Logan, Utah
United States
On Hill Events
Total Time = 1h 23m
Overall Rank = 3/8
Age Group = TEAM
Age Group Rank = 3/8
Pre-race routine:

Dad swam for us. At age 63 this is probably the only race I will every do with him. He loves to swim and cycle, but I have never seen him run and doubt he will take up any sport. Much less Triathlon
Swim
  • 19m 54s
  • 500 meters
  • 03m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

Dad was the slowest swim of the day out of all the team and individuals. It was great to see him in the race though. He may not have been fast and may not have been racing, but he was NOT the weakest swimmer in the pool. I saw many people walking along the bottom, one with a shark snorkel, etc. Dad swam the who way with out any trouble and with out stopping.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

We were about 1 minute on the T1. It looks like that put us #2 out of the 8 teams.
Bike
  • 44m 52s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 16.72 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 00m 14s
Comments:

Note: we had two more male age group kills on the T2
Run
  • 18m 9s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 05m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

I had my right shoe lace come undone about 3 minutes into the run. It took about 3-5 seconds to retie, but I also broke my pace and had to start out slow and build back up to speed. My goal was to not kill myself for a PR but to achieve a controlled sub 18:00 time. Pacing was pretty good, but the shoe through me off and I probably should have take a hair off the 1/2 mile and push a little harder through mile 2.
What would you do differently?:

see above
Post race
Warm down:

I got a drink of water then grabbed my back and hit the parking lot to get back to my family reunion at Camp Early 20 minutes away.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was breathing quite hard which would have been due to the altitude. My pre-race nutrition was not timed well either, but over for a goal of running at a 17:55-17:59 I would pretty much spot on considering the shoe problem. With an altitude adjustment I am sure I was at a sum 18:00 effort. I didn't need to go faster but if I had needed to I would have to dig deep at for the last 1.1 miles.

Event comments:

This race is a small local race and was laid back in that there were not assigned order for the swim start, bot electronic timing, no assigned bike locations, no one monitoring who was entering or exiting the Transition areas, no one monitoring who was doing what leg for the teams etc. The event offer the sprint distance and a double sprint which ran the race twice. 2-3 man teams were allowed. Since I was doing this as a non competitive race to do with family I wanted to do a 6 man relay on the double sprint format. There was really nothing that would have prevented us from doing a 6 man team. They had no idea who was doing what on the course. You just yelled out your race number as you went through transition and they punched it into the timing computer. One 55 year old was listed with a 14 min 20 second run time. I am pretty sure he quite early on the run or turned around early by mistake. There was no one recording numbers at the turn around for the bike or run so really this was an event for fun, but not meant to be for serious competition. I enjoyed the event and if I was local would do it every year. Love that it is NOT on Sunday since I don't race on Sundays for religious reasons.

Last updated: 2015-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:54 | 500 meters | 03m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/8
Overall: 8/8
Performance: Below average
Suit: Drag suit
Course: Snake through 50 meter pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:52 | 12.5 miles | 16.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 3/8
Performance:
Micheal really smashed the ride. I don't think he has been on a bike for a very long time considering that he had to pull his bike out of storage to bring to the race. He was on a mountain bike with no aero anything and loose running cloths. I am not sure that I would have been able to faster on a mountain bike. Oh...and he counted for 16 kills against the open males and 5 out of the 7 team entries.
Wind:
Course: It was an out and back, but that is about all I know.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:14
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:18:09 | 03.1 miles | 05m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 2/8
Performance: Good
Course: This was an out and back. THe first 5 minutes were on the road then we went on to a narrow dirt path along a river for 4 minutes.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes