Ironman North America
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 12h 45m 40s
Overall Rank = 831/
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 99/201
Pre-race routine:

WARNING: Long Rambling race report full of spelling errors!

I think this all starts Thursday afternoon as my wife and I arrive in Madison and promptly get lost after missing the turn into Monona terrece off of John Nolen. Eventually we made it, but after registration was closed. We then decided to find our hotel (Baymont INN) which was about 10 miles away. We then went and got some dinner at Chins fresh grill. The food was awesome, but I probably should have stayed away from the curry because it burnned the next day. We walked up the street to Fleet Feet and bought some gels (cheepest in town at $1 and no tax). After that it was back to the hotel for some TV and Bed.
Friday woke up at about 5am went and got some coffee and breakfast in the hotel (great continental breakfast). Eventually got my wife out of bed and we made our way to Monona for a swim. Got in the water and swam on loop of course. I was not happy with the swim at all. Every time i keep good form and rolled my body I got sea sick. When I got out I ran into Lar Dog and BadgerIronman and talked with them for a little while. From there it was off to the the terrace for registration. I was 4th in line and made it through in about 10min. After registration we walked around inside out sports and bought some memorabila.
Back to the hotel and an hour nap before I got on my bike and went for about a 45min ride followed by a 12min T-run. Took another nap and then headed out to the banquet dinner at Monona Terrace. I managed to find fellow BT's and sat between BaderIronman and O2BeFast and across from possum our support. The food was good and I was kept very intertained by Possum who was tracking all the sexists comments Mike Riely said. When the meeting started so did my nerves. When the meeting was finaly over I was ready for bed.
Up Saturday morning at 5 and had my breakfast and coffee before we headed down to check in the bike and transition bags. As we walked outside I realized it was going to be cold on Sunday and I didn't bring arm warmers or a long sleeve jersey for the bike. I went to Fleet Feet and 2 bike stores all of which were sold out of arm warmers. Luckily, Mike (BaderIronman) saved the day and offered his extra arm warmers to use (I owe you huge). As I walked my bike through the longest transition I have ever seen (it felt like a mile of bike racks) I realy started to get nervous. We then walked around the expo and headed out to explore the Farmers Market and State street. Went into the cheese shop and bought some cheese and signed the book. Then headed back to the expo to by some more memorabila (I dropped way too much money) All that being done, we headed back to the hotel for nap time.
After my nap we rented the DaVinci Code (for $12) and I sleep through half of that. Then off to Pannera for my pre race dinner of roast beef sandwich and broccoli cheese soup in a bread bowl. Back at the hotel I packed my special needs bags, made my breakfast (2 peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches) and got all my bottles filled and put in the fridge. Off to bed and dreams of being and Ironman.
Woke up at about 3am (an hour before my alarm) made coffee (gotta get the bowles moving) and ate one of my sandwiches. Margaret finally got up around 4:15 and we got ready to leave. We parked at the Allient Center and took the shutle over.

Event warmup:

Droped off SN bags and went to body markings. Walked to bike to put on bottles, bento box and pump up tires. I borrow a pump and get tires to good pressure and put on my bottles. I walk to find Mike to get those arm warmers (thanks again) and go put them in my transition bag. I go back to my bike to finish up everything needed. I then in horror realize I forgot my Bento box and all the gels and bars for my bike nutrition. At this point I am completely freaking out and run to find my wife. She calms me down and leads me into the insideout expo and buys me a new bento box, gels and bars. Well the crisis was fixed, but at this point my blood preasure and pulse are through the roof. Once the box is on the bike I needed to start making my way down to the water and get my wet suit on.
Swim
  • 1h 09m 45s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

This would be my first time swimming 2.4 miles!

I found BadgerIronman near the entrance to the water and went in with him to find a good start location. After about 10min, I lost him and headed over toward the ski jump. I ended up starting just right of the ski jump and about 10 yards back. I was having some serrious doubts about my swim fittness at this point and was glad when the National Anthem started and took my mind off what I was about to attempt.

My start location was great. I got beatup for the first 200m or so, but then had lots of room. Just like the swim on Friday, every time I rotated my body I felt sick so I planed out and swam like I was on surf board. At about 3/4 of the way to the first turn I was at the bouy line and still managed to have plenty of space (this was problably the last time I can say that until the second lap). When we hit the bouy turn I had my goggles kick off and ended up going vertical. The coolest thing happened, I was pulled around the bouy by the current while fixing my goggles. I don't think I lost any time because of current pulling me. The traffic picked up big time and was constantly fighting to get some space. I made the second turn and was beat up by the waves for the entire back stretch. Several times when I went to take a breath a wave would crash into my mouth (I probably took in a good 16oz over the whole swim). For some reason, the crowds didn't thin out and I suffered several punches and kicks. Because of the waves it was imposible for me to stay smooth. We rounded the third bouy and once again got beat to a pulp. Round to the front side again and was able to again be smooth and get some space. Same story for the second loop except on the back stretch I was drafting a guy and the bouy line was about 10 meters on our left, after about 10 min the line was 5 meters to the right. I got off his feet and went it alone and wasn't much better on my own. Comming in to the exit felt great to know I was done with one event and on my way to becomming an Ironman.
What would you do differently?:

