2021-06-07 2:02 PM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by Micawber
Originally posted by jenstewey

HI everyone - I am long overdue for a proof of life post!  I hate that my office prohibits posting to public sites.  I regularly read everyones posts and try to follow blogs, but am not able to publicly post.

Sooo.......

Another 'proof of life' post from me too. I was away from home for a couple weeks and that's not the sort of thing that should get posted online. Also, I agree, very nice looking bike!

Welcome back!

2021-06-07 2:18 PM
in reply to: jenstewey

Originally posted by jenstewey

HI everyone - I am long overdue for a proof of life post!  I hate that my office prohibits posting to public sites.  I regularly read everyones posts and try to follow blogs, but am not able to publicly post.

Sooo....... my life has not altered much during covid.  At first I was on an every-other-week schedule, but have been back to full time in the office since the end of last summer.  I am happy things are starting to reopen.  I am training for Musselman in Finger Lakes, NY this July - my first race since MiamiMan in 2019 when I qualified for world championships in aquathlon and aquabike (and since made the difficult decision not to travel internationally this year even though 2020 was postponed to 2021).

Hills have always been my kryptonite.  I have chosen almost all my races based on a flat course.  I will take brutal wind over hills any day!  It's always bothered me that I am such a scaredy-cat about hills (I think I have anxiety-induced asthma and my HR spikes to zone 5 just thinking about hills).  So I decided this was going to be the year I worked on that.  I think Musselman is hilly - I have looked at past race reports and my Team Z coach as informed me about ~3300 feet of climbing. Yikes!  That said, the race website advertises a new course for this year and *claims* only about 1400 feet of elevation gain.  I'm not sure I believe it but am cautiously optimistic.  Still... I continue to torture myself with trying to get better at hills.

To that end, I wasn't feeling comfortable on my tri bike, so I made a super spontaneous decision to buy a new road bike to help me with my goals!  She doesn't have a name yet, but here's what I ended up with - didn't realize it was still hard to find availability after covid demand for bikes.  So far I am quite pleased and feeling great..... but still not so sure of myself on hills!

Great bike Jen. It definitely screams Look at me. Hahaha
2021-06-07 7:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

We had a fire caused by a lightning strike in the property where our (SCORR) trails are, last week. It burned right through 5 miles of our single track. It was weird, since Ann and I were out riding last week in another part of the property when it happened. So, after checking with the land manager, we went out there this evening and marked a number of spots that need attention. Downed trees and hot spots and such. I put some of the pics of the trees and such on my Strava post. It is absolutley surreal.

So yeah, no races, but things have been interesting. I hope everyone is well.

Edited by cdban66 2021-06-07 7:52 PM
2021-06-07 8:38 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by cdban66

We had a fire caused by a lightning strike in the property where our (SCORR) trails are, last week. It burned right through 5 miles of our single track. It was weird, since Ann and I were out riding last week in another part of the property when it happened. So, after checking with the land manager, we went out there this evening and marked a number of spots that need attention. Downed trees and hot spots and such. I put some of the pics of the trees and such on my Strava post. It is absolutley surreal.

Oh wow, that does sound surreal! I am glad nobody got hurt/no property damage (I assume).
2021-06-08 4:43 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by glfprncs

Anyone ever done Unbound Gravel (formerly D.K.)? Thinking about putting my name in the lottery for the 100 in 2022.

I did the 100 distance in 2017 and the 200 in 2018, when it was still Dirty Kanza. Some of our friends attempted the XL distance this past weekend and had to drop out at mile 118.
It's the Ironman of gravel. The mood in Emporia, KS is amazing and the whole town gets behind the event.
The race itself is tough --- hilly, rugged country with different types of roads and there is an ever-present wind. It can be hot.
The finish line is incredible!
One tip --- if you will be staying in a hotel, get your hotel room now! It sounds crazy but there aren't enough hotels in Emporia to go around. You can always cancel if you end up not getting in.
2021-06-08 4:44 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by JBacarella

Nice bike! I really like the color

I agree, beautiful bike!

2021-06-08 6:49 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I hope that no one was injured in the fire.  Thanks for helping out SCORR with the scouting.  Take care!

2021-06-08 7:10 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

wow, lightning is scary! I haven't had more than 5 minutes of rain in my neighborhood in over a month, so if we get a lightning strike it could be nasty!

