Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by JBacarella

Got my fancy new wheels put on the gravel bike today! I'm now a member of the tubeless tribe. I'm a little concerned I'm going to have issues with it, but am excited to finally try it out. When I asked the bike shop about sealant I was told I shouldn't have to worry about it for months and if something happens and I flat, just put a tube in. He said not to overthink it, it was easy. I also have hookless rims which I am still completely confused over how they actually work. But, supposedly, it's easy. I have a sinking feeling that if and when I have to change a tire, it won't be as easy as it's been made out to be! 

Anyone else with hookless rims?

Another issue is the wheels are about 1 inch smaller in diameter than the gravel tires. My mind tells me that doesn't change the distance from my seat to pedals, so seat height is just fine where it is, but for some reason when taking the test ride it felt like the seat was a bit high. So, you bike expert people, what am I missing????

I have tubeless, hookless rims and praying I don't get a flat, because I have no idea what I'm doing yet. I haven't even looked on YouTube to see if I can figure it out. I have an image in my mind that I will be on the side of the highway, looking up YouTube video trying to figure out how to change a flat while rusted 4x4's zoom past honking and throwing beer cans at me. I'm sure it will be fine. Now that I said it on this and not just in my head, I think I'm going to figure it out tonight. haha

Well, cars have hookless rims, don't they? So they are not new.  Anyway, let us know what you two figure out!

Regarding the wheel circumference difference between 38s and 28s, I'm sure that the bike feels and handles different from from the wider, knobbier tire to the smoother, narrower one bu you are correct, the fit should be the same.  The hard points on the frame have not changed.  Stand over height and BB clearance will have changed but that should not impact the fit (unless stand over height is no longer acceptable).  The fit is mostly about your body position to the mechanical parts of the bike. The relationship between handlebar, saddle and pedals is unaffected by changing the wheels.

Out of curiosity, what road tires did you select for the 303s?

Thanks for confirming that I was right that I was thinking wrong  The tires are Pirelli Cinturato Velos. 

Did the 303s come with a wheel bag?

No, I didn't even think about that and now I'm angry I didn't get one!!

It's almost like Zipp expected you to store the wheels on your bike!

My new wheel set did not come with a bag either.  I got this two wheel bag from Amazon and it seems fine.

2021-07-09 5:01 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Got my fancy new wheels put on the gravel bike today! I'm now a member of the tubeless tribe. I'm a little concerned I'm going to have issues with it, but am excited to finally try it out. When I asked the bike shop about sealant I was told I shouldn't have to worry about it for months and if something happens and I flat, just put a tube in. He said not to overthink it, it was easy. I also have hookless rims which I am still completely confused over how they actually work. But, supposedly, it's easy. I have a sinking feeling that if and when I have to change a tire, it won't be as easy as it's been made out to be! 

Anyone else with hookless rims?

Another issue is the wheels are about 1 inch smaller in diameter than the gravel tires. My mind tells me that doesn't change the distance from my seat to pedals, so seat height is just fine where it is, but for some reason when taking the test ride it felt like the seat was a bit high. So, you bike expert people, what am I missing????

I have tubeless, hookless rims and praying I don't get a flat, because I have no idea what I'm doing yet. I haven't even looked on YouTube to see if I can figure it out. I have an image in my mind that I will be on the side of the highway, looking up YouTube video trying to figure out how to change a flat while rusted 4x4's zoom past honking and throwing beer cans at me. I'm sure it will be fine. Now that I said it on this and not just in my head, I think I'm going to figure it out tonight. haha

Well, cars have hookless rims, don't they? So they are not new.  Anyway, let us know what you two figure out!

Regarding the wheel circumference difference between 38s and 28s, I'm sure that the bike feels and handles different from from the wider, knobbier tire to the smoother, narrower one bu you are correct, the fit should be the same.  The hard points on the frame have not changed.  Stand over height and BB clearance will have changed but that should not impact the fit (unless stand over height is no longer acceptable).  The fit is mostly about your body position to the mechanical parts of the bike. The relationship between handlebar, saddle and pedals is unaffected by changing the wheels.

Out of curiosity, what road tires did you select for the 303s?

Thanks for confirming that I was right that I was thinking wrong  The tires are Pirelli Cinturato Velos. 

