Other Resources The Political Joe » Fishing or politics? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2020-06-22 9:50 AM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: Fishing or politics?

I'm really not into politics so let's just skip that and talk about fishing.

I know some of you are experienced fishermen. Since we were locked up with nothing to do for so long I started taking my kids fishing at the in-laws pond in the spring. It was super easy to catch lots of small bass but now the entire pond is covered in green snotty slime. There are a couple of nice lakes near me to fish at but apparently I don't know what I'm doing on a bigger lake. I went this morning for 2 hours and I could see big fish jumping out of the water right in front of me but I only caught 1 small bass. I was fishing with a yellow spinner bait and a blue plastic lizard. 

Advice? 

2020-06-22 10:28 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Fishing or politics?

Fishing gets tougher when the weather and water temperature gets hotter.  Since you don't have alot of experience, do what we did when we were kids an learning to fish......switch to live bait.   A minnow or a worm beneath a bobber is the purest fishing there is....and you'll learn alot about the depth the fish are at (change the depth of the bobber until you zero in), the area of the lake they like, what kind of structure they may be around, etc.  You are a bit limited fishing from the bank, so keep moving.

2020-06-22 10:42 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
My new boat. Actually I bought the boat (2019) used and the motor used (2020 with 5 hrs on it) and the seats from Amazon. The motor is 9.9 hp Hidea. It pushes me at 17 mph....15 mph with two people in boat.

Attachments
----------------
46EE3507-116D-44BE-ACC4-26F64AEE3D48.jpeg (3806KB - 15 downloads)
2020-06-22 10:56 AM

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by Left Brain

Fishing gets tougher when the weather and water temperature gets hotter.  Since you don't have alot of experience, do what we did when we were kids an learning to fish......switch to live bait.   A minnow or a worm beneath a bobber is the purest fishing there is....and you'll learn alot about the depth the fish are at (change the depth of the bobber until you zero in), the area of the lake they like, what kind of structure they may be around, etc.  You are a bit limited fishing from the bank, so keep moving.

The weather makes sense. In the early spring we would barely put the bait in the water and we were catching 2 lb bass at the pond. I know that is not huge but for this little pond it was a surprise.

2020-06-22 11:41 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by trigal38

Originally posted by Left Brain

The weather makes sense. In the early spring we would barely put the bait in the water and we were catching 2 lb bass at the pond. I know that is not huge but for this little pond it was a surprise.

A 2 lb. bass out of a little pond is a great fish, and great fun.  I know the green slime makes it hard to fish.....and I'd end up doing what you did and just find a bigger pond with less algae, but if you want to, you could try a weedless spoon or a weedless topwater bait, like a weedless frog.  Drag it right over the algae and the fish will come right through to get it.  But then reeling them in is alot like reeling in a wet towel because they get so wrapped up in it.

And......ummm.....don't know if you are interested, but I bet there are a few bullfrogs at least on that pond bank.  You can cast to them with a plastic worm.....pull it right in front of them and they'll pick it up with their feet and shove it down their throat,......and then you set the hook.  Fresh frog legs are at least as good as fish.....better in my mind.

2020-06-22 3:10 PM

User image

Bronze member

Went to the pond this afternoon, kids wanted to visit their grandparents. I threw it right on top of all that green stuff just like you described and caught 4 bass in 20 min ha. 

Mom dog thinks chasing frogs in the pond is about as fun as chasing bunnies in the field so I'm not sure I could ever catch any with her around!

2020-06-22 6:49 PM

User image

Pro
Nice! Good work!
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Fishing or politics? Rss Feed