United States
Applied Race Management
33F / 1C
Total Time = 36m 41s
Overall Rank = 127/220
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 10/21
Pre-race routine:

We got there nice and early like I like to even though I wasn't planning on doing a warm-up. Got our bibs and sat in the car and people watched until 1:30, then headed to the restrooms and then to do a little stretching, etc. Naturally I found a couple people I knew and was chatting with them.
Event warmup:

Stretching in the chapel lobby. Everyone stayed inside until 5 minutes before the start, then headed out. It was 33*F but the wind was 17 mph and had the wind chill at 22. People were NOT happy the race started 3 minutes late! It was near anarchy ;) OK, maybe not, but there sure was a lot of grousing. People were cold and wanted to get moving. It made me think of the race we do in WV sometimes that generally starts about 10 minutes late, LOL.
Run
  • 00m
  • 5 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

Wore my old shoes in expectation of it being wet with snow melt but there weren't nearly as many puddles as expected. Temp was right around freezing, so it was best to be mindful of any wet-looking spots. We stayed until after the awards and the temp dropped just enough that everything that had melted was now ice.

Kept it on the training-pace side of things since my lungs/breathing aren't quite back to normal yet. I was happy with how it went, those things considered. They changed the route AGAIN. Slightly, always slightly. As you may notice, the 5K was that and a bit extra (3.32). A fair amount of people were complaining about that, especially the 10K-ers, their distance was 6.6 and change.

There was this awesome little girl who was showing such positivity and support for racers around her, I had to seek her and her parents out after the race, force myself out of my shy/introvert bubble and commend her for her sportsmanship. Her dad was there with her and he seemed very glad/proud to hear of his daughter's positive behavior.

I almost missed one of the turns for the re-route. There wasn't a person at the turn/intersection anymore but a little sign and the sign made it look like we should turn left, yet most people were going straight. I asked the lady next to me if we are supposed to turn and she felt we weren't, so I stayed with her. I think ultimately it wouldn't matter because I think it was just running around the block?

My watch vibrated at 3 miles when we were still well within the development and I thought, "That was too soon, this is going to be long." It was.

My husband (who snagged a 2nd AG spot) said when he came across the finish they were mucking around with the timing clock. Perhaps that explains my 3 different times:
gun time: 36:55
chip time: 36:29
my Garmin time: 36:41
W.T.F.?!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, really. I did what I set out to do, just keep a steady but somewhat casual pace. It was fun to do a race without pushing into the red!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked directly to the car to get a cough drop to help prevent a coughing fit. Naturally this clashed with my post-race soup! Soup was still good, though.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Recovering from being sick and being overweight.

Event comments:

I really enjoy this race but I wish they'd quit micro-adjusting the course. The soup at the end is still the best thing about the event!

Last updated: 2019-12-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 05 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 10/21
Overall: 127/220
Performance: Good
Course: Changed yet again, slightly. Better in some ways (no out and back) but worse (poorly marked at one spot and long)
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?