Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!
Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by JBacarella It is official now, IM Texas is a go for April 23, 2022. I paid money, so there is no turning back.

Maybe the steep price of IM races is the company’s way to keep us motivated to race and not just a money grab

Well...the steep price kept me out of IM Texas last week.  When I started the sport my annual budget for the sport was $1000.00.  I can't do that with race entries over $800.  I can still find half Iron races for under $300 so they are what is am sticking with for now.  When I am ready to do a 140.6 I will have to see if I can get the lawmakers to pass a vote to increase my household debt ceiling.  :-)

That's one of the reasons I stay with local races, and not IM brands (or big brands). Well, I only did one HIM, but it was a local, small Wisconsin race, and it was maybe $120 or something? Comparing to HIM Michigan that cost over $500 that year. I understand IM brand offers well organized events, but small events are so cozy, everyone is so friendly, and the cost is so much lower... I did couple of big events in Chicago, and even came to Chicago marathon - and I just hate the crowds..... Small local events = no crazy crowds. Also, they often have much better beer options

The cost is pretty staggering but i also find it really interesting that in some ways it is cheaper than it used to be ... the proliferation of races has allowed more to be local to a least one of the 'branded' races. It makes me feel old but wasn't really that long ago but when my husband did Ironman Canada in 2007 there was only a handful of full-distance in North America  (and the 70.3 brand was only starting to become a thing) and the events sold out a year in advance so a lot of people travelled to the race the year before, paid to stay, volunteered for the day and got priority registration when it opened the next day in-person. He did actually fly out to BC to volunteer in 2006 ... so it's the fee plus all the accommodations and travel for two years. I mean, we did have Lake Placid in driving distance but it's still a 5 hour drive and still sold out as soon as it opened. 

Anyway, so exciting for Jim! We shall see how your new Hokas and updated nutrition program go! Under the guidance of your personal experts. 

Did any of us manatees ever do that where you went the year in advance to guarantee registration?? I know plenty go to cheer and spectate friends now and end up volunteering because why not? 

I volunteered at IM Florida in 2014 and then registered the next day. That was back when you practically had to be onsite to be able to get into the race. My role for the day was applying sunscreen --- it was somewhat pointless because the weather that day was really cold and overcast and all the racers were bundled up. But it was a great experience.

2021-10-15 6:42 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by abake

Originally posted by marysia83

Originally posted by JBacarella It is official now, IM Texas is a go for April 23, 2022. I paid money, so there is no turning back.

Maybe the steep price of IM races is the company’s way to keep us motivated to race and not just a money grab

Well...the steep price kept me out of IM Texas last week.  When I started the sport my annual budget for the sport was $1000.00.  I can't do that with race entries over $800.  I can still find half Iron races for under $300 so they are what is am sticking with for now.  When I am ready to do a 140.6 I will have to see if I can get the lawmakers to pass a vote to increase my household debt ceiling.  :-)

That's one of the reasons I stay with local races, and not IM brands (or big brands). Well, I only did one HIM, but it was a local, small Wisconsin race, and it was maybe $120 or something? Comparing to HIM Michigan that cost over $500 that year. I understand IM brand offers well organized events, but small events are so cozy, everyone is so friendly, and the cost is so much lower... I did couple of big events in Chicago, and even came to Chicago marathon - and I just hate the crowds..... Small local events = no crazy crowds. Also, they often have much better beer options

The cost is pretty staggering but i also find it really interesting that in some ways it is cheaper than it used to be ... the proliferation of races has allowed more to be local to a least one of the 'branded' races. It makes me feel old but wasn't really that long ago but when my husband did Ironman Canada in 2007 there was only a handful of full-distance in North America  (and the 70.3 brand was only starting to become a thing) and the events sold out a year in advance so a lot of people travelled to the race the year before, paid to stay, volunteered for the day and got priority registration when it opened the next day in-person. He did actually fly out to BC to volunteer in 2006 ... so it's the fee plus all the accommodations and travel for two years. I mean, we did have Lake Placid in driving distance but it's still a 5 hour drive and still sold out as soon as it opened. 

Anyway, so exciting for Jim! We shall see how your new Hokas and updated nutrition program go! Under the guidance of your personal experts. 

Did any of us manatees ever do that where you went the year in advance to guarantee registration?? I know plenty go to cheer and spectate friends now and end up volunteering because why not? 

I volunteered at IM Florida in 2014 and then registered the next day. That was back when you practically had to be onsite to be able to get into the race. My role for the day was applying sunscreen --- it was somewhat pointless because the weather that day was really cold and overcast and all the racers were bundled up. But it was a great experience.

When I first started in triathlon I was shocked that people had to do this to race IM distance races, but since I had no intention of doing an IM it didn't effect me  When I finally decided to do an IM this issue was a thing of the past.

