Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 74

2021-10-06 2:42 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!
Another proof of life post! I'm still working on building up to a run of any significance, but trying to get more consistent at least with the short runs that I've been doing. The Hoka reviews sound interesting. I've been using mostly minimal shoes for over 10 years but am always willing to try something different. Lately I've even been doing some running in Xero sandals or barefoot, so Hokas would certainly add variety.

2021-10-06 8:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by JBacarella

D2 has her sports physiology course and they are currently studying running shoes. She is suggesting I switch to the Hoka One One. Her professor considers it one of the best shoes for endurance sports. Does anyone use them? OR Has anyone used them? If so what do you think? Pros/cons would you buy them again?

my foot dr loves Hokas too. I ran in Cliftons for a few years but they kept changing them and I felt I could never get a good fit so I went back to Brooks.

Let us know how you like them.

FWIW Phil has been running on those goofy Nikes with the mega cushioning and loves them. He went from a racing flat to those. The only negative is he wears through them like crazy.

Oh on a related note - has anyone found a good way to recycle sneakers that are too worn to donate? I think Nike takes them but we don't really have one close to us. We have so many shoes I may take a ride though......

I've been running in Zoot for longer than I would care to admit. I'll just say 4 age groups ago. So to make the change is big. I usually get 500-600 miles out of them. I am concerned about how well they will hold up. She has seen me have occasional issues with Achilles tendonitis. She sent a little chart with several shoes and if she felt they were good.

Regarding recycling, I have a rotation that goes from runner, to casual wear, to basement/yard shoe, to project grass cutting and then they die years later when I have to paint something.

Also she has chastised me for drinking Gatorade. I am working on nutrition and hydration too. That seems to be a bigger project.

Edited by JBacarella 2021-10-06 8:22 PM
2021-10-06 10:26 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I have run partly to mostly in Hokas (depending on running surface and mileage, niggles or lack thereof, etc.) for about five years. Have worn various renditions of the Hoka Clifton but found them kind of heavy and stiff. They helped with some niggles such as a bout with Morton's neuroma (since the toe box is super wide) and plantar fascitis (since they're cushiony) but I felt like they kept me from really using my natural stride, except maybe on gravel/dirt roads or trails. I mentioned that last year at the running store and they suggested the Hoka Rincon, which is still nicely cushioned but has a firmer, "bouncy" feel and is a bit lighter. I really like those shoes and am on pair #2 now. I've been alternating them with the Saucony Kinvara (which is a much lighter, less cushiony shoes)--using the Kinvara on the forgiving wood chip trails that Eugene is known for, and the Rincon for longer runs on pavement.

I'm pretty lightweight (120 pounds or a bit less depending on hydration and my last meal!) and tend to struggle with running shoes feeling too stiff and heavy. I think many popular models were designed for somewhat heavier people. It's always been a challenge to find shoes that give enough cushioning so I'm happy on long runs, but not so stiff that I can't easily go through my natural stride.
2021-10-07 6:47 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella D2 has her sports physiology course and they are currently studying running shoes. She is suggesting I switch to the Hoka One One. Her professor considers it one of the best shoes for endurance sports. Does anyone use them? OR Has anyone used them? If so what do you think? Pros/cons would you buy them again?
my foot dr loves Hokas too. I ran in Cliftons for a few years but they kept changing them and I felt I could never get a good fit so I went back to Brooks. Let us know how you like them. FWIW Phil has been running on those goofy Nikes with the mega cushioning and loves them. He went from a racing flat to those. The only negative is he wears through them like crazy. Oh on a related note - has anyone found a good way to recycle sneakers that are too worn to donate? I think Nike takes them but we don't really have one close to us. We have so many shoes I may take a ride though......
I've been running in Zoot for longer than I would care to admit. I'll just say 4 age groups ago. So to make the change is big. I usually get 500-600 miles out of them. I am concerned about how well they will hold up. She has seen me have occasional issues with Achilles tendonitis. She sent a little chart with several shoes and if she felt they were good. Regarding recycling, I have a rotation that goes from runner, to casual wear, to basement/yard shoe, to project grass cutting and then they die years later when I have to paint something. Also she has chastised me for drinking Gatorade. I am working on nutrition and hydration too. That seems to be a bigger project. [/QUOTE]

I feel you on this! Despite me knowing what I should be doing, I always seem to mess up my nutrition on HIM or IM races. For HM, I can easily complete with only eating before the race and maybe a cup of water on course. I also can do long training runs without needing hydration or fuel. I think that has skewed my sense of needing to actually fuel while racing longer.  This is something I have to work on once I start training for my 2 Choo 2022 races!

