in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by lisac957

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: My role is Bad Manatee. Whatever I do or have done, DO NOT DO. I am easily outsmarted but no one can outstupid me.

Oh my gosh this made me giggle! Glad to see you here!

Wienerlisaaaaaaaaa {MELON PRESS} I've missed you. FB ain't the same. How're the new digs suitin' you?

Loving my new home and neighborhood! It took me a few months, but I finally figured out how to connect to the greenway system (8-10 miles of paved greenway alongside a creek) right in my neighborhood. I didn't even know how close it was when I decided to move here! A nice surprise. 

Also, little things like actually having a garage, a coat closet, a utility closet and room for storage makes me so happy. I knew I was cramped in my previous situation, but having just that little bit more space is so nice. And the fenced in back yard is CLUTCH for the weiner

2021-01-11 3:02 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri
Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by cdban66

We have a Workbook for those that are interested in the JoGo Challenge. Drop any questions you may have in here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ceMf8W9oB3piW2e9nUXrL7qmFJ8jteUl02gHmwU9Ds4/edit?usp=sharing

We still need to determine a check in day. How does Friday sound? We start on 1/15 and move forward from there. I can make that adjustment on the sheets easily. Let me know.

That works for me.
The weight loss one shows start of 1/11 (today), then the other sheets show the first week as 1/13. Am I missing something? Is it 11, 13, or 15? Ha.

I suspect that Chris intended for all of them to have today's date. Chris, could you please confirm?

2021-01-11 3:03 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by melbo55

PSA for Manatees:  keep an eye on the condition of your cycling shoes.  My road shoes (Sidi) have rubber heel pads to facilitate safe walking.  Walking becomes unsafe (especially on paved, sloped driveways of friends) when the heel pads erode down to the sole.  Yesterday I was walking my bike down to the street from the top of my friend's driveway (she isn't comfortable traversing the steep-ish drive and weird drop-off from the sidewalk, so when in Rome...) when without any warning my left foot skated out from under me and I went down hard on my left hip and right knee.  No worries, the bike was fine, it had a nice, soft landing (me).  Yup, got up, shook it off, and we did our ride.

The hip initially hurt worse than the knee but ultimately the hip didn't bruise and the knee ended up with a large goose egg and an open wound (even though my pants didn't tear, just scuffed).  Yes, replacement heel pads are on the way!

Thanks for the reminder. Glad you didn't get more seriously hurt!

I saw the picture of your rubber heal thing. Good reminder.
2021-01-11 3:05 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri Oh crikey, I didn't even know about the strava leaderboard. I'm dead last behind teddy. How often does that refresh? Monthly, weekly, a year? I'm definitely going to need to pick up my pace. A good goal in the challenge sheet is also water intake goals.

Jason, you need to work the system a bit.  The leader board only tracks swim, bike, run activities.  Mark you walks as runs to have the time count toward he leaderboard (leave them alone in BT and Garmin and elsewhere if you like). If you mark them as "runs" in Strava, it will "count" on the leader board.

2021-01-11 4:29 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pennsylvania

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: My role is Bad Manatee. Whatever I do or have done, DO NOT DO. I am easily outsmarted but no one can outstupid me.

Wienerlisaaaaaaaaa {MELON PRESS} I've missed you. FB ain't the same. How're the new digs suitin' you?

Loving my new home and neighborhood! It took me a few months, but I finally figured out how to connect to the greenway system (8-10 miles of paved greenway alongside a creek) right in my neighborhood. I didn't even know how close it was when I decided to move here! A nice surprise. 

Also, little things like actually having a garage, a coat closet, a utility closet and room for storage makes me so happy. I knew I was cramped in my previous situation, but having just that little bit more space is so nice. And the fenced in back yard is CLUTCH for the weiner

Good stuff!

2021-01-11 4:49 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

We have a Workbook for those that are interested in the JoGo Challenge. Drop any questions you may have in here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ceMf8W9oB3piW2e9nUXrL7qmFJ8jteUl02gHmwU9Ds4/edit?usp=sharing

We still need to determine a check in day. How does Friday sound? We start on 1/15 and move forward from there. I can make that adjustment on the sheets easily. Let me know.

That works for me.
The weight loss one shows start of 1/11 (today), then the other sheets show the first week as 1/13. Am I missing something? Is it 11, 13, or 15? Ha.

I suspect that Chris intended for all of them to have today's date. Chris, could you please confirm?

All dates have been update to reflect Friday, 01/15 as the start date, although now that I think about it, I might have some sheets doing 5 week calculations while others are doing 6 week. I'll have to get back on it and make sure it is all good. Either way, please take a moment to make your decisions and get your name on the sheet if you are participating. I'll be reviewing on Thursday, those that are doing the weight challenge can get weighed in on Friday to start and we will be off to the races. Virtually. Sor of racing, but not really LOL.

