Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Racing Manatees!!!

September 11-12
Marysia - Nederland Half Marathon (trail) on Saturday
Robin K-C - Harvest Moon Trio on Saturday
Jim - IM 70.3 Michigan on Sunday

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2021-09-10 2:50 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

September 11-12

Dooo eeettt!!!

Have fantastic races all.
2021-09-10 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

September 11-12

Dooo eeettt!!!

What a nice mix of races! Have fun Manatees!!

2021-09-10 3:36 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by ceilidh Janyne, how was your race? Also, what kind of camera do you have on your bike? I am thinking of getting one for Jim.

The race was good. Next year, let's do it together!

I don't have a camera on my bike. Sorry :-(  I know several people who have the Cycliq (https://cycliq.com/) but I decided on the Varia radar instead (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/698001).  I figure with no front license plates in NC, it would be better to be proactive with the Varia.  I really like it.  

Clearly, I could go with the Cycliq front light though.  At the time I was shopping for a better rear light.

I also have a Bontrager Pro Ion/Flare combo.  The Ion is a strong front light. I asked for it for Christmas one year and Kevin got the Ion/Flare combo for me (the Flare is a rear light). It turns out that I like the Flare for gravel -- I trust that it will stay on and I don't need much/any info about cars. (https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/bike-accessories/bike-lights/bike-front-lights/bontrager-ion-pro-rt-front-bike-light/p/22466/).  PSA: REI carries the Bontrager lights.  Maybe look for a sale or get REI cashback on them?

Thanks.
2021-09-12 4:25 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice race, Jim! Impressive bike!

2021-09-12 4:36 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

WTG, Jim!!

2021-09-12 7:03 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by amd723

WTG, Jim!!

Well done, Jim
2021-09-13 8:59 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

September 11-12

Dooo eeettt!!!

Marysia, Robin, how were your races?
2021-09-13 9:41 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by ceilidh

WTG, Jim!!

Well done, Jim

x2, how was it out there? 

2021-09-13 2:14 PM

Great job Jim!!!
2021-09-13 6:52 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Expert
Thank you everyone. The support of this group is so important. I had a good day. My run went sideways and I need to figure out hydration and nutrition. I am wondering if it is that gator aid. Race report is ready along with special kudos to a member of our group. https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

2021-09-14 6:22 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella Thank you everyone. The support of this group is so important. I had a good day. My run went sideways and I need to figure out hydration and nutrition. I am wondering if it is that gator aid. Race report is ready along with special kudos to a member of our group. https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

I wonder if Gatorade changed something?  You are the second person in the past month to tell me that they had previously relied on Gatorade Endurance (GE) and had issues this year.  My teammate Ralph dumped his GE and ended up "living off the course" half way through. :-/

2021-09-14 11:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella Thank you everyone. The support of this group is so important. I had a good day. My run went sideways and I need to figure out hydration and nutrition. I am wondering if it is that gator aid. Race report is ready along with special kudos to a member of our group. https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

I wonder if Gatorade changed something?  You are the second person in the past month to tell me that they had previously relied on Gatorade Endurance (GE) and had issues this year.  My teammate Ralph dumped his GE and ended up "living off the course" half way through. :-/

This is a bit of what i've learned from Dr. Staci Sims (google her if you aren't familiar). Combining sugar, amino acids, fuel substances into your drink which is supposed to be hydration, is counterproductive. This is how you can become dangerously dehydrated even though you've been consuming fluids. As you consume it, fluid is simultaneously being pulled out of the blood stream into the gut to deal with the fuel sitting in there. Consuming water with essential electrolytes (like nuun performance)  will pull the fluid into the bloodstream. Consume food separately and in small amounts -sip, sip, nibble, nibble.  Eat real food, not engineered nutrition. Pick food high in healthy carbs, with some protein and fat to help regulate digestion and entry of glucose into the bloodstream. The higher the temp, the less fat you should consume. Great fuel choices: bananas, cooked white potatoes, cooked sweet potatoes. Try creating a mash or small bite sized pieces for easy consumption. You can also add small amounts of healthy fat (coconut oil, eg), walnuts, seeds. 

