General Discussion Triathlon Talk » finding the right Bike saddle. Better online vendors for saddles? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2020-04-05 7:49 PM

Subject: finding the right Bike saddle. Better online vendors for saddles?

I had a $240 bike fit that concluded I needed a 130mm wide bike saddle.  As I have learned, this is just one feature of many to consider when selecting a new saddle.  My current saddle is 1-size wider and my fitter reasoned that it likely contributes to the slow recovery of my hip adductor after a strain and re-strain while running.  Comfort-wise my current saddle is not perfect but seems ok to me.

When shopping on-line (chain reaction) the width seems hidden and that the 130mm width is unusual.  REI has an excellent article on selecting saddles and seems to stress subjective fit over particular sizes.

It almost seems that you have to spend a $100 and just hope a new saddle will work for you.  Better online vendors?

2020-04-08 2:35 PM
in reply to: lombardi3g

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: finding the right Bike saddle. Better online vendors for saddles?

Yes, I think the subjective fit is the way to shop for saddles.  If you get a 130mm saddle and if isn't comfortable, then it isn't the right saddle for you.  As you already noted the width is just one of the multiple pieces to the puzzle so don't buy a saddle just because it had the width that your bike fitter recommended.  With most things you are better off to try them on before you buy them.  Some people will buy used on eBay and test them then resell on eBay. That way they can get the right fit and they aren't out anything You might check to see what the return policy is for the on-line vendors. If you can try in and then return it if it isn't right then the on-line option might not be too bad.   

2020-04-08 8:33 PM
in reply to: lombardi3g

User image

Seems odd that your fitter wouldn't have a test saddle of that width. Most places that do a lot of bike fits will send you home with a test saddle and let you try it out for a while before spending the coin on it.

One thing to keep in mind is that with split nose saddles, you can actually narrow the saddle some using zip ties to pull the two pieces together more. Something to think about if you have trouble finding that exact size. Going with a split nose and zip ties might give you some relief.
2020-04-09 8:45 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

I'm trying Competitive Cyclist - great online selection and good Chat session.  Hope I'm lucky.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » finding the right Bike saddle. Better online vendors for saddles? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Good price for used bike?

Started by thorneric21
Views: 650 Posts: 5

2020-02-10 9:58 AM reecealan

BT Online Coaching w auto-uploading?

Started by lombardi3g
Views: 393 Posts: 2

2019-12-14 4:59 PM marcag

Good Weight for a bike

Started by paulalucas
Views: 1008 Posts: 7