Other Resources The Political Joe » How has coronavirus impacted you? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2020-03-13 8:28 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: How has coronavirus impacted you?
I’m not sick and don’t know anyone that is sick but this is how the coronavirus has impacted my life so far:

1. Like most of us, 401k has dropped. Of course there is only a paper loss unless I sell.

2. Had to cancel a planned 10 day Amtrak vacation. Planned to ride the rails from Atlanta to DC to Philly to NYC to Chicago and then back home. Yesterday they closed down all shows on Broadway which was on our agenda. My guess is lots of the stuff in DC will be closed and same for Philly and Chicago. Amtrak sent me an email saying I could cancel or postpone. Got $4k voucher not a refund though.

3. My son, who lives in Philly said the shelves were getting low but were restocked yesterday. He said “I am part of the problem though as I am stocking up on canned goods and such.”

4. Since train trip was cancelled we talked about driving to Disney for a few days but just saw the the Mouse House is closing down.

As far as stockpiling, I figure between the fridge, freezer, deep freeze and cupboards we have about a month’s worth of food. We also get 4-5 eggs per day. Have many squirrels on our place and always fish in the river. As things warm up I will plant a garden. Have 18,000 gallons of water in the backyard and we collect rainwater off the barn for the horses. A herd of deer occasionally comes thru our property too so I might have to “poach” a doe if things get ugly. :-).

2020-03-13 8:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: How has coronavirus impacted you?

My twins are home from college.

My son gets another year of scholarship for track season that was just cancelled....that saves him and us 20  grand or so...no complaints there.

I have to attend countless preparedness meetings that accomplish nothing because nobody can predict where this is headed.  We literally sometimes hear back to back "experts" with views/predictions that are polar opposites.

We have decided to commence a quarantine for my elderly mother-in-law.  She lives alone, very close to us, so it's doable.  From what I have read, and her medical history, contracting the virus would almost certainly kill her.

Did I mention the girls are home from college?

I have not looked at my retirement accounts, and have no plan to, until the markets get back to a level that makes me want to.

I have no reason to watch TV since sports are gone.

We have more food at home than we can eat in 6 months, including 2 freezers full of beef, deer, fish, ducks, geese, bacon, etc. (not stockpiled, just normal)  I can always kill more if we need to, but I can't imagine that happening.

My daughters are home from college......and I don't know how to get rid of them. 

Edited by Left Brain 2020-03-13 9:02 AM
2020-03-13 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Well, school is cancelled starting Monday, so I'll have my kids at home. Not a big deal since I'm self-employed, but people in my community are already organizing ways to help each other with childcare for working folks and shopping for the elderly. 

My kids sports are all cancelled for the time being, so I've got a lot of time on my hands now that I don't have to haul them to practices and meets all the time! 

My husband and I are both small business owners. He builds homes, mostly second homes in resort towns. I sell super expensive art. Both are luxury items, so I suspect we'll lose the majority of our income this year due to the stock market and economy. We had a banner year last year, and are fine to ride it out for a while though.

I also own a ski rental in Winter Park - so far haven't had any spring break cancellations, which is actually pretty surprising to me. 

My husband is building an affordable housing apartment complex down in Denver. I'm sure it will do quite well if the economy is sluggish for a while. Kind of glad we have that on the horizon instead of just luxury second homes! 

I live in a somewhat small town in the mountains outside of Denver. Hysteria hit us slowly - I was seeing pictures of empty toilet paper shelves elsewhere for a while, and mystified as our stores were completely stocked all last week. But people cleared everything out on Wednesday night, I think mostly because things were getting cancelled right and left and it was clear that if the schools cancel, we should all do our best to just stay in more.

Edited by Stacers 2020-03-13 9:09 AM
2020-03-13 9:15 AM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

Pro

Stacers - re: your comment on Spring Break.  The college kids have no fear of this.  They've seen the stats and they know it won't kill them, or even make them all that sick in most cases.  My kids all said the biggest parties of the year came with the school closing announcements, and waves of those kids are taking advantage  of cheap air fare to make a trip while school is shut down.  I can't convince mine to go, they won't leave while grandma is locked down.....pretty cool actually, but not for me.  LOL

2020-03-13 9:20 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Oh, I agree the college kids aren't super worried. Our place is a high-end 4-bedroom house, so most of our winter renters are in their 50s, coming from out of state with families to ski. My next renters are a bunch of 40-something overgrown frat boys who stayed last year and left us a lifetime supply of tequila when they checked out. I can't see them cancelling either...

