General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sleeve or Sleeveless? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2020-06-02 12:29 PM

User image

Regular
Bolivar, OH
Subject: Sleeve or Sleeveless?
Help me!!! I am buying a new wet suit and I cant decide between a sleeved or a sleeveless wet suit. I have swam in a sleeveless wet suit one time before that I borrowed and like it. I am a little worried that a sleeved one will be to constrictive for me. What are your thoughts and experiences?

Thanks!!

2020-06-02 4:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Sleeve or Sleeveless?

The purpose for wearing a wet suit it to make you faster.  If you get a good sleeved suit that fits well that is going to be your fastest option.  If you don't get a good fit then the sleeves could make it harder to swim.  I had one that was a bit too tight and it felt like I was pulling bungy cords with every stroke.  I was still 15 sec/100m faster with it on that without a wet suit but I borrowed a sleeveless at a race where I forget mine and left it at home.  It was a size bigger and git great so I got a new wetsuit in the larger size.  I didn't have a new wetsuit in the planned budget at the time so I went with the sleeveless option just because it was about half the cost of the sleeved suit.  So if you want to save money or don't have a good fir the sleeveless is better, but if you have a good suit that fits well the sleeved is going to be the best option.  My next wetsuit purchase is going to be the Full sleeved Kiwami Swift. With my race team discount code.  :-)

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-06-02 4:51 PM
2020-06-29 6:38 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I will never go back to sleeved. The resistance on my arms is too much, so my arms get tired much more quickly. I am fine with sleeveless temperature wise in 55F temps for IM distance races.
2020-06-29 11:44 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Cypress, Texas

Steve,

I am impressed that you are the Snapple Team. I got in touch with Mindy last year trying to be considered for the team but she told me that they wouldn't be taking any new member last fall.  If I remember correctly Xterra is the Wetsuit sponsor for the Snapple Team.  Is that what you swim in?  Both the long sleeve (Medium Long) and the Short Sleeve (Large) that I own are Xterra.  I still look forward to a new long sleeve that fits me better that the Medium Long Xterra though. 

Ya...I did 55F water without any wetsuit at all every summer at scout camp growing up.  It was usually just a 100 meter swim test and and floating on my back for 60 seconds, but I did the BSA mile swim one year too.  After your body goes numb 55F is doable. We would swim in 55F just for fun some times.  I guess our idea of fun was a little bit on the thrill seaking side of things though.    

2020-07-07 4:15 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Also, you didn't have another 10-12 hours of workouts to do after stressing your body with a cold swim. I did IM Tahoe one year, it snowed the night before the race. There was frost on the bike seats in T1 and a daytime high of maybe 50F. It was good to have a wetsuit for the swim in the warm 50-55F water temps because I didn't stop shivering on the bike until mile 55 ish and got feeling back in my feet around mile 75. So at IM distance, you have to take the full impact on your body into consideration.

However, as with most things triathlon it is what you want to do and what makes you comfortable or happy. If you are not on the podium shaving that 10 seconds here and that 30 seconds there, it is about enjoying your race and being able to put in a respectable effort and time for yourself.

Enjoy your journey, take what is useful to you from what others share and chuck the rest.

IM Santa Rosa in 3 months for me will be number 12. /tip of the hat
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sleeve or Sleeveless? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wet suit - Long sleeve or sleeveless

Started by stephbaxter2
Views: 596 Posts: 7

2019-06-18 10:28 AM jnuger