General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's Your Favorite Virtual Training Tool that has a Social Element? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
What's Your Favorite Virtual Training Tool that has a Social Element?
OptionResults
Zwift6 Votes - [54.55%]
Sufferfest1 Votes - [9.09%]
TrainerRoad4 Votes - [36.36%]
Peloton0 Votes - [0%]
RowPro (rowing)0 Votes - [0%]
Burnalong0 Votes - [0%]
This is a multiple choice poll.

2020-03-25 12:24 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: What's Your Favorite Virtual Training Tool that has a Social Element?
There are lots of tools that measure performance or allow us to set a goal.
I want to hear about tools where two or more people can train at the same time and "see" the avatars of the other people.
It doesn't have to be swim, bike or run. It could be another sport you use to cross-train.

Vote for more than one and/or add your own...

2020-03-26 5:18 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: What's Your Favorite Virtual Training Tool that has a Social Element?
I'm voting for Sufferfest but didn't even know it had a social element.. almost every other person I know uses Zwift.
2020-03-26 5:51 PM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: What's Your Favorite Virtual Training Tool that has a Social Element?
It's not on the list but our treadmill came with a program called I-Fit. You run/bike through what appears to be Go-Pro footage of various courses around the world. (On some courses it's street view from Google Earth.) It's hooked to the treadmill (or exercise bike) controls so if you want, you can follow a trainer on-screen (for most workouts) or the incline changes of the course (for all) to run/walk/ride at the same speed or incline. You can also just enjoy the scenery and punch in your own speed and incline numbers to do your own workouts. There's an interactive component as you run/ride against a leaderboard and you can see/pass people who are doing the same workout live. (You don't have an avatar on the screen, though, you just advance/fall through the leaderboard in real time, as well as against others who have done the course recently and are already done.)

I actually don't like that feature. I've never really been interested in virtual competition or making workouts into races, and treadmill running just seems artificial to me anyway. The only aspect of I-fit I like is the ability to "run" through lots of stunning scenery, and in some cases chase the hot bod of a trainer! I've been trying to figure out a way to turn off the leaderboard and live results features, so far without success. But some people might enjoy this. I believe a year's subscription comes with many NordicTrack brand devices, and it can also be downloaded to use with any device (for a fee) on the App store or Google Play.
2020-03-27 5:32 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Definitely Zwift if you're talking real-time social interaction.  We almost pulled the trigger on a Peloton around Christmas, but decidied to hold off for a little while longer.  My VP has one and loves it, and she's not into social media at all.

I'd also include Strava as it's the Facebook of training apps, without (most ) of the drama.

2020-03-27 8:51 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

It's not on the list but our treadmill came with a program called I-Fit. You run/bike through what appears to be Go-Pro footage of various courses around the world. (On some courses it's street view from Google Earth.) It's hooked to the treadmill (or exercise bike) controls so if you want, you can follow a trainer on-screen (for most workouts) or the incline changes of the course (for all) to run/walk/ride at the same speed or incline. You can also just enjoy the scenery and punch in your own speed and incline numbers to do your own workouts. There's an interactive component as you run/ride against a leaderboard and you can see/pass people who are doing the same workout live. (You don't have an avatar on the screen, though, you just advance/fall through the leaderboard in real time, as well as against others who have done the course recently and are already done.)

I actually don't like that feature. I've never really been interested in virtual competition or making workouts into races, and treadmill running just seems artificial to me anyway. The only aspect of I-fit I like is the ability to "run" through lots of stunning scenery, and in some cases chase the hot bod of a trainer! I've been trying to figure out a way to turn off the leaderboard and live results features, so far without success. But some people might enjoy this. I believe a year's subscription comes with many NordicTrack brand devices, and it can also be downloaded to use with any device (for a fee) on the App store or Google Play.

I forgot all about iFIt - I have a newer NordicTrac that came with iFit that I've never used. Might check it out today..
2020-03-27 8:27 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
The virtual courses with I-fit are really nice. I don't know about the cycling ones but the run/walk/hike ones seem to be in hundreds of scenic spots on every continent. You can even run/hike in Antarctica and on Easter Island. They do tend toward shorter workouts (25-45 minute range) with some intensity, but if you look hard, there are some "advanced' ones up to 90 minute and even 2-hour runs. You can also do a playlist of shorter workouts and do them back to back, just putting in your own speed and incline numbers as desired, if needing to do a longer run. The workouts with trainers even give you information about the local environment, culture, and history, kind of like a guided running or hiking tour. Highly recommended. This is the ONLY thing I've ever found that makes treadmill running bearable.

2020-03-27 8:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sorry, double post. Technical issues!

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-03-27 8:29 PM
2020-04-09 1:30 PM

User image

thanks
2020-04-17 2:41 PM

User image

I like Trainer Road for the workouts and the new group feature is fun.

I don't like Zwift ... it's a good program - there's nothing wrong with it - I just don't like it. It's me ... not Zwift.

I've been using Rouvy for about 2 weeks - it lets you ride courses. I have been doing it with friends and you can race them. It's fun.
2020-04-20 2:12 AM

Originally posted by alltom1

I'm voting for Sufferfest but didn't even know it had a social element.. almost every other person I know uses Zwift.

is ok
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's Your Favorite Virtual Training Tool that has a Social Element? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Finish Line Friday. Let's see your favorite finish line pics

Started by BlueBoy26
Views: 363 Posts: 4

2020-03-23 10:27 AM BlueBoy26

03.16.2020 Social Distancing Monday Training

Started by BlueBoy26
Views: 292 Posts: 1

2020-03-16 3:37 PM BlueBoy26

01.07.2020 Tuesday Training - Post YOUR Training

Started by PigeonTri
Views: 453 Posts: 5

2020-01-08 6:49 AM jdwyer02

Training Enjoyment vs a Training Job

Started by scottficek
Views: 683 Posts: 6

2019-07-30 2:48 PM TriJayhawkRyan

Is a lsd run necessary in triathlon training?

Started by b2run
Views: 2450 Posts: 14

2020-01-04 2:37 AM miklcct