Other Resources The Political Joe » Corona virus Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2020-01-28 11:11 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Corona virus
Markets erased ytd gains yesterday attributed to a potential pandemic according to some analysts. Seem like hype fo me but maybe I’m just naive? I’m gonna drive 12 oz doses of Corona to build up my immunity.

2020-01-28 12:40 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Corona virus

250,000-600,000+ deaths, worldwide, each year from the flu.......just saying.....before you go building your immunity up on that Mexican swill.

2020-01-28 1:36 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Excuse my naivete, but I don't understand how the coronavirus outbreak affects the stock market.  Can anyone explain?  ELI5, please.

2020-01-28 1:44 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pro

Everything that becomes a "crisis" can affect the stock market.....especially short term.  If you notice, most of the losses from yesterday are being gained back today.

The market doesn't like uncertainty.  Less travel, so less fuel, less tourists, less commerce.....airlines, hotels, etc. etc. all stand to lose money, foreign markets panic as well.....not to mention the uncertainty of what else will be affected.  Bottom line, as the "threat" of the terrible Beer virus stabilizes, so will the market....and then continue it's run.

Worst thing you can do when you see a tumble like that is panic.  If you want to do something, buy into some mutual funds who lost 2 or 3% ....you'll likely get that in gains within a few weeks....if not days.

2020-01-28 2:44 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Left Brain

Everything that becomes a "crisis" can affect the stock market.....especially short term.  If you notice, most of the losses from yesterday are being gained back today.

The market doesn't like uncertainty.  Less travel, so less fuel, less tourists, less commerce.....airlines, hotels, etc. etc. all stand to lose money, foreign markets panic as well.....not to mention the uncertainty of what else will be affected.  Bottom line, as the "threat" of the terrible Beer virus stabilizes, so will the market....and then continue it's run.

Worst thing you can do when you see a tumble like that is panic.  If you want to do something, buy into some mutual funds who lost 2 or 3% ....you'll likely get that in gains within a few weeks....if not days.

Thanks for the clear explanation.  I don't intend to financially panic even though I saw some pretty big losses to my retirement accounts today and yesterday.  Like you said, it will even back out and I'm not retiring in a week, month, year, or even a decade, so it'll be OK. 

2020-01-28 2:50 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

I'll probably go to h3ll for repeating this joke but...Ya know what goes good with coronavirus?  Lyme disease!

2020-01-28 3:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

LOL  Heard that yesterday.

I'm close to retirement....maybe a couple years when we get the kids through college.  I have saved well and invested in the stock market, mostly through mutual funds, for over 30 years.....every chance I could I bought shares.  An old-timer told me years ago to look at my accounts every year or so.....and otherwise forget them.  I followed his advice and will easily have 7 figures, and it doesn't start with a 1, in those accounts when I retire.  Most years I never made more than 100G in salary....and the early years it was never more than 50G in salary.  Today I can  make 15-25G in a single day depending on the market.....my salary has nothing to do with it.  My retirement account made more last year than I was paid....much more.

You had no losses yesterday.  Use those days as timing to buy shares (which is what folks were doing today, which brought the rebound).....not to count losses.  Look at your account last year on this date....now tell me if you've gained or lost.

Edited by Left Brain 2020-01-28 3:07 PM
2020-02-12 9:36 AM

User image

DC

I'm close to retirement....maybe a couple years when we get the kids through college.  I have saved well and invested in the stock market, mostly through mutual funds, for over 30 years.....every chance I could I bought shares.  An old-timer told me years ago to look at my accounts every year or so.....and otherwise forget them.  I followed his advice and will easily have 7 figures, and it doesn't start with a 1, in those accounts when I retire.  Most years I never made more than 100G in salary....and the early years it was never more than 50G in salary.  Today I can  make 15-25G in a single day depending on the market.....my salary has nothing to do with it.  My retirement account made more last year than I was paid....much more.

You had no losses yesterday.  Use those days as timing to buy shares (which is what folks were doing today, which brought the rebound).....not to count losses.  Look at your account last year on this date....now tell me if you've gained or lost.

Our TSP yielded 28+% this year. Trump influence? (I don't think so.)
2020-02-12 4:16 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Porfirio

Our TSP yielded 28+% this year. Trump influence? (I don't think so.)
Oh ok.....did you watch the market response to all the deregulation and foreign trade issues? That didn't happen in a bubble.
2020-02-24 8:50 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Markets tank on corona virus fears - supply chains in peril as China locks down.

And this is why we need to build stuff in America do we are not so dependent on China.
2020-02-24 9:23 AM

User image

DC
Originally posted by Rogillio

Markets tank on corona virus fears - supply chains in peril as China locks down.

And this is why we need to build stuff in America do we are not so dependent on China.

Corona virus is fake news by the liberals.

2020-02-24 10:12 AM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by RogillioMarkets tank on corona virus fears - supply chains in peril as China locks down. And this is why we need to build stuff in America do we are not so dependent on China.
Corona virus is fake news by the liberals.
Nah.....the Liberals never come up with anything that good. This is likely real.
2020-02-26 9:22 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
I think China has hyped the corona virus to tank the stock markets to help Biden. :-)

50 cases in US out of 370m people. I guess I am not too concerned.
2020-02-26 11:04 AM

User image

Pro
The Democrats are already using it as Trump's latest "Waterloo". LMAO....they haven't been right yet....but bless their hearts for still trying.

