BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 74

2021-07-22 4:12 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by JBacarella I've finished my adventure in tubeless tires. The most important thing I learned was it was messy, or I am messy, but I kind on knew that. Putting a tube into the tubeless wasn't bad. Just like putting a tube in a tube tire, only with messy sealant. I didn't end up riding on. I did buy the bacon tool and plugged the hole. I think that was really nifty, and easier than my imagination thought. I did decide to buy a new tire. I hope the weather lets me ride tomorrow. The toughest part of putting a new tubeless tire on was getting it to set. The biggest problem was the baby compressor I have does not really have the umph to push the air into the tire to get it to set. I ended up driving to the gas station and using their compressor. It popped right into place with a more powerful air compressor. I also bought the injector to put the sealant into the tire, instead of trying the leave a bead open and pour it in method. I predicted the mess I would make conducting that would be impressive. The injector worked perfectly and cleaned up easily. I will see the final results tomorrow. Putting the tubeless tire on the rim was not as bad as I expected. The plastic tire lever snapped it right onto the rim.
I hope you find tubeless to be worth the extra hassle and effort.

2021-07-22 5:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
This is the confession portion of my story. I tried to filled the old one with the compressed fix-a-flat. It continued to leak. I don't know why I did this, but I then decided to take the core out of the presta valve. The fix-a-flat shot out like Old Faithful. I of course performed this feat in my basement. Nothing in my basement went without fix-a-flat (including me) on it.

Edited by JBacarella 2021-07-22 5:46 PM
2021-07-22 5:52 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by JBacarella I've finished my adventure in tubeless tires. The most important thing I learned was it was messy, or I am messy, but I kind on knew that. Putting a tube into the tubeless wasn't bad. Just like putting a tube in a tube tire, only with messy sealant. I didn't end up riding on. I did buy the bacon tool and plugged the hole. I think that was really nifty, and easier than my imagination thought. I did decide to buy a new tire. I hope the weather lets me ride tomorrow. The toughest part of putting a new tubeless tire on was getting it to set. The biggest problem was the baby compressor I have does not really have the umph to push the air into the tire to get it to set. I ended up driving to the gas station and using their compressor. It popped right into place with a more powerful air compressor. I also bought the injector to put the sealant into the tire, instead of trying the leave a bead open and pour it in method. I predicted the mess I would make conducting that would be impressive. The injector worked perfectly and cleaned up easily. I will see the final results tomorrow. Putting the tubeless tire on the rim was not as bad as I expected. The plastic tire lever snapped it right onto the rim.

This story makes me nervous to have to do anything with my tubeless tires!!

2021-07-23 8:18 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk anyone racing LP this weekend? Or spectating? I'll be there to support my cousin so let me know! Yeah yeah you can give me crap for being MIA when I get back
I'll be there spectating!

sent you my number - text if you want to meet up on game day!!
2021-07-23 12:23 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

July 24-25
Anne - Dust Bowl 100 (IN) on Saturday
Robin K-C - Tri Boulder on Saturday
Karen - IM 70.3 Oregon on Sunday

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

Congratulations to Lisa on completing her radiation treatments. Recover well and stay healthy.

2021-07-23 12:29 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Kevin had a flat on Sunday.  He got out his bacon and bacon fork and shoved it in the problem area.  He used his hand pump to put in some air and was able to ride back to he car without any further issues.  He did end up tossing that tire.  It was worn out and he was trying to get it to last a few more weeks.  He's going to do a big bike service in August (it's on the mechanic's schedule, the parts have been ordered, etc. I'm sure it will be $$$) before his trip to Utah in September.  Anyway, he was pleased that the bacon got him back to the car.

He did not replace the tire himself.  He brought the wheel with the "bacon" tire and an old but still usable tire to the mechanic and had Matt fix it for him.

Re: valve core, someone in my house may have accidentally unscrewed his valve core instead of the valve stem.  Fortunately, he was at home when it happened so it was a matter of just pumping the tire back up.  Oh, I think that more sealant was added as well since the core was out anyway.

2021-07-23 1:11 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Kevin had a flat on Sunday.  He got out his bacon and bacon fork and shoved it in the problem area.  He used his hand pump to put in some air and was able to ride back to he car without any further issues.  He did end up tossing that tire.  It was worn out and he was trying to get it to last a few more weeks.  He's going to do a big bike service in August (it's on the mechanic's schedule, the parts have been ordered, etc. I'm sure it will be $$$) before his trip to Utah in September.  Anyway, he was pleased that the bacon got him back to the car.

