Other Resources The Political Joe » Christopher Columbus Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2020-07-24 6:32 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Christopher Columbus
Chicago takes down statue of Christopher Columbus. Hmmmp

My knowledge of CC: He was an Italian who got money from the Queen of Spain to sail 3 ships, the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria, across the Atlantic and “found” the new world in 1492.

First off, it was only a “new world” to Europeans. The Indians had lived here for thousands of years. The Mayans and Incans had also lived on this side of the Atlantic also. The Inuits has been here for centuries. It is also widely believed that the Vikings had been to the “new world” many years before Chris.

So Chris was, debatably, the first European but soon there would be hundreds of ships coming across the pond with the promise of free land.

Note: Most of us were taught people at the time thought the earth was flat. This is simply not true! Anyone who watched a ship disappear over the horizon knew the earth was not flat.

At any rate, I have long thought Columbus Day was overrated. There have been many people who impacted the trajectory of history. That being said, if someone wants to put up a statue to ‘mamorialize’ him, I don’t care. I’ve never seen a statue of Chris (except in Barcelona, Spin) and my knowledge of what he did had nothing to do with a statue. My ‘great’ knowledge came from a 3rd grade history lesson.

Taking down the statue is a red herring and will change the world as much as me changing my socks changes the world.

There will be some people “happy” that Chicago took down the statue. To them all I can say is, you have a shallow life and your efforts to change the world are misguided. Many people will resent the removal but will not dare say a word lest they be called a racist.

So what really will change? History did not change. Chis still sailed the ocean blue in ‘92. No laws or or ordinances or policies changed. There are not fewer racists in the country because the statue is gone. The only thing I can think of that changed is a growing anger and resentment in many people that a few angry people get decide who is worthy of a statue on public property.

IMO, the people in that community should decide. Put it on the ballot. If the majority of people in Chicago want it taken down, take it down. If the majority want to keep it there, keep it there. It is public property and the statue and the land belong to everyone there.

I guess in November the people in Chicago will get to vote on the direction of the country....so will the rest of America.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Christopher Columbus Rss Feed