Other Resources The Political Joe » Riots Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2020-05-31 10:01 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: Riots

Since there has been no comment on the mayhem the last 4 days I will go ahead and declare this forum dead......like any thought related to it.

2020-06-01 7:32 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Riots
In my town of Fort Wayne, Indiana, I heard a few things from someone who heard about the protests here and was nearby.

1. There were many cars that had come from Illinois.
2. While the protest was supposed to be peaceful, people were told to wear shoes they could run in and that they should write their contact information on their arms. Not what you would think needed for a peaceful rally.

My take is if the riots had not started, we would have had a unified response from the left and the right to the incident in Minneapolis that pretty much everyone can agree is terrible.

It would have been incredibly positive if we could have come together as a nation as we really had something to celebrate this weekend with the Space-X launch on Saturday. While this was a far cry from the Apollo days, when I watched the landing when I was 11, it shows what are country can accomplish.
2020-06-01 8:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

At least the dreaded virus must be over.....or the Governors have decided that large gatherings are ok.  LOL

Edited by Left Brain 2020-06-01 8:52 AM
2020-06-01 9:05 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
I watched last night in disbelief. The spin in the media is crazy. But they can spin all they want, we see the violence and vandalism and looting.

Everyone is pointing blame. The only ones to blame are the lawless rioters.

How will it end? No idea. Martial law if it gets much worse I suppose.
2020-06-01 11:46 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Rogillio
The only ones to blame are the lawless rioters.

There may be more to the situation than just lawless rioters

2020-06-01 1:40 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by marcag

Yeah, I’m listening to people talk about systemic racism and income inequality and quality of life.

There will be much talk but I doubt anything will change.

My suggestions:

Better screening of cop
Increase cops salary to widen the pool of candidates
Better/more training
Partner with cops with black cops
Mandatory body cams

2020-06-01 2:10 PM

User image

, Arizona
There has to be better accountability as well, none of this "we investigated ourselves and found no wrong-doing" crap.

There is an insane amount of videos in the last few days showing hyper aggressive officers abusing people. Shooting less lethal rounds at people on balcony's for filming them, driving down streets macing people out the window. There is one of a cop antagonizing and swearing at protesters before firing a shot around the cops in front of him at protesters. Turns out he makes $260k in pay/benefits at 33 years old.

The riots bring out the worst in the citizens and police alike. Makes me appreciate the lengths our local police force have gone to to gain public trust and focus on deescalating situations, and that nobody felt it was necessary to destroy the property of our locally owned businesses.

2020-06-01 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Originally posted by Left Brain

At least the dreaded virus must be over.....or the Governors have decided that large gatherings are ok.  LOL

Culling the herd???? 

2020-06-01 5:24 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Since there has been no comment on the mayhem the last 4 days I will go ahead and declare this forum dead......like any thought related to it.

I was thinking about you earlier today when I was reading the latest on the riots around here.  We just had a young black male that was shot and killed (in self defense) by a local store owner in Omaha.  They shut down the whole city today when they did the press conference saying they weren't pressing charges. 

2020-06-01 6:06 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Alabama
My wife has a fiend with connections to the Huntsville PD and said they just got word that the ‘protestors’ from Nashville are heading to Huntsville and will be here at 6 pm. WTH?! Someone is orchestrating this.
2020-06-01 8:03 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Rogillio My wife has a fiend with connections to the Huntsville PD and said they just got word that the ‘protestors’ from Nashville are heading to Huntsville and will be here at 6 pm. WTH?! Someone is orchestrating this.

No question it's organized domestic terrorism.   You saw how the pallets of bricks were conveniently dropped off prior to the riots in Minneapolis.
There are very well funded and organized hate groups out there who want to destroy America.  This has nothing to do with a man who was a victim of the police,  this has to do with destroying America. 

2020-06-02 6:36 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
An inconvenient truth that no one is reporting. I’ve watched a lot of video of looters and violent beating and the vast majority of this is done by black people. This has exactly the opposite effect the protestors are striving for. One minute to see a protestor with a sign asking for equality got black people and the very next image you see 10 black people beating the chit out of a white guy with 2x4s or dozens of black people burning or looting a local business. Images speak much louder than words. At some point the protestors need to realize they are providing a platform or excuse for the rioters.

