General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 30 minute cycling plans using a power meter? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2020-04-17 7:37 PM

Subject: 30 minute cycling plans using a power meter?

My current weekly plan is composed of balancing exercises and sandbag strength workouts with the culmination of my right knee rehab (at 95% of complete recovery now and I think I can do cycling workouts based on my FTP of 244 and that this would contribute to bringing the knee back to 100%).  But I would like the entire cycling workout to last only 30 minutes and be 3 times per week.  Would there be plans available to do this?  (BTW, the cycling would immediately precede the exercising and strength workout)

2020-04-17 10:06 PM
in reply to: lombardi3g

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: 30 minute cycling plans using a power meter?
Last year when I was coming back from an injury (broken elbow) I used the Beginner Cycling Program (free on this website) for a while. They start at 30 minutes (which was about all my arm could tolerate at first) and work up slowly from there.The workouts aren't necessarily power-based but they do mention intensity levels and you can adapt them if you have a guess as to your current FTP. (Mine was about 200 but after several weeks of forced inactivity before and after surgery, I put it back to 160 and then slowly progressed from there.) The workouts are more frequent than 3X a week (I think 5 or 6) but again, you could adapt them and just work more slowly through the progression. The program says "Beginner" but as a 50 year old woman my size (about 115 pounds) with an FTP of 200, it should be clear I'm NOT exactly a beginner (and cycling's my weakness). But I thought it was quite good for rehab and rebuilding fitness.

Or just do something more generic like 10 minutes warmup, 15 minutes at 70-75% alternating higher cadence/smaller gearing and lower cadence/bigger gear, 5 minutes cool down. I did a that at times if a particular workout didn't suit me. For a while I was unable to do big-gear riding on my own trainer due to the weird position I was using to keep weight off my arm, and I couldn't always get to a gym stationary to do those workouts.
2020-04-18 2:47 PM
in reply to: lombardi3g

User image

Extreme Veteran
3x30min of cycling is not going to bring much bike fitness
However if it's all you have, warm up for 10-15min and go the rest at 80% of FTP at 60 cadence. It will build strength. The low cadence and that specific power will mean very specific force that will recruit specific muscle fibre that will build strength.
2020-04-22 7:08 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Not sure if you use any programs for our indoor workouts, but Trainer Road has a time-crunched 30 minute plan out there.  Note though:  I've done a few of those shorter workouts and you will probably need a few more minutes to warm up and cool down.  Some of them have you hammering at like 4 minutes in and finishing your last interval with about a minute left in the 30 minute session. 

2020-04-22 8:12 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Not sure if you use any programs for our indoor workouts, but Trainer Road has a time-crunched 30 minute plan out there.  Note though:  I've done a few of those shorter workouts and you will probably need a few more minutes to warm up and cool down.  Some of them have you hammering at like 4 minutes in and finishing your last interval with about a minute left in the 30 minute session. 

I can see that.

30min is probably the time you need to do short intervals in a high intensity workout. For example 15x1min on, 1min off.
Yesterday I did 6x(3min on, 2min off) which is exact 30min of interval work. But I needed 20min warm up and 10min cool down.

At one point the value of a workout is mostly "load" which is time*intensity. If time is too short intensity has to be very high. Very high for a while is OK, will not be great long term.

To properly do "very high" you need a decent warm up and at least a bit of cool down.

2020-04-22 12:54 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I can see that. 30min is probably the time you need to do short intervals in a high intensity workout. For example 15x1min on, 1min off. Yesterday I did 6x(3min on, 2min off) which is exact 30min of interval work. But I needed 20min warm up and 10min cool down. At one point the value of a workout is mostly "load" which is time*intensity. If time is too short intensity has to be very high. Very high for a while is OK, will not be great long term. To properly do "very high" you need a decent warm up and at least a bit of cool down.

That's about what I need, too, when crushing myself like in a Zwift race or Jorge's evil 6 x4' @ 105% workout in the BT winter cycling plan.  For sweet spot stuff more like 10'/3-4'.  I am notoriously slow warmer upper...always have been.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 30 minute cycling plans using a power meter? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Good price for used bike?

Started by thorneric21
Views: 656 Posts: 5

2020-02-10 9:58 AM reecealan

Anyone use the Kinetic in ride watt meter

Started by CBarnes
Views: 790 Posts: 9

2019-09-25 10:20 AM CBarnes

Using Data

Started by Struck
Views: 542 Posts: 3