2021-03-26 2:04 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by ceilidh Happy Friday, Manatees.

Happy Friday to you too! I've got short run miles this weekend bc, in theory, I'm racing a HM next weekend! Woo Hoo! It's still "in theory" bc until it happens I won't completely believe I will actually be racing.

Yay to racing! I was surprised IMTX was moved. D1 was in Houston until last week before she moved to Brownsville and it was like the wild West. No rules and every person for them self. Canada has some very strict consumer protection rules that we don't. Plus they are a lot nicer than Americans I feel really confident IM Tulsa will be a go. IM just changed the start and finish of the bike course. The finish is in the City of Tulsa, so they had to have approval. I'm feeling positive, because all of us will have our vaccination plus 2 weeks by time we go. I am really surprised, because there are some really large events scheduled in Michigan, including a marathon. We are at 26% of the adults are vaccinated and they expect 50% by the end of April. It appears that several of the I'm not getting vaccinated people are changing their minds the more people get the shot, without serious issues. I don't have to have the "I don't know what in it/ you eat chicken nuggets and you don't know what's in that" discussion very much anymore.

That's funny!

2021-03-26 2:21 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by ceilidh Happy Friday, Manatees.

Happy Friday to you too! I've got short run miles this weekend bc, in theory, I'm racing a HM next weekend! Woo Hoo! It's still "in theory" bc until it happens I won't completely believe I will actually be racing.

Yay to racing! I was surprised IMTX was moved. D1 was in Houston until last week before she moved to Brownsville and it was like the wild West. No rules and every person for them self. Canada has some very strict consumer protection rules that we don't. Plus they are a lot nicer than Americans I feel really confident IM Tulsa will be a go. IM just changed the start and finish of the bike course. The finish is in the City of Tulsa, so they had to have approval. I'm feeling positive, because all of us will have our vaccination plus 2 weeks by time we go. I am really surprised, because there are some really large events scheduled in Michigan, including a marathon. We are at 26% of the adults are vaccinated and they expect 50% by the end of April. It appears that several of the I'm not getting vaccinated people are changing their minds the more people get the shot, without serious issues. I don't have to have the "I don't know what in it/ you eat chicken nuggets and you don't know what's in that" discussion very much anymore.

That's funny!

And so true!

2021-03-26 6:08 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

OMG! Ironman's excellent communications continue.  I see that IM Canada folks are getting refunds but have not received communication that the event has been canceled.

(Don't get me started on who gets refunds and if IM follows their own refund policy.)

UPDATE: It looks like this was in advance of an official decision from IM.

Just read that the refunds were a mistake.

2021-03-27 5:30 AM

User image

Oh wow - I wanted to share some good vibes on this wonderful Aloha Friday! After weeks of nonstop tropical downpours with almost daily issued flood watches we're having a few days of sun and today the sky was all blue! I celebrated with a family hike at in the volcano park and it was the most magical thing.

But what a month this has been! Training was all going well by mid February, but then I got my second Covid shot and was out with fever for several days. When I tried running almost a week later I got bad cramps in my calves. I tried stretching and massaging, but the pain was pretty stubborn. Tried low impact exercise, but that was no good either. So I tried taking a break - and that helped. Back to running again a week later but with pain reappearing. So I have to admit that my motivation hit a low point after a couple of weeks with incessant rain and sore calves.

But after about another week of moping about I finally got myself together and did a short slow run, started a leg-focused strength routine, and have started doing a stretchy yoga routine on non-running mornings. Was very proud that I got my butt out the door getting soaked over and over and the combo of strength + yoga seems to work well. Finally feel I have turned it all around again.

I haven't been on the bike for all this time, though. All my routes are along flood prone areas, and biking in torrential downpours with poor visibility is not great out here. And I can't bring myself to invest in a home trainer as the decent ones seem pretty expensive. Kinda wish I had for this month ... How do you deal with weather like this for the biking?
2021-03-27 4:34 PM
in reply to: Johanne

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Johanne

Oh wow - I wanted to share some good vibes on this wonderful Aloha Friday! After weeks of nonstop tropical downpours with almost daily issued flood watches we're having a few days of sun and today the sky was all blue! I celebrated with a family hike at in the volcano park and it was the most magical thing.

But what a month this has been! Training was all going well by mid February, but then I got my second Covid shot and was out with fever for several days. When I tried running almost a week later I got bad cramps in my calves. I tried stretching and massaging, but the pain was pretty stubborn. Tried low impact exercise, but that was no good either. So I tried taking a break - and that helped. Back to running again a week later but with pain reappearing. So I have to admit that my motivation hit a low point after a couple of weeks with incessant rain and sore calves.