2021-06-08 9:35 AM
in reply to: #5273965

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
We have been a bit concerned with the dryness this year. Just a few good rain days would really help.
2021-06-08 10:12 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Scary yet fascinating.  I saw the photos on Stava but didn't know how to interpret them.  Well, that and I didn't have my glasses on, LOL.  Thank you for being such good trail stewards!

2021-06-08 6:08 PM

User image

Expert

We have been a bit concerned with the dryness this year. Just a few good rain days would really help.

Those are scary. I saw the pictures too. Pretty wild. We lost several thousand acres of national forest last most when a controlled burn got out of control. Now a big chunk of forest where I ride looks like a moonscape.

2021-06-08 6:37 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by cdban66 We have been a bit concerned with the dryness this year. Just a few good rain days would really help.
Those are scary. I saw the pictures too. Pretty wild. We lost several thousand acres of national forest last most when a controlled burn got out of control. Now a big chunk of forest where I ride looks like a moonscape.

I was hoping to get back out to another piece of trail and mark a few more spots, but it wasn't to be. On the good side, a couple hours of rain are just what we needed. Welcome to summer in Florida, if it isn't raining, the humidity will make you wish it was. 

And yes, I agree with the moonscape comparison. I had a conversation with a fire fighter who I ride with sometimes. He went out there the day before I did and thought the fire may have hurt the pine trees, due to the longer burn times than a regular controlled burn. Probably the same with your out of control burn, Jim. I've ridden in controlled burn areas after it's over, but this is another level of destruction. We didn't get a picture of the spot, but we're pretty sure we found ground zero. It was bad. And this is part of the reason controlled burning is often used down here. When done well, it really mitigates the danger. 

2021-06-08 7:48 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
So sad! That is what happened to a large chunk of my paradise in the fires last fall here. I haven't had the heart to go back into the area that burned yet. Last Saturday we rode to right outside the last town to the east that didn't suffer severe damage. Already worried about this summer's fire season. With some notable exceptions, like the last few days, we've had a very dry spring and are already having drought conditions in some areas. People can say what they want about climate change, but it's very real here. For decades I would fall asleep to the sound of steady rain on the roof throughout the night (the most Oregonian sound in the world) in winter and spring (if I happened to be here), now, despite being a worse sleeper than when I was younger and in Oregon full time, I could count on one hand the nights that it did that over the past few years.
2021-06-09 9:31 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Hot Runner

So sad! That is what happened to a large chunk of my paradise in the fires last fall here. I haven't had the heart to go back into the area that burned yet. Last Saturday we rode to right outside the last town to the east that didn't suffer severe damage. Already worried about this summer's fire season. With some notable exceptions, like the last few days, we've had a very dry spring and are already having drought conditions in some areas. People can say what they want about climate change, but it's very real here. For decades I would fall asleep to the sound of steady rain on the roof throughout the night (the most Oregonian sound in the world) in winter and spring (if I happened to be here), now, despite being a worse sleeper than when I was younger and in Oregon full time, I could count on one hand the nights that it did that over the past few years.

Interesting. I am sorry it's being so bad there
In Colorado we actually have had an extremely rainy spring, thus, everyone is optimistic about the fires this coming summer. There will be some for sure, but at least not as crazy as last year.
2021-06-09 10:44 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by Hot Runner So sad! That is what happened to a large chunk of my paradise in the fires last fall here. I haven't had the heart to go back into the area that burned yet. Last Saturday we rode to right outside the last town to the east that didn't suffer severe damage. Already worried about this summer's fire season. With some notable exceptions, like the last few days, we've had a very dry spring and are already having drought conditions in some areas. People can say what they want about climate change, but it's very real here. For decades I would fall asleep to the sound of steady rain on the roof throughout the night (the most Oregonian sound in the world) in winter and spring (if I happened to be here), now, despite being a worse sleeper than when I was younger and in Oregon full time, I could count on one hand the nights that it did that over the past few years.
Interesting. I am sorry it's being so bad there In Colorado we actually have had an extremely rainy spring, thus, everyone is optimistic about the fires this coming summer. There will be some for sure, but at least not as crazy as last year.