2020-03-13 9:29 AM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

Pro

My wife and I were talking last night about all of the colleges closing down.  I certainly understand the idea behind it, since college dorms are basically germ factories, but it's kind of ironic that it wouldn't impact the kids any more then the common cold in most cases.....but the professors and the administrators making the decision to stay open or get away from the possible "carriers" is another thing altogether....they chose to save their own arses.  LOL

2020-03-13 1:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Left Brain

My wife and I were talking last night about all of the colleges closing down.  I certainly understand the idea behind it, since college dorms are basically germ factories, but it's kind of ironic that it wouldn't impact the kids any more then the common cold in most cases.....but the professors and the administrators making the decision to stay open or get away from the possible "carriers" is another thing altogether....they chose to save their own arses.  LOL

Lots of college kids work in restaurants, stores.....

I went for beers with a buddy. One bar which is typically younger crowd was full. The irish pub, that caters to a bit older : 0 patrons. Thursday nights are usually pretty busy.

How has it impacted me. My pool is next to an arena that they have turned into a testing center. Got to the pool, the shared parking was overflowing. Montreal has shut all pools, Ottawa still has them open but it's just a matter of time.

About 10 miles away they set up a drive through testing center. Pretty good idea.

Bank of Canada predicting the virus will die down by mid year (Say June 30). Two quarters of negative growth, technically a recession, the return to growth in the final quarter. Not hard to imagine this is applicable in the US.
2020-03-13 1:50 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag

Lots of college kids work in restaurants, stores..... I went for beers with a buddy. One bar which is typically younger crowd was full. The irish pub, that caters to a bit older : 0 patrons. Thursday nights are usually pretty busy. How has it impacted me. My pool is next to an arena that they have turned into a testing center. Got to the pool, the shared parking was overflowing. Montreal has shut all pools, Ottawa still has them open but it's just a matter of time. About 10 miles away they set up a drive through testing center. Pretty good idea. Bank of Canada predicting the virus will die down by mid year (Say June 30). Two quarters of negative growth, technically a recession, the return to growth in the final quarter. Not hard to imagine this is applicable in the US.

They are calling for die down here by the end of April.....so we may not see 2 quarters of negative growth.  That makes sense, since most of that is based on climate from what we've been told.

2020-03-13 2:12 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Lots of college kids work in restaurants, stores.....

I went for beers with a buddy. One bar which is typically younger crowd was full. The irish pub, that caters to a bit older : 0 patrons. Thursday nights are usually pretty busy.

How has it impacted me. My pool is next to an arena that they have turned into a testing center. Got to the pool, the shared parking was overflowing. Montreal has shut all pools, Ottawa still has them open but it's just a matter of time.

About 10 miles away they set up a drive through testing center. Pretty good idea.

Bank of Canada predicting the virus will die down by mid year (Say June 30). Two quarters of negative growth, technically a recession, the return to growth in the final quarter. Not hard to imagine this is applicable in the US.

Wow, I am surprised the pools have shut down. I would think the chlorine would kill the virus. And unles# you have to share a lane you are pretty much alone. :-)

2020-03-13 3:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

They are calling for die down here by the end of April.....so we may not see 2 quarters of negative growth.  That makes sense, since most of that is based on climate from what we've been told.

Some experts are "hoping" it will be better in warmer weather. But they don't know for sure and Fauci himself has said they don't know.

The good news is that Flu season will decrease and that will free up beds and resources.
2020-03-13 3:13 PM

User image

Pro

Some experts are "hoping" it will be better in warmer weather. But they don't know for sure and Fauci himself has said they don't know. The good news is that Flu season will decrease and that will free up beds and resources.

Yes, true.  Except there are folks who don't agree with Fauci. LOL   Actually, from my experiences this week.....none of these bastards can agree with each other.  HA!!

Edited by Left Brain 2020-03-13 3:14 PM

2020-03-13 3:19 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Schools will close down as of Monday. For 6 weeks. All sports cancelled. Races, gatherings, scouts... My sister is all up in arms about "bans" on gatherings of 250 or more affecting churches. So my 6-yr-old will be home for 6 weeks, and we're thinking it'll be about a week before she's crawling the walls. My wife is fielding the idea of taking a trip to maybe the Redwoods...

In my day-job employer of 100k+ folks, there have been 7 confirmed cases. General panic is the order of the day.

But the taekwondo dojang will still be open.

2020-03-13 3:57 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by briderdt

Schools will close down as of Monday. For 6 weeks. All sports cancelled. Races, gatherings, scouts... My sister is all up in arms about "bans" on gatherings of 250 or more affecting churches. So my 6-yr-old will be home for 6 weeks, and we're thinking it'll be about a week before she's crawling the walls. My wife is fielding the idea of taking a trip to maybe the Redwoods...

In my day-job employer of 100k+ folks, there have been 7 confirmed cases. General panic is the order of the day.

Love the idea of going to the Redwoods! Good for you. Turn this into an opportunity to make some family memories. Your kids will remember this “national catastrophe” and laugh and say “Ha, we went to the Redwood Forrest while everyone else hid under their bed! It was awesome”
2020-03-13 3:57 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Love the idea of going to the Redwoods! Good for you. Turn this into an opportunity to make some family memories. Your kids will remember this “national catastrophe” and laugh and say “Ha, we went to the Redwood Forrest while everyone else hid under their bed! It was awesome”
2020-03-13 4:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Some experts are "hoping" it will be better in warmer weather. But they don't know for sure and Fauci himself has said they don't know. The good news is that Flu season will decrease and that will free up beds and resources.

Yes, true.  Except there are folks who don't agree with Fauci. LOL   Actually, from my experiences this week.....none of these bastards can agree with each other.  HA!!

The theory also goes out the window in countries like Singapore and Australia.

We'll know in May :-)

2020-03-14 8:41 PM

User image

Bronze member

Drastic impact for my house. I teach second grade - school is out so I don't know what the heck I'm doing right now. I'm trying to put packets of work together since we are not 1:1 with technology. I'm getting really depressed as these packets of work are not what make my students want to write me notes about how they love school on the back of their math tests and tell me daily how they want to stay in second grade forever. I am fairly certain my 11 year old daughter and 13 year old son are NOT going to be writing me notes thanking me for being their teacher for the next few weeks.......

So yeah, I will be home with my son and daughter trying to keep them motivated to learn and keep their neighborhood friends a safe social distance away. 

My husband is a school admin. His phone does not stop chirping. 

I have not been to the store. Dollar General is 1/2 mile walk from my house. They just got in a truck load of toilet paper. We've got a freezer full of beef and some chicken. I finally let my 13 year old take the hunters safety course back in February. I'm sure he'd love to take his bow and arrow and get some rabbits for dinner!

None of us are currently sick but personally I know I am exposed to an abnormal amount of germs due to my job and feel I could be a carrier of any numerous things but not realize it. 

Edited by trigal38 2020-03-14 8:46 PM

2020-03-16 7:27 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

And now it's gotten worse. You've probably all seen it in the news. Governor has now banned all gatherings of 50 or more, and less than 50 only if they can prove compliance with certain sanitary guidelines. Bars, restaurants, all places of entertainment or recreational use are all closed. So much for the dojang.

2020-03-16 9:23 AM

User image

Pro

My wife sent out her morning greeting on the family group text this morning.  She left detailed instructions about where and how to use the cleaning products at the house.  My favorite was, "I put Clorox wipes on the counter.  These are for hard surfaces, but not the granite.  Use soap and water on the granite." 

Apparently, we don't want the coronavirus, but we REALLY don't want the granite to get forked up. 

2020-03-17 6:32 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
I think an area we are probably neglecting is grocery stores. Sooner or later almost everyone has to go to the grocery store wether they are infected of not. My daughter works as a bagger and has constant interaction with people all day long. They have started wearing gloves but they don’t change gloves for each customer. So should we all disinfect every thing we buy at the grocery store?