Did the 303s come with a wheel bag?

No, I didn't even think about that and now I'm angry I didn't get one!!

It's almost like Zipp expected you to store the wheels on your bike!

My new wheel set did not come with a bag either.  I got this two wheel bag from Amazon and it seems fine.

Thanks, ordered!

2021-07-09 6:09 PM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

July 10-11
Janyne - Race to Valhalla gravel ride on Saturday

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

Continued good thoughts for Lisa, who is almost half way through radiation.

Don't worry, we have other racers on the calendar next week!

Good luck and have a blast!!

Bacon strips to plug a flat? Do they have to be cooked or raw? Crispy or not?
2021-07-12 8:02 PM
in reply to: #5273965

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Congrats Janyne on Race to Valhalla! Friends I rosw with on Sunday (who did Valhalla Sat) confirmed it's very climby!

I volunteered with our local SORBA chapter (Southern Off Road Biking Assoc) doing trail maintenance on Sat and it was a fun experience. I learned a lot.

Sunday was the annual "Christmas in July" MTB ride (26 miles) and I really struggled in the heat the last hour. Grateful for my friends who pulled me along.

2 weeks and 3 days until I return for the next school year. Summer's going by too fast.
2021-07-13 2:56 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by glfprncs

Congrats Janyne on Race to Valhalla! Friends I rosw with on Sunday (who did Valhalla Sat) confirmed it's very climby!

I volunteered with our local SORBA chapter (Southern Off Road Biking Assoc) doing trail maintenance on Sat and it was a fun experience. I learned a lot.

Sunday was the annual "Christmas in July" MTB ride (26 miles) and I really struggled in the heat the last hour. Grateful for my friends who pulled me along.

2 weeks and 3 days until I return for the next school year. Summer's going by too fast.

Kuddos for completing the ride in extreme heat conditions! How are you feeling? I hope you recovered well.

What is the plan to return to school? Any significant changes that will make it harder (for you and the kids)?
2021-07-13 2:58 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Racing Manatees!!!

July 10-11
Janyne - Race to Valhalla gravel ride on Saturday

Dooo eeettt!!!

Continued good thoughts for Lisa, who is almost half way through radiation.

Don't worry, we have other racers on the calendar next week!

Finger crossed and all heart and thoughts going to Lisa!

Janyne,
I hope you had a blast! looking forward to hear how it went

2021-07-13 5:25 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs Congrats Janyne on Race to Valhalla! Friends I rosw with on Sunday (who did Valhalla Sat) confirmed it's very climby! I volunteered with our local SORBA chapter (Southern Off Road Biking Assoc) doing trail maintenance on Sat and it was a fun experience. I learned a lot. Sunday was the annual "Christmas in July" MTB ride (26 miles) and I really struggled in the heat the last hour. Grateful for my friends who pulled me along. 2 weeks and 3 days until I return for the next school year. Summer's going by too fast.

But who's counting -haha!

2021-07-13 7:19 PM
in reply to: #5277062

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
@Marysia

NOTHING will be harder than last school year. We were face to face with a BUNCH of covid protocols.

Our leadership committee (which I'm part of) met last week and we're choosing to keep many of the protocols because their structure reduced student discipline issues.

As far as I'm aware, students will not be masked (we were all last year). Any student who wants to remain in a virtual setting can do so as our district developed a virtual academy for the upcoming year.

Other than that, I know nothing.
2021-07-13 7:59 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by glfprncs

@Marysia

NOTHING will be harder than last school year. We were face to face with a BUNCH of covid protocols.

Our leadership committee (which I'm part of) met last week and we're choosing to keep many of the protocols because their structure reduced student discipline issues.

As far as I'm aware, students will not be masked (we were all last year). Any student who wants to remain in a virtual setting can do so as our district developed a virtual academy for the upcoming year.

Other than that, I know nothing.

I see. I think it's pretty similar to what other schools are doing. There is a lot of unknowns and lots of it will be probably figured out during the year... Fingers crossed for the smooth transition!
2021-07-16 10:43 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

July 17-18
Jim - Paul Bunyan Challenge Sprint on Saturday
Marysia -  Black Hawk Half Marathon (trail) on Sunday

Dooo eeettt!!!