It's interesting what news reports say.  I was surprised that you said CO was in good shape because I have been hearing that it's extremely try.  It looks like that's just the western part of CO.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?CO

2021-06-09 11:02 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by Hot Runner So sad! That is what happened to a large chunk of my paradise in the fires last fall here. I haven't had the heart to go back into the area that burned yet. Last Saturday we rode to right outside the last town to the east that didn't suffer severe damage. Already worried about this summer's fire season. With some notable exceptions, like the last few days, we've had a very dry spring and are already having drought conditions in some areas. People can say what they want about climate change, but it's very real here. For decades I would fall asleep to the sound of steady rain on the roof throughout the night (the most Oregonian sound in the world) in winter and spring (if I happened to be here), now, despite being a worse sleeper than when I was younger and in Oregon full time, I could count on one hand the nights that it did that over the past few years.
Interesting. I am sorry it's being so bad there In Colorado we actually have had an extremely rainy spring, thus, everyone is optimistic about the fires this coming summer. There will be some for sure, but at least not as crazy as last year.

It's interesting what news reports say.  I was surprised that you said CO was in good shape because I have been hearing that it's extremely try.  It looks like that's just the western part of CO.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?CO

It's my first year in CO, so I am not a local expert, but whoever I talked to in the last few weeks/months, everyone claims how wet it's been. And honestly, we did get lots of rain in the last few months.

Now, another story is the heat wave that we are experiencing right now - in the last few days. Not sure how long it will last and how it will affect future months. However, rumor has it that the recent weeks of rain were much of help.

2021-06-09 8:41 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by cdban66 We have been a bit concerned with the dryness this year. Just a few good rain days would really help.

I was hoping to get back out to another piece of trail and mark a few more spots, but it wasn't to be. On the good side, a couple hours of rain are just what we needed. Welcome to summer in Florida, if it isn't raining, the humidity will make you wish it was. 

And yes, I agree with the moonscape comparison. I had a conversation with a fire fighter who I ride with sometimes. He went out there the day before I did and thought the fire may have hurt the pine trees, due to the longer burn times than a regular controlled burn. Probably the same with your out of control burn, Jim. I've ridden in controlled burn areas after it's over, but this is another level of destruction. We didn't get a picture of the spot, but we're pretty sure we found ground zero. It was bad. And this is part of the reason controlled burning is often used down here. When done well, it really mitigates the danger. 

You're right, there is a huge difference between the damage a controlled burn does and one that is not. We have a lot of national forest here and controlled burns are a regular thing, but then again so are uncontrolled ones. It's good for the forest and for the wildlife. We had one in the 90's and they discovered that our local white pines grow better and release more seeds from the pine cones when they have been exposed to heat.
Our fire this spring burned roughly 10 times the forest than intended. I think only one house was lost.
2021-06-10 8:10 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Fun Strava feature this month:  edit the title of any outdoor mapped activity by putting the rainbow emoji at the end and it will color your route in the colors of diversity and pride.

2021-06-10 2:01 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Fun Strava feature this month:  edit the title of any outdoor mapped activity by putting the rainbow emoji at the end and it will color your route in the colors of diversity and pride.

Cool!

2021-06-10 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

June 12-13
Janyne - Loudoun 1725 Gravel Grinder on Sunday
Anne - Ride the Rockies, Durango CO (June 12-18)

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2021-06-10 2:32 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

June 12-13

Dooo eeettt!!!

Yay, racing manatees! Go have some fun Janyne and Anne!!

Just a typical weekend for me this weekend -run Saturday, ride Sunday. Hope others have more excitement than that planned.

2021-06-10 2:32 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

neat!

2021-06-10 3:51 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

neat!

So fun! Someone at work shared that if you create a Google Sheet and put P-R-I-D-E in the columns (one letter per column) it turns the sheet pride colours. So cool! 

2021-06-11 2:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

June 12-13

Dooo eeettt!!!

Good luck racers!

My area's restrictions eased up this week and I have a lane booked tomorrow at the local pool, for the first time in well over a year. Turns out my swimsuit has shrunk in the drawer while waiting, so I'm shopping this evening. :D

Edited by Micawber 2021-06-11 2:13 PM
2021-06-11 2:58 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

June 12-13

Dooo eeettt!!!

TWO RACING MANATEES!!!!  So exciting!  Have fun out there, ladies, and show 'em whatcha got!

Ride + possible brick for me tomorrow, then another fundraising swim in an outdoor pool on Sunday.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74