2021-01-12 8:09 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Bronze member

that is all good stuff. Enjoy all of it.
2021-01-12 8:11 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Champion
Bronze member

PSA for Manatees:  keep an eye on the condition of your cycling shoes.  My road shoes (Sidi) have rubber heel pads to facilitate safe walking.  Walking becomes unsafe (especially on paved, sloped driveways of friends) when the heel pads erode down to the sole.  Yesterday I was walking my bike down to the street from the top of my friend's driveway (she isn't comfortable traversing the steep-ish drive and weird drop-off from the sidewalk, so when in Rome...) when without any warning my left foot skated out from under me and I went down hard on my left hip and right knee.  No worries, the bike was fine, it had a nice, soft landing (me).  Yup, got up, shook it off, and we did our ride.

The hip initially hurt worse than the knee but ultimately the hip didn't bruise and the knee ended up with a large goose egg and an open wound (even though my pants didn't tear, just scuffed).  Yes, replacement heel pads are on the way!

wow! Glad you weren't hurt too bad. I will have to check my shoes.
2021-01-12 8:18 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

That works for me.

All dates have been update to reflect Friday, 01/15 as the start date, although now that I think about it, I might have some sheets doing 5 week calculations while others are doing 6 week. I'll have to get back on it and make sure it is all good. Either way, please take a moment to make your decisions and get your name on the sheet if you are participating. I'll be reviewing on Thursday, those that are doing the weight challenge can get weighed in on Friday to start and we will be off to the races. Virtually. Sor of racing, but not really LOL.

Thanks!  I feel like making posters!

JOGO 2021 Begins January 15

2021-01-12 8:19 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I checked mine this morning. Thanks for the reminder!

2021-01-12 9:08 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

That works for me.

January 15th being a date when we enter the data for current week, or when we start working on our goals?

2021-01-12 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by ceilidh

Do any of you know anything about these events?  Robin P?

https://www.southeastgravel.com/events

I was just looking at these. My kid did one before. He said they were pretty well run. The tryon and rhe dupont one look fun!

I put a few on my calendar in case we ever get back to "normal."

Falling Creek (5/8) and Tryon (9/4) look like I could do without hotels.  The Greenwood (10/2) and Walhalla (7/10) ones look good but are a bit more of a drive.

Gravel peeps, put your thinking caps on for potential fall events.  Would an event in the GA/SC/NC are work for you?

I found something in late September in Kentucky, the Bourbon Country Burn. A few of my local gravel gruppeto are considering it, but it is probably not going to happen. So, my late summer is open. Late summer by Fl. standards. My arm could be twisted to tow the camper and stay for a bit of MTB in the WNC area as well.

2021-01-12 10:56 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by marysia83

That works for me.

January 15th being a date when we enter the data for current week, or when we start working on our goals?

Start date. Get goals in place, starting weight, etc. First week ends on 01/22 when we update the sheets and Janyne gives me a hard time for picking an easy goal 

And she should!

2021-01-12 1:21 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I was just looking at these. My kid did one before. He said they were pretty well run. The tryon and rhe dupont one look fun!

Falling Creek (5/8) and Tryon (9/4) look like I could do without hotels.  The Greenwood (10/2) and Walhalla (7/10) ones look good but are a bit more of a drive.

Gravel peeps, put your thinking caps on for potential fall events.  Would an event in the GA/SC/NC are work for you?

I found something in late September in Kentucky, the Bourbon Country Burn. A few of my local gravel gruppeto are considering it, but it is probably not going to happen. So, my late summer is open. Late summer by Fl. standards. My arm could be twisted to tow the camper and stay for a bit of MTB in the WNC area as well.

Definitely keep a WNC trip in mind!

2021-01-12 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83

That works for me.

Start date. Get goals in place, starting weight, etc. First week ends on 01/22 when we update the sheets and Janyne gives me a hard time for picking an easy goal 

And she should!

haha! I still think that you need an elevation goal.  And no, 10 feet/week is not sufficient.

2021-01-12 1:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Jim and I are doing the Burn. We rolled over from last year.

Edited by ceilidh 2021-01-12 1:31 PM

2021-01-12 1:30 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Definitely keep a WNC trip in mind!

ALWAYS keep WNC in mind.
2021-01-12 2:29 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I'm considering the weight loss sheet on the challenge. I often try to research questions online and, since I've never paid much attention to regular weigh-ins, I found this: https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercises/weigh-yourself-guidelines

Sidenote: Even without a proper weigh-in regimen, it looks like I may be down a couple pounds just from work in the past week. Ready now though to start logging on Friday.
2021-01-12 2:56 PM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Micawber I'm considering the weight loss sheet on the challenge. I often try to research questions online and, since I've never paid much attention to regular weigh-ins, I found this: https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercises/weigh-yourself-guidelines Sidenote: Even without a proper weigh-in regimen, it looks like I may be down a couple pounds just from work in the past week. Ready now though to start logging on Friday.

