of 74

2021-10-01 8:44 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by marysia83 Proof of life and motivation seeking post... Life is busy here, with work and school, but I have to admit I absolutely love the school aspect! I am trying to complete my bachelor degree in ethnic studies and I am fascinated by the subject. Well, heartbroken too, as the history is very upsetting, but learning - and sharing that knowledge with my kids - I absolutely very rewarding. Training wise... I can't get myself to have a consistent training. I think once I make it a habit it will come naturally. But right now I either have to make myslef, or i am an expert in finding excuses. I decided to do baby steps, so i am biking for around an hour, with a goal of 2-3 times per week. And running as often as time and weather permits, starting with 20-30 minutes. I would absolutely love to do some ultra runs plus Oly/HIM triathlon next year, so I really need to get the training and habit going. Knowing that I completed 50k, half, and marathon with barely any training does not help... What are your advices and tips to get the butt outside and train?

I need to schedule it, not just say, "if time permits" or "if the weather cooperates."  For me, I need to have a training plan and put it on the calendar to get it to happen. Mostly that means a formal training plan but there have been times in my life when it meant show up for group rides on Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday or something similar.  But mostly, I need it scheduled.

yep, this is what I need too. 

2021-10-01 9:10 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by marysia83 Proof of life and motivation seeking post... Life is busy here, with work and school, but I have to admit I absolutely love the school aspect! I am trying to complete my bachelor degree in ethnic studies and I am fascinated by the subject. Well, heartbroken too, as the history is very upsetting, but learning - and sharing that knowledge with my kids - I absolutely very rewarding. Training wise... I can't get myself to have a consistent training. I think once I make it a habit it will come naturally. But right now I either have to make myslef, or i am an expert in finding excuses. I decided to do baby steps, so i am biking for around an hour, with a goal of 2-3 times per week. And running as often as time and weather permits, starting with 20-30 minutes. I would absolutely love to do some ultra runs plus Oly/HIM triathlon next year, so I really need to get the training and habit going. Knowing that I completed 50k, half, and marathon with barely any training does not help... What are your advices and tips to get the butt outside and train?

I don't know, you are in a hectic phase of life. That is a lot going on. I think that what works for you are the things you will actually do and 'should' let yourself off the hook for the rest. 'Should' is a hard word and I get wanting to train for all the things ... and don't get me wrong, I am not saying not to try but there is an intersection of what you will actually do and what fits in your life. Training and triathlon are hobbies, they keep you fit, yes, but also it should also be fun for you - not another obligation. 

Do you do well with accountability? Would a coach help? A coach should be able to listen and plan for you training that fits into your life and goals. Or is it signing up for Masters swim and paying money and showing up a couple of times a week. I am usually in the camp of 'something is better than nothing' 

Thanks. I was not considering that option, but should look into it. Some Master Swim in the area are still not open or very limited.
With how chaotic it seems, I actually have a better situation now than when I used to train and race triathlons haha I think I am more stable now emotionally and financially, and my kids are independent - when I started training in 2014 or 2015 I had to manage child care, plus commuting between their schools and activities was consuming lots of time.

I already bike on MTB trails, and hike/run a bit in the mountains. I just need to find consistancy and have some sort of structure to help me build up the distance, endurance, stamina, and strength. Thanks for suggesting the coach, I need to explore that option.
2021-10-01 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I hope that everyone is doing well. We have no racers this week that I know of.

Is anyone racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2021-10-01 9:40 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
No exciting training but hoping to get to Sisters (on the eastern side of the Cascades) tomorrow for some shopping and to celebrate Mom's birthday. Probably a run on Sunday. It's getting seriously nippy here in the mornings and evenings and trees are starting to turn; should be a nice ride up and over tomorrow, except for driving through the area that burned last year, which is always sad--knowing what it used to look like and that it won't be like that again, at least in my lifetime.
2021-10-03 5:09 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Proof of life post!
I did a gravel race in Iowa this weekend -- kind of a last minute thing. There was rain in the forecast but it held off. No idea how I did as results weren't posted but it's more about riding in a different area than competing for me. Oh, and the post ride BBQ made it worth the three hour drive!
2021-10-04 9:35 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Ummm.....if you mean descend on Salem for the race or a Manatee get-together before or after, sure. If you mean personally descend on our house to stay, maybe not. No spare bedroom. Plus we're about 65 miles south of Salem so it would be a REALLY early race morning (as stated in my report). You're welcome to visit in person if you happen to be in town or passing through and are vaccinated, though. (I live with 83 year old Mom so am pretty cautious with health matters.)

No, I did not mean stay with you.

Anyway Phil and I are registered! We're coming to OR in July 2022! WOOT!

