General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have had mnt bike shoes/pedals for 11 years. Now what? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2020-05-21 10:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Have had mnt bike shoes/pedals for 11 years. Now what?
I previously thought there were two types of pedals/cleats: mountain bike and road. Now I am sick of wearing mountain bike shoes and starting looking into buying tri shoes and settled on some. Yippee.

But then I started to research cleats/pedals and now I'm totally overwhelmed:
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/bike-fit/best-clipless-pedals-...

We have look delta (used by Peleton for some reason even though they are not officially supported by Look apparently?), look keo, SPD SL, Time Xpresso, and as you know I'm leaving out lots of others. Now I feel like an idiot about how much I didn't know. And then there is a float angle in the cleats. And some pedal types you have to pick cleats with a particular float angle. Cool just what I wanted...more decisions!

I just wanted some triathlon shoes and normal pedals and now I feel like I need to go get a PhD to figure this out. Every web site I look at seems to have slightly different, or additional, or conflicting, information, and I am really confused.

Here's what I'm thinking I want:
Shoes: Louis Garneau - Men's Tri X-Lite Triathlon 2 Bike Shoes
Pedals: LOOK Keo Classic 3 Road Pedals (with set of 3 cleats for different float angles)

But my wife has a Peleton that I want to start riding (I know ....first-world problems but covid and stuff don't scream at me pls). For some @#$ reason they have Look Deltas which are deprecated. Will my Look Keos work with that or do I need to go find some new cleats for her shoes, and keo pedals for her peleton (I'm assuming she'll be cool with that she is not attached to hardware stuff on the bike the way I am with my tri bike)? I seriously feel like I am going to buy stuff and none of it will work with anything and I'm an idiot.

Edited by neuronet 2020-05-21 11:10 PM

2020-05-22 1:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Have had mnt bike shoes/pedals for 11 years. Now what?

Buy enough shoes so you have cleats for each pedal on them......welcome to triathlon spending. 

In fact, put different pedals on any and every bike/apparatus you may possibly use, and buy shoes/cleats for each of them.....you will feel like less of an idiot and more like a real triathlete.  Trust the force.

Edited by Left Brain 2020-05-22 1:26 AM
2020-05-22 11:00 AM
in reply to: #5270366

Another thing to think about... reports out of Canada are that Garneau is in the red and will have to restructure soon to attempt to stay solvent.

That could effect their warranty support.

I just upgraded to Sidi and they are the best cycling investment I have ever made.
2020-05-22 11:08 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Cypress, Texas

I used platform pedals and toe clips for my first 2-3 years in the sport (and almost went back to them for my Super Sprint Duathlon last week but am glad I didn't since the shoe change was all of 2 seconds).  The whole time I had a platform pedals I was working on my PhD in bike pedals.  I was never able to finish the thesis though and so it was taking me a long time to graduate.  Then I asked my wife to pick up my bike from its annual tune-up before a race and she came home with pedals and shoes for my birthday gift.  She got the Speed Play pedals which after getting 3/4 through my PhD on pedals, is what I concluded I had as my #1 choice.  She got me some Giro shoes (model?) that were black and had three velcro straps (no idea what they are, I just wear them).  The shoes had the walkable cleats which have been awesome for Triathlon. 

So..... you can do things the way I did which was to spend two years reading about all the differences between the different pedals and shoes to try to figure out which one I thought would be best for me, or you can do what my wife did and spend 10 minutes in a local bike shop and have the sales guy assist you in getting you the shoe that you are going to be happiest with.  Yes, I felt like an idiot for two years when I was trying to figure out the pedals and shoes.  The way my wife did it would have been a lot better.     

2020-05-22 12:06 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I used platform pedals and toe clips for my first 2-3 years in the sport (and almost went back to them for my Super Sprint Duathlon last week but am glad I didn't since the shoe change was all of 2 seconds).  The whole time I had a platform pedals I was working on my PhD in bike pedals.  I was never able to finish the thesis though and so it was taking me a long time to graduate.  Then I asked my wife to pick up my bike from its annual tune-up before a race and she came home with pedals and shoes for my birthday gift.  She got the Speed Play pedals which after getting 3/4 through my PhD on pedals, is what I concluded I had as my #1 choice.  She got me some Giro shoes (model?) that were black and had three velcro straps (no idea what they are, I just wear them).  The shoes had the walkable cleats which have been awesome for Triathlon. 