2021-10-07 9:42 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by JBacarella D2 has her sports physiology course and they are currently studying running shoes. She is suggesting I switch to the Hoka One One. Her professor considers it one of the best shoes for endurance sports. Does anyone use them? OR Has anyone used them? If so what do you think? Pros/cons would you buy them again?
my foot dr loves Hokas too. I ran in Cliftons for a few years but they kept changing them and I felt I could never get a good fit so I went back to Brooks. Let us know how you like them. FWIW Phil has been running on those goofy Nikes with the mega cushioning and loves them. He went from a racing flat to those. The only negative is he wears through them like crazy. Oh on a related note - has anyone found a good way to recycle sneakers that are too worn to donate? I think Nike takes them but we don't really have one close to us. We have so many shoes I may take a ride though......
I've been running in Zoot for longer than I would care to admit. I'll just say 4 age groups ago. So to make the change is big. I usually get 500-600 miles out of them. I am concerned about how well they will hold up. She has seen me have occasional issues with Achilles tendonitis. She sent a little chart with several shoes and if she felt they were good. Regarding recycling, I have a rotation that goes from runner, to casual wear, to basement/yard shoe, to project grass cutting and then they die years later when I have to paint something. Also she has chastised me for drinking Gatorade. I am working on nutrition and hydration too. That seems to be a bigger project. [/QUOTE]

I feel you on this! Despite me knowing what I should be doing, I always seem to mess up my nutrition on HIM or IM races. For HM, I can easily complete with only eating before the race and maybe a cup of water on course. I also can do long training runs without needing hydration or fuel. I think that has skewed my sense of needing to actually fuel while racing longer.  This is something I have to work on once I start training for my 2 Choo 2022 races!

Right now I'm reading more about nutrition and endurance sports and will put together a plan in December and hopefully put it together going into January. I am going to get the input of D2 and her boyfriend (3rd year med student, undergrad in nutrition and human bio) and Implement it. It works out well, since I am planning on either doing IM Texas or IM Wisconsin in the Spring. Michelle is going to carry a heavier course load this winter. That will give me more time to experiment with hydration and nutrition in the comfort of my cold dark basement.
2021-10-07 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Right now I'm reading more about nutrition and endurance sports and will put together a plan in December and hopefully put it together going into January. I am going to get the input of D2 and her boyfriend (3rd year med student, undergrad in nutrition and human bio) and Implement it. It works out well, since I am planning on either doing IM Texas or IM Wisconsin in the Spring. Michelle is going to carry a heavier course load this winter. That will give me more time to experiment with hydration and nutrition in the comfort of my cold dark basement.

Thanks for clarifying that your cold dark basement is comfortable!

On a more serious note, keep us posted with your progress.

2021-10-07 1:52 PM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

October 9-10
Janyne - White Squirrel Classic 100k (road)
Melanie - hockey game

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2021-10-07 3:41 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

80% of my running shoes over the past 30 years have been Asics, but for the past several years I have been trying to find a second brand of shoes that aren't Asics to alternate run days with.  I got the Hoka One One in a few years ago. 

1) The One One have what is called the Fulcrum in them which is designed to make your feet roll forward when they hit the ground instead of hit it with a clunk.  When I first got them I couldn't get over the image of having rocking horses on the bottom of my feet and had to look down many times just to make sure that I didn't. 

2) I got blisters the first 2-3 weeks I ran in the One One.  I haven't got blisters in any other shoes before.  It was weird but after my feet callused up it wasn't a problem.

3) The One One have a high heel to toe drop (9mm if think).  I was used to a medium heel to toe drop (6-7mm) and could feel the difference.  I went out and tried a zero heel to toe drop so see what that felt like and can say that for me the high drop was more managable than zero drop.

4) The ONE ONE are NOT a light shoe.  They are one of the heaviest shoes I have trained in.

5) The ONE ONE is one of the tallest shoes I have trained in. I sometime felt like I was on stilts   

6) The think I like most about the ONE ONE was how cushy they are.  By far the Cushiest shoe I have trained in.

7) The cushion breaks down fast through.  I only got about 400 miles on these before my sensitive knees were telling me that the cussion was all broke down and I needed new shoes.  I have to get at least 500 miles out of a pair of shoes to be happy with them.  My current On Running On Cloud Shoes hit 600 miles this week and they knees are still fine with their cushioning (although I have placed my order for their replacement already).  

The wight of the ONE ONE make them only practical as a long run shoe.  It is not a race shoe.  The cushiness also make them ideal for long runs.  I loved them on long runs when I could unlock my hip and get in a rhythm that would maximize the roll of the fulcrum.  It felt great. 

2021-10-07 5:30 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

80% of my running shoes over the past 30 years have been Asics, but for the past several years I have been trying to find a second brand of shoes that aren't Asics to alternate run days with.  I got the Hoka One One in a few years ago. 

