.

NAME: Hunting Triathlete / Todd

STORY: I'm a 40-44 age grouper (44) who tends to finish middle of the pack. I took up triathlon in January of 2010 as a way to help me quit smoking. I smoked a pack a day from just after my high school graduation until Jan. 3, 2010 (over 16 years). I used swimming, cycling, and running to help me through the cravings, and to improve my health. I completed my first Sprint a little more than two months later, then a fifty mile bike ride a month after that, a few more sprints, and then completed the Houston Marathon just a little after my one year smoke free mark. I am proud to say that I have been smoke free for seven years now, and will never even take a puff off another cigarette as long as I live. I have chosen to make Triathlon a life style and compete for the enjoyment. I'm not going to say that I never look where I finish, but I compete against myself and care more about the journey along the way. I have completed two Half Ironman races, 1 Olympic, numerous sprints as well as running and cycling events. I am not a trainer nor a doctor, but do find great joy and satisfaction through the hard work and accomplishment of others.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for over 19 years, with one beautiful (Spoiled Rotten) daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: Just getting back at it, but when in full swing try my hardest to get in three swims, three bikes, and three runs per week. (short, medium, long.

2020 RACES: Houston Marathon 1/19, and GALVESTON 70.3

WEIGHTLOSS: I am lucky in this category and have never had an issue with my weight. I do want to lower my body fat % and become leaner, but that will come with training.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: As stated above, I enjoy the accomplishments of others, whether they are small or large, because the accomplishment is relative to the individual and should be celebrated. I enjoy interacting with others to keep them motivated and positive about the goals they have set and the positive path they are on. I will make sure to answer any and all questions you have and if I do not know the answer I will do the research and get you the answer. I have been able to make friends through BT with very knowledgeable people who can help me if I need it. I will be there to send out inspires, challenge the group, and keep everyone logging and active. While I am not the most experienced, I am very passionate about this sport and people who are trying to make a change in their life.

Group Rules / Request: I am searching for those subjects that will participate in this group through logging their workouts, questions / comments in the thread, and by inspiring others in the group. No goal is to small for this group and will be celebrated as an accomplishment. We will all work to motivate each other and maintain a positive group. No arguments / discussion about Politics, Religion, Gun Control, and the like topics that tend to inflame others. You are free to take that to Cup of Joe. We can speak of things none Tri related but they should not be negative in any way. I just want a good group that communicates, works out, and enjoys the journey towards their goals.

2020-01-04 8:28 PM
in reply to: #5265133

User image

Subject: RE: Todd’s Tri Turtles 8 (Beginner, 5K, 10K, Sprint, Whatever)
Todd, count me in (again) with your mentor group. No definite “race” plans at this point. One definite goal is to get back on the bike....easier said than done tho.

I’ll update my bio once I get to the desktop....

For others out there....this has been a great group in the past. Give it some consideration if you are looking to join.....
2020-01-05 6:59 AM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Kalispell, Montana
NAME: RockHead / Tom

STORY: I'm 48 and have never done a triathlon. I have always wanted to try one though. On the bright side, I have been training for about 4 years on and off for a triathlon (I just never got around to doing one), so my athletic condition may be a little better than a true newbie.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two grown sons.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I am currently signed up for a Spartan Beast in May and the Coeur D'Alene 70.3 in June.

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES: I have a couple sprints and oly's I will also sign up for when they open. I am also looking to possibly add one more longer distance event for later in the summer.

WEIGHTLOSS: Pretty happy where I am at.
2020-01-05 9:07 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Hi Turtles,

I'm in for another year too.

I'll write a summary over the next couple of days.
2020-01-06 12:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Count me in again.

Name: WebFootFreak/Rick

Story: I am a 46yr old Clyde with a total of 4 sprints, 1 super sprint, and 1 metric century under my belt. I did 2 in '14, and when my 2nd race in '15 got cancelled I went into a downward spiral. I did attempt 1 in '16 and jacked my shoulder up during the swim.... I still do not remember the stagger (aka run) leg at all... My wife convinced me to do a super last summer, and it was... abysmal. I've never panicked in open water until that race. Also, when I started i had HBP and Type 2. I did manage to reverse the Type 2 and was taking minimal meds for the HBP. Well... that's all come back with a cholesterol issue just for kicks. Fun Fact: My screen name comes from having Syndactyly which is the big word to say that I was born with my 2/3 toes webbed together.

Family: Awesome wife of 9/8 years (long story), 4 kiddos: 20 boy who is out on his own (shockingly), 14-11-7 girls who have me wrapped around their fingers.

