Applied Race Management
46F / 8C
Overcast
Total Time = 31m 1s
Overall Rank = 112/215
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/17
Pre-race routine:

The typical - got to the race site around 1 (race starts at 2), went in to pick up bibs and look at the course map because the changed it again, surprise, surprise. It was long last time so an adjustment needed to be made for sure. Was torn about my shirt choice and since I brought a different one (slightly warmer 1/4 zip as opposed to LS tech), I changed. It was a tiny bit colder than I expected, but I'd probably have been fine with the regular LS.
Event warmup:

Sat in the car a bit, then headed to the ladies' room and then out to do a few easy laps on the track for a warm-up. Stretched, stayed outside for the start.
Run
  • 31m 1s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 12s  min/km
Comments:

Started out near a guy running with his dog. Well, I wasn't near them at the very start, but ended up getting shuffled to their proximity in the first half mile. The dog wasn't terrible, but it also wasn't behaved well enough to be in a race, IMO. It lunged/pulled toward (playfully and good naturedly) multiple runners, some of them being forced to slow or stop. I tried to keep adequate distance from them but in the process this did affect my pace and stride. Eventually he ran faster and wasn't an issue for me.

The first mile is usually at the top of a hill by a cemetery, and if I'm running 'slow', I will see the race leaders coming back at this point. I got past the cemetery and heading down the other side of the hill and didn't see them so I knew my pace was where I wanted it to be.

Nothing too remarkable until near the end. There was a much older guy walking, then running a little in the last .5 mile. As we neared the finish area, I thought, "I wonder if I can catch him" but he really turned it on and I was OK with that. Just as this was registering, I heard footsteps very close behind me and I knew it was a woman I just passed not too long ago. She turned on the speed, apparently. I pushed and tried so hard to not let her pass me but probably 75' from the finish line she passed me. I was 'dying', breathing so hard and raggedly (thanks, asthma!). I muttered a swear under my breath as she went past. EFP was there cheering me on but I didn't have anything left. Well, maybe if my life depended on it, but really, I was redlined.

I was really having trouble getting air. I collected my medal and kept right on moving through the finish area toward the parking lot, gasping, trying to get my lungs right.
What would you do differently?:

Completely avoid dog guy? Except he was in the line I wanted and initially at the pace I wanted. Trip the chick who passed me? Kidding, kidding, I'd never do that. I do suspect she may have been in my AG but I failed to get her number for result checking later. Maybe she was the third place chick, IDK.

Next time I will shoot to break 31 minutes, hopefully they don't change the course again.
Post race
Warm down:

Was having breathing issues for sure, so I walked around until it improved. EFP got my inhaler out of the car and I did a single hit as I walked around. Eventually after I recovered, we went inside for a drink of water and our soup. The soup was very good this time, better than last time. Drank and ate quickly so we could get to Funk E-town for our free beer and then get home to get cleaned up for the Bears game. No time to spare in that schedule!

EFP asked if he could collect his AG award next race since we had to bolt before awards began and they said yes. We found out later he won his AG!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight, lungs.

Event comments:

I race for soup!

Last updated: 2019-12-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:01 | 05 kms | 06m 12s  min/km
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 112/215
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking