in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by rrrunner

*sneaks in quietly and sits in the back*

*ruining the sneaky entrance* HI TJ!!!!  WELCOME BACK TO THE POD!!!! 

Thanks Mel.  I see most of all y'alls' shenanigans on FB so i feel like I've kinda' kept up. 

I am seriously considering IM Sacramento in 22 so i stopped by to look at training plans and thought I'd stop in to "see" everyone. 

2021-07-03 9:56 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Expert
Good Luck Janyne!

Heal quickly Lisa.

Have a good holiday everyone else.
2021-07-06 6:06 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Got my fancy new wheels put on the gravel bike today! I'm now a member of the tubeless tribe. I'm a little concerned I'm going to have issues with it, but am excited to finally try it out. When I asked the bike shop about sealant I was told I shouldn't have to worry about it for months and if something happens and I flat, just put a tube in. He said not to overthink it, it was easy. I also have hookless rims which I am still completely confused over how they actually work. But, supposedly, it's easy. I have a sinking feeling that if and when I have to change a tire, it won't be as easy as it's been made out to be! 

Anyone else with hookless rims?

Another issue is the wheels are about 1 inch smaller in diameter than the gravel tires. My mind tells me that doesn't change the distance from my seat to pedals, so seat height is just fine where it is, but for some reason when taking the test ride it felt like the seat was a bit high. So, you bike expert people, what am I missing????

2021-07-07 7:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by amd723

Got my fancy new wheels put on the gravel bike today! I'm now a member of the tubeless tribe. I'm a little concerned I'm going to have issues with it, but am excited to finally try it out. When I asked the bike shop about sealant I was told I shouldn't have to worry about it for months and if something happens and I flat, just put a tube in. He said not to overthink it, it was easy. I also have hookless rims which I am still completely confused over how they actually work. But, supposedly, it's easy. I have a sinking feeling that if and when I have to change a tire, it won't be as easy as it's been made out to be! 

Another issue is the wheels are about 1 inch smaller in diameter than the gravel tires. My mind tells me that doesn't change the distance from my seat to pedals, so seat height is just fine where it is, but for some reason when taking the test ride it felt like the seat was a bit high. So, you bike expert people, what am I missing????

I have tubeless, hookless rims and praying I don't get a flat, because I have no idea what I'm doing yet. I haven't even looked on YouTube to see if I can figure it out. I have an image in my mind that I will be on the side of the highway, looking up YouTube video trying to figure out how to change a flat while rusted 4x4's zoom past honking and throwing beer cans at me. I'm sure it will be fine.
Now that I said it on this and not just in my head, I think I'm going to figure it out tonight. haha

Edited by JBacarella 2021-07-07 7:50 AM
2021-07-07 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Those on Strava may have noticed (or not) that I have some super slow runs on Monday and Tuesday. I have been working with a close friend, who was morbidly obese (309 lbs) and has MS, lose weight. On Monday and Tuesday he and I have been running together. I'm mostly there to help with motivation and a sense of community. He weighed in after the holiday weekend and was at 219 and has lost 90 pounds! I am really proud of him, he has done everything right, changed his eating habits, his after work routine and doing more active recreational activities. He also stopped watching the food network. He has done a lot of good work to accomplish this. His goal is 100 lbs, which we hope he hits at the end of the month. We've been trying to come up with a way to celebrate his accomplishment. Sky diving is out!
2021-07-07 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

I have tubeless, hookless rims and praying I don't get a flat, because I have no idea what I'm doing yet. I haven't even looked on YouTube to see if I can figure it out. I have an image in my mind that I will be on the side of the highway, looking up YouTube video trying to figure out how to change a flat while rusted 4x4's zoom past honking and throwing beer cans at me. I'm sure it will be fine. Now that I said it on this and not just in my head, I think I'm going to figure it out tonight. haha

Well, cars have hookless rims, don't they? So they are not new.  Anyway, let us know what you two figure out!

Regarding the wheel circumference difference between 38s and 28s, I'm sure that the bike feels and handles different from from the wider, knobbier tire to the smoother, narrower one bu you are correct, the fit should be the same.  The hard points on the frame have not changed.  Stand over height and BB clearance will have changed but that should not impact the fit (unless stand over height is no longer acceptable).  The fit is mostly about your body position to the mechanical parts of the bike. The relationship between handlebar, saddle and pedals is unaffected by changing the wheels.

Out of curiosity, what road tires did you select for the 303s?