2020 Plan: Attempting to PR the Memphis in May Sprint (1:42:06), the Buffalo Bill Super (1:39:19), and the Mighty Mite Sprint (2:16:22). Also getting a work group together to run a Mud/Obstacle race in Millington,TN this summer. I would love to do the inaugural Memphis 70.3, but I have no illusions about my current state of health and fitness

Training/Weight Loss. I'm at 270. It is possible that I can end up under 200lb at some point, but I am more worried about overall health and performance over that number. swims are difficult to get to right now, but I'm working on that. 3 runs and 3 cycles as well as other cardio (jump rope, etc), and low weight/high rep strength training. Other than the swim, I can do everything else at the house, and in better weather I have an insane amount of low-traffic roads as well as the Big River Crossing to cross the Mississippi to Memphis.

Edited by WebFootFreak 2020-01-06 12:35 PM
2020-01-06 4:56 PM

I’m down for this thing

Name: Chris from Arlington tx

Story: 33 years old was a multi sport person in school. Should of not played football and focused on track and ran in college but let football get in the way and trashed my knee and brain/ skull (I don’t know when to stop pains for the weak I guess and I learned to bluff my way though concussion test). I stopped sports and went fire fighting and in turn broke my back in that long story second floor collapses was sure we were going to die. After meeting my now wife and her son I left doing that to take a normal job (maintenance at a water park). My wife was always a runner but got back to running events I would support her, I always hated running long distance. I started running a bit with her then she got me to run one 5k and realized I kinda liked it. Since then we have run different lengths out to a marathon. Helped that I swore to never be big like my dad and when our son graduated high school in the pictures with my son I saw myself big like my dad. So I’m now down 60 pounds. I’m 6’ 2 195 now

Family: wife of 5 years and step son who I call my son is 20. We are his biggest fan in baseball he’s pitching in college. Hopefully he can pay us back one day with his arm lol. I tease him he’s my retirement plan. I got him when he was 13 so I got the expensive years.

Plan: just started this adventure of tris. Pie in the sky is do a full ironman in a year or two, but for now I will start with shorter events. I know I will be doing a few run races this year with my wife. She will only support at events.

Training: gym most morning and swimming run or bike in the afternoons. I need to get my road bike hopefully next month (still shopping so advise is welcome) for now I have my step dads hybrid that’s Fuji transverse 1.9. It lets me get miles but sure ain’t useful for speed and setup. During the summer I will do swimming at work in the wave pool and lazy river for now I’m stuck inside at the local ymca pool with water aerobic in the lane over. Tried doing the training log and it whooped me since I was doing a week update since I hadn’t used it yet.

Ps I’m terrible at spelling and punctuation and adhd so I’m a grammar nightmare my wife says.

2020-01-06 6:30 PM
in reply to: Firechrs

Chris, welcome to the group. All the members above you are returning to the group and have their own advice to give. Trust me they will welcome and motivate you. Don’t worry about grammar that’s for my wife, who’s an 8th grade English teacher. You are starting with a running base and enjoy it, which a lot of people don’t starting out (I was one). As far as a bike the most important thing is fit above all else. I suggest going to a bike shop and appearing interested enough in a purchase that you get rough fit enough to try some out. This will give you a good, rough idea of your size. I would then check forums and Craigslist for used road bikes (ton in the Dallas area) and buy yourself a reasonably priced used bike in your size. Don’t worry a ton about age and try to get one with good components (105 or better). Basically any road bike will be faster and lighter than what you got. After you’ve used it for a while and done some races you will know better what you want and if you want to switch to a triathlon bike. You may find yourself doing more group rides which a road bike is better for and you can throw clip on aero bars for tri’s, without losing a whole lot. Actually I suggest putting a set on the used road bike you get and practice riding on them to figure out where you sit. Once you’ve got all that figured out then you can go and make a purchase of a more expensive bike. Trust me you can pass a person on a $5000 bike riding a $500 bike. There are things that cost gets you, but it still is largely based on the engine, you! Also and this is not said in a negative way, knowing where you are likely to finish on the results sheet is important. Too many people think they are going to podium and if it’s a long race don’t have the god gifted capability to do so no matter how much they train. Example, the 40 to 44 group is one of the fastest consistently. Why, money and time to train in large part. I like running but know I’m not averaging anywhere near 6 minute miles for a half marathon at the end of an Ironman 70.3. I compete against myself and myself alone. My point is that you may or may not be a podium guy, but you have to take it for what it is and enjoy the journey. I always remind myself no matter where I finish that there is someone who wishes they were where I am or more importantly physically able to even try.
2020-01-06 8:42 PM
in reply to: HuntingTriathlete

User image

Originally posted by HuntingTriathlete

Once you’ve got all that figured out then you can go and make a purchase of a more expensive bike. Trust me you can pass a person on a $5000 bike riding a $500 bike.