The engineered nutrition -especially gels, is bad b/c you're taking concentrated carbs and putting them in an already compromised gut. Gels and other high, concentrated carb products create a shifting of fluid into the small intestines. Fluid is diverted to the gut to process the load of sugar. This causes the common feeling of bloating and hastens dehydration. Our bodies know what to do with real food and b/c there is a mix of macronutrients in real food, gastric emptying, and the digestive process is slowed such that there is more sustained energy delivered to working muscles and stabilized blood glucose.

Another hack i learned was to use glucose tablets towards the end of the run of an IM or HIM. I haven't done one since i learned about them, but have used them on long runs with good success. They give you a nice boost of glucose (duh) right when you need it most. 

All that to say sports drinks are bad  

ETA: i may as delve a bit deeper: The goal on the bike is to fuel for it but also to have a bit of residual fuel in your digestive tract to draw on for the run. On the run, the goal isn't to supply extra calories for the future but to keep blood sugar levels elevated, without dips, to maintain pace. Divide the run into thirds (this if for IM, HIM you don't have to be near as anal): the first 3d, if you can, have small bites of soft bars, figs, or smooshed soft pretzels before moving on to energy chews (chews are different than gels). In the 2d third, switch to soft jelly candies/energy chews, and on the last 3d you look for quick hits of sugar that won't upset your stomach - glucose tabs! On hot days using menthos chewy mints are also a great choice as the give a quick hit of sugar with the cooling perception of the menthol. Do not follow them up with a Coke! Trust me on the last point, in CHOO IM, i did the coke thing and was nauseous for miles!

Edited by amd723 2021-09-14 11:24 AM
2021-09-14 11:53 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

This is a bit of what i've learned from Dr. Staci Sims (google her if you aren't familiar). Combining sugar, amino acids, fuel substances into your drink which is supposed to be hydration, is counterproductive. This is how you can become dangerously dehydrated even though you've been consuming fluids. As you consume it, fluid is simultaneously being pulled out of the blood stream into the gut to deal with the fuel sitting in there. Consuming water with essential electrolytes (like nuun performance)  will pull the fluid into the bloodstream. Consume food separately and in small amounts -sip, sip, nibble, nibble.  Eat real food, not engineered nutrition. Pick food high in healthy carbs, with some protein and fat to help regulate digestion and entry of glucose into the bloodstream. The higher the temp, the less fat you should consume. Great fuel choices: bananas, cooked white potatoes, cooked sweet potatoes. Try creating a mash or small bite sized pieces for easy consumption. You can also add small amounts of healthy fat (coconut oil, eg), walnuts, seeds. 

The engineered nutrition -especially gels, is bad b/c you're taking concentrated carbs and putting them in an already compromised gut. Gels and other high, concentrated carb products create a shifting of fluid into the small intestines. Fluid is diverted to the gut to process the load of sugar. This causes the common feeling of bloating and hastens dehydration. Our bodies know what to do with real food and b/c there is a mix of macronutrients in real food, gastric emptying, and the digestive process is slowed such that there is more sustained energy delivered to working muscles and stabilized blood glucose.

Another hack i learned was to use glucose tablets towards the end of the run of an IM or HIM. I haven't done one since i learned about them, but have used them on long runs with good success. They give you a nice boost of glucose (duh) right when you need it most. 

ETA: i may as delve a bit deeper: The goal on the bike is to fuel for it but also to have a bit of residual fuel in your digestive tract to draw on for the run. On the run, the goal isn't to supply extra calories for the future but to keep blood sugar levels elevated, without dips, to maintain pace. Divide the run into thirds (this if for IM, HIM you don't have to be near as anal): the first 3d, if you can, have small bites of soft bars, figs, or smooshed soft pretzels before moving on to energy chews (chews are different than gels). In the 2d third, switch to soft jelly candies/energy chews, and on the last 3d you look for quick hits of sugar that won't upset your stomach - glucose tabs! On hot days using menthos chewy mints are also a great choice as the give a quick hit of sugar with the cooling perception of the menthol. Do not follow them up with a Coke! Trust me on the last point, in CHOO IM, i did the coke thing and was nauseous for miles!

Nice summary, AM!

And, of course, practice your nutrition before your event.

2021-09-14 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Nice summary, AM!

And, of course, practice your nutrition before your event.

now I just need to do another long course race to implement the advice myself 

2021-09-14 3:13 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Great nutritional advice, Ann-Marie.  It goes along with what my coach told me one time, to not do a drink other than water with gels/food.  I tend to 'eat', drink a little water, then wait a while to take a drink of Nuun (which I've been using).  He had said that under exertion, blood moves away from the digestive system to your extremities making digestion 'harder', so don't make your stomach's hard job even harder with overloading it.

