BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 74

2021-02-18 10:53 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!
T minus 3 hours and 45 minutes to my first shot!!!

2021-02-18 10:57 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri T minus 3 hours and 45 minutes to my first shot!!!

I can tell that you are looking forward to the 5G coverage.

2021-02-18 4:19 PM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by alaskatri T minus 3 hours and 45 minutes to my first shot!!!

It's definitely not too bad. Although I keep picking up random baseball game coverage from the Lower 48 that is a little fuzzy. So I got the 5G mixed with a little bit of semi-solid AM radio version I think. :-D
2021-02-18 6:22 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by alaskatri

T minus 3 hours and 45 minutes to my first shot!!!
[/QUOTE
CONGRATULATIONS!
2021-02-18 6:29 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Hot Runner

OMG after seeing the weather this week, I don't think I'll complain about Oregon weather for a long time! We actually had a little sunshine today; supposed to rain for the next ten days. I have been monitoring the pharmacy websites for the past several days and managed to score Mom a vaccine appt. today. Guessing it was a last-minute cancellation as there was only one slot, at one store, two hours from the time I checked. So we are now both started on the shots. 8 days apart, which sounds like a good interval in case we get sick after jab #2.

And in other news, our pool is now down to 8 slots/month. It's steadily declined from 12 to 10 and now 8, if you can get them Ugh. You can also swim "standby"--have to wait for an extra 10-15 minutes, pay the same, and maybe get 45 minutes of swim time for your efforts if you're lucky.

Congratulations!
2021-02-18 6:29 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Hot Runner

OMG after seeing the weather this week, I don't think I'll complain about Oregon weather for a long time! We actually had a little sunshine today; supposed to rain for the next ten days. I have been monitoring the pharmacy websites for the past several days and managed to score Mom a vaccine appt. today. Guessing it was a last-minute cancellation as there was only one slot, at one store, two hours from the time I checked. So we are now both started on the shots. 8 days apart, which sounds like a good interval in case we get sick after jab #2.

And in other news, our pool is now down to 8 slots/month. It's steadily declined from 12 to 10 and now 8, if you can get them Ugh. You can also swim "standby"--have to wait for an extra 10-15 minutes, pay the same, and maybe get 45 minutes of swim time for your efforts if you're lucky.

Congratulations!

2021-02-18 10:54 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Part of our pool issue is that another year-round outdoor facility (where I used to swim, as it tends to have warmer water!) is closed for renovation. If/when that re-opens (supposed to be April or May), we'll be in better shape. Supposedly the outdoor part (there's also an indoor half, and they can connect--it's kind of unique) will now have 10 lanes. I think if current trends continue, the Y and one health club will soon re-open indoor pools with scheduling and one per lane, but at this point, I'm a lot more comfortable swimming outdoors.

Not just Covid worries, but over the past year, I've realized that pretty much ALL my issues with inconsistent training are resolved when swimming outdoors. (Hard to explain--basically feeling and performing like a completely different swimmer some days than others. As in 10-15+ seconds per 100.) I had looked into every possible cause from hormones to hydration/nutrition to technique and other training fatigue with no real answers. I rarely have an all-out wheezing asthma attack unless ventilation is truly awful, but after NOT dealing with poorly ventilated facilities for several months, I've realized that indoors, I often have a kind of low-grade attack where my breathing simply gets more difficult, I get slower and tire more easily, and my stroke starts going down the toilet, slowing me further. This has never happened in a race or OWS, which I thought was odd. Then I realized, it doesn't happen in outdoor pools either. Duh.
2021-02-19 6:33 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Part of our pool issue is that another year-round outdoor facility (where I used to swim, as it tends to have warmer water!) is closed for renovation. If/when that re-opens (supposed to be April or May), we'll be in better shape. Supposedly the outdoor part (there's also an indoor half, and they can connect--it's kind of unique) will now have 10 lanes. I think if current trends continue, the Y and one health club will soon re-open indoor pools with scheduling and one per lane, but at this point, I'm a lot more comfortable swimming outdoors. Not just Covid worries, but over the past year, I've realized that pretty much ALL my issues with inconsistent training are resolved when swimming outdoors. (Hard to explain--basically feeling and performing like a completely different swimmer some days than others. As in 10-15+ seconds per 100.) I had looked into every possible cause from hormones to hydration/nutrition to technique and other training fatigue with no real answers. I rarely have an all-out wheezing asthma attack unless ventilation is truly awful, but after NOT dealing with poorly ventilated facilities for several months, I've realized that indoors, I often have a kind of low-grade attack where my breathing simply gets more difficult, I get slower and tire more easily, and my stroke starts going down the toilet, slowing me further. This has never happened in a race or OWS, which I thought was odd. Then I realized, it doesn't happen in outdoor pools either. Duh.