1) The One One have what is called the Fulcrum in them which is designed to make your feet roll forward when they hit the ground instead of hit it with a clunk.  When I first got them I couldn't get over the image of having rocking horses on the bottom of my feet and had to look down many times just to make sure that I didn't. 

2) I got blisters the first 2-3 weeks I ran in the One One.  I haven't got blisters in any other shoes before.  It was weird but after my feet callused up it wasn't a problem.

3) The One One have a high heel to toe drop (9mm if think).  I was used to a medium heel to toe drop (6-7mm) and could feel the difference.  I went out and tried a zero heel to toe drop so see what that felt like and can say that for me the high drop was more managable than zero drop.

4) The ONE ONE are NOT a light shoe.  They are one of the heaviest shoes I have trained in.

5) The ONE ONE is one of the tallest shoes I have trained in. I sometime felt like I was on stilts   

6) The think I like most about the ONE ONE was how cushy they are.  By far the Cushiest shoe I have trained in.

7) The cushion breaks down fast through.  I only got about 400 miles on these before my sensitive knees were telling me that the cussion was all broke down and I needed new shoes.  I have to get at least 500 miles out of a pair of shoes to be happy with them.  My current On Running On Cloud Shoes hit 600 miles this week and they knees are still fine with their cushioning (although I have placed my order for their replacement already).  

The wight of the ONE ONE make them only practical as a long run shoe.  It is not a race shoe.  The cushiness also make them ideal for long runs.  I loved them on long runs when I could unlock my hip and get in a rhythm that would maximize the roll of the fulcrum.  It felt great. 

im interested to know which model you run in as all the models I’ve looked at in the past have drops of wither 4 or 5 mm. I can’t do that low, but a 9mm would work!

2021-10-07 9:10 PM

User image

Expert

Do you run with or without socks? I have not worn socks in a long time and use a generous amount of glide the first few weeks, until I get used to the hot spots.
I use the same method as you to determine when it's time to get new shoes. My knees tell me. I normally get 500-600 miles out of Zoot. Other brands have not held up as well.
2021-10-08 5:04 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by marysia83

Originally posted by abake

Originally posted by jmkizer

I hope that everyone is doing well. We have no racers this week that I know of.

Is anyone racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

Proof of life post!
I did a gravel race in Iowa this weekend -- kind of a last minute thing. There was rain in the forecast but it held off. No idea how I did as results weren't posted but it's more about riding in a different area than competing for me. Oh, and the post ride BBQ made it worth the three hour drive!

Mmmmm.... the post race bbq!!
Despite not having the official results, how do you feel about your performance? And riding in a new place?

I felt pretty good about my ride -- the field was really small so Steve and I were alone most of the time. I think all the hill training I did earlier this year was really beneficial, not just in strong climbing but in navigating the trickier sections of loose, thick gravel. And there was a lot of it!

2021-10-08 5:10 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Expert
Illinois
Proof of Life post --- it's been cooler and rainy here in Illinois and is really starting to feel like fall, which has me thinking about events for next year. Are the Manatees planning for 2022 races?
2021-10-08 10:28 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

im interested to know which model you run in as all the models I’ve looked at in the past have drops of wither 4 or 5 mm. I can’t do that low, but a 9mm would work!

Well In looks like Asics is moving to more heel to toe drop.  The Kayano 21's had a heel to toe drop of 7.9 mm.  I was thinking that most of the Asics shoes I had worn were in the 6-7's.  It see that the Kayano 23-27 all have a 10mm heel to toe drop.

Here is a list of my current/recent shoes:

- Asics Glide Ride: 5mm drop          - Asics DS Trainer: 8mm drop          - Asics Gel Scram: 10mm drop         - OnRunning OnCloud: 6mm drop          - Hoka One One Bondi: 4mm drop 

So... it turns out I am full of it. I got the Bondi 3 years ago.  I had didn't know what heel drop was before that but the first thing my brother asked me when he found out I got some Hoka One One Bondi was, "How do you like the heel drop".  I had no idea what he meant so I schooled up on it.  I haven't look at it since until today. My brother runs Ultra trail races in Altras which are a zero drop shoe.  I went out and tried some of them after the Bondi and ran in them at the store but didn't like the zero drop and got the Asics Glide Ride.   The Bondi is a great long-run shoe but not a race shoe due to its weight.

2021-10-08 10:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Do you run with or without socks? I have not worn socks in a long time and use a generous amount of glide the first few weeks, until I get used to the hot spots. I use the same method as you to determine when it's time to get new shoes. My knees tell me. I normally get 500-600 miles out of Zoot. Other brands have not held up as well.

