Try Fitness
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 34s
Overall Rank = 68/200
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/35
Pre-race routine:

had NO sleep. I took my kids and I to a friends house to stay the night, and the kids got the bed and I got the couch. It was horrible to say the least. I just couldn`t get comfortable and my legs were to long for the couch, I kept looking at the clock every 15min and saying how stupid this was.
Event warmup:

But, left at 4.45 and got there about 5.15, I was surprised at how early I seemed to be. The car park for racers was pretty empty and so I got a great park, went into the transition area and there must have only been about 20 other women, so got a good transition spot as well (realized later it wasn`t such a great spot).
Took myself for a 10min run with some tempo sets, did lots of stretching.
Met up with tritwinmom, she is great, we actually started together and ran thru the yellow bridge thing at the start....
Swim
  • 09m 51s
  • 0 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

I could have died when I saw how frigin slow I ran, I was hoping for 9m/m so that threw me for a six. I really think it was longer than one mile!!
What would you do differently?:

I hate the cancelled swim thing, that makes it twice this year and I don`t like it one bit. Running before the bike completly annoys me, and I guess I need to start training this way, obviously it is going to happen again.
Not much, run faster?
Transition 1
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

had a pretty good tranistion. It sucked having to run thru soft beach sand to the road to mount the bikes. I tried to run on the sides so I wouldn`t get sand in my shoes.

Nothing I don`t think, it went well.
Bike
  • 41m 6s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.52 mile/hr
Comments:

I enjoyed the bike, had fun and felt like I had a good pace going. Not that many people passed me...although tritwinmom did on the hill, I thankfully passed a few MTB`s, I hate that when I see them beating me. I felt like I passed more people than passed me.

Try to avoid potholes next time, my neck is suffering this afternoon.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

darn it, my souls of my shoe on my right foot got scrunched up so I had to take it off and fix it. Other than that it went pretty fast.
ran past tritwinmom with my bike as she was putting her shoes on, gave her a couple of words and kept going.

try to not have scrunched up souls.
Run
  • 27m 35s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Once again, I got about a mile into the run and I started to cramp up on my right side. What is the deal with this???? I`m hurting from it today like a really sore muscle. It wasn`t as bad as last time, but enough to keep me at a slower pace than I wanted to push. I have no idea why this happens during a race, I made an extra effort to drink more on the bike, I drank at all water stations....just have no idea what it is.
I had far to many people pass me, although I felt like I passed a few also. Most of the girls who passed me happened in the first 1/2 mile and then the last 100meters. I gave it everything, with a cramp killing me on the right side I just couldn`t sprint to the finish like I wanted to. Then, when I looked at the results the girl who did sprint past me and beat me by 3 seconds came 5th in my age group........darn it!!!

Try to work out why the hell I am cramping on the right side during a race. Just cant work it out, it NEVER happens in training.
Post race
Warm down:

looked around for the water, drinks and recovery stations. Stretched for 5min and talked to tritwinmom and her family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

cramps!! HELP!

Event comments:

where the hell was the finish water station. I came into the finish line about to curl up into a ball in pain and I could`nt find any water. The guy who took my timing chip off was running around asking where the water was. Finally I was directed up to the water table...50meters away and up stairs...were they serious!? I managed to get up there and drank as much as I could. The spread was nice with delicious snacks from Jamba Juice, fruit and other yummy things. Massage was offered for a 5min free one, I just didn`t want to wait in line.
Next time it`s a run-bike-run I think I`ll waiver it to the following year, just not my cup of tea. Plus, the first 'mile' run had to have been longer than one mile! Not sure who measured it.
Other than all that, had a great time, enjoyed myself and learnt alot once again.

Last updated: 2006-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:51 | 00 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 71/200
Performance: Below average
NOT A SWIM, it was a 1 mile run due to the swim being canceled because of jelly fish (even though there were no jelly fish).I`m possitive this one mile was more like 1.3miles.
Suit:
Course: everyone started together, clockwise run around the park. It also started on grass and we had to run about 200meters on grass, it was kind of thick and bumpy.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:03
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:06 | 12 miles | 17.52 mile/hr
Overall: 57/200
Performance: Good
For me this was a fairly hilly ride. Not massive hills, but enough to make you have to work hard. Plus, the city needs to fix those roads, I hit more pot holes than you could imagine. What made it worse was for the first lap I couldn`t see squat due to the sun being directly in my eyes, so I was just winging it and obviously hit some serious holes in the road.
Wind: Little
Course: First mile was up hill, then it went fast down hill and flatened out for 4 miles or so. It was then a 2 lap course. Good ride, lots of people out running and riding on these roads giving lots of encouragment. It sure makes it fun and exciting when there are people calling out words of support along the way.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:35 | 03.11 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Overall: 83/200
Performance: Average
Course: around zoo and then the park. This was a strange run course. We had to run towards Waikiki, we were running with tourists strolling along the path, other runners, walkers and people just out and about. Most of them had no idea a race was taking place, so had to dodge them or run around them half the time. The half way point was so wonderful to finally reach, water!!!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-21 11:54 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
Subject: Na Wahine

2006-09-22 6:02 PM
in reply to: #548701

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: Na Wahine

Hey Tizzy,

Too bad about the swim being cancelled.  That's strange to have two swims cancelled in one season.  That's strange about the cramp only during the race but not in training.  It may be just a need to improve core strength.  Have you tried taking Endurolytes?  They work great for me with cramps.  Congratulations on finishing 6th and that was a pretty good second run.  I know a lot of people have a hard time breaking 30 minutes.  You should be proud of pushing through with the cramps.

Ernie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Na Wahine Rss Feed