This. My strength, if I really have one, is the bike. My primary bike is a GMC Denali (made by Kent) from WalMart. The only upgrades I've made was to replace the bottom bracket (replaced the junky cone bearings with a sealed unit), the seat (that's a very personal choice), and I opted to change the crankset from a 48/38/28 triple to a 52/36 double. At my best, I enjoyed the looks from people when they realized that the fat guy in shorts and a t-shirt riding a 27lb (heavy) $180 bike was keeping up with everyone else... Don't get me wrong, at one point I had access to a Felt Z100, a $500 level bike, and it was like night and day. I immediately went from hitting 22-23 mph to being able to hit 30 on the flats.

I absolutely second everything that was said in the post, I just quoted that part because of personal giggles.
2020-01-07 7:23 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Kalispell, Montana
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Originally posted by HuntingTriathlete

Once you’ve got all that figured out then you can go and make a purchase of a more expensive bike. Trust me you can pass a person on a $5000 bike riding a $500 bike.

This. My strength, if I really have one, is the bike. My primary bike is a GMC Denali (made by Kent) from WalMart. The only upgrades I've made was to replace the bottom bracket (replaced the junky cone bearings with a sealed unit), the seat (that's a very personal choice), and I opted to change the crankset from a 48/38/28 triple to a 52/36 double. At my best, I enjoyed the looks from people when they realized that the fat guy in shorts and a t-shirt riding a 27lb (heavy) $180 bike was keeping up with everyone else... Don't get me wrong, at one point I had access to a Felt Z100, a $500 level bike, and it was like night and day. I immediately went from hitting 22-23 mph to being able to hit 30 on the flats.

I absolutely second everything that was said in the post, I just quoted that part because of personal giggles.

I'll second this. I used to work in a bike shop when I was in high school and college. While working there I built up the best bike I possibly could. This was back in the late 80's (I struggled admitting that). If I am being honest with myself, I think you could buy a similar bike nowadays for $500-1000, depending if it was new or used. I have no plans (never even considered) getting rid of it and suspect I will do pretty good compared to others on bikes 5X plus the cost. Our coach has some solid advice on this topic.
2020-01-07 8:04 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Hi Turtles,

Glad to be back for another year and to keep the rapport going with Turtles from previous years and looking forward to making some new acquaintances. As my user name indicates I'm in Australia so I'll be in the Off season when most of you are racing and vice versa.

I'm 62 years old and did my first tri in 2014. I'm the classic "Couch Potato" to Triathlete type but the real story is that I was working hard and long hours at a keyboard for many years. I was able to do 40 years worth of work in 30 years by working extra shifts, weekends, nights etc and I'm now retired. Last summer I did 4 fun tri's before my knee said enough. I'm yet to race this summer due to tearing a gluteal ligament and being unable to run. Only this week I resumed running (walk / run) and I may participate in a fun tri on Sunday but will walk most of the last leg.

I was really looking forward to racing this summer but the injury has really made me question my goals and future in the sport. The timing was also terrible as most of my support (Physio, Trainers, Training Squad and this group) closed down for a couple of weeks over Christmas. I'm trying to focus on what I can do rather than what I can't do.

My goals are to loose 10 KG (25 lbs), Complete 4 events this Summer and run a 10 KM race in July.

On a personal note I'm married with 2 adult sons. We're "empty nesters" at the moment but the boys sometimes move back home briefly.

Other interests include golf and movies.

Any Beginner Triathletes looking for a Forum Group should seriously consider joining here for a supportive and encouraging environment.
2020-01-08 8:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rod, glad that you are starting to be able to get back at it. Remember you don’t have to give up the sport with issues you some times have to adjust your expectations and understand what can’t be. I always think of Bill with this. He has every reason to stop everything and almost everyone would understand but he has accepted what it is and stays active doing what he can.

So I made the decision today to switch from the Full Marathon to the Half next weekend. I could do the full but I’d be miserable the last 8 to 10 miles and my recovery time would be fairly long. With making the last minute decision to do Galveston 70.3 on 4/5 I don’t want to loose that training time. I also do this race to raise funds for Special Olympics and it is just the wife and I for 2 nights in Downtown Houston for good meals and cold beverages.