I run with socks; even in races. I went sockless for my first time at the CapTex Oly Tri this year.  I did get blisters on the bike but that doesn't count since that wasn't when I was in running shoes.  My first two Marathons I also got blisters, in race flats.  I don't count that either.  I had toenails falling off after those races.  :-)

Edited by BlueBoy26 2021-10-08 10:37 AM
2021-10-08 11:30 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Well In looks like Asics is moving to more heel to toe drop.  The Kayano 21's had a heel to toe drop of 7.9 mm.  I was thinking that most of the Asics shoes I had worn were in the 6-7's.  It see that the Kayano 23-27 all have a 10mm heel to toe drop.

Here is a list of my current/recent shoes:

- Asics Glide Ride: 5mm drop          - Asics DS Trainer: 8mm drop          - Asics Gel Scram: 10mm drop         - OnRunning OnCloud: 6mm drop          - Hoka One One Bondi: 4mm drop 

So... it turns out I am full of it. I got the Bondi 3 years ago.  I had didn't know what heel drop was before that but the first thing my brother asked me when he found out I got some Hoka One One Bondi was, "How do you like the heel drop".  I had no idea what he meant so I schooled up on it.  I haven't look at it since until today. My brother runs Ultra trail races in Altras which are a zero drop shoe.  I went out and tried some of them after the Bondi and ran in them at the store but didn't like the zero drop and got the Asics Glide Ride.   The Bondi is a great long-run shoe but not a race shoe due to its weight.

LOL, I didn’t know anything about heel drop when I got my first pair of Hokas either! 

2021-10-08 11:48 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by abake Proof of Life post --- it's been cooler and rainy here in Illinois and is really starting to feel like fall, which has me thinking about events for next year. Are the Manatees planning for 2022 races?

I'm registered for Chatty 70.3 (5/22) and IM Wisconsin (6/19

2021-10-08 12:15 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by abake Proof of Life post --- it's been cooler and rainy here in Illinois and is really starting to feel like fall, which has me thinking about events for next year. Are the Manatees planning for 2022 races?

It is still just about summer weather here   Right now it looks like I'll be spending lots of time in Chattanooga - I'm registered for the 70.3 (rollover since 2020) and the 144.6 (b/c I lost my mind). I am also registered for a HM outside Glacier National Park. This is also a rollover since 2020. I am really looking forward to this one!

2021-10-08 12:15 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

I don't know of a lot of Manatee events for 2022 but we do have some big ones already on the calendar!

Feb 6
Lisa - Tallahassee Half Marathon

March 6
Jen Snyder - Chilly Half Marathon

May 22
Lisa - IM Chattanooga 70.3
Ann-Marie - IM Chattanooga 70.3

June 11
Janyne - BWR Asheville

June 19
Lisa - IM Wisconsin

September 25
Ann-Marie  - IM Chattanooga

2021-10-08 12:18 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It is still just about summer weather here   Right now it looks like I'll be spending lots of time in Chattanooga - I'm registered for the 70.3 (rollover since 2020) and the 144.6 (b/c I lost my mind). I am also registered for a HM outside Glacier National Park. This is also a rollover since 2020. I am really looking forward to this one!

[Janyne quickly adds Glacier to the race calendar ]

2021-10-08 1:28 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, Colorado

Racing Manatees!!!

October 9-10
Melanie - hockey game

Dooo eeettt!!!

Yay!!! Go Manatees! Have a safe and fantastic races!
2021-10-08 2:33 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I don't know of a lot of Manatee events for 2022 but we do have some big ones already on the calendar!

Feb 6

March 6

May 22

June 11
Janyne - BWR Asheville

June 19
Lisa - IM Wisconsin

September 25

put me down for Oregon 70.3!

(and possibly IMMT OMG)

2021-10-08 3:37 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Feb 6

March 6

May 22

June 11
Janyne - BWR Asheville

June 19
Lisa - IM Wisconsin

September 25

put me down for Oregon 70.3! (and possibly IMMT OMG)

Done!

2021-10-08 6:40 PM

User image

Expert

Feb 6

March 6

May 22

June 11
Janyne - BWR Asheville

June 19
Lisa - IM Wisconsin

September 25

Done!

Put me down for
IM Michigan 70.3 on 9/11 and
IM Texas or IM Wisconsin (Things are still up in the air for the Spring, it will probably be Texas).
2021-10-09 7:03 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

October 9-10
Melanie - hockey game

Dooo eeettt!!!

Have a wonderful ride, Janyne. It is going to be beautiful.Happy skating, Mel!
2021-10-09 8:56 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Feb 6

March 6

May 22

June 11
Janyne - BWR Asheville

June 19
Lisa - IM Wisconsin

September 25

Done!

Put me down for IM Michigan 70.3 on 9/11 andIM Texas or IM Wisconsin (Things are still up in the air for the Spring, it will probably be Texas).
All these racers make me happy, jealous and a little sad at the same time. I have no idea when i will be able to do any races. I do have the NYC tri that was deferred from 2020 on my schedule. All sorts of fingers crossed I can do it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74