I think the experts are right. This is no way to contain this but theoretically we can slow it down.
2020-03-17 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Very tough situation for my parents who are both 88. My mother was scheduled to go into a memory unit today (long overdue) and my father was going to the assisted living facility at the same place. The new rules are they can have no visitors and my father will not be able to visit my mother, either. I'm not sure how this is going to work out. My brother and sister are local but I'm out of state. Miserable situation.
2020-03-17 9:33 AM
in reply to: nickster

User image

Pro

Originally posted by nickster Very tough situation for my parents who are both 88. My mother was scheduled to go into a memory unit today (long overdue) and my father was going to the assisted living facility at the same place. The new rules are they can have no visitors and my father will not be able to visit my mother, either. I'm not sure how this is going to work out. My brother and sister are local but I'm out of state. Miserable situation.

Yes it is.  My 87 year old mother-in-law lives near us and, for the most part, my wife spends most nights there.  She has anxiety issues since her husband died so we do all we can to mitigate that.  We have her isolated now, because she has prior lung issues and it's doubtful she could survive infection.  My wife got a call from her a few nights ago that was pretty disturbing......the isolation idea may not work out with her having meds readily available.  No easy answers.

2020-03-17 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Rogillio

I think an area we are probably neglecting is grocery stores. Sooner or later almost everyone has to go to the grocery store wether they are infected of not. My daughter works as a bagger and has constant interaction with people all day long. They have started wearing gloves but they don’t change gloves for each customer. So should we all disinfect every thing we buy at the grocery store?

I think the experts are right. This is no way to contain this but theoretically we can slow it down.

A store close by has a buy online, pickup at store. You pick all your stuff, you get a schedule dpickup time, you drive, don't get out of your car, you text a number and they bring your order out to you

You schedule your pickup and it's now 5 days out. Normally 1.

The solution to all this is drones :-)

2020-03-17 12:28 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Originally posted by Rogillio

A store close by has a buy online, pickup at store. You pick all your stuff, you get a schedule dpickup time, you drive, don't get out of your car, you text a number and they bring your order out to you

You schedule your pickup and it's now 5 days out. Normally 1.

The solution to all this is drones :-)

Ours is normally same day. Checked yesterday and the next available time is next Wednesday.
2020-03-19 4:31 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Just heard from my sister my 84 yo mother has 101.5 fever and a cough.
2020-03-20 4:41 PM

User image

Buttercup

The impact on  my life has been trivial, for the most part

• cancelled cocktail party with my friends/neighbors
  • cancelled May trip to Quebec City
  • cancelled April trip to Tampa for regatta
  • local college has closed, so I can't use their pool. I woke this morning to learn someone from the Athletic Dept tested positive and that put me a little on edge
  • my gym is closed; no big deal as I was going to cancel once ice/snow was gone from roads which it has
  • I wear mask and gloves when I shop for groceries (we were well provisioned before shelves started emptying, thanks to my years of hurricane prep habit) and I shop just once/week to minimize risk
  • we take our temp in the morning and at bedtime

My husband was DX with asthma last year; he is in high risk demographic so I worry about picking up the virus and giving it to him. Our plan is for him to limit contact to only me. If he gets antsy (he does), he can go for a drive but not get out of the car/interact with anyone.

Staying home is my jam, sheltering in place is my norm. I sowed 10 flats  of seed trays a month ago, so I've got plenty to occupy my time. Soil is *almost* workable. I've got lots of work to do in the garden.

My youngest sister lives in Bergamo, Italy with her family. She texted me a couple of days ago and said "tell everyone you know not to go outside without a mask." Things are brutal there, but fortunately she's been taking this seriously for some time now.

There are 135 ICU beds in the entire state of Maine. I read today that you are contagious before you have symptoms or fever.

Everyone knows by now that youngsters are susceptible to serious illness, too, right?  And no age group is exempt from being a carrier and transmitting to others.

Good luck, everyone. I hope you, your family, friends, and health care providers remain healthy.

Strange times.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » How has coronavirus impacted you? Rss Feed  

of 1