General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill distance versus outdoor distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2020-07-24 1:43 PM

Subject: Treadmill distance versus outdoor distance
My wife has done park runs of 5k and I run with an app doing 5k. We have just bought a treadmill and both of us noticed to do 5k it takes about an extra 15 minutes. Normally we would do it in 25 to 30 mins but the treadmill it’s taking 45 mins.

Wife says it’s saying miles and not kilometres so I measured the belt in cm and divided it by 100,000, put a piece of tape on the belt and set it going for 362 revolutions which would be 1km. Looked at the screen and it said exactly 1km.

So we are puzzled as to why it takes so much longer on the treadmill yet it’s reading is accurate. Has anyone else come access this??

2020-07-24 3:29 PM
in reply to: Spider_Webster

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Treadmill distance versus outdoor distance

I have noticed a lot of differences between running on the treadmill and running outdoors. I have never gone as deep into the distance measurements as you did.  That is quite impressive.  The best I have done is to compare HR levels from indoor and outdoor runs.   I had a coach that wanted me to run between 137-144 BPM on the heart rate monitor.  Outdoors that would come out to about a 7:00-7:15 min/mile pace on a fairly hilly course through my neighborhood.  Indoors I had to do a 6:30 min/mi pace to get my HR up to 137-144 BPM range.  Since I was running for time and pacing myself by HR I didn't worry too much about the distance calculation on the treadmill but I definitely have to run faster on the treadmill to feel like I am moving that the same effort as an outdoor run.  Could you increase you pace to complete your 5K in 25-30 minutes on the treadmill or do you feel like you are already going as fast as you can on the treadmill?

How are you measuring your outdoor runs?  Do you have mile marks along your tail or do you have a GPS devise?  I paced the Dallas Hot Chocolate 15K with the Beast Pace Team this year and our Pacing 101 manual said to always run several seconds a mile faster than what the GPS  says or you wont hit your time because the GPS loose accuracy from interference from buildings, etc.  I trained with my GPS and didn't have any certified mile marker so I just went off the GPS when I go in the race.  Sure enough, I complete mile #1 on the GPS and looked up and the first-mile marker was still 75 feet out.  Over the next 9 miles out.  I wasn't sure if I should trust the mile markers of the GPS and ended up just slipping the middle.  The GPS showed that I had completed the distance when I still have more than a quarter-mile to go,  So...if you don't have accurate mile markers outdoors you may be running slightly shorter than 5K on your runs. 

More things to test.  I hope others can provide input and we can get some people to test things to determine why your 5K treadmill run is  50% loner than your 5K outdoor run.

2020-07-25 4:54 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

Thanks, I think my next thing is to increase pace on treadmill as I’ve never used before. It does feel so much easier than running outside. My wife’s park run was organised event so am assuming the distance would be accurate. I on the other hand did mine with a gps app and then stuck to that with or without the app.

I’m starting to think it is the speed and also how we run on the treadmill. If I was to run outside and was told that I had to have a foot on the ground at all times I think it would be a very tough run. It might be that that’s how I’m running on the treadmill so I need to increase the speed and try and run as I would outdoors. ??
2020-07-28 9:10 PM
in reply to: Spider_Webster

User image

Expert
Another factor is wind. Outside running gives you a breeze that is in your face at least some of the time. Do you use a high power fan on the treadmill? You may find it's easier to maintain your outdoor pace with a strong fan to allow you to dissipate heat better. I often struggle with feeling as if I'm sprinting on a treadmill to keep my outdoor pace. Enjoy the new treadmill!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill distance versus outdoor distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

03.16.2020 Social Distancing Monday Training

Started by BlueBoy26
Views: 291 Posts: 1

2020-03-16 3:37 PM BlueBoy26

01.21.2020 TreadMill Tuesday

Started by PigeonTri
Views: 450 Posts: 4

2020-01-21 11:22 PM BlueBoy26

Xterra versus Roka

Started by Burchib
Views: 1725 Posts: 4

2019-12-05 12:05 PM Burchib

11.14.2019 Treadmill Thursday

Started by PigeonTri
Views: 432 Posts: 3

2019-11-14 10:25 PM BlueBoy26

Swim Training for Sub 11 mins - 750m (Sprint distance)

Started by josh806
Views: 1303 Posts: 9

2019-08-15 10:10 PM miklcct