2021-07-07 11:18 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JBacarella Those on Strava may have noticed (or not) that I have some super slow runs on Monday and Tuesday. I have been working with a close friend, who was morbidly obese (309 lbs) and has MS, lose weight. On Monday and Tuesday he and I have been running together. I'm mostly there to help with motivation and a sense of community. He weighed in after the holiday weekend and was at 219 and has lost 90 pounds! I am really proud of him, he has done everything right, changed his eating habits, his after work routine and doing more active recreational activities. He also stopped watching the food network. He has done a lot of good work to accomplish this. His goal is 100 lbs, which we hope he hits at the end of the month. We've been trying to come up with a way to celebrate his accomplishment. Sky diving is out!

Wow, congratulations to your friend for making the commitment to taking better care of himself and losing all that weight!  Congratulations to you for being a good friend and mentor, but your helpfulness and kindness is not a surprise. 

2021-07-07 11:21 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I have tubeless, hookless rims and praying I don't get a flat, because I have no idea what I'm doing yet. I haven't even looked on YouTube to see if I can figure it out. I have an image in my mind that I will be on the side of the highway, looking up YouTube video trying to figure out how to change a flat while rusted 4x4's zoom past honking and throwing beer cans at me. I'm sure it will be fine. Now that I said it on this and not just in my head, I think I'm going to figure it out tonight. haha

haha, I think I'll be on you tube soon too!

2021-07-07 11:22 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella Those on Strava may have noticed (or not) that I have some super slow runs on Monday and Tuesday. I have been working with a close friend, who was morbidly obese (309 lbs) and has MS, lose weight. On Monday and Tuesday he and I have been running together. I'm mostly there to help with motivation and a sense of community. He weighed in after the holiday weekend and was at 219 and has lost 90 pounds! I am really proud of him, he has done everything right, changed his eating habits, his after work routine and doing more active recreational activities. He also stopped watching the food network. He has done a lot of good work to accomplish this. His goal is 100 lbs, which we hope he hits at the end of the month. We've been trying to come up with a way to celebrate his accomplishment. Sky diving is out!

That's great! Congrats to your friend for making those changes and to you for helping him on his way.

2021-07-07 11:24 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Well, cars have hookless rims, don't they? So they are not new.  Anyway, let us know what you two figure out!

Regarding the wheel circumference difference between 38s and 28s, I'm sure that the bike feels and handles different from from the wider, knobbier tire to the smoother, narrower one bu you are correct, the fit should be the same.  The hard points on the frame have not changed.  Stand over height and BB clearance will have changed but that should not impact the fit (unless stand over height is no longer acceptable).  The fit is mostly about your body position to the mechanical parts of the bike. The relationship between handlebar, saddle and pedals is unaffected by changing the wheels.

Thanks for confirming that I was right that I was thinking wrong  The tires are Pirelli Cinturato Velos. 

2021-07-07 2:51 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by JBacarella Those on Strava may have noticed (or not) that I have some super slow runs on Monday and Tuesday....

My cousin lost 100 lbs about 12 years ago.  It was amazing to see his transformation.  That is neat that you get to be part of the work that your friend is doing.  I don't remember what my cousin did to celebrate when he hit his 100 lbs.  I know that his dad wrote some really kind words about him when he hit the milestone.  The praise from his father is all I remember well that and my cousin saying what made the difference in from before and after. I wish you friend all the best.  He is doing something that I don't know that I would be able to do.

2021-07-08 10:06 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Manatee friends, please direct all good juju, well-wishes, thoughts, prayers, etc to the dear eagle my sister and I helped rescue over the weekend, today he goes in for surgery to repair his broken wing. 

TLDR for those who didn't know from Facebook: kayaking on the river Monday my sister and I found an injured young eagle and called the game commission who came out to rescue it.  They in turn took it to a local wildlife rehab facility who discovered the bird has low level lead poisoning, a broken right wing, swollen left foot, and was underweight and very stressed from being on the ground, hurt, instead of with its parents.  They gave it fluids and were tube feeding it to help get it up to snuff.  It will have a long rehab but they sound hopeful.  Best part is if/when it is able to be released, they will invite us to be there for the event!

Edited by melbo55 2021-07-08 10:58 AM
2021-07-08 11:20 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Manatee friends, please direct all good juju, well-wishes, thoughts, prayers, etc to the dear eagle my sister and I helped rescue over the weekend, today he goes in for surgery to repair his broken wing. 

TLDR for those who didn't know from Facebook: kayaking on the river Monday my sister and I found an injured young eagle and called the game commission who came out to rescue it.  They in turn took it to a local wildlife rehab facility who discovered the bird has low level lead poisoning, a broken right wing, swollen left foot, and was underweight and very stressed from being on the ground, hurt, instead of with its parents.  They gave it fluids and were tube feeding it to help get it up to snuff.  It will have a long rehab but they sound hopeful.  Best part is if/when it is able to be released, they will invite us to be there for the event!

Fingers crossed for a successful recovery!

2021-07-08 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Sending healing zen!

2021-07-08 3:42 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Fingers and toes crossed! Keep us posted..!
2021-07-08 4:00 PM
in reply to: #5273965

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Mel that is so cool! We watch Lone Star Law which shows TX Fish and Game doing stuff like that.

2021-07-08 7:50 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

So, I'm (as usual) late to the tubeless tire discussion.  Do you have a puncture kit like Stan's DART or plugs (bacon strips)? First thing to try to do is simply plug the hole, which is the job of the sealant in the tire, but if you run across something a bit larger, then the plug comes into play. After that, say for something catastrophic, then a tube is the last resort. I have helped with a couple of roadside lugs, but I'm not yet a member of the Team Tubeless. However, the WTB's that came on the bike are already showing signs of wear in the rear, so it will soon be time to get new rubber. The rims are "tubeless ready" so the next tires will be set up that way out of the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ8HqKPrRXY 

My hope is to set up a spare rim I have laying around the garage as tubeless for some "puncture practice". In my spare time. Which I don't have.

2021-07-09 10:04 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

So, I'm (as usual) late to the tubeless tire discussion.  Do you have a puncture kit like Stan's DART or plugs (bacon strips)? First thing to try to do is simply plug the hole, which is the job of the sealant in the tire, but if you run across something a bit larger, then the plug comes into play. After that, say for something catastrophic, then a tube is the last resort. I have helped with a couple of roadside lugs, but I'm not yet a member of the Team Tubeless. However, the WTB's that came on the bike are already showing signs of wear in the rear, so it will soon be time to get new rubber. The rims are "tubeless ready" so the next tires will be set up that way out of the box.

My hope is to set up a spare rim I have laying around the garage as tubeless for some "puncture practice". In my spare time. Which I don't have.

Thanks, that was a helpful video. Especially glad I watched it so I don’t use my CO2 to try to inflate the tires ! Guess I need to buy some plugs.

2021-07-09 1:26 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner Mel that is so cool! We watch Lone Star Law which shows TX Fish and Game doing stuff like that.
Yes, I watch Lone Star Law and Northwoods Law, etc. and it truly was a scene straight out of one of the episodes!  Our interaction with the officers was very positive and very enlightening, the one that took the bird seemed especially interested in educating us on the process.  He was also kind enough to call me with an update the next day.  One of the many times I spoke to him on the phone before they arrived on scene my sister said (jokingly), "Did he sound like he was armed?"  I'm still chuckling over that one! 

Edited by melbo55 2021-07-09 1:32 PM
2021-07-09 1:57 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks, that was a helpful video. Especially glad I watched it so I don’t use my CO2 to try to inflate the tires ! Guess I need to buy some plugs.

If you don't already have a multi tool like the Crank Brothers M13 or M17, consider getting one.  It has a bacon holder and comes with starter bacon.  Oh, and the little fork to shove the bacon into your tire. Since you need a mutli tool to even get your wheel off, you had might as well have one with the tubeless do dads.

2021-07-09 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

July 10-11
Janyne - Race to Valhalla gravel ride on Saturday

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

Continued good thoughts for Lisa, who is almost half way through radiation.

Don't worry, we have other racers on the calendar next week!

2021-07-09 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks for confirming that I was right that I was thinking wrong  The tires are Pirelli Cinturato Velos. 

Did the 303s come with a wheel bag?

2021-07-09 3:27 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

If you don't already have a multi tool like the Crank Brothers M13 or M17, consider getting one.  It has a bacon holder and comes with starter bacon.  Oh, and the little fork to shove the bacon into your tire. Since you need a mutli tool to even get your wheel off, you had might as well have one with the tubeless do dads.

Thanks - all these little extra things!!

2021-07-09 3:30 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

July 10-11
Janyne - Race to Valhalla gravel ride on Saturday

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

Continued good thoughts for Lisa, who is almost half way through radiation.

Don't worry, we have other racers on the calendar next week!

Janyne representing the manatees again! Have a great event!

Nothing special on tap for me this weekend. I'm on call all month, so even if there was a race that appealed to me, I couldn't do it

2021-07-09 3:31 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Did the 303s come with a wheel bag?

No, I didn't even think about that and now I'm angry I didn't get one!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74