I'm glad that you figured this out and that you live somewhere that has year round outdoor pools!

2021-02-19 6:34 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It's definitely not too bad. Although I keep picking up random baseball game coverage from the Lower 48 that is a little fuzzy. So I got the 5G mixed with a little bit of semi-solid AM radio version I think. :-D

I hope that the arm is OK today and the your 5G coverage continues to improve.

2021-02-19 10:51 AM

I hope that the arm is OK today and the your 5G coverage continues to improve.

Thanks. The arm is slightly tender, but otherwise I feel fine. I was pretty sleepy yesterday afternoon and into the evening that was abnormal. A friend of mine back east got her second Moderna shot two days ago and it wiped her out pretty good. Headaches, nauseous, the works. Not looking forward to that potential next month, but so far so good.
2021-02-21 7:28 AM

User image

Expert
I finished the Tour of Sufferlandria yesterday and it was a killer. Friday was two sprint videos, and that is not my forte, followed Saturday by two endurance videos. I really felt the fatigue on Saturday.
If you want to know who the real bad A$$ in the group is, it's Ann-Marie. She did the same workout I did, plus ran 6 miles with Teddy!

2021-02-21 8:02 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I finished the Tour of Sufferlandria yesterday and it was a killer. Friday was two sprint videos, and that is not my forte, followed Saturday by two endurance videos. I really felt the fatigue on Saturday. If you want to know who the real bad A$$ in the group is, it's Ann-Marie. She did the same workout I did, plus ran 6 miles with Teddy!

Congratulations on killing the tour! Doing it at the 100% nuclear option makes you both crazy and amazing!! I rode at generally 85% of my out-of-shape numbers; but I am happy with my tour in that I think I ended it stronger than I started, which was my goal. Now I need to see if I can keep my motivation up and get back into HIM bike shape.

2021-02-21 9:02 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Good day, I hope your weekend is going well. How is everyone doing on the JoGo? I think there is one week to go, although I have to admit that time is but a blur at this point. Enjoy the rest of the day, and I hope to see some of you on the Zoom call on Monday.

2021-02-21 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by JBacarella I finished the Tour of Sufferlandria yesterday and it was a killer. Friday was two sprint videos, and that is not my forte, followed Saturday by two endurance videos. I really felt the fatigue on Saturday. If you want to know who the real bad A$$ in the group is, it's Ann-Marie. She did the same workout I did, plus ran 6 miles with Teddy!

Congratulations on killing the tour! Doing it at the 100% nuclear option makes you both crazy and amazing!! I rode at generally 85% of my out-of-shape numbers; but I am happy with my tour in that I think I ended it stronger than I started, which was my goal. Now I need to see if I can keep my motivation up and get back into HIM bike shape.

Thank you.
I think the tour is a great jump start going into spring (mine starts in 3 months everyone else is 4 weeks). I just hope I can keep building on this so I'm ready for Tulsa.
2021-02-21 5:13 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Good day, I hope your weekend is going well. How is everyone doing on the JoGo? I think there is one week to go, although I have to admit that time is but a blur at this point. Enjoy the rest of the day, and I hope to see some of you on the Zoom call on Monday.

Thanks for posting this, Chris!

--

Monday the is the monthly Zoom call, if anyone is interested.

---

The last  Monday  of the month at 11:30am eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific).

Monday Meetup: https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

Password: manatee

2021-02-21 5:15 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations to both Jim and Ann-Marie for completing the Tour of Sufferlandria!

2021-02-21 5:20 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

To answer the JoGo question posed by Chris -- this week went well.  Endurance Nation has an ENverest challenge.  The February edition was 12 hours of training in one week and I knocked that out.  We were allowed to count anything that we recorded in Strava but they used the Strava leaderboard so I felt compelled to do 12 hours of (S)/B/R.

In other news, we finally had a few rain-free days!

I hope that everyone else is doing well!

2021-02-21 8:20 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sadly I still have to pass on this one due to our Zoom class starting at 8:30. Might be able to make the next one if it falls during our spring break (March 22-26) but I guess the last Monday would then be the 29th, so maybe not. It might be June.....Not sure I'll make it!