But after about another week of moping about I finally got myself together and did a short slow run, started a leg-focused strength routine, and have started doing a stretchy yoga routine on non-running mornings. Was very proud that I got my butt out the door getting soaked over and over and the combo of strength + yoga seems to work well. Finally feel I have turned it all around again.

I haven't been on the bike for all this time, though. All my routes are along flood prone areas, and biking in torrential downpours with poor visibility is not great out here. And I can't bring myself to invest in a home trainer as the decent ones seem pretty expensive. Kinda wish I had for this month ... How do you deal with weather like this for the biking?

I'm happy to hear you are doing better and have worked through things. It's funny how everyone has different immune responses to the
vaccine. My wife and I have had a limited reaction, but our son had a fairly severe reaction. D2 (the one in med school and my personal expert) said that since our son had COVID his immune reaction was going to be more severe. Everyone is different and our bodys respond differently.
2021-03-27 4:50 PM

User image

Expert
I don't know if any of the Sufferlandrians are doing the Step Up challenge this weekend, but the documentary that corresponds with the second workout, "Half of the Road" is worth watching. It is a little older, but looks at the disparity between male and female professional cyclists. The film spends some time discussing the difference between pro cycling and pro triathlon, and they interview Chrissy Wellington. It did make me proud to be associated with triathlon. I like the fact that we all race on the same course, at same time, women, men, pro, amateur. I did not know, mostly because I never looked, but the prize money for both the men and the women professions is the same.
Happy step up day. I hope there comes a day when the thought of women and men not being paid the same is as nostalgic (I'm struggling with the right word for my thought) as using a rotary phone.

2021-03-27 8:21 PM
in reply to: Johanne

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I've seen the floods in Hawaii on the news--that looks awful! Honestly, a trainer is well worth the money with unreliable weather and limited places to ride. Even fairly cheap ones do the job. I have a Cyclops Magneto "dumb trainer" that was less than $200 (I realize you'd probably have to pay some "paradise tax" though) and it has held up to hard training for years. Definitely worth the $$ for safety and convenience. (In normal years I do much of my training very early morning before work.) You can spend a lot of money on fancier models and electronics (power meters, smart trainers) but really not needed unless you are extremely concerned about noise (fluid trainers are marginally quieter), a really strong cyclist (higher end ones might provide more suitable resistance if you routinely pull 300+ watts, which most women don't), or really go in for Zwift or similar virtual riding.

I also had a weird experience with the Covid vaccines. Not much of anything after the first--just a somewhat sore arm. But I felt like for a week or so my workouts wiped me out in a way they usually don't. Ditto with #2--Compared to my colleagues, I felt like I got of lightly fwith just a day or so of fatigue, headache and body aches, but no fever. But then a week of sucky workouts again. It would take me forever to get going at normal speed, then I'd gradually feel better, get it done, and then be exhausted the rest of the day. Dunno....In my case my cycle was synching perfectly with our employee vaccine clinics (4 weeks apart....) so it could have had to do with hormones as well as vaccines!

2021-03-28 3:28 PM
in reply to: #5273965

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Greetings my manatee friends!

Proof of life post!

5 days until spring break and after that, 29 more days of teaching. I will be SO happy for the daily reprieve from enforcing masks and sanitizing everything for my 8th graders.

Pfizer dose #2 goes in my arm on Wednesday!

Number one best 4-legged boy, James, is responding well to the medication for his lung tumor. Hoping we can keep him comfortable for as long as possible.

Number three best 4-legged boy, Zink, had surgery last week to remove a pin that migrated after his luxating patella surgery last year. He's healed up perfectly.

Because Chris' medical bills from his car accident in January were half of what we expected, I had some money burning a hole in my pocket...

And N+1

I bought a new bike yesterday! Specialized Diverge Carbon Comp in this orange color. I've enjoyed my Salsa Journeyman, but it is a TANK!
Because she's a redhead (orangehead?), her name shall be "Peg Bundy!"

Finally started clipping in on my MTB and had the BEST ride of my life this morning!