So..... you can do things the way I did which was to spend two years reading about all the differences between the different pedals and shoes to try to figure out which one I thought would be best for me, or you can do what my wife did and spend 10 minutes in a local bike shop and have the sales guy assist you in getting you the shoe that you are going to be happiest with.  Yes, I felt like an idiot for two years when I was trying to figure out the pedals and shoes.  The way my wife did it would have been a lot better.     

LMAO I love this, hilarious!
2020-05-22 12:07 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Left Brain

Buy enough shoes so you have cleats for each pedal on them......welcome to triathlon spending. 

In fact, put different pedals on any and every bike/apparatus you may possibly use, and buy shoes/cleats for each of them.....you will feel like less of an idiot and more like a real triathlete.  Trust the force.

HA! So far I have been able to avoid getting sucked into the weeds with spending.

It's happening NOOOO.

2020-05-22 12:08 PM
in reply to: Matt J

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Matt J

Another thing to think about... reports out of Canada are that Garneau is in the red and will have to restructure soon to attempt to stay solvent.

That could effect their warranty support.

I just upgraded to Sidi and they are the best cycling investment I have ever made.

Thanks for the tip. Just what I needed more information. Ha ha.
2020-05-22 7:46 PM
in reply to: #5270391

I don't know if "you're welcome" or "I'm sorry" is more apt.

I am new to the sport and have a cycling background, so take it with a grain of salt. I have gravitated towards longer distances and won't be age group competitive, so I don't see any reason to try and hammer the transitions. I intend to sit down and put socks on when I get out of the water, but some of my mates are adamant about the direction of their buckles as they want to get spinning and then tighten in to their shoes, so I can see how a critical look at real Tri shoes could be a real thing.
2020-05-23 6:04 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I've gone through several pedal changes over the years:

• platform with cages on my first bike for triathlon (a hybrid) and will use this setup for the Echelon bike we have coming as well as converting my old road bike to a all-around beater bike
  • Look 3-bolt (some off Performance Bike brand)
  • Speedplay Zeros with adjustable float for my triathlon days
  • Look Keo 2 Max pedals and Giro shoes (current road bike, which I race) w/ 4 degree float I think.
  • platform with cages for spin class, plus I have the SPD 2-bolt cleats and some cheapo brand shoes (don't like the feel so don't use them)

For me, the Speedplays were great for triathlon, but no great for road racing as the stand-up sprint didn't feel stable.  Love the Keo 2 Max's - big platform though it took some getting used to clipping in on only one side (a great benefit of the Speedplays).

It's trial and error for sure, or you can just do as above and wear whatever your wife brings you. 

2020-05-31 9:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Matt J

I don't know if "you're welcome" or "I'm sorry" is more apt.

I am new to the sport and have a cycling background, so take it with a grain of salt. I have gravitated towards longer distances and won't be age group competitive, so I don't see any reason to try and hammer the transitions. I intend to sit down and put socks on when I get out of the water, but some of my mates are adamant about the direction of their buckles as they want to get spinning and then tighten in to their shoes, so I can see how a critical look at real Tri shoes could be a real thing.

I'm the same way: I chill in the transition, always have. People definitely come and go while I'm still putting on socks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have had mnt bike shoes/pedals for 11 years. Now what? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

04.24.2020 Friday 5-year anniversary eve

Started by BlueBoy26
Views: 366 Posts: 3

2020-04-24 2:34 PM jmhpsu93

Need new shoes for Tri Biking

Started by lombardi3g
Views: 326 Posts: 3

2020-03-17 7:41 PM Parkland

1-1-20: 20/20 Vision in the New Year

Started by Parkland
Views: 295 Posts: 1

2020-01-01 10:16 PM Parkland

Swim Training for Sub 11 mins - 750m (Sprint distance)

Started by josh806
Views: 1302 Posts: 9

2019-08-15 10:10 PM miklcct

advice on tri shoes

Started by CBarnes
Views: 641 Posts: 8

2019-06-24 12:36 PM Parkland