I thought even for the conditions I was capable of a 1:05 swim so I was a little disappointed with my time. I would find better feet to draft and navigate for me.
Transition 1
  • 09m 13s
Comments:

I hated running up the parking spiral. I wanted to walk, but everyone was running so I figured I better keep running. I got into the room and it was a complete disaster. I didn't get a volunteer so I was fumbling around with my stuff trying to get dry to put jersey, arm warmers and socks on. When I did eventually get my stuff on I had to jam everything else back into the bag which others had someone do for them. I headed out down the mile of bikes to mine and ran to the mount line where I got on and racked myself becuse i missed my cleat.

Find a helper and let them help me!
Bike
  • 6h 17m 26s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Lets see, I came down the spiral hit John Nolen and lost my straw for my Aero-bottle. This just let me know how rough this day would be. So now I am off and it is starting to rain so I pull up the arm warmers (thanks again Mike) and let the sufferring begin. I was cold for the remainder of the ride. The first loop felt good and I probably went out a little to fast.

My nutrition was good. Being that I am 220lbs I wanted to make sure I was getting enough calories. After the first half hour or so of just water, I shifted to my rotation of gu, gu, 1/2 powerbar, gu every 15min. Because of the cold wet conditions, I wasn't worried about my electrolytes so I didn't take and endourlytes, just relied on gatoraid and gu.

The second lap was like everyone says a lot more difficult. Hills that on the first lap I flew up, I was now slogging up. I took my first potty break in Mt. Horeb. I needed to go #2 so I waited for the porta potty and know I lost some major time here. Back on the bike 4min later I felt great and was able to make back some of the time. Well on the first loop I spun all the hills and never needed to get out of the saddle, the second time I found myself standing on all the climbs (If I do this course again I will get more gearing or compact cranks). In Verona I took my second break but this time got in and out a little faster. I headed back towards Madison and struggled with the headwind all the way back into town.

I was disappointed with my time. I truly thought I would ride a sub 6 hour race. Oh and then they make you ride up the spiral at the end of 112 miles (not nice).

Wear tights and a rain jacket. Not take a 5min bathroom break, find a shorter line. I lost a lot of time in the turns due to wet conditions, if I imporve my bike handeling, I might have saved some time.
Transition 2
  • 09m 21s
Comments:

I was thankfull that I didn't have to run all the way back to my spot to rack the bike (thanks). I got in, again the room was packed with people and no help for me :( I changed my socks and shoes, dried off and grabed my hat. Then I got to talking to the guy next to me (Marcus) and we both had the same feeling; do we realy want to go back out in the cold rain and run a marathon? Eventually, Marcus and I made it out the door and started to do the Ironman Shuffle.

Get my butt out of transition when I was dressed! Even if I was walking I would be moving forward (keep moving forward)!
Run
  • 4h 59m 55s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I actually ran fairly well for the first six miles or so. I walked the aid stations and ran in between. First aid stations I took water and gatoraid only. At about mile 5 I started to mix in some Gu and lots of fruit. I didn't think I would be able to drink the coke so I just passed it by.

When we hit the campus section, I couldn't believe the hill we had to go up (notice I didn't say run). Well after the hill we head to State street which was awsome. They had live bands, people everywhere and the headhunters had a great aid station. This was also where the bathroom breaks started. I lost Marcus at this point because I was using the bathroom at every aid station.

By this point, the rain was picking up and it was getting even colder. I didn't think it possible to be cold while running a marathon (I was wrong). This section on the bike path is horrible, but they made it a little better by putting music and signs everywhere, but I was so cold I couldn't even read.

I headed back into town and managed to meet back up with Marcus again which made that trip more enjoyable. It was at this point that I tried the coke and cursed myself for not trying it before this point. Now every aid station went gatoraid, coke, water, bathroom. Then it happened, I could see the capital in the distance and knew the halfway point was comming. I started to think about finishing and how it was going to feel running this the second time through. This is the point when I realized that the entire last mile is up hill! I hit the halfway about 2:15!

Got to the special needs bag, saw my wife and parents and the only thing I took out was my extra strength Tyelonl. I was in a lot of pain by this point (knees, hips, feet). As I started back out a guy taking pictures looks at me and says "your one big ass Ironman" Thanks jackass, my body could feel that much!

