General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike building Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2020-04-29 6:27 AM

Massachusetts
Subject: Bike building
Hello Beginner triathleters.

I've been out of the triathlete loop for a bit but I still train as though.

Anyways i'm looking at building at building a Tri bike, and is it worth it. I found a frame brand new $400 full carbon still in the box couple years old. I guess it's a leftover. What's your opinion / thoughts ?

thanks

2020-04-29 6:43 AM
in reply to: midessa7

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Bike building
Originally posted by midessa7

Hello Beginner triathleters.

I've been out of the triathlete loop for a bit but I still train as though.

Anyways i'm looking at building at building a Tri bike, and is it worth it. I found a frame brand new $400 full carbon still in the box couple years old. I guess it's a leftover. What's your opinion / thoughts ?

thanks

Building a bike is a lot of fun. You may or may not save a ton of money but you will learn valuable skills that will save you money down the line. You may end up buying tools that will be useful in the long term

Chances are you can find a fully built used bike for not much more but that's no fun :-)

for the frame, the big question is "does it fit ?
2020-04-29 8:50 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

"Is it worth it?" is one of those questions that one can only answer for themselves.

My first "decent" bike was a garage sale find in very early high school, and I promptly checked out a Barnett's manual from the local library (shocked to later find out how rare that was) and read it cover to cover. That started me down the road to being fully capable of stripping and rebuilding a bike from frame to pieces (including wheels). Now, I'm building my own frames.

Was it worth it? At the time, sure. There were only a few "standards" that really were universal. If I were in my 50's and looking at the number of standards in the market currently, I might think differently. Being able to wrench your own bike is priceless, especially when something goes wrong the day before an event. The knowledge you gain will never be lost. But it comes at a price of parts, time, tools, and some frustration.

2020-04-29 9:44 AM
in reply to: briderdt

Massachusetts

According to my height and size, YES.

I've had several bikes in the past, TT and MTN. bikes and actually have done quite a bit of wrenching. Honestly I've never built built a complete bike especially like this. I feel like I'm working with glass, everything seems so delicate as to opposed to a MTN bike and I'm not sure why. Guess I figure it out while I'm in the process of the build.

I'll try to post as I go.

Thank you.
2020-04-29 11:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

According to my height and size, YES.

I've had several bikes in the past, TT and MTN. bikes and actually have done quite a bit of wrenching. Honestly I've never built built a complete bike especially like this. I feel like I'm working with glass, everything seems so delicate as to opposed to a MTN bike and I'm not sure why. Guess I figure it out while I'm in the process of the build.

I'll try to post as I go.

Thank you.

To get proper fit you need to know more than your height but it will get you in the ballpark.

The one thing you will want to pick wisely is your basebar, pads, extensions...you have to make sure you get your ideal fit coordinates so lots of adjustability.
2020-04-30 2:09 AM
in reply to: marcag

Massachusetts
Extreme Veteran, thank you. I honestly didn't think much of that.

Besides the frame where does one start ? what is the first piece of gear to purchase ?

2020-04-30 2:31 AM

Massachusetts
Besides first piece of gear lets talk about wheels. This frame only takes 650c. Are they still available ?

Is there a difference between road or TT wheels ? I'm no pro by any means so it really doesn't matter. What about spoke count ? I've never had clinchers.

thanks
2020-04-30 5:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Besides first piece of gear lets talk about wheels. This frame only takes 650c. Are they still available ?

Is there a difference between road or TT wheels ? I'm no pro by any means so it really doesn't matter. What about spoke count ? I've never had clinchers.

thanks

For me, 650c is a big red flag. It will severely limit the wheels, and tires you would be able to get.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike building Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Raleigh militis frame build?

Started by Brandon443
Views: 353 Posts: 1

2019-05-09 11:39 AM Brandon443

Bike Pain

Started by Knomadic
Views: 545 Posts: 3

2019-05-09 11:26 AM Parkland

This bike?