Triathlon happened locally yesterday, with a sprint distance race at the local Army base.
2021-03-29 1:49 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by glfprncsGreetings my manatee friends!Proof of life post!5 days until spring break and after that, 29 more days of teaching. I will be SO happy for the daily reprieve from enforcing masks and sanitizing everything for my 8th graders. Pfizer dose #2 goes in my arm on Wednesday!Number one best 4-legged boy, James, is responding well to the medication for his lung tumor. Hoping we can keep him comfortable for as long as possible.Number three best 4-legged boy, Zink, had surgery last week to remove a pin that migrated after his luxating patella surgery last year. He's healed up perfectly.Because Chris' medical bills from his car accident in January were half of what we expected, I had some money burning a hole in my pocket...And N+1I bought a new bike yesterday! Specialized Diverge Carbon Comp in this orange color. I've enjoyed my Salsa Journeyman, but it is a TANK!Because she's a redhead (orangehead?), her name shall be "Peg Bundy!" Finally started clipping in on my MTB and had the BEST ride of my life this morning!Triathlon happened locally yesterday, with a sprint distance race at the local Army base.
N+1!!!!!!!! And now clipped in, zoom!Happy 5G installment week.
2021-03-29 2:01 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs Greetings my manatee friends! Proof of life post! 5 days until spring break and after that, 29 more days of teaching. I will be SO happy for the daily reprieve from enforcing masks and sanitizing everything for my 8th graders. Pfizer dose #2 goes in my arm on Wednesday! Number one best 4-legged boy, James, is responding well to the medication for his lung tumor. Hoping we can keep him comfortable for as long as possible. Number three best 4-legged boy, Zink, had surgery last week to remove a pin that migrated after his luxating patella surgery last year. He's healed up perfectly. Because Chris' medical bills from his car accident in January were half of what we expected, I had some money burning a hole in my pocket... And N+1 I bought a new bike yesterday! Specialized Diverge Carbon Comp in this orange color. I've enjoyed my Salsa Journeyman, but it is a TANK! Because she's a redhead (orangehead?), her name shall be "Peg Bundy!" Finally started clipping in on my MTB and had the BEST ride of my life this morning! Triathlon happened locally yesterday, with a sprint distance race at the local Army base.

A bunch of good stuff !

2021-03-29 5:28 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by glfprncs

Greetings my manatee friends!

Proof of life post!

5 days until spring break and after that, 29 more days of teaching. I will be SO happy for the daily reprieve from enforcing masks and sanitizing everything for my 8th graders.

Pfizer dose #2 goes in my arm on Wednesday!

Number one best 4-legged boy, James, is responding well to the medication for his lung tumor. Hoping we can keep him comfortable for as long as possible.

Number three best 4-legged boy, Zink, had surgery last week to remove a pin that migrated after his luxating patella surgery last year. He's healed up perfectly.

Because Chris' medical bills from his car accident in January were half of what we expected, I had some money burning a hole in my pocket...

And N+1

I bought a new bike yesterday! Specialized Diverge Carbon Comp in this orange color. I've enjoyed my Salsa Journeyman, but it is a TANK!
Because she's a redhead (orangehead?), her name shall be "Peg Bundy!"

Finally started clipping in on my MTB and had the BEST ride of my life this morning!

Triathlon happened locally yesterday, with a sprint distance race at the local Army base.

Great POL post. Happy to hear about these many good things. A new bike always makes things even better.

2021-03-30 10:17 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Rant alert:

As you have heard before, IM 70.3 events have a policy of no refunds (outside of a piddling 75 bucks) and zero deferrals. They have held to this even with COVID- a worldwide pandemic!!! "No exceptions, you knew what you were signing" is their repeated refrain. Due to my back injury, I will not be able to even think about racing until next year. Everyone of my races operated by small companies has either refunded or deferred. EVERY ONE. Even ones I had a previous deferral from for injuries! EVERY ONE! That is 6 different races operated by 5 different, small companies. Ironman can go stick it in their azz!

2021-03-30 11:27 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh

Rant alert:

As you have heard before, IM 70.3 events have a policy of no refunds (outside of a piddling 75 bucks) and zero deferrals. They have held to this even with COVID- a worldwide pandemic!!! "No exceptions, you knew what you were signing" is their repeated refrain. Due to my back injury, I will not be able to even think about racing until next year. Everyone of my races operated by small companies has either refunded or deferred. EVERY ONE. Even ones I had a previous deferral from for injuries! EVERY ONE! That is 6 different races operated by 5 different, small companies. Ironman can go stick it in their azz!

it's amazing how the big boys on the block don't have the money to give refunds! Did you try to defer Choo and get told no? I haven't tried yet, but think Janyne was told she could defer, but no refund.

2021-03-30 12:07 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella I don't know if any of the Sufferlandrians are doing the Step Up challenge this weekend, but the documentary that corresponds with the second workout, "Half of the Road" is worth watching. It is a little older, but looks at the disparity between male and female professional cyclists. The film spends some time discussing the difference between pro cycling and pro triathlon, and they interview Chrissy Wellington. It did make me proud to be associated with triathlon. I like the fact that we all race on the same course, at same time, women, men, pro, amateur. I did not know, mostly because I never looked, but the prize money for both the men and the women professions is the same. Happy step up day. I hope there comes a day when the thought of women and men not being paid the same is as nostalgic (I'm struggling with the right word for my thought) as using a rotary phone.