2021-10-15 8:25 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by JBacarella

The Woodlands is 30 minutes from where I live.  The 10-miler that I did there last month followed a lot of the IM Texas run course.  I am excited for you.

Good to know that I have recon. How hilly is hilly on the run course? Is it Texas Hilly or Colorado Hilly?

Houston is flat as pancake.  When I was living in the rolling hills of Oklahoma the GPM would record 750 feet of elevation on my typical 7-mile run.  The IM Texas course will be about 50 feet of elevation on a 7-mile segment.  

2021-10-15 11:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Yes me! I traveled to Madison first in 2008 to volunteer and watch the BT contingency racing - so fun. It was one of my first experiences meeting BT people and it did not disappoint! That's what gave me THE BUG to want to do the full the next year. So again in 2009 I went to Madison to volunteer and get priority registration for 2010. It was serious - there was a huge line that formed at Monona Terrace the morning after the race and such excitement around registering an entire year in advance. It felt very exclusive and special. 

Edited by lisac957 2021-10-15 11:43 AM
2021-10-15 2:16 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

October 16-17
No racers that I know of this week

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

Edited by jmkizer 2021-10-15 2:16 PM
2021-10-15 6:58 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

October 16-17

I am riding in "Biking for Boobies" tomorrow morning. They are raising money the Seton Cancer Institute. Michelle is going to work it, Seton has a clinic in her hospital and she will receive the donation on behalf of the foundation she manages in the morning.

2021-10-15 8:12 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!!!

October 16-17

As close to an event as I have had in over a year, I'll be riding the "Avon Park Loop" this Saturday. And it'll be an early indicator on my fitness level for Cross Fl Gravel - Kings Road in December. 

2021-10-16 4:51 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Racing Manatees!!!

October 16-17

Riding in the Illinois Kanza gravel race today with DH. Weather looks terrible but we like this event and will just ride together rather than race it. And there's always hot soup afterwards
2021-10-16 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Is a 4200 yard master's workout considered "fun"? It was fun to finish it and go out for pumpkin and cream cheese scones after!
2021-10-16 2:59 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

Racing Manatees!!!

October 16-17

I am riding in "Biking for Boobies" tomorrow morning. They are raising money the Seton Cancer Institute. Michelle is going to work it, Seton has a clinic in her hospital and she will receive the donation on behalf of the foundation she manages in the morning.

Enjoy the ride. Great cause.

2021-10-16 3:01 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Racing Manatees!!!

October 16-17

As close to an event as I have had in over a year, I'll be riding the "Avon Park Loop" this Saturday. And it'll be an early indicator on my fitness level for Cross Fl Gravel - Kings Road in December. 

wait! We need more information about this Cross Florid Gravel!

2021-10-16 3:03 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

October 16-17

Riding in the Illinois Kanza gravel race today with DH. Weather looks terrible but we like this event and will just ride together rather than race it. And there's always hot soup afterwards

How was it?

2021-10-16 3:04 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Is a 4200 yard master's workout considered "fun"? It was fun to finish it and go out for pumpkin and cream cheese scones after!

The scones part sounds fun! 

2021-10-16 8:24 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by Hot Runner Is a 4200 yard master's workout considered "fun"? It was fun to finish it and go out for pumpkin and cream cheese scones after!

I'm in on scones!
2021-10-17 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Scones = YEAH!!!!

Swimming, not so much 

2021-10-17 8:06 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!!!

October 16-17

$40 gets you the route, nearly 200 miles. Do with it what you will. It is an extremely loosey goosey kind of thing. There is a "scheduled start time" but if you know the organizer(which we do), you know the reality.  So, our plan is to ride it in reverse, over two days with an overnight in Gainesville. We will probably end up doing 110-120 on day one and 75-85 on day two. "We" is a mix of 10-12 riders from SCORR. Some of the guys want to do one day, but yeah, most of us will do 2 days. I threw a ink into my profile.

In the realm of fun stupidity on gravel bikes, we are putting together a mega park hopper loop in the area that will cover 4 counties, and an as yet to be determined number of parks. It will probably be about 200-225 miles of mixed surface, starting/ending at the now infamous Carlton Preserve. There will be a variety of area high and low points possibly including (but not limited to) passing 2 gun ranges, only one of which is legal, multiple gate crossings of varying difficulty, creek crossings, areas with pig damage (think large ruts and bumps) and a few other items to keep it spicy. It will be an adventure ride and hopefully we get a few folks willing to try an FKT. A couple of guys in the group are already mulling it over, and we haven't completed the route yet.

And finally, Avon Park went very well. A bit of cramping near the end, but nothing overly concerning. I did this as more of a measuring stick, and am quite happy with where I stand, especially given the low amount of riding I have been doing. Now to figure out a "training" schedule for the next month and a half. 

I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the weekend.