Continued good thoughts for Lisa as she enters the final stretch in her radiation treatment.

2021-07-16 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

July 17-18

Dooo eeettt!!!

Continued good thoughts for Lisa as she enters the final stretch in her radiation treatment.

Go Jim and Marysia!!

Glad you're in the final stretch of radiation Lisa!

2021-07-16 11:42 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

July 17-18

Dooo eeettt!!!

Go Jim and Marysia!!

Mine was rescheduled for August 1. I should update my stuff.

In other news. We talk about getting flats and I got a flat. I didn't buy the repair tool yet. so I put a inner tube in it for now.
2021-07-16 12:59 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

July 17-18

Dooo eeettt!!!

Go Jim and Marysia!!

Mine was rescheduled for August 1. I should update my stuff. In other news. We talk about getting flats and I got a flat. I didn't buy the repair tool yet. so I put a inner tube in it for now.

Well, then I take back my "Go Jim"

Sorry about the flat. Hope it wasn't too messy putting a tube in with sealant already in place. 

2021-07-16 6:30 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

There is a thread on ST about Lake Placid debating whether to bring IM back after this year. Like so many host towns, the locals who aren't directly benefiting from the influx of athletes have been complaining about how crowded things are and say they are tired of the race. At least one hotel operator said the week leading into the race is dead b/c no one wants to be there around race time.  Since the 70.3 was canceled in 2020 and there is no current plan to bring it back, this may be the last IM in Lake Placid.   REading about this made me think of Melanie b/c I know how much she loves that area and the 70.3.

2021-07-16 8:11 PM

User image

Expert

There is a thread on ST about Lake Placid debating whether to bring IM back after this year. Like so many host towns, the locals who aren't directly benefiting from the influx of athletes have been complaining about how crowded things are and say they are tired of the race. At least one hotel operator said the week leading into the race is dead b/c no one wants to be there around race time.  Since the 70.3 was canceled in 2020 and there is no current plan to bring it back, this may be the last IM in Lake Placid.   REading about this made me think of Melanie b/c I know how much she loves that area and the 70.3.

That's sad, even though LP was my worst IM experience. It is a great course. It's would seem funny, because the area always has visitors because of the Olympic Training Center. My town has is a tourist town, but people, including those who benefit from the triathlon complain about it.
2021-07-17 1:47 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

It makes me think about all those people who complain about the corwds. The IM race is just one weekend, right? Folks who travel maybe stay longer, let's say max of a week - but those would not be the majority. I can imagine most people coming for 3-4 days max. But even if it was a week - we're talking one week of the year.... Maybe it's because I am coming from a large city, where summer events were an every day thing throughout the whole summer.... and I absolutely hate crowds, but I really cannot imagine not being able to handle it for a week.... Unless there is something I'm missing there.

2021-07-17 1:50 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Racing Manatees!!!

July 17-18

Dooo eeettt!!!

Go Jim and Marysia!!

Mine was rescheduled for August 1. I should update my stuff.

In other news. We talk about getting flats and I got a flat. I didn't buy the repair tool yet. so I put a inner tube in it for now.

Oh no! Sorry about the flat tire Hopefully it's an easy fix by Augist 1!

I will be very slow tomorrow.... I barely trained, for many reasons, and this weeke I barely got to run because my knees hurt after hiking last weekend :/ I have a strategy of run/walk, easy pace. I have four hours to complete. Even if I don't get a chance to complete within the limit, I will make it a nice hike, and that's going to be OK
2021-07-20 9:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

I'll have to go look at ST and check out the thread.  LP is a tourist town and rely on  ice hockey and lacrosse  tournaments/events, horse events, and outdoorsy people to take advantage of the area and stay.  I can see how the triathlon is a larger injection of people than the other events I mentioned and I'm sure it's frustrating for some locals, but there are a fair amount of them (and businesses) that profit nicely from triathletes and their families.  It will be sad if the race no longer continues, I believe it's the longest running Ironman event in North America.

Edited by melbo55 2021-07-20 9:32 AM
2021-07-20 9:41 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

I'll have to go look at ST and check out the thread.  LP is a tourist town and rely on  ice hockey and lacrosse  tournaments/events, horse events, and outdoorsy people to take advantage of the area and stay.  I can see how the triathlon is a larger injection of people than the other events I mentioned and I'm sure it's frustrating for some locals, but there are a fair amount of them (and businesses) that profit nicely from triathletes and their families.  It will be sad if the race no longer continues, I believe it's the longest running Ironman event in North America.