2021-09-14 7:01 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
What do you use for bike transport. I have a hitch carrier, its the type the bike hangs on and not the platform. I'm not pleased with it. Does anyone use a platform carrier? Is so what kind and do you like it?
2021-09-14 7:37 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Originally posted by melbo55

Great nutritional advice, Ann-Marie.  It goes along with what my coach told me one time, to not do a drink other than water with gels/food.  I tend to 'eat', drink a little water, then wait a while to take a drink of Nuun (which I've been using).  He had said that under exertion, blood moves away from the digestive system to your extremities making digestion 'harder', so don't make your stomach's hard job even harder with overloading it.

Thank you for the information
D2 warned me about/chastised me for drinking Gatorade in Tulsa. I halfa$$ed listened to her and used primarily water for prehydration the week before this race. I thought I could use the Gatorade on course in part for nutrition. In retrospect, before I started using Gatorade, I was not having these issues. Plus I was using fewer gels and used other nutrition sources. I guess it's back to the lab for me to figure this out. I don't look forward to having to tell D2 she was right. I am going to get a long science lecture in which I will only understand half.
2021-09-14 7:39 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella What do you use for bike transport. I have a hitch carrier, its the type the bike hangs on and not the platform. I'm not pleased with it. Does anyone use a platform carrier? Is so what kind and do you like it?

I have the Thule T2 Classic ( I think). I like it, but it is very heavy and a bit awkward when putting it up or down. Thats why I never take it off my car! I think if I were to do it again I’d spend the extra money for a Kuat or 1 up or from the original maker of the 1 up, quickrstuff.  Of course, the new Thules may be lighter and easier to maneuver .

2021-09-15 7:55 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by JBacarella What do you use for bike transport. I have a hitch carrier, its the type the bike hangs on and not the platform. I'm not pleased with it. Does anyone use a platform carrier? Is so what kind and do you like it?

Also have one that is i think a Euro brand that i don't know - my DH works for a big retailer and was asked by the buyer to try it out (and then keep it) - it is really easy to get the bike on and feel secure but the way that it folds down to get in the hatch of our car is kind of annoying and it doesn't fold up when not using it - so we really only bring out very sparingly. 

2021-09-15 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I have a Honda Fit. I put the seats down and put the bike inside.

Kevin has a Yakima Holdup 2 rack with bike locks.  It seems to do the trick. 

2021-09-15 1:05 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Like Ann-Marie, I also have an older Thule tray type carrier which I like a lot.  I despised the hanging carrier I had for many reasons, the main one was it damaged the paint on my bikes.  The tray is so much easier for loading bikes but like Ann-Marie said, it is heavy but ditto on perhaps newer models are lighter.

2021-09-15 2:51 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I have the Thule T2 Classic ( I think). I like it, but it is very heavy and a bit awkward when putting it up or down. Thats why I never take it off my car! I think if I were to do it again I’d spend the extra money for a Kuat or 1 up or from the original maker of the 1 up, quickrstuff.  Of course, the new Thules may be lighter and easier to maneuver .

I have a tailgate cover on the truck and a hanger that rarely goes on the car. I did a trip with some friends to Ga and we used a Kuat 4 bike platform, with an internal locking cable. Also, Kuat makes a two bike platform rack that you can get an additional two bike piece for. This sounds like the best possible option, albeit, a bit pricey. TBH, that will be the ticket if I ever have to buy another one.

2021-09-16 9:36 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Hey kids!

IMCHOO is this coming weekend - the buzz is air temps in the high 70s, dew point in the 50s and a wetsuit legal float down the river.

How come when Janyne, Ann Marie and I do it - it's 100 degrees, humid and bacteria-cancelled swim?!

Anyone doing it this year?
2021-09-16 9:39 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Hey kids! IMCHOO is this coming weekend - the buzz is air temps in the high 70s, dew point in the 50s and a wetsuit legal float down the river. How come when Janyne, Ann Marie and I do it - it's 100 degrees, humid and bacteria-cancelled swim?! Anyone doing it this year?

I guess we are just lucky.  Maybe they'll get some of TS Nicholas and will make it more EPIC for these poor souls.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74