Edited by cdban66 2021-10-17 8:07 AM

2021-10-17 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

October 16-17

$40 gets you the route, nearly 200 miles. Do with it what you will. It is an extremely loosey goosey kind of thing. There is a "scheduled start time" but if you know the organizer(which we do), you know the reality.  So, our plan is to ride it in reverse, over two days with an overnight in Gainesville. We will probably end up doing 110-120 on day one and 75-85 on day two. "We" is a mix of 10-12 riders from SCORR. Some of the guys want to do one day, but yeah, most of us will do 2 days. I threw a ink into my profile.

In the realm of fun stupidity on gravel bikes, we are putting together a mega park hopper loop in the area that will cover 4 counties, and an as yet to be determined number of parks. It will probably be about 200-225 miles of mixed surface, starting/ending at the now infamous Carlton Preserve. There will be a variety of area high and low points possibly including (but not limited to) passing 2 gun ranges, only one of which is legal, multiple gate crossings of varying difficulty, creek crossings, areas with pig damage (think large ruts and bumps) and a few other items to keep it spicy. It will be an adventure ride and hopefully we get a few folks willing to try an FKT. A couple of guys in the group are already mulling it over, and we haven't completed the route yet.

And finally, Avon Park went very well. A bit of cramping near the end, but nothing overly concerning. I did this as more of a measuring stick, and am quite happy with where I stand, especially given the low amount of riding I have been doing. Now to figure out a "training" schedule for the next month and a half. 

Wow! Those are some tough gravel rides you have planned! 

how's the riding in Avon Park? When I was a state attorney I lived in Sebring (next to Avon Park) and the main things I remember about it are the bomb range  and absolutely nothing else's worth noting!

2021-10-17 3:34 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

October 16-17

i am going to come down there next year and ride your park hopper with you. That is a threat and a promise. Maybe we can get Ann-Marie there, too.
2021-10-18 5:02 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Racing Manatees!!!

October 16-17

How was it?

IL Kanza VI was great! It's our (DH and me) fifth year at this event. They had new courses this year, so there was the anticipation of "what's around the next corner". Mostly it was a LOT of thick, fresh gravel. I had heard that going in and had put some big tires (42 Specialized Rhombus Pro) on and that did the trick. There was also a 2-mile stretch of deep grass on a farm lane with a water crossing --- the new tires just plowed right through that stuff like a little tank.
Lunch was amazing as always, served by volunteers in a local church. Just what was needed to warm up after a cold and windy day.
I checked the results the next day and learned that I came in first in the women's 41 mile event, which was a nice surprise. They are mailing my medal to me.
2021-10-18 5:09 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

October 16-17

How was it?

IL Kanza VI was great! It's our (DH and me) fifth year at this event. They had new courses this year, so there was the anticipation of "what's around the next corner". Mostly it was a LOT of thick, fresh gravel. I had heard that going in and had put some big tires (42 Specialized Rhombus Pro) on and that did the trick. There was also a 2-mile stretch of deep grass on a farm lane with a water crossing --- the new tires just plowed right through that stuff like a little tank. Lunch was amazing as always, served by volunteers in a local church. Just what was needed to warm up after a cold and windy day.I checked the results the next day and learned that I came in first in the women's 41 mile event, which was a nice surprise. They are mailing my medal to me.
Congratulations! What a great birthday present, and a nice qay to spend your birthday
2021-10-18 6:40 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh

Racing Manatees!!!

October 16-17

i am going to come down there next year and ride your park hopper with you. That is a threat and a promise. Maybe we can get Ann-Marie there, too.

perhaps a park.

2021-10-18 6:40 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

October 16-17

How was it?

IL Kanza VI was great! It's our (DH and me) fifth year at this event. They had new courses this year, so there was the anticipation of "what's around the next corner". Mostly it was a LOT of thick, fresh gravel. I had heard that going in and had put some big tires (42 Specialized Rhombus Pro) on and that did the trick. There was also a 2-mile stretch of deep grass on a farm lane with a water crossing --- the new tires just plowed right through that stuff like a little tank. Lunch was amazing as always, served by volunteers in a local church. Just what was needed to warm up after a cold and windy day. I checked the results the next day and learned that I came in first in the women's 41 mile event, which was a nice surprise. They are mailing my medal to me.

Congrats!

2021-10-18 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

October 16-17

Spicy pigs but no gators? What is the fun in that?!

2021-10-18 9:06 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

October 16-17

Wow! Those are some tough gravel rides you have planned! 

how's the riding in Avon Park? When I was a state attorney I lived in Sebring (next to Avon Park) and the main things I remember about it are the bomb range  and absolutely nothing else's worth noting!

Oh!  Bomb range = super spicy!

2021-10-18 9:07 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

Racing Manatees!!!

October 16-17

Oh!  Manatee Meetup!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74