Hard to explain, but owing to a combo of district decisions that make a lot more sense for big schools than small schools like ours, and which of our staff have which licenses and bilingual skills, staring March 8, I'll be responsible for the 18 kids in our school whose parents decided they should remain online for the rest of the year. On the positive side, that means I'll have minimal exposure to Covid and other kid bugs, on the negative side, those 18 kids are in FOUR DIFFERENT GRADES (K, 1, 3, and 4). I have never taught below Grade 3. Twelve daily preps--Chinese, English, and math for each grade. Hoping I can coordinate with my colleagues so I'm basically "subbing" with the younger kids and just carrying out their plans online, and not having to make it ALL up as I go along!
2021-02-22 6:15 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Sadly I still have to pass on this one due to our Zoom class starting at 8:30. Might be able to make the next one if it falls during our spring break (March 22-26) but I guess the last Monday would then be the 29th, so maybe not. It might be June.....Not sure I'll make it! Hard to explain, but owing to a combo of district decisions that make a lot more sense for big schools than small schools like ours, and which of our staff have which licenses and bilingual skills, staring March 8, I'll be responsible for the 18 kids in our school whose parents decided they should remain online for the rest of the year. On the positive side, that means I'll have minimal exposure to Covid and other kid bugs, on the negative side, those 18 kids are in FOUR DIFFERENT GRADES (K, 1, 3, and 4). I have never taught below Grade 3. Twelve daily preps--Chinese, English, and math for each grade. Hoping I can coordinate with my colleagues so I'm basically "subbing" with the younger kids and just carrying out their plans online, and not having to make it ALL up as I go along!

I guess it's good that you can be remote? I sure hope that your colleagues have your back!

Hang in there!

2021-02-22 6:46 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Sadly I still have to pass on this one due to our Zoom class starting at 8:30. Might be able to make the next one if it falls during our spring break (March 22-26) but I guess the last Monday would then be the 29th, so maybe not. It might be June.....Not sure I'll make it! Hard to explain, but owing to a combo of district decisions that make a lot more sense for big schools than small schools like ours, and which of our staff have which licenses and bilingual skills, staring March 8, I'll be responsible for the 18 kids in our school whose parents decided they should remain online for the rest of the year. On the positive side, that means I'll have minimal exposure to Covid and other kid bugs, on the negative side, those 18 kids are in FOUR DIFFERENT GRADES (K, 1, 3, and 4). I have never taught below Grade 3. Twelve daily preps--Chinese, English, and math for each grade. Hoping I can coordinate with my colleagues so I'm basically "subbing" with the younger kids and just carrying out their plans online, and not having to make it ALL up as I go along!

Yikes! But also interesting that you teach Chinese !!

2021-02-22 12:34 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Originally posted by amd723

Yikes! But also interesting that you teach Chinese !!

It sounds like you'll be busy, Karen, but add me to the list of those impressed that you speak a second language well enough to teach it!

2021-02-22 3:18 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

--

---

The last  Monday  of the month at 11:30am eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific).

Good to see you today, Janyne, and even better to know that you are whittling down the bike options

Enjoy the week everyone, Karen I hope that the good outweighs the bad!!!

2021-02-23 12:04 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Re: Ironman's video

Ironman's CEO Just Did What No Brand Should Ever Do

You see, in Ironman's case, the message seems to be that "this is what we're doing because this is the best thing for Ironman." The problem is that sometimes what seems like the best thing for a business is actually the worst thing for a brand.

So many companies have been erring on the side of being flexible with their customers. Airlines, for example, took extraordinary measures to eliminate fees, block off seats, allow changes, and implement safety measures.

That's how you build trust, which--for a brand built on a community like Ironman--is the most important thing. Instead, Ironman is sticking to its policy. Again, it's within its rights to do that, but that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. Once you've lost trust with the people who give you money, don't be surprised if they aren't willing to do that in the future.

2021-02-23 12:07 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

--

---

Good to see you today, Janyne, and even better to know that you are whittling down the bike options

Enjoy the week everyone, Karen I hope that the good outweighs the bad!!!

Thanks for listening to my bike talk!  I did email the shop about the Niner. I have not heard back yet. When I hear back from Matt, I'll see if I can test the Niner and Cervelo back-to-back. The shops are pretty close to each other.

Kevin may go and "check the mail" this weekend and I might take that time see if I can get my eyes on a 3T Exploro and a Salsa Warbird.

2021-02-23 6:09 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Re: Ironman's video

Ironman's CEO Just Did What No Brand Should Ever Do

You see, in Ironman's case, the message seems to be that "this is what we're doing because this is the best thing for Ironman." The problem is that sometimes what seems like the best thing for a business is actually the worst thing for a brand.

So many companies have been erring on the side of being flexible with their customers. Airlines, for example, took extraordinary measures to eliminate fees, block off seats, allow changes, and implement safety measures.

That's how you build trust, which--for a brand built on a community like Ironman--is the most important thing. Instead, Ironman is sticking to its policy. Again, it's within its rights to do that, but that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. Once you've lost trust with the people who give you money, don't be surprised if they aren't willing to do that in the future.

Wow, that was a big slap down of IM! Doubt it will make a difference, but I'm happy that it happened!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74