General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New running shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2020-06-10 5:21 PM

Subject: New running shoes
I am looking for a new pair of running shoes and would love some experienced advice. A couple of years ago I decided to start running more with an interest in triathlons. Instead of taking good advice and going to a dedicated running shop for a shoe fit, I figured out whether my feet are “neutral” or whether they tend to pronate using various methods from online. Having determined that I was pretty neutral, with possible slight pronation, I headed down to the local REI and tried on various shoes. I had a pair of old Asics that super comfortable, even when running, but I figured I would give other companies a chance. I left that day with a pair of Brooks Ghost 10 shoes. They felt like pillows on my feet and I couldn’t have been more happy.

I started jogging with them and indeed, they were pretty comfy. I noticed after half hour or so that my feet would start to get numb. I figured I needed to just “break them in.” I didn’t run as often I should have, and eventually the return on them ran out. Life got busy with work, and a year and a half ago I moved to a new town a couple hours away from the REI store. I have been running more often and these shoes still make my feet numb. I’ve swapped the laces for speed laces and keep the shoe looser than tying with regular laces, to no avail.

So, I’ve decided to get different shoes. I love the Asics I have, but they are really old (~ 15+ years) and worn. I have decided to go with Asics again for that reason. I am stuck between Gel-Kayano 26 and Gel-Nimbus 22 because both have great reviews for bigger guys. The kayano is described as a “stability” shoe, but I’ve read that they are for “mild to moderate pronation.” The Asics website describes them as “made for Neutral and Overpronation.” I take that to mean mild pronation as opposed to severe. The Nimbus is described as being for neutral runners.

I determined last night that my old shoes are Gel-Phoenix 3’s, which I have found described as somewhat of a stability shoe. However, I imagine the “stability” platforms of 15-20 years ago are nowhere near the same as what would be in today’s shoes. My concern is the Kayano would be too “stable” if you will. I’ve attached a pic of my foot pattern, which I would say is pretty neutral to mild pronation?

If you’ve read this far, I realize you’re thinking “well dummy, just go try both pair on and see which you like better.” That’s the obvious answer. But I live 2.5 hours from REI and any legit running store, and with COVID numbers on the rise here, I am simply not traveling up there to try on shoes. I was wondering if anyone had any experience on either of these, especially how much stability the kayano provides? The Brooks I have are described as neutral shoes (like the Nimbus), and I don’t think pronation is an issue in them, I just think they may be a touch too small/narrow that after a bit, my feet go numb.

The kayano’s are $50 cheaper right now. My thought is to order those, give them a try for a week or two, and then return for the Nimbus if the balance seems off. But if anyone thinks they’d be “too stable” and be uncomfy trying to push my feet the other way, I’d love to hear it. All of this will be done by mail order, so it’s going to take a few weeks to get it dialed in I think.
Thanks in advance.

(foot.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
foot.jpg (3366KB - 8 downloads)

2020-06-11 12:17 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: New running shoes
I have a higher arch than you, when I started running I was about 225lbs. My first shoe was the Gel Nimbus. It is a strong neutral shoe for logging a bunch of miles.

You may also want to look at the Mizuno Wave Rider series of shoes. They are also well cushioned and I have had numerous pairs get me into the 600 mile+ range. Older models can often be found on Amazon at significantly reduced prices.

I am now smaller and wear a lighter shoe so I don't have any current recommendations.
2020-06-13 12:01 AM
in reply to: #5270825

Thanks. I did some measuring and trying on some lower end Asics. I figured out that I need a wide shoe. My Brooks are 9 regular and I'm pushing close to the end and tight on width. I ordered a 9.5 wide and a 10 wide today in the new nimbus from REI. I'll walk some on treadmill when they get here and see which I like better. I figured I would do at least that much in the store, so can return the second pair. Best I can do for trying them on through mail order.
2020-06-13 9:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Since you have wide and fairly long feet, you might try a men's shoe in the future. Might be easier to get the size and width you need. I have similarly big feet (a little longer, 10-10 1/2 in most women's models) and have a terrible time with sizing because my feet are too narrow to fit properly into most men's shoes, but it's very hard to find women's size 10 1/2, even online, in many models. Plus one of my feet is about 1/2 size bigger than the other. So pretty much all my shoes have been either women's shoes which fit fine on the right and are a wee bit pinchy on the left, or men's shoes that are really too wide (but almost okay with inserts) and a bit too big on the right. Not surprisingly, I have suffered intermittently with blisters and nerve irritation on the toes of my left foot, and PF on my right (because the arch is probably not quite in the right place, and I tend to move around too much in the shoe). The only shoe that has made me completely happy is the Saucony Kinvara 9, women's size 10 1/2. Of course it is now out of stock. They are a couple models onward now; the new models have a slightly different fit profile and I am back to the usual predicament.

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-06-13 9:09 PM
2020-06-15 3:58 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Since you have wide and fairly long feet, you might try a men's shoe in the future. Might be easier to get the size and width you need. I have similarly big feet (a little longer, 10-10 1/2 in most women's models) and have a terrible time with sizing because my feet are too narrow to fit properly into most men's shoes, but it's very hard to find women's size 10 1/2, even online, in many models. Plus one of my feet is about 1/2 size bigger than the other. So pretty much all my shoes have been either women's shoes which fit fine on the right and are a wee bit pinchy on the left, or men's shoes that are really too wide (but almost okay with inserts) and a bit too big on the right. Not surprisingly, I have suffered intermittently with blisters and nerve irritation on the toes of my left foot, and PF on my right (because the arch is probably not quite in the right place, and I tend to move around too much in the shoe). The only shoe that has made me completely happy is the Saucony Kinvara 9, women's size 10 1/2. Of course it is now out of stock. They are a couple models onward now; the new models have a slightly different fit profile and I am back to the usual predicament.

Useful information...but I am a man, so I always order men's shoes. Hahahaha.
2020-06-15 7:54 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Funny--for some reason I thought you were a woman! I think maybe I have you mixed up with another Manatee!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New running shoes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need new shoes for Tri Biking

Started by lombardi3g
Views: 326 Posts: 3

2020-03-17 7:41 PM Parkland

Clydesdale (read:fat feet) Shoe Question

Started by AuD14
Views: 638 Posts: 2

2020-02-23 7:00 PM browncd

Best running shoe - bad ankle