It would be a shame for such a long running event to go by the wayside.  That being said, I'm not sure how Ironman is to work with.  It seems that Tremblant found them to not be the greatest partner?

ST thread here.

2021-07-21 1:35 PM

Checking in after having been out fishing for a couple weeks. Glad to see everyone's updates.

A friend of mine sent me the story about Lake Placid, and that a possible replacement race is Juneau, Alaska!!!! I don't know if that will be a good or bad choice. I actually haven't been to Juneau yet. It's down in Southeast, pretty much a fly in or boat in only, no roads in. Not a big town, but it is the capital and hosts the state legislative session down there, so I would imagine plenty of accommodations.
2021-07-21 1:46 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri

Checking in after having been out fishing for a couple weeks. Glad to see everyone's updates. A friend of mine sent me the story about Lake Placid, and that a possible replacement race is Juneau, Alaska!!!! I don't know if that will be a good or bad choice. I actually haven't been to Juneau yet. It's down in Southeast, pretty much a fly in or boat in only, no roads in. Not a big town, but it is the capital and hosts the state legislative session down there, so I would imagine plenty of accommodations.

I read about a possible IM Alaksa.  I wonder if that will be the every three year event to go with St. George (full) and CdA (full)?

Regarding Lake Placid, it sounds like the reports of its death may have been greatly exaggerated.  ST is reporting, "Ironman has sent out an email to this years IMLP registrants and at the bottom advertises IMLP 2022 presale starting 7/26 and open to everyone 8/2."  Of course, that could just be wishful thinking on IM's part.  I guess we'll know soon.

I heard that the IM Oregon 70.3 athlete guide was perhaps kinda messed up or incomplete?  I know that IM isn't big on proof reading!

2021-07-21 2:22 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri

Checking in after having been out fishing for a couple weeks. Glad to see everyone's updates. A friend of mine sent me the story about Lake Placid, and that a possible replacement race is Juneau, Alaska!!!! I don't know if that will be a good or bad choice. I actually haven't been to Juneau yet. It's down in Southeast, pretty much a fly in or boat in only, no roads in. Not a big town, but it is the capital and hosts the state legislative session down there, so I would imagine plenty of accommodations.

I was only in Juneau for 1 day as part of a cruise, so I don't have a lot of real insight as to what an IM there would look like, but I think it would be both fantastic and a nightmare! Just getting there would be interesting! My impression is that there are not a ton of hotels and if the race competes with regular tourist time (I don't know how it couldn't), that could be problematic. On the other hand, it is absolutely gorgeous and what an adventure you'd have racing.

2021-07-21 9:48 PM

User image

Expert
I've finished my adventure in tubeless tires.
The most important thing I learned was it was messy, or I am messy, but I kind on knew that.
Putting a tube into the tubeless wasn't bad. Just like putting a tube in a tube tire, only with messy sealant. I didn't end up riding on. I did buy the bacon tool and plugged the hole. I think that was really nifty, and easier than my imagination thought.
I did decide to buy a new tire. I hope the weather lets me ride tomorrow. The toughest part of putting a new tubeless tire on was getting it to set. The biggest problem was the baby compressor I have does not really have the umph to push the air into the tire to get it to set. I ended up driving to the gas station and using their compressor. It popped right into place with a more powerful air compressor.
I also bought the injector to put the sealant into the tire, instead of trying the leave a bead open and pour it in method. I predicted the mess I would make conducting that would be impressive. The injector worked perfectly and cleaned up easily. I will see the final results tomorrow. Putting the tubeless tire on the rim was not as bad as I expected. The plastic tire lever snapped it right onto the rim.
2021-07-22 10:05 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
anyone racing LP this weekend? Or spectating? I'll be there to support my cousin so let me know!

Yeah yeah you can give me crap for being MIA when I get back
2021-07-22 4:11 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk anyone racing LP this weekend? Or spectating? I'll be there to support my cousin so let me know! Yeah yeah you can give me crap for being MIA when I get back
I'll be there spectating!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74