General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Programs to Use Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2020-08-28 4:01 PM

Subject: Training Programs to Use
Hi there,

I'm just starting out and trying to figure out how I go about beginning my training.

I'm looked into different apps and programs and found a few that sound interesting, including PKRS.AI, Training Peaks, and Tri-Trainer.

Can anyone with experience with any of these give their impressions and recommendations?

Thanks for the help!

2020-08-29 8:46 AM
in reply to: FrodenosBiggestFan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Training Programs to Use
Originally posted by FrodenosBiggestFan

Hi there,

I'm just starting out and trying to figure out how I go about beginning my training.

I'm looked into different apps and programs and found a few that sound interesting, including PKRS.AI, Training Peaks, and Tri-Trainer.

Can anyone with experience with any of these give their impressions and recommendations?

Thanks for the help!

Personally, I would find a good book at the basic principles of endurance training.

This info will follow you as you progress through the sport.

Joe Friel has some books good enough to provide a base of knowledge.
2020-08-31 1:41 PM

+1 on Joe Friel, I've started reading his guides and they're solid advice!
2020-08-31 8:23 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Joe Friel's books are good for building a knowledge base--agree! I still use his checklists for racing (and have been in the sport for over a decade now). In my early years in the sport, I made a lot of use of the free programs on this site (plus there are more available with a paid Bronze or Silver membership for a pretty nominal fee). I found them generally well-designed with a good balance of training across the three sports, and used them with some success for races ranging from sprint to half-ironman distance. I did need to tweak them a little for my personal strengths, weaknesses, and time constraints. They are great for getting started.

If you want a more personalized approach, Training Peaks has a feature that allows you to find a coach, for a fee. Personally I think this is more useful after you have been in the sport for a while and have some idea of your strengths, weaknesses, and goals, and what type of expertise and level of support you are looking for in a coach.
2020-08-31 9:07 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Hi!
Please check out our Training Plans here (https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-list.asp)
We also have a Custom Training Plan Creator that makes a plan for you based on your current pace and abilities at each of the three sports. For example, if you need a lot of extra training in swimming, you can indicate you want a swim focus and you'll receive a plan with extra swim workouts.

We also have training logs that your plan will sync with. You can input your workouts by hand, or have your fitness watch upload to our site automatically.
2020-11-13 2:52 PM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Originally posted by alicefoeller

Hi!
Please check out our Training Plans here (https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-list.asp)

+1
I used many of these for my first spring and half ironman. Stick to the plan and modify the second time around, based on your needs.

2020-12-28 10:59 PM
in reply to: #5272131

I am interested in using the free plans on this site. I am particularly interested in the Olympic-2X balanced 20 week program. However, I would like to know if these plans are heart rate zone and power watt base driven? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated
2021-01-19 6:53 AM
in reply to: Jhollnagel13

i like ur article
2021-02-06 8:50 AM

I used the Beginner 1/2 Iron plan here and LOVED it. At a whopping 48 years old and a single parent with a kiddo with special needs I was still able to follow and fit it all in without having to spend time looking in many different places. This was my one stop for info and I finished in better than the time I hoped for and felt great even after the race. Was back on the road within just a couple of days. Was using the Beginner IM plan last year and was loving that too, but thanks to COVID no race. I'm back again hoping for the best.

I love the plans here and am more than happy to pay for the maintainence plans here for the off season. Encouraging, thorough, and provide tips for how and where you can tweak them to fit "real life" when stuff goes sideways and stern warnings what things are non-negotiable.
2021-02-24 10:30 AM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California

Matt Fitzgerald's week by week training guide. I used these plans for a number of different races, from Sprint to IM. Numerous plans for all levels and lengths of races

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Programs to Use Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

06.29.2012 - Monday Training and Training Roads Plans

Started by BlueBoy26
Views: 469 Posts: 1

2020-06-29 11:42 AM BlueBoy26

30 minute cycling plans using a power meter?

Started by lombardi3g
Views: 587 Posts: 6

2020-04-22 12:54 PM jmhpsu93

Good price for used bike?

Started by thorneric21
Views: 649 Posts: 5

2020-02-10 9:58 AM reecealan

01.07.2020 Tuesday Training - Post YOUR Training

Started by PigeonTri
Views: 448 Posts: 5

2020-01-08 6:49 AM jdwyer02

Using Data