For a short time, Kevin and I had the same second line manager.  I was pursuing a certification at the time.  The company reimbursed me for the cost of the classes and the agreement was that after the certification was completed, a promotion would follow.  I completed all of the classes.  Nothing happened.  I went to my manager who sent me to her manager who said, "I know what Kevin makes. You don't need a promotion."

2021-03-30 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs Greetings my manatee friends! Proof of life post! 5 days until spring break and after that, 29 more days of teaching. I will be SO happy for the daily reprieve from enforcing masks and sanitizing everything for my 8th graders. Pfizer dose #2 goes in my arm on Wednesday! Number one best 4-legged boy, James, is responding well to the medication for his lung tumor. Hoping we can keep him comfortable for as long as possible. Number three best 4-legged boy, Zink, had surgery last week to remove a pin that migrated after his luxating patella surgery last year. He's healed up perfectly. Because Chris' medical bills from his car accident in January were half of what we expected, I had some money burning a hole in my pocket... And N+1 I bought a new bike yesterday! Specialized Diverge Carbon Comp in this orange color. I've enjoyed my Salsa Journeyman, but it is a TANK! Because she's a redhead (orangehead?), her name shall be "Peg Bundy!" Finally started clipping in on my MTB and had the BEST ride of my life this morning! Triathlon happened locally yesterday, with a sprint distance race at the local Army base.

Congratulation on the new bike! I think of that color as "mimosa."  Is that wrong?

Congrats on all of the other good stuff too -- improved dog health, lower human bills than expected, end of semester, clipping in...

2021-03-30 12:11 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Rant alert:

it's amazing how the big boys on the block don't have the money to give refunds! Did you try to defer Choo and get told no? I haven't tried yet, but think Janyne was told she could defer, but no refund.

I'm getting my "entertainment" from them one way or another.  Still trying.

2021-03-30 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I don't know if any of the Sufferlandrians are doing the Step Up challenge this weekend, but the documentary that corresponds with the second workout, "Half of the Road" is worth watching. It is a little older, but looks at the disparity between male and female professional cyclists. The film spends some time discussing the difference between pro cycling and pro triathlon, and they interview Chrissy Wellington. It did make me proud to be associated with triathlon. I like the fact that we all race on the same course, at same time, women, men, pro, amateur. I did not know, mostly because I never looked, but the prize money for both the men and the women professions is the same. Happy step up day. I hope there comes a day when the thought of women and men not being paid the same is as nostalgic (I'm struggling with the right word for my thought) as using a rotary phone.

For a short time, Kevin and I had the same second line manager.  I was pursuing a certification at the time.  The company reimbursed me for the cost of the classes and the agreement was that after the certification was completed, a promotion would follow.  I completed all of the classes.  Nothing happened.  I went to my manager who sent me to her manager who said, "I know what Kevin makes. You don't need a promotion."

I'd say that is unbelievable, but sadly it is very believable.

2021-03-30 2:04 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member

That is SO wrong.
2021-03-30 2:05 PM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Micawber

That is SO wrong.

As you can imagine, I took their tuition reimbursement, along with my certification, and left the company.  Kevin left too.

2021-03-30 3:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Bronze member

That is SO wrong.

As you can imagine, I took their tuition reimbursement, along with my certification, and left the company.  Kevin left too.

Gii
Good for you both!

Edited by ceilidh 2021-03-30 3:23 PM
2021-03-30 6:07 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Expert

That is SO wrong.

Gii
Good for you both!

That company didn't deserve either of you. Good for you for moving on.

2021-03-31 9:48 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I saw this in my Strava feed and I thought to myself, "We've found the Covid 19!"

(Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 7.51.12 AM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 7.51.12 AM.png (1345KB - 1 downloads)
2021-03-31 2:31 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I saw this in my Strava feed and I thought to myself, "We've found the Covid 19!"

I saw that. Yup, that is it!

That is a good workout, too. One of my favorites.

2021-03-31 8:56 PM

User image

Expert

That is my favorite Sufferfest video "The Wretched" COVID has been tough on me.
2021-04-01 1:33 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Holy hell! I dont know where you are, but we are having HUGE winds today as the cold front comes through. I just watched our weather station log a 52 MPH gust. Our 3 story log house that is built strong shook! I was going to be brave and take my "run" outside today to see the flowers before the freeze gets them. Nope. Hunkering down..
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74