2020-01-08 9:42 PM
in reply to: #5265324

User image

My training schedule is blown this week. I'm not giving up... it's just not going as planned due to both illness and a crazy insomnia attack for 3 days so far... I know from experience that once I get rolling again that sleep will not be an issue (not as bad, at least).
I just gotta get thru this one...
2020-01-09 2:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

My training schedule is blown this week. I'm not giving up... it's just not going as planned due to both illness and a crazy insomnia attack for 3 days so far... I know from experience that once I get rolling again that sleep will not be an issue (not as bad, at least).
I just gotta get thru this one...

So funny that you say this because here I sit wide awake at 2:40 in the morning not really having sleep a full night in the past 4 days. I was wondering myself if it was because of me getting back to running each day and working out.
2020-01-09 8:57 AM
in reply to: #5265490

Blown weeks aren’t always bad. Sometimes grabbing a handful of brake and slowing down is needed. Don’t know where your at in your training but sometimes our body decides rest weeks are needed at a different time then our schedule shows. I try to use those times to refocus and make sure I’m prepared to fire back off on all cylinders when it’s time. Plus if your on any meds then the sleep issue maybe from that. I always have to remind myself not to try to make up what I missed when I have a time like that because I rather use that week to my advantage even if it feels like it was a step back. You will be fine once u get back rolling just got to find the groove that’s not lost just not the one your body wanted at the moment.
2020-01-09 10:24 AM

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

So funny that you say this because here I sit wide awake at 2:40 in the morning not really having sleep a full night in the past 4 days. I was wondering myself if it was because of me getting back to running each day and working out.

For myself it is the lack of exercise that brings it on.

Originally posted by Firechrs

Blown weeks aren’t always bad. Sometimes grabbing a handful of brake and slowing down is needed. Don’t know where your at in your training but sometimes our body decides rest weeks are needed at a different time then our schedule shows. I try to use those times to refocus and make sure I’m prepared to fire back off on all cylinders when it’s time. Plus if your on any meds then the sleep issue maybe from that. I always have to remind myself not to try to make up what I missed when I have a time like that because I rather use that week to my advantage even if it feels like it was a step back. You will be fine once u get back rolling just got to find the groove that’s not lost just not the one your body wanted at the moment.

Truth. Your first sentence is what I need to keep in my head. For all intents and purposes, I am starting at net zero again with my training.
2020-01-09 5:00 PM

User image

Kalispell, Montana
It's coming together Turtles!

I got my retro cassette today and the local bike shop had the spacers I needed to swap out that 11 speed cassette that came on my smart trainer and got a 7 speed on there that will match my ancient drive chain. Still need to get it going and calibrated, but I am pretty close to eliminating those miserable spin classes from my training.

Any of you on Zwift? I will be on it all winter. I will post my credentials when I get it all set up.

2020-01-10 6:46 AM
in reply to: RockHead

User image

Extreme Veteran
I was on Zwift for a little while and used a wahoo Kickr Snap. It is a very neat program, but with my junky internet access (cell hotspot) in the country it just wasn’t worth it. I think the other problem for me was that I had gotten in the routine of popping in a move and riding for the duration on a plain trainer. I think this made it hard for me to stare at the screen and just watch myself and others ride. That said if I had great internet I would still have it and probably would have loved it.
2020-01-12 12:18 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Hi Turtles,

I had hoped to be writing a race report today but I decided not to enter as I pulled up sore yesterday after a workout and that was enough of a warning to get myself right before racing. Given that there are 6 races in the next 12 weeks I'm not too upset but I've been looking forward to today's event for months as I did the same race last year and was hoping to better last years result. Guess I'll have to wait to 2021 for that comparison.

I had to train indoors a couple of days last week as we have a lot of smoke due to bush fires (wild fires). That's the least of the problems caused by fires as there has been lives lost and catastrophic property damage. The closest fire is hundreds of kilometres from my home so we are not in any danger.

The downtime I've had due to injury has provided the opportunity to reset my goals. I'm now focused on the next 12 weeks and have set goals on training, events and weight loss. I've also identified some runs later in the year that I hope to enter.

Hope everybody is enjoying their training.

2020-01-12 10:54 AM
in reply to: #5265495

User image

Rod...you made a wise decision; no need to risk further injury since more opportunities are available in the near future. Frankly all I’m doing is “training”...;0)

Have kept an eye on the news about those fires; terrible! Glad you and family are out of harms way.....