2021-10-04 9:37 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by Hot Runner Ummm.....if you mean descend on Salem for the race or a Manatee get-together before or after, sure. If you mean personally descend on our house to stay, maybe not. No spare bedroom. Plus we're about 65 miles south of Salem so it would be a REALLY early race morning (as stated in my report). You're welcome to visit in person if you happen to be in town or passing through and are vaccinated, though. (I live with 83 year old Mom so am pretty cautious with health matters.)
No, I did not mean stay with you. Anyway Phil and I are registered! We're coming to OR in July 2022! WOOT!

It sounds like lots of folks are registering for events. Go team!

2021-10-04 11:48 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by abake

Proof of life post!
I did a gravel race in Iowa this weekend -- kind of a last minute thing. There was rain in the forecast but it held off. No idea how I did as results weren't posted but it's more about riding in a different area than competing for me. Oh, and the post ride BBQ made it worth the three hour drive!

Mmmmm.... the post race bbq!!
Despite not having the official results, how do you feel about your performance? And riding in a new place?
2021-10-04 4:03 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Pennsylvania

Proof of life post here, too.  I've been AWOL in NC for the past week and loved every minute of it.  Well, almost.  There were a few tiny blips but not enough to make me think negatively of the trip.  It's the first time I've been to the Outer Banks since I was a small child so it was all new and fascinating to me.  We had daily beach walks, a long bike excursion, and a sunset kayak excursion, exercise-wise.  Plus a few other fun things along the way.

2021-10-05 11:17 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by melbo55

Proof of life post here, too.  I've been AWOL in NC for the past week and loved every minute of it.  Well, almost.  There were a few tiny blips but not enough to make me think negatively of the trip.  It's the first time I've been to the Outer Banks since I was a small child so it was all new and fascinating to me.  We had daily beach walks, a long bike excursion, and a sunset kayak excursion, exercise-wise.  Plus a few other fun things along the way.

That does sounds like fun, a very relaxing type of fun!
2021-10-05 11:52 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by melbo55

That does sounds like fun, a very relaxing type of fun!

x2 and your pictures on Instagram were beautiful! Makes me want to 'go to there' (Liz Lemon reference

2021-10-05 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I signed up for a half marathon in March - i've done this one twice before and it's a great early season race that makes sure i train all winter. Darren gave me the go-ahead even though its his HIM year. lol! He just told me that his training takes priority but not many races around here have announced any dates for 2022 ... so he's in a bit of limbo picking up some base training while kind of waiting to see. He'd like a september race but isn't that keen on travelling to the US just yet. 

Anyway, i am on the hunt for a half marathon plan - i am experienced enough to know what i want but not so much that i feel confident enough to plan it on my own.  I know i want Heart rate based, 4 days a week of runs (or easy enough to sub in an easy run with a bike or something) nothing to crazy complicated for runs, prefer a 2 week build/1 week cut back, enough space to bike and do strength as well. I have a few things in mind but will report back but if you've had any luck with some online plans, let me know! 

2021-10-05 12:06 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I signed up for a half marathon in March - i've done this one twice before and it's a great early season race that makes sure i train all winter. Darren gave me the go-ahead even though its his HIM year. lol! He just told me that his training takes priority but not many races around here have announced any dates for 2022 ... so he's in a bit of limbo picking up some base training while kind of waiting to see. He'd like a september race but isn't that keen on travelling to the US just yet. 

Anyway, i am on the hunt for a half marathon plan - i am experienced enough to know what i want but not so much that i feel confident enough to plan it on my own.  I know i want Heart rate based, 4 days a week of runs (or easy enough to sub in an easy run with a bike or something) nothing to crazy complicated for runs, prefer a 2 week build/1 week cut back, enough space to bike and do strength as well. I have a few things in mind but will report back but if you've had any luck with some online plans, let me know! 

I used 80/20 endurance for one of my HIM and really liked it. They have all different sorts of plans based on levels (if you pick the wrong one you can switch no issue), they have HR based plans and power based ones. I think they are 2 week build, 1 cut back , but check them out to be sure!

2021-10-05 2:00 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by abake

Proof of life post! I did a gravel race in Iowa this weekend -- kind of a last minute thing. There was rain in the forecast but it held off. No idea how I did as results weren't posted but it's more about riding in a different area than competing for me. Oh, and the post ride BBQ made it worth the three hour drive!

That's great about the post-ride food. That would sell me for sure! 

2021-10-05 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Wow! We'll have racers next year for sure!

2021-10-05 5:58 PM

User image

Expert
D2 has her sports physiology course and they are currently studying running shoes. She is suggesting I switch to the Hoka One One. Her professor considers it one of the best shoes for endurance sports. Does anyone use them? OR Has anyone used them? If so what do you think? Pros/cons would you buy them again?