He did not replace the tire himself.  He brought the wheel with the "bacon" tire and an old but still usable tire to the mechanic and had Matt fix it for him.

Re: valve core, someone in my house may have accidentally unscrewed his valve core instead of the valve stem.  Fortunately, he was at home when it happened so it was a matter of just pumping the tire back up.  Oh, I think that more sealant was added as well since the core was out anyway.

These types of stories were why I was willing to try tubeless to begin with. Still don't want to use all the tools I bought in just in case

2021-07-23 1:27 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

These types of stories were why I was willing to try tubeless to begin with. Still don't want to use all the tools I bought in just in case

Kevin was super happy to be able to ride back to the car!

2021-07-23 8:46 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hey Manatees! New developments over here - i just registered for Muskoka 70.3 which is now a go in Ontario after Tremblant was cancelled for September. I now have 5 weeks to go to get myself in in HIM shape which actually isn't too crazy - I just haven't swum in some time since i live in the land of lockdown which turns out to be good since we have very high vaccination rate. 

What a crazy year!!!

2021-07-24 4:21 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hey Manatees! New developments over here - i just registered for Muskoka 70.3 which is now a go in Ontario after Tremblant was cancelled for September. I now have 5 weeks to go to get myself in in HIM shape which actually isn't too crazy - I just haven't swum in some time since i live in the land of lockdown which turns out to be good since we have very high vaccination rate. 

What a crazy year!!!

Woo Hoo! Glad you get to race!

Canada is doing a really good job with the vaccines. I am jealous!!

2021-07-24 4:22 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

It looks like Lake Placid is on for one more year.  AFter that who knows.

2021-07-25 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Go, Karen, go!  You are doing great so far!

2021-07-25 1:40 PM

User image

Expert

What a crazy year!!!

Congratulations! You have a good base, you will be ready.
2021-07-25 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Go, Karen, go!  You are doing great so far!

Almost done now, Karen! You've got this! Just a quarter mile to go!

2021-07-25 8:20 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I did finish shortly thereafter but sadly the tracker, after initially showing I finished 8th AG, now shows I DNF'd. It shows all my splits till 1/2 mile to go, then nothing. Did anyone see a final result for me or was I hallucinating? Is this what happens if you DQ? If I did receive a warning, penalty, or DQ, I was never informed of it during or after the race. Trying to figure out what is going on!
2021-07-25 8:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot RunnerI did finish shortly thereafter but sadly the tracker, after initially showing I finished 8th AG, now shows I DNF'd. It shows all my splits till 1/2 mile to go, then nothing. Did anyone see a final result for me or was I hallucinating? Is this what happens if you DQ? If I did receive a warning, penalty, or DQ, I was never informed of it during or after the race. Trying to figure out what is going on!
Congratulations! I don’t have any insight into why your result changed, but my first thought is it is an IM tracking glitch and you did finish 8th.

ETA: I pulled up the results of a random finisher and she has the same issue you had, so seems it’s a them issue.

Edited by amd723 2021-07-25 8:42 PM

2021-07-25 8:55 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Possibly a timing chip issue. My strap broke in T1, I asked for another one but they didn't have them; an official told me just to put it in my tri-suit pocket for the rest of the race. That sounded odd so I confirmed it again with another official at the bike mount line. No idea why it would register at all the timing mats during the bike and run but not at the finish line.
2021-07-25 9:31 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by Hot RunnerPossibly a timing chip issue. My strap broke in T1, I asked for another one but they didn't have them; an official told me just to put it in my tri-suit pocket for the rest of the race. That sounded odd so I confirmed it again with another official at the bike mount line. No idea why it would register at all the timing mats during the bike and run but not at the finish line.
Hmm, it would be more than a coincidence if the random racer I looked at had the same timing chip issue as you, so I still think it’s a glitch with IM ‘s system and not specific to you. Hopefully I’m right and they get it sorted soon. Still, congratulations on a great race!
2021-07-25 11:19 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hoping that's the case. Now beginning to think I was just looking at my swim result and thought it was the whole thing. (I almost invariably place pretty much the same overall as on the swim anyway.) I was pretty tired at that point--tough day at the office. The downriver swim was loads of fun (after the most chaotic and inefficient swim start I've ever seen!), but the bike course was harder than advertised (hilly, windy, local traffic in the last 5 or 6 miles became obnoxious) and for some reason I felt really nauseous until about Mile 8 of the run; so bad I had to walk through a lot of the aid stations, eat pretzels, and sip Coke to try to settle things down. Not sure if due to heat, stomach rebelling from gu (had forgotten how awful 5+ hours of it is), girl issues, or most likely a horrid combo of all those!

