General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sandbag for core strength? Other proponents out there? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2020-03-17 4:14 PM

Subject: Sandbag for core strength? Other proponents out there?

I have a friend who is convinced that sandbag routines are the best way to build core strength and that they have a lower injury risk than free-bar weight-lifting like squats and deadlifts and kettlebell swings.  Routines available for free on YouTube (I don't have any URLs yet).  Very simple equipment required, too - maybe $100 bucks for a 30# sandbag.  

Does all this sound reasonable for focusing my strength training on sandbag routines?

2020-03-17 5:27 PM
in reply to: #5268520

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Sandbag for core strength? Other proponents out there?
I have no opinion on sandbag workouts, having never heard of them, but why would you pay $100 for a sandbag?!? Sand is $3-5 for 50# at a local hardware store.
2020-03-17 7:26 PM
in reply to: lombardi3g

Eastern North Dakota has 400,000 filled and ready to go in about 3 weeks. You could come here and hoist them all day if you wanted!! That is in addition to the 1.2 million bags stored in reserve. If the snow melt keeps going gradual, they may only need 500,000. Just a thought Take care!
2020-03-17 7:38 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

I don't use mine as much as I should, but I'm a fan. I'd say they're similar to kettlebells, with a little added stability work due to the sand shifting. In general you do compound movements with them. Less injury? I'd say they're about equal, anything heavy can be picked up wrong.

As far as the cost, your paying for the bag, a 50# bag of sand from the hardware store is usually packed tighter than you really want it, and wont last long before ripping. I did the DIY rout with a cheap gym bag and it didn't last long either. Then I saw they were throwing out some lage tool bags at work and grabbed one, perfect size and heavy weight canvas! Look around, you might be able to make your own for cheaper. The down side is that the handles may not be where you'd like them.
2020-03-17 7:47 PM
in reply to: lombardi3g

User image

I have a sandbag and used it a good bit for a while. My favorite core exercise with it was to do a straight arm plank and pull the bag under me from side to side.. Having said that, I don’t use it much any more. I find that core work hanging from a pull up bar or dip station works well enough. Or easier than that, leg raises, flutter kicks, Russian twists, etc on a flat bench are a good bang for your buck too.

I bought my sandbag cheap on amazon for like $15. An old duffle bag would work well if you have some other plastic bags duct taped up with sand in them. Get creative and save some money.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sandbag for core strength? Other proponents out there? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Average age grouper progression to Kona Qualification or Car accident footage for others

Started by xatefrogg
Views: 592 Posts: 1

2019-10-21 12:30 PM xatefrogg

Personal trainer to help with strength?

Started by triathlete_to_be
Views: 575 Posts: 7

2019-03-19 2:45 PM alltom1