2021-10-05 6:15 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella D2 has her sports physiology course and they are currently studying running shoes. She is suggesting I switch to the Hoka One One. Her professor considers it one of the best shoes for endurance sports. Does anyone use them? OR Has anyone used them? If so what do you think? Pros/cons would you buy them again?

I bought the Hoke Bondis when they were a brand new brand. There were only 2 versions at the time and you couldn't find them in the store. They were really odd-looking - I called them clown shoes, and everyone noticed and commented on them! The first time I went for a run in them I thought I made the biggest mistake. But after about .5 mile I loved them! I found that my legs were less tired after long runs, they were the exact opposite of the minimalist shoes that were all the rage and felt almost decadent! But, they were very expensive and the uppers were a piece of crap - tore super easily. So, I did not get a second pair. They eventually sold out to the company that makes them now, added tons of models, became less clown-like, and quality improved. So, I tried them again. Unfortunately, in the time b/w shoes I developed some Achilles issues, so the low drop (4mm) was not a good fit for me. I really want to be able to wear them b/c I did find they were great for long runs, but alas, my body is stupid!

2021-10-05 6:35 PM

User image

Originally posted by JBacarella

D2 has her sports physiology course and they are currently studying running shoes. She is suggesting I switch to the Hoka One One. Her professor considers it one of the best shoes for endurance sports. Does anyone use them? OR Has anyone used them? If so what do you think? Pros/cons would you buy them again?

I love Hokas and would run in them forever - if I could.

Due to my surgery on my ankle and foot I no longer have full range of motion in my ankle. This has now caused some arthritis in my left knee. My PT has told me to not run in anything with a drop smaller than 8mm. The largest drop Hoka has is a 5. The PT said that if you have bad ankles or knees run with a higher drop. Bad back run with a smaller drop.

The surgery I had also caused some nerve damage so I loved the Hokas because it was like walking on clouds. I even got written up for wearing my Hokas at school. My surgeon did write a note saying I could wear whatever shoe I wanted due to the nerve damage. However, the principal who wrote me up never forgot that and he ruined teaching for me. Funny enough, he started wearing Hokas to work the year I decided to retire. Before I told him I was retiring he decided I was the best teacher in the world.

Pros: early stage meta rocker that reduces the impact for early strikers; cushioning; toe box was roomy without being to big therefore reducing toe nail issues; overall comfort; and a variety of shoes for different running styles, including stability and late stage meta rockers.

Cons: no drops higher than a 5.

If Hoka made a shoe that had an 8mm drop but charged $300 for the shoe, I would still buy the shoe in a heart beat.

I'm actually thinking of writing a letter to Hoka telling them I had to break up with them and begging them to make a shoe with a bigger drop
2021-10-05 6:38 PM
in reply to: #5273965

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
My experience with Hokas is one run during demo days at the LRS. I loved the Cliftons. Also, my wife has a friend who has foot issues and swears by them. So yeah, not much of a review. I will say that if I ever start running again, I will be looking long and hard at them.
2021-10-05 9:48 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
D2 seems to think they will stop some of my issues with Achilles tendonitis. I was surprised that they are lighter than Zoot by about an once. I guess I will find out next week when they get here.
2021-10-06 7:30 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by JBacarella D2 seems to think they will stop some of my issues with Achilles tendonitis. I was surprised that they are lighter than Zoot by about an once. I guess I will find out next week when they get here.

Definitely report back - i mean if you're already having issues then giving them a try should be worth it. 

I have been running in the same model of Asics for years - and i haven't been injured in SO long so it feels like a gamble to try something new ... but i do love hearing about it! 

2021-10-06 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella D2 seems to think they will stop some of my issues with Achilles tendonitis. I was surprised that they are lighter than Zoot by about an once. I guess I will find out next week when they get here.

I'll be interested to hear how they work b/c the low drop definitely are no bueno for my Achilles issues!

2021-10-06 9:17 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Definitely report back - i mean if you're already having issues then giving them a try should be worth it. 

I have been running in the same model of Asics for years - and i haven't been injured in SO long so it feels like a gamble to try something new ... but i do love hearing about it! 

Same here - only running in Mizuno for years and never had issues, but am looking forward to new shoes if there's a game changer.
2021-10-06 9:22 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm also looking forward to your short term and long term review of the Hokas!

2021-10-06 10:39 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by JBacarella

my foot dr loves Hokas too. I ran in Cliftons for a few years but they kept changing them and I felt I could never get a good fit so I went back to Brooks.

Let us know how you like them.

FWIW Phil has been running on those goofy Nikes with the mega cushioning and loves them. He went from a racing flat to those. The only negative is he wears through them like crazy.

Oh on a related note - has anyone found a good way to recycle sneakers that are too worn to donate? I think Nike takes them but we don't really have one close to us. We have so many shoes I may take a ride though......
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74