Well....I finally did it!!!! Got my butt back on the bike/trainer this am! Nothing too serious....easy gearing....now to see how my butt feels in the am!!
2020-01-13 9:18 AM

User image

I'm with Bill. Better to save yourself especially since your season still has a good number of events.
2020-01-13 10:54 PM
in reply to: #5265643

User image

Mixed night. Training run (couch to 5k-type) followed by weights. Got a basic total body dumbbell program, but since my legs are getting used daily (not to mention swelling at work), I'm concentrating on upper body/core. Wiped out, ready for bed and going to try to be up early enough to swim.

2020-01-14 10:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Kalispell, Montana

I'm with Bill. Better to save yourself especially since your season still has a good number of events.

For sure. You will be twice as ready for the next one. I am going to try a Zwift ride this evening. Just a short one to make sure everything is working. I am 'Kali Tom' on Zwift (I know, not very creative).

Have any of you done research or used bolt on aero bars for your bike. Any recommendations? I think that is going to be my next purchase followed by a new pair of cycling shoes (my current shoes are the same vintage as my bike!). Have a great week Turtles!

Forgot to mention to our coach, a few years ago I spent a year in the oil fields of North Dakota. On one of my projects we used a Verizon Jet Pack for internet service. Western North Dakota is very remote (even in Montana standards) and that little jet pack was able to stream movies over Netflix. Something to consider for poor internet in the country. The trade off is it cost about $30/month for unlimited data.

Edited by RockHead 2020-01-14 11:01 AM
2020-01-16 7:22 PM

That time you know swimming is a weak point. Then there is only one lane open and there’s two people in it already and they say jump in with them. You realize they are fast so you tell yourself don’t be stupid and look like your drowning. I got in and took off again realizing I’m in trouble as they kick flip the wall so I swim hard and fast for about 200 yards and realize idiot start your watch. It was nice to catch one and he let me swim on his feet so that was cool to do that for once. I got a long ways to go but I did feel better about my sinking legs today at-least I wasn’t the example of how not to swim for the swim lesson kids.
2020-01-17 3:15 PM

User image

Kalispell, Montana
I hear you on the swim. I am in the same boat. I purposely do not push off the wall very hard, nor will I practice flip turns. I figure there are no walls to push off in the middle of a lake. I need to make sure I can do the total distance with no assistance.

Have a great week Turtles!
2020-01-17 6:22 PM
in reply to: RockHead

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sorry guys been busy at work and with life.

Smart decision to skip the race. I don’t do much of anything the week of a race other than just enough to stay activate. For example this week I think I’ve done 3 runs and did not go to the gym gym at all for functional Strength training. I’ve just always been afraid of being sore or tweaking something the week of a race. Like I said I do some stuff but nothing long or strenuous. I once had a person tell me that no real gains are going to be had the week of a race and it made sense to me. Not that you did, just how I approach race week.

I’m not a bad swimmer but i also don’t really like sharing a lane. I can not flutter kick for any length of time and then my legs sink too. I have found that for me a scissor kick keeps me straight and give me at
Little extra, but it certainly isn’t made for sharing a lane. I once had a buddy tease me about how ugly and goofy I swim but just as quickly had to admit that I lapped him and swam my half Ironman almost 8 minutes fast than him and he does everything right. I joined masters swim and after five workouts and her working with me she told me to just go back to the old way because it was faster, go figure.

We have Verizon mifi and another Verizon down here and only one worked and it cost more and was no faster than my ATT HotSpot.

Well my Half Marathon is Sunday and I know I’m no where close to where I wanted to be but also know I can finish healthy and with a smile. I look forward to this race as a long training run but more so a weekend with just the wife for some fun and alone time. This will be my third time for this race and am always amazed at how they manage to get over 24,000 in and out on race day. We stay in a hotel downtown so I just walk to the start which makes it pretty stress free. Add to that that I run for a reason (Special Olympics), which allows me and the many other fundraisers our own set of toilets with basically no wait at all, which also takes away stress (I have a sketchy / excitable) stomach in the mornings. Now the new thing I can’t change is the 40 degree temp, but last year it was 30 at race start so not as bad. I know some are saying 40 that’s perfect but not for me, I’d rather it be 80 to 90 than 40. I’ll try to post some pictures and keep y’all updated.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd’s Tri Turtles 8 (Beginner, 5K, 10K, Sprint, Whatever) Rss Feed  

of 9