If I'd had the presence of mind I probably should have stuck the timing chip in my sock for the end of the run. But was assured by multiple officials that I could just put it in my suit pocket and it would be fine. Ugh. Hoping it is their doing and not mine. It just seems like if it were a chip issue then it would have failed in other places and not just at the finish....
2021-07-26 5:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner I did finish shortly thereafter but sadly the tracker, after initially showing I finished 8th AG, now shows I DNF'd. It shows all my splits till 1/2 mile to go, then nothing. Did anyone see a final result for me or was I hallucinating? Is this what happens if you DQ? If I did receive a warning, penalty, or DQ, I was never informed of it during or after the race. Trying to figure out what is going on!

How stressful!  That happened to me at a marathon several years ago.  It was eventually straightened out (they had video they went back to) but ARG!  And how would that even work for WC roll downs?

I saw that you were listed in the top 10 shortly thereafter but then I noticed that the tracker never marked you as finished.  Then, last evening, I checked the results again and you were missing. 

2021-07-26 5:50 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Hoping that's the case. Now beginning to think I was just looking at my swim result and thought it was the whole thing. (I almost invariably place pretty much the same overall as on the swim anyway.) I was pretty tired at that point--tough day at the office. The downriver swim was loads of fun (after the most chaotic and inefficient swim start I've ever seen!), but the bike course was harder than advertised (hilly, windy, local traffic in the last 5 or 6 miles became obnoxious) and for some reason I felt really nauseous until about Mile 8 of the run; so bad I had to walk through a lot of the aid stations, eat pretzels, and sip Coke to try to settle things down. Not sure if due to heat, stomach rebelling from gu (had forgotten how awful 5+ hours of it is), girl issues, or most likely a horrid combo of all those! If I'd had the presence of mind I probably should have stuck the timing chip in my sock for the end of the run. But was assured by multiple officials that I could just put it in my suit pocket and it would be fine. Ugh. Hoping it is their doing and not mine. It just seems like if it were a chip issue then it would have failed in other places and not just at the finish....

I understand what you are saying but you should not need to have to worry about your timing chip after asking multiple race officials about the situation. Don't blame yourself for this.  You paid good money for them to provide timing and scoring.

The course looked like it had the potential to be a lot of fun. I hope they are able to refine things to better organize the swim start and reroute traffic (or change the course) to deal with the local traffic on the bike course.

Hopefully the timing situation will be straightened out soon.

2021-07-26 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I would assume they already handed out awards and WC slots. I didn't bother to stay because at the time I thought I was looking at final results (I guess I just saw the swim one--I was looking at my phone and was very hot and tired), and didn't think I had much chance for a slot. Mom (83) had been out there in the sun for well over 6 hours by then and we both needed to cool off and get something to eat.

I contacted the race organizers and timers, but don't really expect them to answer--have never received one from IM on any other inquiries. It just seems like EVERY time I race, something stupid happens. Just wish I knew what I could do differently--I did exactly as they told me to but seems like they weren't doing their jobs.
2021-07-26 3:21 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Well, still no word from IM Corp. but when I checked the tracker again I do now have a finish time and place, so apparently it was their issue. 10th in AG (out of 70 finishers) in 5:30:26. Not the best race and not the worst, but glad I at least got credit for finishing that turkey! Will work on race report soon.
2021-07-26 3:24 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner Well, still no word from IM Corp. but when I checked the tracker again I do now have a finish time and place, so apparently it was their issue. 10th in AG (out of 70 finishers) in 5:30:26. Not the best race and not the worst, but glad I at least got credit for finishing that turkey! Will work on race report soon.

Oh glad to hear it seems to be sorted!! 

2021-07-26 5:28 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Well, still no word from IM Corp. but when I checked the tracker again I do now have a finish time and place, so apparently it was their issue. 10th in AG (out of 70 finishers) in 5:30:26. Not the best race and not the worst, but glad I at least got credit for finishing that turkey! Will work on race report soon.

Oh glad to hear it seems to be sorted!! 

X2 Glad they got that rather major glitch taken care of!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74