I’ve never been a fan of any “protest” as it never seems to accomplish anything. The time and energy would be better spent effecting elections and legislation. Think of all the pro life and pro abortion protests or marches. Has either of them swayed public opinion or policy or legislation? If it has, Ive not seen it. Whatever happened to the puzy hat marches? What did they accomplish? Nothing! Nada. Parkland anti gun protests and marches? Nothing. Occupy Wall Street. Not a dang thing.

I suppose it makes some people feel better. One of the great Cesars said, “It’s not important to do anything about the people’s problems as long as they feel they have a voice and can express their anger”. Or words to that affect.
2020-06-02 7:12 AM

User image

DC

Yeah, I’m listening to people talk about systemic racism and income inequality and quality of life.

My suggestions:

Better screening of cop
Better/more training
Mandatory body cams

These "solutions" continue to be recycled. Nothing comes of it. I think we can agree on that right? I'll say this though... my 9-year-old is at a loss as to how this innocent man was murdered. He is struggling to understand the "logic" behind racism. Whatever his dad/mom & other mom/dads, mom/moms, dad/dads are doing to show racism for what it is, we need to keep doing.

Riots... not to sound like a broken record, of course that's not cool. But how does change happen if people don't shout. Recall that MLK was also murdered. That's not peaceful at all.
2020-06-02 7:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Question to LB

The US seems to have the highest rate of killings by LE amongst the ecomonic powers of the world. They are only slightly behind Mexico.

Canada is next in line but with 3x less per million population.

Do you believe this ? Any explanations ? Does it have to do with the fact your population is more armed ?

I think there are many conversations

Racism and inequalities for minorities
Police brutality
Anarchists and how to deal with them
Right to protest, free speach.....

I think things are turning to speak only about the anarchists and ignoring the rest of the conversations.
2020-06-02 8:46 AM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Porfirio

My suggestions:

Better screening of cop
Better/more training
Mandatory body cams

These "solutions" continue to be recycled. Nothing comes of it. I think we can agree on that right? I'll say this though... my 9-year-old is at a loss as to how this innocent man was murdered. He is struggling to understand the "logic" behind racism. Whatever his dad/mom & other mom/dads, mom/moms, dad/dads are doing to show racism for what it is, we need to keep doing.

Riots... not to sound like a broken record, of course that's not cool. But how does change happen if people don't shout. Recall that MLK was also murdered. That's not peaceful at all.

The answer is not to eliminate racists. That is never going to happen in this world, ever. The answer to to ensure racist are not in positions where they can act on their racism hiding behind the shield of law enforcement or public office. Unfortunately there are many already in those positions. Question becomes, how do you weed them out and stop new ones from getting in? No one is going to admit to being a racist. How do you find the cop that gives a black man a ticket where, had the driver been white, he’d of let them off? Maybe if he had to report every person he pulled over, identify their race and then report what he did? If a pattern develops, fire him.

2020-06-02 8:52 AM

User image

DC

My suggestions:

Better screening of cop
Better/more training
Mandatory body cams

The answer is not to eliminate racists. That is never going to happen in this world, ever. The answer to to ensure racist are not in positions where they can act on their racism hiding behind the shield of law enforcement or public office. Unfortunately there are many already in those positions. Question becomes, how do you weed them out and stop new ones from getting in? No one is going to admit to being a racist. How do you find the cop that gives a black man a ticket where, had the driver been white, he’d of let them off? Maybe if he had to report every person he pulled over, identify their race and then report what he did? If a pattern develops, fire him.

Agree and well-said. But I still think having candid conversations w/our children is also a good starting point. Humanity is not a zero sum game. The future needs to shake this off their evolutionary beliefs (i.e., "limited" resources).

2020-06-02 11:45 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag Question to LB The US seems to have the highest rate of killings by LE amongst the ecomonic powers of the world. They are only slightly behind Mexico. Canada is next in line but with 3x less per million population. Do you believe this ? Any explanations ? Does it have to do with the fact your population is more armed ? I think there are many conversations Racism and inequalities for minorities Police brutality Anarchists and how to deal with them Right to protest, free speach..... I think things are turning to speak only about the anarchists and ignoring the rest of the conversations.

Yep, and that's how it's going to be until the anarchy stops.  It's a damn shame......everybody agreed on this latest incident....it would have been a good place to start having those conversations.....that's lost for now.

I don't know the answer to the other questions.....but I know this.  In my career I have worked with 17 men and women who have been killed in the line of duty or committed suicide.  I haven't been at a single incident when we shot someone.  We could have, and been "justified", but every one of those times made a turn that gave us a chance not to.  That is the OVERWHELMING majority of incidents that turn violent.

Here's a fact......as long as there are drunk people, high people, people with warrants who don't want to go to jail, or just criminals in general, who want to fight the police, then it's going to be what it is.  Once the fight starts, it's hard to say how it will turn out.  Citizens get hurt, cops get hurt, and sometimes some of each get killed.  It sucks.

Hey, I'm willing to stand down if everyone else wants to deal with these morons......I don't know a police officer who feels differently.

Edited by Left Brain 2020-06-02 11:46 AM
2020-06-02 11:55 AM

User image

DC

Originally posted by marcag Question to LB The US seems to have the highest rate of killings by LE amongst the ecomonic powers of the world. They are only slightly behind Mexico. Canada is next in line but with 3x less per million population. Do you believe this ? Any explanations ? Does it have to do with the fact your population is more armed ? I think there are many conversations Racism and inequalities for minorities Police brutality Anarchists and how to deal with them Right to protest, free speach..... I think things are turning to speak only about the anarchists and ignoring the rest of the conversations.

Yep, and that's how it's going to be until the anarchy stops.  It's a damn shame......everybody agreed on this latest incident....it would have been a good place to start having those conversations.....that's lost for now.

I don't know the answer to the other questions.....but I know this.  In my career I have worked with 17 men and women who have been killed in the line of duty or committed suicide.  I haven't been at a single incident when we shot someone.  We could have, and been "justified", but every one of those times made a turn that gave us a chance not to.  That is the OVERWHELMING majority of incidents that turn violent.

Here's a fact......as long as there are drunk people, high people, people with warrants who don't want to go to jail, or just criminals in general, who want to fight the police, then it's going to be what it is.  Once the fight starts, it's hard to say how it will turn out.  Citizens get hurt, cops get hurt, and sometimes some of each get killed.  It sucks.

Hey, I'm willing to stand down if everyone else wants to deal with these morons......I don't know a police officer who feels differently.

Hey man, I'm really sorry to hear of the people you have lost. It's hard to process.

Riots: Again, sadly, how else can voices be heard. I wish this wasn't the case, but what other avenue is there. (Again, MLK was murdered... not very peaceful).
2020-06-02 4:04 PM

User image

Pro

Hey man, I'm really sorry to hear of the people you have lost. It's hard to process. Riots: Again, sadly, how else can voices be heard. I wish this wasn't the case, but what other avenue is there. (Again, MLK was murdered... not very peaceful).

I appreciate that......and yeah, maybe lots of bodies is how we get there......we'll see. 

I know one thing, I don't control where this is headed.....but if it doesn't change course soon, get ready for anything.

2020-06-02 4:30 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Hey man, I'm really sorry to hear of the people you have lost. It's hard to process. Riots: Again, sadly, how else can voices be heard. I wish this wasn't the case, but what other avenue is there. (Again, MLK was murdered... not very peaceful).

Honestly I think it's a matter of being real with each other and stop blaming other people for choices that people make.  There's a HUGE culture problem in the poor communities that they can't get ahead and they're doomed to their circumstance as a result of people oppressing them.  This isn't just minority people, it's all poor people. 
Our politicians stoke the fires to get votes and it just keeps getting worse.  For somebody who has no hope, consequences mean nothing and we are where we are. 

I'm not trying to say racism doesn't exist or that certain people don't have advantages over others, but that's always been the case and it always will be the case.  When poor kids growing up in the projects start to believe they can break free and become something in life is when we start turning the corner.  On a scale of 1 to 100 on what's holding inner city kids back in life racism is probably in the 90's. 

2020-06-03 5:19 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
For the life of me I cannot understand why every state has yet to deploy the NG. They don’t have to be deployed to confront the rioters, leave that to the cops who are better trained on how to deal with them. But they could be used to guard various stores and monuments and other ‘targets’. You put 100 guardsmen in front of Target in riot gear with batons and now one is going to loot that Target. This would free up cops to respond to the rioters and make arrests. I guess Dems are more worried about politics and optics than ending the riots.

2020-06-03 6:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Just to clarify my question. I am not reproaching anything to how the police are reacting to this situation. A friend of mine is a cop with provincial police. He has been doing it for 25 years or so. He has told me the $hit he has to deal with day in and day out. This seriously marks a person. I don't know how he does it. He told me a story recently where I would have snapped and done something seriously bad to the person he was dealing with. I know I could not do his job.

Like any very high stress job/event (soldier, cop, ER doctor) I believe you are exposed to PTSD more than anyone can imagine, at least anyone sitting behind a desk 9 to 5.

But it's also the responsibility of the upper echelons to see this and do something about it. They are not in the line of fire but they do have access to the information to make the best decisions. And they are obviously failing.

2020-06-03 6:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

For the life of me I cannot understand why every state has yet to deploy the NG. They don’t have to be deployed to confront the rioters, leave that to the cops who are better trained on how to deal with them. But they could be used to guard various stores and monuments and other ‘targets’. You put 100 guardsmen in front of Target in riot gear with batons and now one is going to loot that Target. This would free up cops to respond to the rioters and make arrests. I guess Dems are more worried about politics and optics than ending the riots.

I have a cheaper suggestion.

Why don't your leaders speak as much about what he is going to do to fix inequalities as he is about dominating the protesters.

It's the right thing to be firm with the anarchists but they are doing NOTHING to calm those that are truly distressed about this. NOTHING.

And I don't think it's incompetence. It almost seems intentional
2020-06-03 8:26 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio For the life of me I cannot understand why every state has yet to deploy the NG. They don’t have to be deployed to confront the rioters, leave that to the cops who are better trained on how to deal with them. But they could be used to guard various stores and monuments and other ‘targets’. You put 100 guardsmen in front of Target in riot gear with batons and now one is going to loot that Target. This would free up cops to respond to the rioters and make arrests. I guess Dems are more worried about politics and optics than ending the riots.
I have a cheaper suggestion. Why don't your leaders speak as much about what he is going to do to fix inequalities as he is about dominating the protesters. It's the right thing to be firm with the anarchists but they are doing NOTHING to calm those that are truly distressed about this. NOTHING. And I don't think it's incompetence. It almost seems intentional

What are the inequalities?

2020-06-03 8:27 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I have a cheaper suggestion.

Why don't your leaders speak as much about what he is going to do to fix inequalities as he is about dominating the protesters.

It's the right thing to be firm with the anarchists but they are doing NOTHING to calm those that are truly distressed about this. NOTHING.

And I don't think it's incompetence. It almost seems intentional

RE your question. A man is drowning that fell off a cruise ship. Should you spend time talking about safety procedures on cruise ships or saving the guy who is drowning? A house is on fire started by an electrical problem. Should you focus on electrical standards or putting out the fire.

Inequities have always existed in every society. You are not going to fix that int two weeks or even 2 years. In fact, as long as people are involved the best society can do is mitigate the problem. Civil Rights legislation was past in the ‘60s yet 50 years later it is still an issue.

ETA. The problem with “inequities” is not something only white people can “fix”. There are cultural differences that are a big factor. Consider this;

“ data indicate that 40.7 percent of all 2012 births were out-of-wedlock, which is appalling, and there are vast differences among racial and ethnic groups. Among non-Hispanic blacks, the figure is highest, at 72.2 percent; for American Indians/Alaska Natives, it’s 66.9 percent; 53.5 percent for Hispanics; 29.4 percent for non-Hispanic whites; and a mere 17.1 percent for Asians/Pacific Islanders.”

While my parents divorced when I was 8, both parents stayed very much active in my life.

Edited by Rogillio 2020-06-03 8:37 AM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Riots Rss Feed  

of 3