Edited by Left Brain 2020-02-26 11:05 AM
2020-02-26 11:24 AM

User image

DC

I think China has hyped the corona virus to tank the stock markets to help Biden. :-)

Already asked in a different context: How would this help the Chinese/"democrats"? I'm a federal employee charged w/helping U.S. industries & my travel to China was cancelled a few weeks ago. "Democrats"?

Trying to understand how these ideas don't borderline conspiracy mentality.
2020-02-26 11:57 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Already asked in a different context: How would this help the Chinese/"democrats"? I'm a federal employee charged w/helping U.S. industries & my travel to China was cancelled a few weeks ago. "Democrats"?

Trying to understand how these ideas don't borderline conspiracy mentality.

The :-) was supposed to be an indication of tongue and cheek. But the theory would China wants Biden to win. Maybe they have the “goods” on him and could used that as leverage to get better trade deals. I know they don’t want 4 more years of the Trumpster! China is playing the long game. They just need to hold out till November. Just a theory but no more outlandish than the Trump/Russia tin hat theory.

On a more serious note, I don’t know how a virus is contained. Theoretically all it would take to propagate is 1 undiagnosed case and that person infects 2 and each of them 2 and before you know it the entire planet is infected.

2020-02-26 2:25 PM

User image

DC
Maybe they have the “goods” on him and could used that as leverage to get better trade deals.

Wait, but where does this theory come/arrive from? How again does this benefit the "democrats" aka "liberals"?

2020-02-26 9:14 PM

User image

Pro
Stand by as Pelosi and the Dems politicize the Carona virus......it's all they've got. I suppose it's to the point we shouldn't really expect anything else from these people....their party is in shambles.

Edited by Left Brain 2020-02-26 9:15 PM
2020-02-27 6:07 AM
in reply to: #5266422

User image

DC
I'm still not understanding why Pelosi or the "Dems" would want to politicize this. What's the benefit? This really does sound conspiracy theory worthy.
2020-02-27 7:24 AM

User image

Pro
I don't know why those idiots do anything they do. Are you trying to suggest they aren't? Are you trying to suggest that their only goal is something other than trying to discredit and remove the President? And you think the fact that they are is a conspiracy theory? Are you serious? Really, you CAN'T be serious.
2020-02-27 9:12 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I'm still not understanding why Pelosi or the "Dems" would want to politicize this. What's the benefit? This really does sound conspiracy theory worthy.

Dem will do and say anything to make Trump look bad/incompetent. They are never going to give the administration credit for anything. I watched MSNBC talking about the corona virus press briefing and they had to caveat what Trump said with “....Trump lies all the time and has zero credibility...”. CNN said basically the same thing. Schumer said 2.5b was not enough. Yeah, yeah let’s just throw money at the virus. How do we know $2.5b is not enough. Some say they need $8b. Based on what? Just watch as this gets very political. Just heard liberal (on Fox) say “Pence doesn’t believe in science”. She’s a nut. She said he doesn’t believe in man made climate change. Therefor he doesn’t believe in science. She said Pence said HIV infected people should pray...therefor he doesn’t believe in science. SMH. The two are not mutually exclusive! And yeah, your better pray because science has NEVER cured a virus...ever. Not polio, not chicken pox, MMR or even the common cold!

OT. Granny from the Beverly Hillbillies came up with a cure for a cold. It included frog guts and herbs and such. All you had to do is drink her concoction and in 7 to 10 days you’d be better.

2020-02-27 9:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The biggest problem is you need to put competent people in charge of this potential crisis.

For many reasons, some legit, some just because of flaws in Trumps character, he may not be putting the right people in charge

He had a guy testifying in the Senate yesterday who claimed Corona was not more lethal than the flu. Senators (Republican) obviously knew more than he did. And this guys is one in charge....ok....

By making the selection criteria a) you will be loyal to me b) you won't contradict me....he may not have the right people.

Edited by marcag 2020-02-27 9:48 AM
2020-02-27 9:48 AM

User image

Pro
Next talking point for the Dems..."Trump's economy is crashing!!!" LMAO
2020-02-27 9:55 AM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by marcagBy making the selection criteria a) you will be loyal to me b) you won't contradict me....he may not have the right people.
The idea that the only selection criteria is your a and b is ridiculous.......and there has never been a politician in the history of politics who didn't require loyalty from apointees. The notion that they haven't and this is just a Trump deal is even more ridiculous.

Edited by Left Brain 2020-02-27 9:56 AM
2020-02-27 9:58 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by marcag

The biggest problem is you need to put competent people in charge of this potential crisis.

For many reasons, some legit, some just because of flaws in Trumps character, he may not be putting the right people in charge

He had a guy testifying in the Senate yesterday who claimed Corona was not more lethal than the flu. Senators (Republican) obviously knew more than he did. And this guys is one in charge....ok....

By making the selection criteria a) you will be loyal to me b) you won't contradict me....he may not have the right people.

I just heard that some people who have it don’t have any symptoms. And then there are many people - like me, who don’t go to the doctor every time I feel sick. So in theory there why be 10x the number of cases. So now do the math and the lethality might in fact be much lower. Can’t really trust China on reporting. We have 50 confirmed cases in US an zero deaths so far.

One more thought. Who is to say the deaths would not have happened had they caught the seasonal flu?
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Corona virus Rss Feed  

of 7