I am moving away from a concrete weight loss one (i am up about 10lbs since i had my second kid but it's still not an unhealthy weight for me) and focusing more on process goal of increasing fruits/veg. This I feel is better for me - as i keep reading about how this is positive overall for health, fuelling, etc. 

I really liked how Laura Vanderkam frames process goals. https://lauravanderkam.com/2020/12/celebrate-your-good-habits/

And i have also really enjoyed following the Nutrition Tea for some gut checks about health and diet culture https://www.instagram.com/thenutritiontea/ 

2021-01-12 7:25 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by alaskatri Oh crikey, I didn't even know about the strava leaderboard. I'm dead last behind teddy. How often does that refresh? Monthly, weekly, a year? I'm definitely going to need to pick up my pace. A good goal in the challenge sheet is also water intake goals.

Jason, you need to work the system a bit.  The leader board only tracks swim, bike, run activities.  Mark you walks as runs to have the time count toward he leaderboard (leave them alone in BT and Garmin and elsewhere if you like). If you mark them as "runs" in Strava, it will "count" on the leader board.

Gotcha. I wanted to keep track of runs and walks separately to see where I end up on the year, so I won't bother gaming the system. Ill just have to go further to keep up with Teddy.

Edited by alaskatri 2021-01-12 8:05 PM
2021-01-12 10:59 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Same here. I've almost never struggled with my weight (if anything, have difficulty keeping it up during really intense training blocks, especially for IM and marathon) but I feel like my eating could be healthier. I really need to eat more, and a greater variety of, fruits and veggies, plus more whole grains. I actually did better when I was living by myself. Mom isn't that into fruits and veggies, and she's been doing most of the cooking during the work week. It's just been easier to eat what she makes than try to supplement it with other stuff. And breakfast--I tend to eat the same fruit (berries) all the time. I do like other fruit; I just don't go to the store that often now, and frozen berries are good!

2021-01-13 5:51 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Hot Runner Same here. I've almost never struggled with my weight (if anything, have difficulty keeping it up during really intense training blocks, especially for IM and marathon) but I feel like my eating could be healthier. I really need to eat more, and a greater variety of, fruits and veggies, plus more whole grains. I actually did better when I was living by myself. Mom isn't that into fruits and veggies, and she's been doing most of the cooking during the work week. It's just been easier to eat what she makes than try to supplement it with other stuff. And breakfast--I tend to eat the same fruit (berries) all the time. I do like other fruit; I just don't go to the store that often now, and frozen berries are good!

Jen and Karen, I am with you this year, which is a change for me. In the past I would set a numeric weight goal and hit it without too much trouble, but the next thing you know, the challenge is over and the weight is back on. So, the process has become more important. For you it is about your intake, for me, that is all about movement. If I am moving more, riding the bike and generally being more active, my weight drops and my emotional well being improves. So, I am setting that as my short term goal for the next month and a half. 4 rides/5hours on the bike per week. At the end of JoGo this year, I have promised myself that I will take an honest assessment. At that point, I will adjust some goals and see how events look and make more decisions on the direction for the year. Or maybe for the next month, if that is how it breaks down. I hope to set the base to be a little more able to choose events/rides on the fly. If something comes up, I don't want a lack of fitness to be the deciding factor. 

And then another part of this is the age/weight/food intake part. I have ALWAYS eaten too much of the wrong foods. Home office life has increased that. And that plays a part in all this as well. So another piece of this is to keep tabs on the food, not necessarily remove things from my diet, but assess what I feel like. How do I feel after adding more fruits? How do I feel with less red meat? It is all a bit intangible, but my effort will be to get more in tune to the cause and effect of it all. Both from a body standpoint and an emotional/mental standpoint.

2021-01-13 6:01 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Gotcha. I wanted to keep track of runs and walks separately to see where I end up on the year, so I won't bother gaming the system. Ill just have to go further to keep up with Teddy.

Personally, I am keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn't start to bike or swim! 

2021-01-13 6:43 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Personally, I am keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn't start to bike or swim! 

LOL, he does swim but I don't so he gets no credit! Biking's a bit more of a challenge

2021-01-13 8:10 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

So with you Chris, i definitely struggle when i feel like there is deprivation. So for me it's about changing my mentality about making room for the nutritious stuff and making sure that no food is actually off limits helps me a lot. 

Let's do this ... 

On a sillier front - i definitely have a 'fancy' cyclist problem at my house. My husband has a Tacx Neo trainer and i have Saris Hammer - we are definitely fortunate to have two smart trainers and we use the same tablet to run Zwift and if i am not careful, it picks up the Tacx sensors instead of the Saris - and it is 3 of them on that main page of Zwift. I did it last night where I changed one sensor thinking the others automatically did but the other two didn't and then erg mode wasn't working properly so i had to stop, re-pair the sensor and start again. 

anybody else got 'fancy' problems? 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74