It is hard to keep running when you hurt all over and you know you can finish by walking it in. The shuffle became more walking and any incline became a hill to walk. The one benifit to this was that I could run harder and faster when I did run. This was also the point I started the Broth. This stuff was amazing!! It was warm and salty and I cursed those aid stations without it! Now the aid stations coke, Broth, water. The bathroom breaks stoped and I was on my way. So I thought running through Camp Randle would be neat, the first time it was. The second time I felt like high school football all over again where I just wanted to cut all the corners.

Well by the time I hit the campus for the second time it was dark and getting very cold! People were wearing garbage bags, winter coats, and other assorted warm items. I was hurting bad, and if it hadn't been for possum at the state street aid station, I think I might have walked the rest of the way in. Thanks to her distraction and encouragement, I was able to run walk for most of the last 6 miles or so.

Well I made it to mile 21 and I meet up with Scott who was shuffling at a similar pace. He however had his wife running with him. I know this is against the rules, but it made me laugh more than anything. You know that overly positive super hyper personality type, this was her. She didn't shut up for 4 miles, she just talked so loud and shouted encouragement at me and her husband that you could help but be annoyed into running.

At about mile 24 Scott's super fan left us to go watch the finish and we decided to run the last 2.6 miles. Remember when I said the last mile is up hill, yeah this is where it hurt. We passed aid stations and keep on getting faster. Then I saw the capital and it was at this point that everyone says all your pain goes away, THEY LIED TO ME! Every step in the last mile hurt more than the last. We ran from mile 25 to the finish in under 10 min! I don't think I ran a mile that fast other than the last 1.2 miles. We got to the end and I decided I wanted the good photo so I slowed. Scott went ahead, I looked behind and a women was sprinting so I let her pass (in my head I triped her), and got my tape break photo arms up and all and in sub 5hr marathon time (this was my first marathon).
And then what I had wanted to hear for years......

wait for it

wait for it

MIKE YOU SUCK!!!! He never said Ryan Dannhorn you are an IRONMAN!
I am over it, now, but I tell you what I was MAD as hell at the time!

Start the coke earlier! Not take in so much fluid. Wear tights and a rain coat!
Post race
Warm down:

The "catcher" walked me to get my finisher stuff and asked what I needed. I wanted two things "warm" and "food" He laughed and showed me the food tent where I ate an entire pizza. I then walked into the terrace to find my wife and parents.

Once I was changed and picked up my bags, I went and got my message and tried to warm up. I wanted to stay and watch the rest of the finishers, but I was sooo cold and my pregnant wife was frezzing and ready for bed, so off to get my stuff and head for the bus.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

cold, wet weather, and lack of training. In the future I will get more speed work in and be ready for any weather.

Overall, I was happy to finish, go sub 13hrs, and run a sub 5hr marathon. I was disappointed with my swim and bike time and believe next time I can go sup 12hrs.

Event comments:

This is an amazing event and I can see why it sells out so quickly!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-05-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:09:45 | 4224 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/201
Overall: 420/
Performance: Average
Suit: QR sleeveless
Course: 2 loop rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 09:13
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
06:17:26 | 112 miles | 17.80 mile/hr
Overall: 510/
Wind: Some
Course: road out to loop full of turns and low speed areas followed by 2 hilly loops and then back in.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 09:21
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:59:55 | 26.2 miles | 11m 27s  min/mile
Overall: 0/
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-21 9:02 AM

User image

Expert
Mt. Morris, IL
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2006-09-21 10:26 AM
in reply to: #547705

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin

damn, brother, ot took WAY too long for this report!  You need to do some speed work on your RR's for next time

On the other hand,

RYAN DANNHORN!  YOU BE AN IRONMAN! 

2006-09-21 11:19 AM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Great RR! Congrats IRONMAN!

Abbie
2006-09-21 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Great times, great race, and you truly earned the Ironman shout-out, Ryan D.

Way to run your first marathon...holy smokes, that was brave. 

2006-09-22 8:38 AM
in reply to: #547839

User image

Expert
Mt. Morris, IL
possum - 2006-09-21 9:26 AM

damn, brother, ot took WAY too long for this report!  You need to do some speed work on your RR's for next time

I was so far behind with work that I needed to dig out before I could write the report. 

2006-11-03 12:52 PM
in reply to: #548823

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Here's a very belated congratulations and YOU ARE AN IRONMAN

2006-11-03 12:55 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
CONGRATS Mr. IRONMAN!!!!
2006-11-03 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia
Congratulations Ironman, Ryan Dannhorn.  Your perciverance and drive to finish was very impressive.
2006-11-14 6:57 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Awesome RR Very Inspiring IRONMAN!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed